And then Reality sets in...

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: And then Reality sets in...

Post by clenz »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Robsnotes4u wrote:GATW we aren't living in 2008 we are living in 2014. Different players, Different coach.
Lets see how you do with the Bison, then we can have that conversation.
You're right. Weber doesn't have anywhere near the talent they did in '08. This Griz team has as much or more than that one did.

Plus, you brought them up, not me. :kisswink:
If you want to play common opponents why not use usd?
Robsnotes4u
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Cats, Sioux, Griz
A.K.A.: Robsnotes4u

Post by Robsnotes4u »

clenz wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
You're right. Weber doesn't have anywhere near the talent they did in '08. This Griz team has as much or more than that one did.

He had to bring up 2008 when I am talking now. He couldn't handle a USD comparison
You will never know what a good is unless you have experienced a bad day
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

clenz wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:

I don't want to play common opponents. All I said is I'm not "glad" we don't play Weber this year, as I don't think we'd have any trouble with them. I think you need to look at the strengths and weaknesses of both teams in a given matchup in order to make a fair assessment/prediction.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

If the final score is actually a 25-point difference, nobody will beat NDSU this year.
I'll say right now that I think there is a good chance that Northern Iowa will beat North Dakota State when the Bison hit the road to play the Panthers late in the season.

As far as Montana goes: If the spread is 25 I will take the Griz. Obviously I would pick North Dakota State to win the game straight up. But I would not give 25 points and I will not be shocked if Montana wins. Surprised, yes. Shocked, no.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote:The oddsmakers don't base the spread on what they think the score will end up. They base the spread on a number that will generate the most action. And if the # is moving down, that means most of the money is being bet on the Griz to cover. Again, if I had LEGAL access to a way to bet in Vegas, I'd put a grand down right now on the Griz to cover. I will be in Vegas NEXT weekend, and could collect at that time, because I'm 100% positive the Griz will cover that spread. That's an FBS/FCS game spread. I won't bet 5 dimes, because I don't want to get fired and go to jail for doing something that's illegal.
Wait. Has anybody actually ever been arrested for betting online? :?
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

Robsnotes4u wrote:
clenz wrote: If you want to play common opponents why not use usd?
He had to bring up 2008 when I am talking now. He couldn't handle a USD comparison
I know you hate the Griz (in b4 you bring up your wife...AGAIN), and yes, we're probably a bit overrated right now, but you're putting way too much into the transitive property.

Chances are NDSU just had a bad game against weber, and would probably roll them if they played again. They aren't good. Montana would likely roll them on a given day, as well. We could lose, but NDSU could lose this weekend, too.

It's probably not going to happen, but you're acting like the Griz chance of victory is a hard, fast 0%, which it most certainly is not. If JJ plays to his proven potential this week (finally), a Griz victory would not be shocking.
Robsnotes4u
Level1
Level1

Post by Robsnotes4u »

uofmman1122 wrote:
Robsnotes4u wrote: He had to bring up 2008 when I am talking now. He couldn't handle a USD comparison
I know you hate the Griz (in b4 you bring up your wife...AGAIN), and yes, we're probably a bit overrated right now, but you're putting way too much into the transitive property.

Chances are NDSU just had a bad game against weber, and would probably roll them if they played again. They aren't good. Montana would likely roll them on a given day, as well. We could lose, but NDSU could lose this weekend, too.

It's probably not going to happen, but you're acting like the Griz chance of victory is a hard, fast 0%, which it most certainly is not. If JJ plays to his proven potential this week (finally), a Griz victory would not be shocking.
Hate the Griz, nope. Cheering for them. Chance to win, yes it is something like 3.9% to win, not cover when you are 25 point underdogs. So yes it would be very schocking.

Weber played a good game, give them some credit.

I have watched every Griz game, the last with an ex-Griz lineman. When he left my house he said the Griz will not be within 40 points. He knows football, and likes to watch with me because of my honest assessments.

Before you bring in your BS AGAIN. Take of the glasses and use your head.

Since, I am so wrong, what is the number, Mr. Oddsmaker. Where do you put the number at and why? just don't pick a number, anyone can do that, justify it.

I
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Robsnotes4u wrote:
uofmman1122 wrote: I know you hate the Griz (in b4 you bring up your wife...AGAIN), and yes, we're probably a bit overrated right now, but you're putting way too much into the transitive property.

Hate the Griz, nope. Cheering for them. Chance to win, yes it is something like 3.9% to win, not cover when you are 25 point underdogs. So yes it would be very schocking.

Weber played a good game, give them some credit.

I have watched every Griz game, the last with an ex-Griz lineman. When he left my house he said the Griz will not be within 40 points. He knows football, and likes to watch with me because of my honest assessments.

Before you bring in your BS AGAIN. Take of the glasses and use your head.

Since, I am so wrong, what is the number, Mr. Oddsmaker. Where do you put the number at and why? just don't pick a number, anyone can do that, justify it.

I
Well if he said so, it must be the gospel truth. God knows all of the ex-NFL talking heads know exactly what they're talking about. :lol: :roll:
Robsnotes4u
Level1
Level1

Post by Robsnotes4u »

I guess all of the Message board Griz fans are right, because they are.....message board Griz fans.

If it doesn't agree with the Griz winning it is wrong?

I guess oddsmakers and other people cant use facts; stats, common opponents, other games, etc. to determine what it takes to make a fair game. If that is the case, without watching you and I play a set of 10 ball, a race to 15 for $1000. I get 4 games on the wire and the orange crush. Since I am not allowed to look at anything factual, I think that is a fair handicap. Want to play?

It would be nice to have a conversation, using facts, instead of you using snide remarks. Please give me your point spread, or is it an even game? How many posts have you made in this thread, that bring any facts to the conversation? What makes this game fair 2 TD's 3TD's, the Bison only getting to play 1st stringers for a quarter, what is it, and why?

I really like the Griz, but it is time for the Message Board Fanbase, to quit living in the past. This point spread has embarrassed Griz Nation. If it really happens, egriz will explode, Delaney will have signs in his yard like Coach Gaines of the Permian Panthers, not to say a riot like in Ferguson. Go back and read the title to the thread, I will leave you with this quote from a Griz.

"If we can't move the ball our defense will be worn out and get steamrolled in the second half. And you are right out our kicking game....embarrassing. If I had to bet I'd lay the points. Couldn't take the Griz for less than 31 points. Who would have ever thought that would happen."
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

I think the game will be decided by 2 TDs or less, either way. Saying we won't be able to stay within 40 points of another FCS team is ludicrous.
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

Well shit guys, I guess we might as well not even show up.

Thinking about cheering for the Griz and hoping for an upset victory, you entitled, overconfident shitbag Griz fan?

Accept the fact that upsets never happen, NDSU is god's gift to football, and keep fighting for second place.

Anything else is just disgusting. :ohno:
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

If I were the Griz, I'd be P-O'd ...
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Aho Old Guy wrote:If I were the Griz, I'd be P-O'd ...
They shouldn't need any extra motivation for a game like this, but I'm sure not being given a chance will get them even more psyched up. Worked out well against JMU in '08 and the Boobcats in 2011. :nod:
Robsnotes4u
Level1
Level1

Post by Robsnotes4u »

Cmon guys this talk means nothing, it is about a game. A game that we aren't involved in. Can there be upsets, yes. Look up Larry Owings, arguably the biggest upset of all in sports.

The Griz should have plenty of motivation, can the coaches turn it into positives. Hope so. Can JJ step up and play like people think he can play? Can the OL keep Emmaneul off of JJ? Can the Bison OL, and offense as a whole keep the pressure of the Griz DL from frustrating a first year starter in Wentz? And the biggest question, are the Griz going to be able to hold up in the third and 4th quarters, when every other team folds?

Who has more pressure in this game. The Bison, to keep the streak alive and at home? The Griz, to build on a reputation of a Great FCS team, and keep them from being a has been in others eyes?

On another note, if you have not had a chance to watch Villanova, watch them play this weekend. They have one helluva football team. Robertson, is a great QB.
Robsnotes4u
Level1
Level1

Post by Robsnotes4u »

Grizalltheway wrote:I think the game will be decided by 2 TDs or less, either way. Saying we won't be able to stay within 40 points of another FCS team is ludicrous.
Why, and Why?
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

Montana 16
NDSU 14
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Robsnotes4u wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:I think the game will be decided by 2 TDs or less, either way. Saying we won't be able to stay within 40 points of another FCS team is ludicrous.
Why, and Why?
Griz defense is significantly improved from last year. NDSU's offense is physical and efficient, but I think we can match them in the trenches. We also platoon a lot of players on defense like they do, so I think we at least have a chance of not being completely worn out by the 4th quarter.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Cap'n Cat wrote:Montana 16
NDSU 14
Thank you for giving the Griz the kiss-o-death this week :thumb:

Next D1B puts another hex on the Bison to seal the deal :lol:
Robsnotes4u
Level1
Level1

Post by Robsnotes4u »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Robsnotes4u wrote:
Why, and Why?
Griz defense is significantly improved from last year. NDSU's offense is physical and efficient, but I think we can match them in the trenches. We also platoon a lot of players on defense like they do, so I think we at least have a chance of not being completely worn out by the 4th quarter.
The Griz Defense line is stout, and they did give up 20 to USD. How does Montana keep from being one dimensional, they only rushed for 42 yards against a Wyoming team?
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Robsnotes4u wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
The Griz Defense line is stout, and they did give up 20 to USD. How does Montana keep from being one dimensional, they only rushed for 42 yards against a Wyoming team?
Establishing the run, to some extent, is obviously key. The young O-line seems to have gelled quite a bit since the Wyo game, particularly in the second half against USD. I know their D isn't on the same level as NDSU's, but we rushed for over 200 yards in that one. A lot of things have to go right for us to win this one, but as a fan, you have to be optimistic that they will. :thumb:
Robsnotes4u
Level1
Level1

Post by Robsnotes4u »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Robsnotes4u wrote:
Establishing the run, to some extent, is obviously key. The young O-line seems to have gelled quite a bit since the Wyo game, particularly in the second half against USD. I know their D isn't on the same level as NDSU's, but we rushed for over 200 yards in that one. A lot of things have to go right for us to win this one, but as a fan, you have to be optimistic that they will. :thumb:
Optimism is good. Hey the Griz haven't turned over the ball yet, a streak they definitely need to keep. The streak the need to end, NDSU not giving up a single point in the second half
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Robsnotes4u wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
Optimism is good. Hey the Griz haven't turned over the ball yet, a streak they definitely need to keep. The streak the need to end, NDSU not giving up a single point in the second half
I think BOTH of those streaks end this weekend. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

If that spread is official, then this is the game of games to take the points.

NDSU wins straight up, but there is NO way they cover a spread like THAT. Take the Griz and the points and win some easy cache....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
MTfan4life
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by MTfan4life »

Robsnotes4u wrote:What happens in this scenario. Griz loss by the 25 points the 5dimes opened at, or lets even go with the current 23. So they lose by 23.

Are the Griz happy they dont have to play Weber State, especially after the "you only beat Weber by 17"?

That one will be a fun conversation to read. You know it is coming.
All this overhype of Weber and your earlier use of the transitive property meaning anything in college football really dim your claims. If Weber is so strong, does that mean that the Sacramento State team that dominated their defense and beat them by double digits is on or near the level of NDSU? It's weird how Weber's close game with NDSU has all these fans over here thinking they're so strong. The Griz happy for not playing Weber State?? Maybe if the Griz all of a sudden became Idaho State, but otherwise, no. Let's say you swap the UND game for a game against Weber State. Weber would be the 5th, 6th, or maybe even the 7th best conference team on the Griz's schedule.
Robsnotes4u
Level1
Level1

Post by Robsnotes4u »

you don't read very well, do?? First sentence a a question. Second sentence a question. The only thing stated is if the above happens there will be a conversation.

You are better than that aren't you?

You guys are so butt hurt because nobody believes in your team and you perceive the 25 point line in unfair.

Sad. Maybe reads the title again