MOVE TO FBS??????

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
jacksdude0109
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU

MOVE TO FBS??????

Post by jacksdude0109 »

Anybody else think this has to be a typo?

"Other universities that have discussed taking a leap of faith upward include, among others, James Madison, Delaware, Northern Iowa, Cal-Poly, Villanova, Jacksonville State, Northern Arizona and Sam Houston State."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/sp ... s.xml?f=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by jacksdude0109 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacksdude0109
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU

Re: MOVE TO FBS??????

Post by jacksdude0109 »

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/sp ... s.xml?f=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

EWURanger has been predicting a major re-alignment in the near future where the major BCS conferences could separate from the rest of FBS leaving a 2nd tier of MAC's, Sun Belts, etc. If that is a possibility it makes sense for any FCS programs with decent attendance and success to look at a move up to join that division 2nd division. And it makes some some sense. FBS Mid majors in many instances are far closer in scope to the App States and even the NAU's of the world than they are to a Texas.
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

If this predicted rift between the true big boys and the middes happens... yes. You'll see the top tier of FCS "move up" and you'll see the mid majors "move down" in to a division that has a robust playoff system.

I don't see that happening though. What I see as more likely is a few big stadium mid majors look to move up with the voids left all over FBS. In particular, James Madison has the facility to do it.

Northern Iowa's stadium (much like 3/4 of the Dakota schools) precludes them from moving up unless the 30k stadium rule is lifted.

I do think more schools will add football again. I think you'll see an expansion in California in the next few years, as the financial situation for the Cal St and UC systems improves. Fullerton, Northridge, Irvine... the Big West seems ripe to pluck Davis, Sacramento and Poly and capitalize on the very rich recruiting territory in the west.
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:If this predicted rift between the true big boys and the middes happens... yes. You'll see the top tier of FCS "move up" and you'll see the mid majors "move down" in to a division that has a robust playoff system.

I don't see that happening though. What I see as more likely is a few big stadium mid majors look to move up with the voids left all over FBS. In particular, James Madison has the facility to do it.

Northern Iowa's stadium (much like 3/4 of the Dakota schools) precludes them from moving up unless the 30k stadium rule is lifted.

I do think more schools will add football again. I think you'll see an expansion in California in the next few years, as the financial situation for the Cal St and UC systems improves. Fullerton, Northridge, Irvine... the Big West seems ripe to pluck Davis, Sacramento and Poly and capitalize on the very rich recruiting territory in the west.
Uh...no, it's not. There will be no CA schools adding football. Bank on it.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

There were plenty of hbcu schools that entertained this crazy thought all came to their senses and dropped the idea due to a weak financial foundation.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I know of one FCS school with the financial wherewithal to jump to FBS, but I'm not sure they'll have the recruiting required to pull it off. That's Liberty.

As far as TTBF's idea of Cali schools getting back into football, that would be nice, but as SD said, that ship has sailed. That is brought home to me every day as I watch the condemned Amos Alonzo Stagg Memorial Stadium at UOP deteriorate before my very eyes because there is no team to justify rehabbing or replacing it. Actually, it's at a point now where a complete replacement would be required; it's beyond repair. And I have it on good authority that that ain't happening, not the least of which because certain idiot donors have the crazy idea that anything below FBS doesn't exist or isn't worth pursuing. And I'm sure that the situation is quite similar at the UCs and CSUs with a football history.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
goroute
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: UC Davis

Post by goroute »

SDHornet wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:If this predicted rift between the true big boys and the middes happens... yes. You'll see the top tier of FCS "move up" and you'll see the mid majors "move down" in to a division that has a robust playoff system.

Uh...no, it's not. There will be no CA schools adding football. Bank on it.

Totally agree; there is no way any CA schools will add or bring back football, too bad, but true.
JayJ79
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: myself

Post by JayJ79 »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:Northern Iowa's stadium (much like 3/4 of the Dakota schools) precludes them from moving up unless the 30k stadium rule is lifted.
There is no 30K stadium requirement for FBS. (and none of the Dakota schools have a 30K stadium anyway)
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

JayJ79 wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:Northern Iowa's stadium (much like 3/4 of the Dakota schools) precludes them from moving up unless the 30k stadium rule is lifted.
There is no 30K stadium requirement for FBS. (and none of the Dakota schools have a 30K stadium anyway)
14 teams currently have capacities under 30K, and 15 more are between 30k and 31k.

The attendance "rule" is 15K average over a rolling 2 season period, which clearly isn't enforced and is easily gotten around. How many times a year do we see a smaller school players a BCS conference school at a neutral site with the smaller team hosting. Heck, this year NIU hosted Iowa at Soldier Field. The crowd was 80-90% Iowa, but NIU got to count 52K for a home game.

In 2011 years ago Florida Atlantic hosted Michigan State AT FORD FIELD IN DETRIOT and got to count it as a home game of 70K people.

UNI and NDSU both have larger venues than Idaho.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

clenz wrote:The attendance "rule" is 15K average over a rolling 2 season period, which clearly isn't enforced and is easily gotten around. How many times a year do we see a smaller school players a BCS conference school at a neutral site with the smaller team hosting. Heck, this year NIU hosted Iowa at Soldier Field. The crowd was 80-90% Iowa, but NIU got to count 52K for a home game.
Unethical, but geographically realistic.
clenz wrote:In 2011 years ago Florida Atlantic hosted Michigan State AT FORD FIELD IN DETRIOT and got to count it as a home game of 70K people.
That's freaking DISGUSTING! It makes NO rational sense to allow a "home" game THAT far away from one's home base. Why not Tampa Bay or Miami's pro stadia? Still unethical in my book, but better that Detroit. Would have done better at the gate in terms of home fans, too.
clenz wrote:UNI and NDSU both have larger venues than Idaho.
Doesn't surprise me in the least. I ALSO wouldn't be surprised if UNI and NDSU beat Idalol 8 out of ten. But Idalol would run away scared. The won't even face Montana anymore, and they're practically right next door....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

SuperHornet wrote:
clenz wrote:The attendance "rule" is 15K average over a rolling 2 season period, which clearly isn't enforced and is easily gotten around. How many times a year do we see a smaller school players a BCS conference school at a neutral site with the smaller team hosting. Heck, this year NIU hosted Iowa at Soldier Field. The crowd was 80-90% Iowa, but NIU got to count 52K for a home game.
clenz wrote:In 2011 years ago Florida Atlantic hosted Michigan State AT FORD FIELD IN DETRIOT and got to count it as a home game of 70K people.
That's freaking DISGUSTING! It makes NO rational sense to allow a "home" game THAT far away from one's home base. Why not Tampa Bay or Miami's pro stadia? Still unethical in my book, but better that Detroit. Would have done better at the gate in terms of home fans, too.
clenz wrote:UNI and NDSU both have larger venues than Idaho.
Doesn't surprise me in the least. I ALSO wouldn't be surprised if UNI and NDSU beat Idalol 8 out of ten. But Idalol would run away scared. The won't even face Montana anymore, and they're practically right next door....
Well, they did have the balls to play us this season. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

I think the way the Northridge experiment ended a few years back has put the kibash on any LA metro school not named USC or UCLA from playing DI football. Also, California's financial shape, like most of the other states, is broken and will need a major overhaul to recover. I, for one, do not see it happening for at least 10 years from now.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

There is a portion of the UD fanbase that wants to move up but financially UD is in no shape to do it right now. Our President has also shown very little interest in the FB program over his tenure - I can't see him supporting this.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

bluehenbillk wrote:There is a portion of the UD fanbase that wants to move up
Not me.
JayJ79
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: myself

Post by JayJ79 »

SuperHornet wrote:
I don't see what's "unethical" about it. It might be silly, but it doesn't really hurt or hinder anyone.
Fact
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Villanova
A.K.A.: meek millz

Post by Fact »

Villanova isn't going anywhere unless they get a serious offer from a stable BCS conference, which has dick chance of happening.
http://twitter.com/TheFoyeEffect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seahawks08
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by Seahawks08 »

Villanova isn't going anywhere unless they get a serious offer from a stable BCS conference, which has dick chance of happening.
aka the ACC which like you said, ain't happening. C7 and CAA it is!