Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

FBS Going 'Playoff' in 2014-15

Post by Aho Old Guy »

Put on yer big boy pants, FBS ...

University presidents approve college football playoff starting in 2014 season
No. 1 will play No. 4, and No. 2 will play No. 3 on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1. The sites of those games will rotate among the four current BCS bowls — Rose, Orange, Fiesta and Sugar — and two more to be determined.

The winners will advance to the championship on the first Monday in January that is six or more days after the last semifinal. The first championship Monday is set for Jan. 12, 2015.

The site of the title game will move around the way the Super Bowl does, with cities bidding for the right to host.

The teams will be selected by a committee, similar to the way the NCAA basketball tournament field is set.
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: FBS Going 'Playoff' in 2014-15

Post by AZGrizFan »

Slowly but surely, they're getting there.

Maybe in my lifetime....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2

Post by Aho Old Guy »

Are you going to make it to Jan. 12, 2015, AZ ?? Where do we send the flowers ??

Has President Obama put yah under a death panel watch ??

:rofl:

I'd take 12 teams - top 4 seeded with first round byes

Second round games played 'on-campus' with seeds getting the home games.

Then do the fancy bowl rotation ...

'You' old guys probably won't see that :D
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Aho Old Guy wrote:Are you going to make it to Jan. 12, 2015, AZ ?? Where do we send the flowers ??

Said teams still selected by a 'committee'....that's not a true playoff....like i said, they're GETTING there...
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Aho Old Guy wrote:Are you going to make it to Jan. 12, 2015, AZ ?? Where do we send the flowers ??

Said teams still selected by a 'committee'....that's not a true playoff....like i said, they're GETTING there...
..... so same as FCS? :dunce:

Fuck it, let's not have college football at all. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: ....

Eight of our teams aren't selected by committee. Is that so difficult to understand?
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2

Post by Aho Old Guy »

That's why I think it needs to be 12 teams, AZ :twisted:

As alumni, contributors and fans, we should DEMAND it -- don't let them sign that 12 year contract. That's Bull Sheet.

Rounds #1 & #2 - weeks following Thanksgiving

That gives folks a 'light' month to make travel plans for the Big Four.

I'm too paranoid to be on Facebook, but CS should start a page :thumb:
- John Galt
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I don't care how they spin this. It's NOT a playoff. It's a freaking nonsensical invitational, and not a very good one at that. You HAVE to have EVERY conference get an auto-bid with at least a couple of at-larges besides. That speaks more for 16. And that only leaves room for SIX at-larges (assuming, of course, that the WAC no longer qualifies).

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

I'd be happy w/ 8 as long as every conf had at least 12 teams and a conf title game, otherwise I'd want 12 to 16. The conf title would be like a first round. I'd even be okay w/ 8 and ACC, B12, B1G, SEC, PAC being AQ w/ 3 at-large. 4 still better than 2, both were better than being forced into bowls where 1 couldn't play 2.

Do the FBSers get an actual D-I championship plaque now or just the crystal ball? Does it not count as an actual NCAA championship w/o AQs for winning your conf?
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

Eight of our teams aren't selected by committee. Is that so difficult to understand?
Ten

Soon to be eleven.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

SuperHornet wrote:I don't care how they spin this. It's NOT a playoff. It's a freaking nonsensical invitational, and not a very good one at that. You HAVE to have EVERY conference get an auto-bid with at least a couple of at-larges besides. That speaks more for 16. And that only leaves room for SIX at-larges (assuming, of course, that the WAC no longer qualifies).
That, will never happen. What don't you get that there are 2 main issues associated with FBS football - money & control. They are tripling the postseason money and the inequality gap in total dollars in per league will be even wider than previous so that covers that end. The power conferences still have control & will never give that up. They'll fold their tents & create their own entity before they are sharing control with the MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt, etc. They won't let the MWC in & they've given the Big East the boot from the big boy table & the ACC is dangling.

On a side note: This should officially end the FBS & FCS monikers: as of today I'm going back to Divisions 1-A & 1-AA. Who's with me?
Make Delaware Football Great Again
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Oh, I've got that trash FIRMLY in mind, hen. What I think OUGHT to happen and what REALLY will happen (at least in the near term) are two entirely different things, and the C&C Boys (Cash and Control) are the big reasons why, as you say. They look down their long noses and spew forth about how the "little guys" have no business playing them in big games because they "haven't played anybody," yet run away from them in the little games like a scared little girl. They're disgusting hypocrites, and the unmentioned, OBVIOUS things behind it all are the C&C Boys.

:ohno:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

bluehenbillk wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:I don't care how they spin this. It's NOT a playoff. It's a freaking nonsensical invitational, and not a very good one at that. You HAVE to have EVERY conference get an auto-bid with at least a couple of at-larges besides. That speaks more for 16. And that only leaves room for SIX at-larges (assuming, of course, that the WAC no longer qualifies).
That, will never happen. What don't you get that there are 2 main issues associated with FBS football - money & control. They are tripling the postseason money and the inequality gap in total dollars in per league will be even wider than previous so that covers that end. The power conferences still have control & will never give that up. They'll fold their tents & create their own entity before they are sharing control with the MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt, etc. They won't let the MWC in & they've given the Big East the boot from the big boy table & the ACC is dangling.

On a side note: This should officially end the FBS & FCS monikers: as of today I'm going back to Divisions 1-A & 1-AA. Who's with me?
Keep FCS, since it's a lot closer to being the truth. :twocents:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

bluehenbillk wrote:That, will never happen. What don't you get that there are 2 main issues associated with FBS football - money & control. They are tripling the postseason money and the inequality gap in total dollars in per league will be even wider than previous so that covers that end. The power conferences still have control & will never give that up. They'll fold their tents & create their own entity before they are sharing control with the MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt, etc. They won't let the MWC in & they've given the Big East the boot from the big boy table & the ACC is dangling.
How far has the Big 12 come? It looked like they're going to lose Texas, Oklahoma, etc. to the PAC and they manage to keep them and survive. They lose Nebraska to the B1G0 and survive. They lose TAM and Missouri to the SEC and start to look shaky again. Bob Bowlsby comes on board and the whole perspective changes - they go from being rumored prey to rumored predator and displace the ACC as the 4th conference at the table.
Last edited by UNI88 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm not so sure about that, 88. The Pac-12 has already offered TX, and were turned down. Will they want to go back there again? The Big Ten's experience with Notre Dame in that regard might tell for TX. Besides, they make NO geographic sense for the Pac-12, even with the presence of CO and UT.

TX would do better trying to get the SWC band back together....

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote:I'm not so sure about that, 88. The Pac-12 has already offered TX, and were turned down. Will they want to go back there again? The Big Ten's experience with Notre Dame in that regard might tell for TX. Besides, they make NO geographic sense for the Pac-12, even with the presence of CO and UT.

TX would do better trying to get the SWC band back together....
Fixed a typo ... I should have said it looked (not looks) like they were going to lose Texas, Oklahoma, etc. They went from being on the brink of irrelevancy to being a player.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Ah. OK. That makes more sense.

SeawolvesFan90
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Stony Brook University
A.K.A.: Seawolves

Post by SeawolvesFan90 »

FBS football is pretty disappointing. I wish the NCAA had absolute control of the FBS and that it would be more like the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Oh well... at least D-I FCS is still the sole league that could crown a NCAA D-I Football National Champion!
Stony Brook Fans, Join us at http://www.sbufan.createaforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go Seawolves!!
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

SeawolvesFan90 wrote:FBS football is pretty disappointing. I wish the NCAA had absolute control of the FBS and that it would be more like the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Oh well... at least D-I FCS is still the sole league that could crown a NCAA D-I Football National Champion!
until January 2015.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

bluehenbillk wrote:
SeawolvesFan90 wrote:FBS football is pretty disappointing. I wish the NCAA had absolute control of the FBS and that it would be more like the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Oh well... at least D-I FCS is still the sole league that could crown a NCAA D-I Football National Champion!
until January 2015.
They might CALL it a champion, hen, but that would STILL be a lie. Even at that point, the only TRUE D-I football champion will be in FCS/I-AA....

bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

SuperHornet wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:
until January 2015.
They might CALL it a champion, hen, but that would STILL be a lie. Even at that point, the only TRUE D-I football champion will be in FCS/I-AA....

Point/counter-point:
So if a team goes 11-0 and dominates all season, and loses to a team that was 7-4 in the FCS playoffs, and for argument sakes, let's say the two teams were in the same conference. Is that producing a "truer national champion"?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Yes.

bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4

Post by bluehenbillk »

OK, keep telling yourself that....

They'll never in our great grandchildrens lifetime open up to as many teams as say March Madness does - the Big East regular season is a farce when you realize the entire top half of the league makes it. Why pay attention before March 1st?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

So if a team goes 11-0 and dominates all season, and loses to a team that was 7-4 in the FCS playoffs, and for argument sakes, let's say the two teams were in the same conference. Is that producing a "truer national champion"?
In my opinion yes because of what I what I wrote before. Champion and "best team" are not necessarily the same thing and I don't think the point of a championship playoff should be to identify the best team. Sometimes, maybe most times, there is no single "best team." A lot can depend on who teams match up with and how they match up with them. To me a true championship system includes the principle that every team in the realm controls its own destiny. And FCS is very close to that. All but one of the conferences have auto bids so every team in a conference except one controls its own destiny. And if you go 11-0 then lose in the playoffs under circumstances you describe you had a chance to control your own destiny and didn't get it done.

Teams get into the tournament then the last team standing is the champion. And it's a true champion even if it's not the best team.

The new FBS system doesn't approach that. Not only will the majority of teams not control their own destinies, NO team will. Yes, teams in some conferences will have a really good shot. Like the SEC champ is close to a shoe in if they win all their games. But there's no guarantee. It depends on how other teams do and what the selection committee thinks.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

bluehenbillk wrote:OK, keep telling yourself that....

They'll never in our great grandchildrens lifetime open up to as many teams as say March Madness does - the Big East regular season is a farce when you realize the entire top half of the league makes it. Why pay attention before March 1st?
I don't think anyone thinks they should. I'd be happy with 8 or 16 teams. :nod: