Santorum to Puerto Rico Speak English if you want statehood

Political discussions
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Santorum to Puerto Rico Speak English if you want statehood

Post by FargoBison »

The guy just can't help himself....I'm sure Romney will be happy to know that Santorum just handed PR and all its delegates to him on a silver platter...
"Like any other state, there has to be compliance with this and any other federal law," Santorum said. "And that is that English has to be the principal language. There are other states with more than one language such as Hawaii but to be a state of the United States, English has to be the principal language."

However, the U.S. Constitution does not designate an official language, nor is there a requirement that a territory adopt English as its primary language in order to become a state.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/ ... 6Z20120314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Santorum to Puerto Rico Speak English if you want stateh

Post by dbackjon »

What a moron...
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ricardo es muy muy loco!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

In general, I like Santorum. Not as much as Sarah, by any means. But I like him. MUCH more than Romney.

That said, he's wrong here. English-only is a States Rights issue, IMO. The Feds have no call to say anything about this. Nobody said a word about it when HI and AK with their indigenous languages came in, and it should be no different here.

I don't know that he's officially blown it yet. But he'll want to be a bit more careful, to say the least.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SuperHornet wrote:In general, I like Santorum. Not as much as Sarah, by any means. But I like him. MUCH more than Romney.

That said, he's wrong here. English-only is a States Rights issue, IMO. The Feds have no call to say anything about this. Nobody said a word about it when HI and AK with their indigenous languages came in, and it should be no different here.

I don't know that he's officially blown it yet. But he'll want to be a bit more careful, to say the least.
Why don't you like Romney? What DO you like Sarah? She's a total joke. Actually, I would LOVE to see her win the WH. She would get in over her head and just implode.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

You guys are just all misogynists....

:ohno:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SuperHornet wrote:You guys are just all misogynists....

Or realists...depending on how you look at it...look at reality that is...
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

English their primary language if they want to pursue U.S. statehood, a statement at odds with the U.S. Constitution
I'm a little confused here and by no means am I even close to an expert on the Constitution, but the fact that it doesn't say English has to be their primary language to become a state doesn't mean the US can't/shouldn't require it by simply not voting them a state until they do adopt English. I doubt the Constitution says anywhere that a state has to have elected leaders instead of a monarch, but I'm sure that Congress would make that a requirement before even having a vote on it.

States don't have states rights until they are a state, do they? We can debate whether a requirement for them to adopt English is right or wrong, but I don't see how it's at odds with the Constitution.
Article IV - The States
Section 3

Clause 1:

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Clause 2:

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.
The Constitution is pretty open ended when it comes to making new states and Congress is the one who decides what requirements a territory needs.
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

It has nothing to do with her being a woman. She is just a complete idiot that isn't fit to run a lemonade stand let alone the USA. :dunce:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Great response. Call us misogynists. For your infor, i'd support Condi Rice.

Lets hear why Palin is wonderful?
TwinTownBisonFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TwinTownBisonFan »

Ibanez wrote:

I wouldn't support her, but I'd trust her as POTUS and CiC just fine...

Palin however - nuttier than squirrel shit... she and Bachmann are funny farm material.

SH - just because someone assails her credentials doesn't make them a misogynist... it makes them accurate. I get that you're all about advancing women and what not (seriously, most women even the uber-feminists i know aren't as seemingly passionate as you are about it...) - but damn man... advance GOOD and QUALIFIED women who have competence... they do exist in Conkistan (if in limited quantities)
North Dakota State University Bison 2011 and 2012 National Champions

Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Palin however - nuttier than squirrel shit... she and Bachmann are funny farm material.

SH - just because someone assails her credentials doesn't make them a misogynist... it makes them accurate. I get that you're all about advancing women and what not (seriously, most women even the uber-feminists i know aren't as seemingly passionate as you are about it...) - but damn man... advance GOOD and QUALIFIED women who have competence... they do exist in Conkistan (if in limited quantities)
Just leave Hillary alone........

:evil:
FargoBison
Level2
Level2

Post by FargoBison »

And it looks like Mitt won PR by a bigger margin than he won in Mass....with 69% of the vote in...

Romney 80,131 83%
Santorum 7,521 8%
Gingrich 1,899 2%
Paul 1,134 1%
Last edited by FargoBison on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Post by D1B »

Another dumb conk.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Given all the other things Santorum stands for and has said, I doubt he was pandering here.

However, Romney was 100% pandering when he said he would support PR statehood.

Santorum is a goof, but I agree that we do need to make English a requirement for some things, and immigration should be one. Statehood should be, too, but it hasn't been an issue up until now. Plenty of other western, developed countries require the home language for immigration. Australia is one.

Drives me crazy to see how wild people from Se Asia are about learning English because it is the way to get ahead in the world. There are so many English schools in Saigon they are like Starbucks. Language is culture, and there comes a point where you need to make a good faith effort to assimilate and get along.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

TwinTownBisonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Yet when we assail Obama's credentials we're immediately labeled racist.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Post by D1B »

AZGrizFan wrote:
TwinTownBisonFan wrote:

Are you really that stupid? Obama graduated from Harvard and is an extremely intelligent person. Palin is an Idaho grad moron, quitter, laughing stock of an asshole.

Yessss, most of you are racists, you just don't realize it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

D1B wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Are you really that stupid? Obama graduated from Harvard and is an extremely intelligent person. Palin is an Idaho grad moron, quitter, laughing stock of an asshole.

Sexual chocolate...he's both.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:Given all the other things Santorum stands for and has said, I doubt he was pandering here.

Santorum is a goof, but I agree that we do need to make English a requirement for some things, and immigration should be one. Statehood should be, too, but it hasn't been an issue up until now. Plenty of other western, developed countries require the home language for immigration. Australia is one.

Drives me crazy to see how wild people from Se Asia are about learning English because it is the way to get ahead in the world. There are so many English schools in Saigon they are like Starbucks. Language is culture, and there comes a point where you need to make a good faith effort to assimilate and get along.

Mostly agree with this - however, Puerto Rico is a special case - they are not immigrants - they are already US citizens. They have been speaking Spanish on the island for centuries - we conquered them.
:thumb:
youngterrier
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: the option
A.K.A.: Boss the Terrier

Post by youngterrier »

89Hen wrote:
English their primary language if they want to pursue U.S. statehood, a statement at odds with the U.S. Constitution
I'm a little confused here and by no means am I even close to an expert on the Constitution, but the fact that it doesn't say English has to be their primary language to become a state doesn't mean the US can't/shouldn't require it by simply not voting them a state until they do adopt English. I doubt the Constitution says anywhere that a state has to have elected leaders instead of a monarch, but I'm sure that Congress would make that a requirement before even having a vote on it.

States don't have states rights until they are a state, do they? We can debate whether a requirement for them to adopt English is right or wrong, but I don't see how it's at odds with the Constitution.
Article IV - The States
Section 3

Clause 1:

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Clause 2:

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.
If I am not mistaken, states must have an elected government to be admired as states. I'm pretty sure it is in there somewhere or it's concocted in a clause somewhere.
The Constitution is pretty open ended when it comes to making new states and Congress is the one who decides what requirements a territory needs
Last edited by youngterrier on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by GrizFanStuckInUtah »

D1B wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: to the first part.

The second one would be ignorant, not necessarily racist. :kisswink:
-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
-Thank you to all our Veterans. :bow:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Predictably, Romney won the PR primary. 8-)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I'm all for Puerto Rico getting statehood, if they want it. I'm also for the residents of DC having a voting member in the US Congress.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

D1B wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Being smart enough to graduate from Harvard and having the business sense to run the country are two ENTIRELY different things. But you knew that, right? :? :? :? :? :? :?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Given all the other things Santorum stands for and has said, I doubt he was pandering here.

Mostly agree with this - however, Puerto Rico is a special case - they are not immigrants - they are already US citizens. They have been speaking Spanish on the island for centuries - we conquered them.
I know, I was just using immigration as an example.

PR will become a state the day they vote for it, which won't happen, they have too many advantages by staying as they are.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris