Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

CNN Poll: 74% favor balanced budget amendment

Post by BDKJMU »

"25. Would you favor or oppose a constitutional amendment to require a balanced federal budget?
July 18-20 2011
Favor 74%
Oppose 24%
No opinion 1%"

And 66% favor Cut, Cap, and Balance:

"23. In another proposal, Congress would raise the debt ceiling only if a balanced budget amendment
were passed by both houses of Congress and substantial spending cuts and caps on future spending
were approved. Would you favor or oppose this proposal?
July 18-20 2011
Favor 66%
Oppose 33%
No opinion 1%"
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/image ... rel11b.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But CNN buried it:
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/07/21/o ... -cnn-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Congress better wake the f up and start listening to the overwhelming majority....
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: CNN Poll: 74% favor balanced budget amendment

Post by SDHornet »

As much as I agree with the concept of such an amendment, will a political campaign really hinge on this concept?
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SDHornet wrote:As much as I agree with the concept of such an amendment, will a political campaign really hinge on this concept?
I don't see it as the cornerstone of someone's platform, but I can see it being an issue.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:
Congress better wake the f up and start listening to the overwhelming majority....
What? You mean approximately the same majority that doesn't favor cuts to SS and Medicare? Or the majority that favors tax increases for the rich?
bulldog10jw
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Yale

Post by bulldog10jw »

kalm wrote:
What? You mean approximately the same majority that doesn't favor cuts to SS and Medicare? Or the majority that favors tax increases for the rich?
No the majority that was and still is against Obamacare. Wait, that didn't matter, did it?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote:As much as I agree with the concept of such an amendment, will a political campaign really hinge on this concept?
I believe most if not all tea partiers campaigned on it, and they're sticking to their guns. Kudos to them for sticking to their guns as opposed to politicians who campaign saying one thing, then when they get into office do another.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
What poll shows as high as 74% favor tax increases on the so called "rich". I'd go along with tax increases (a la Bush cuts expiring) for the so called rich AFTER a balanced budget amendment was ratified. That way you would ensure to have the massive spending cuts along with the tax increases for the so called rich, along with probably tax increases for everyone else, in order to be able to ensure a balanced budget.
Otherwise you would just have the tax increases and the promised spending cuts that never materialized and the debt would continue to explode.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

People are in favor of it, as long as the areas affecting them are NOT cut
:thumb:
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Saw Rand Paul on Hannity last night - guy was super impressive & educational - best ideas of heard since the debt crisis has come up.

He said all the hundreds of billions we hear in spending cuts actually means the federal government will spend MORE money next fiscal year than it did this fiscal year, because fed spending goes up 7-8% each year. First time I ever heard anybody clearly spell that out.

His idea was to eliminate the 7-8% increase & then spend 1% less than we did this past fiscal year & pledge to balance the budget.

I still think there are not enough revenues coming in & the tax code needs to be overhauled or taxes need to go up but no one has the balls to actualy say that in DC. You can't "spend less" your way to success.

If the option was, we're going to increase your taxes, but you'll get job stability & a solid return on your investments between now & the time you retire, who wouldn't go for that? People today are scared about:

1) losing their jobs
2) how they're going to pay for their kids to goto college
3) how they're going to be able to retire if they can't contribute enough to their 401k's & what kind of sustained return are they going to get on those investments?
Make Delaware Football Great Again
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ok, I've only taken a few intro economic classes, but my understanding is that a balanced budget isn't always a good idea. Don't governments, just like businesses, need to borrow money to invest into things that over time will bring in more revenue? Doesn't having a debt (at least not one that's as big as it is now) show that other countries have faith in us to return the money plus some, and that we're investing the money into something that will generate further growth for the United States?

Wouldn't having a Constitutional amendment to balance the budget mean that we'll solely have to rely on what we produce to keep growing? While it doesn't completely stop growth, it does slow it down quite a bit. Having some debt is good, having a lot isn't.

Also, on a side note, the majority opinion isn't always right. I can't keep stressing that enough.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Ok, I've only taken a few intro economic classes, but my understanding is that a balanced budget isn't always a good idea. Don't governments, just like businesses, need to borrow money to invest into things that over time will bring in more revenue? Doesn't having a debt (at least not one that's as big as it is now) show that other countries have faith in us to return the money plus some, and that we're investing the money into something that will generate further growth for the United States?

Wouldn't having a Constitutional amendment to balance the budget mean that we'll solely have to rely on what we produce to keep growing? While it doesn't completely stop growth, it does slow it down quite a bit. Having some debt is good, having a lot isn't.

Also, on a side note, the majority opinion isn't always right. I can't keep stressing that enough.
Agreed to an extent. The kicker for though is in a business setting you would never leverage up without a clearly defined end goal and a cash flow projection showing when you'd be able to pay down if you didn't want to roll it into something else. Our governments (state, local and fed) do not do anything close to that. We essentially take recurring bridge loans to bridge to nothing. Eventually the bridge collapses if you don't stop the growth of spending.

A balanced budget amendment isn't the way to correct this though, partly because no one will ever agree when it is balanced. The CBO estimates on cost and revenue are nothing more than projections. Either side can poke holes in them to suit their purposes.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

bluehenbillk wrote:Saw Rand Paul on Hannity last night - guy was super impressive & educational - best ideas of heard since the debt crisis has come up.

He said all the hundreds of billions we hear in spending cuts actually means the federal government will spend MORE money next fiscal year than it did this fiscal year, because fed spending goes up 7-8% each year. First time I ever heard anybody clearly spell that out.

His idea was to eliminate the 7-8% increase & then spend 1% less than we did this past fiscal year & pledge to balance the budget.

I still think there are not enough revenues coming in & the tax code needs to be overhauled or taxes need to go up but no one has the balls to actualy say that in DC. You can't "spend less" your way to success.

If the option was, we're going to increase your taxes, but you'll get job stability & a solid return on your investments between now & the time you retire, who wouldn't go for that? People today are scared about:

1) losing their jobs
3) how they're going to be able to retire if they can't contribute enough to their 401k's & what kind of sustained return are they going to get on those investments?
Heard some similar stuff on the radio yesterday. Said that if spending was frozen at 2008 levels the CBO would score it as a $9+ trillion cut.

Boehner's deal back in April to "cut" the budget $900 billion or whatever it was that turned out to be a $6 billion cut or something, I don't remember the exact numbers, is all the proof I need that the guy is a fucking joke. Time to clean house. Anybody that has been in there for more than 4 years needs to go!
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

bluehenbillk wrote:Saw Rand Paul on Hannity last night - guy was super impressive & educational - best ideas of heard since the debt crisis has come up.

If the option was, we're going to increase your taxes, but you'll get job stability & a solid return on your investments between now & the time you retire, who wouldn't go for that? People today are scared about

1) losing their jobs
Great post. :nod:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Boehner has completely lost the house.

And 74% favor a balanced budget amendement, so clearly the democrats won't vote for one. They have a nasty habit under Pelosi/Reid of believing THEY know what's good for America, even when the vast majority of Americans disagree with them (see healthcare, stimulus packages, etc., etc., etc.).
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:Boehner has completely lost the house.

And 74% favor a balanced budget amendement, so clearly the democrats won't vote for one. They have a nasty habit under Pelosi/Reid of believing THEY know what's good for America, even when the vast majority of Americans disagree with them (see healthcare, stimulus packages, etc., etc., etc.).
Do 74% understand what a Balance Budget Amendment would entail? Are they willing to cut Medicare/Defense/Home Mortgage Deductions?

It is great in theory, but no one wants to make the sacrifices needed.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:

Do 74% understand what a Balance Budget Amendment would entail? Are they willing to cut Medicare/Defense/Home Mortgage Deductions?

Jon, I'm convinced CONGRESS doesn't understand it. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Jon, I'm convinced CONGRESS doesn't understand it. :coffee:
No argument there
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Agreed on Boehner. Basically both houses of Congress are lacking leadership on both sides of the aisle. Good for nobody.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

danefan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Ok, I've only taken a few intro economic classes, but my understanding is that a balanced budget isn't always a good idea. Don't governments, just like businesses, need to borrow money to invest into things that over time will bring in more revenue? Doesn't having a debt (at least not one that's as big as it is now) show that other countries have faith in us to return the money plus some, and that we're investing the money into something that will generate further growth for the United States?

A balanced budget amendment would spawn all sorts of chicanery. What is a budget? What happens if some expenditures are "off-budget"? It's a lot harder to craft something for the Constitution that is truly airtight, let alone something that provides for the occasional national emergency. That 14th Amendment provision on the sanctity of the federal debt is already causing enough anxiety. I say leave our fundamental document alone, and fire the 535 azzholes who are screwing things up to a fare-thee-well. Make that 537 azzholes, counting Barry and Joe.

Damn iPad. Ivy talk's post is above.

Agreed to an extent. The kicker for though is in a business setting you would never leverage up without a clearly defined end goal and a cash flow projection showing when you'd be able to pay down if you didn't want to roll it into something else. Our governments (state, local and fed) do not do anything close to that. We essentially take recurring bridge loans to bridge to nothing. Eventually the bridge collapses if you don't stop the growth of spending.

A balanced budget amendment isn't the way to correct this though, partly because no one will ever agree when it is balanced. The CBO estimates on cost and revenue are nothing more than projections. Either side can poke holes in them to suit their purposes.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.