What happened to the personal flying platform?

Political discussions
expandspanos
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: School of Hard Knocks

What happened to the personal flying platform?

Post by expandspanos »

[youtube][/youtube]

Makes you wonder what ever happened to this idea.

The Williams X-Jet, created by Williams International, was a small, light-weight Vertical Take Off and Landing (VTOL) system powered by a modified Williams F107 turbofan aircraft engine. It was designed to be operated by and carry one person and controlled by leaning in the direction of desired travel and adjusting the power. It could move in any direction, accelerate rapidly, hover, and rotate on its axis, staying aloft for up to 45 minutes and traveling at speeds up to 60 miles per hour (100 km/h). It was evaluated by the U.S. Army in the 1980s, and was deemed inferior to the capabilities of helicopters and small unmanned aircraft.

Other VTOL systems developed by Williams International included a jet-powered flying belt developed in 1969, which was powered by a Williams WR19 fanjet, and the WASP (Williams Aerial Systems Platform) developed in the 1970s, which was powered by the more powerful WR19-9. This vehicle was nicknamed "The Flying Pulpit".
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by expandspanos on Fri May 20, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: What happened to the personal flying platform?

Post by clenz »

Mythbusters tried this in Episode 32

A Jet pack can be built from plans purchased off the internet and limited funds.
BUSTED
The jetpack produced by the Mythbusters was not powerful enough to even lift itself off the ground, and they had to cheat by going beyond their assigned budget, in order to create it. The sum of its parts cost too much to allow the average person to build it on a budget and the plans did not have enough details to give builders a clear example of what to build.

They found they could get it to fly by putting a jet engine on it....in other words you'd need to be Donald Trump with Evil Kenevils sense of danger to do that kind of shit.
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

You do realize the second video is directly from the U.S. Air Force Museum, in Dayton Ohio, right?

and I'm the conspiracy theorist.. woah.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I'm not covering up shit.

Yeah...it could be done if you had a couple million dollars to drop on the type of shit you would need....and then be willing to have it be extremely unstable and unsafe.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

And before your dumb fucking ass brings it up...

WHAT DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR BUTT FUCKERS OF GEORGIA....or whatever that fucking thing this douchefuck brings up in every thread that he gets pwned in?
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

burned.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Whatever happened to the flying car that folds up into a briefcase?

:rofl:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

expandspanos wrote:Makes you wonder what ever happened to this idea.

The Williams X-Jet, created by Williams International, was a small, light-weight Vertical Take Off and Landing (VTOL) system powered by a modified Williams F107 turbofan aircraft engine. It was designed to be operated by and carry one person and controlled by leaning in the direction of desired travel and adjusting the power. It could move in any direction, accelerate rapidly, hover, and rotate on its axis, staying aloft for up to 45 minutes and traveling at speeds up to 60 miles per hour (100 km/h). It was evaluated by the U.S. Army in the 1980s, and was deemed inferior to the capabilities of helicopters and small unmanned aircraft.
Other VTOL systems developed by Williams International included a jet-powered flying belt developed in 1969, which was powered by a Williams WR19 fanjet, and the WASP (Williams Aerial Systems Platform) developed in the 1970s, which was powered by the more powerful WR19-9. This vehicle was nicknamed "The Flying Pulpit".
[youtube][/youtube]

Re: Flying Platform - Personal UFO:
[youtube][/youtube]
Although I am sure the subject line is actually a loaded question and there is some over the top sinister reason this aircraft never got legs, the narrative you posted answers its own question.

It was a pure thrust-lift craft. That means it is fuel intensive. It had an effective range of about 45 miles at full speed. It had a payload of one passenger. That's it. An expensive toy, with little practical use. (If you get one, do me a favor and come blow the leaves off my lawn.)

I hope the Army did not spend too much time or money coming up with the determination that this little craft was inferior in capability to the helicopter, because the simple factors of endurance and payload should make this obvious to even the biggest George Jetson fan.

Now, since you were obviously waiting for this, here's your opening. What is the expando version of what happened to it? Let me guess: the Bell Helicopter corporation had its Army lobby poo pooh the craft when it saw the imminent threat that a whole brigade of soldiers flying into battle riging these things like a swarm of angry bees would create. (Nevermind that those soldiers would not be able to carry any equipment, or even shoot while flying).
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Close, Cid, but it was actually the Sikorsky lobby.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Grizalltheway wrote:Close, Cid, but it was actually the Sikorsky lobby.
I wondered if it might have been Sikorsky, but then it was probably both. It would take the clout of more than just one military-industrial conglomerate to counter the temptation to sink money into this new, exciting technology. The mental vision of hordes of US soldiers charging across the German frontier into Soviet territory like clouds of flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz would be enough to give even the stingiest skeptic a raging woody.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

expandspanos wrote:You do realize the second video is directly from the U.S. Air Force Museum, in Dayton Ohio, right?

and I'm the conspiracy theorist.. woah.
I don't get what the supposed cover up is in this. Look how many prototypes of any USAF vehicle are produced before the final Pentagon approved version is developed. Boeing, Lockheed, Martin Marietta, et al all had "skunkworks" programs to develop things somewhat outside the normal scope of operations - some become viable as defense projects, others civilian applications, others get kicked to the curb. Think of the billions of dollars pharmaceutical companies spend on R&D with the hope that they come up with one magic bullet like Lipitor or some Alzheimer's drug.

I certainly don't like the thought of a bunch of these personal aircraft flying over my house and running out of fuel all over the neighborhood. :?
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

I'll bet it was these guys who did it in.

[youtube][/youtube]
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Not sure what you guys are smoking, but these have been available in Arizona for years. It is how I get to work and back.
:thumb:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
expandspanos wrote:Makes you wonder what ever happened to this idea.

[youtube][/youtube]

Re: Flying Platform - Personal UFO:
[youtube][/youtube]
Although I am sure the subject line is actually a loaded question and there is some over the top sinister reason this aircraft never got legs, the narrative you posted answers its own question.

It was a pure thrust-lift craft. That means it is fuel intensive. It had an effective range of about 45 miles at full speed. It had a payload of one passenger. That's it. An expensive toy, with little practical use. (If you get one, do me a favor and come blow the leaves off my lawn.)

I hope the Army did not spend too much time or money coming up with the determination that this little craft was inferior in capability to the helicopter, because the simple factors of endurance and payload should make this obvious to even the biggest George Jetson fan.

Now, since you were obviously waiting for this, here's your opening. What is the expando version of what happened to it? Let me guess: the Bell Helicopter corporation had its Army lobby poo pooh the craft when it saw the imminent threat that a whole brigade of soldiers flying into battle riging these things like a swarm of angry bees would create. (Nevermind that those soldiers would not be able to carry any equipment, or even shoot while flying).
That's why the one that crossed at Roswell was flown by little pilots.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

The Williams X-Jet people, it was pattented- do a quick google search

I know it's hard to believe you've been lied to about having a large amount of freedom/mobility, but how are people going to keep buying junk at convenience stores and gas stations if they're flying directly to where they want, when they want as a crow flies?

The Williams X-Jet, created by Williams International, was a small, light-weight Vertical Take Off and Landing (VTOL) system powered by a modified Williams F107 turbofan aircraft engine. This vehicle was nicknamed "The Flying Pulpit". It was designed to be operated by and carry one person and controlled by leaning in the direction of desired travel and adjusting the power. It could move in any direction, accelerate rapidly, hover, and rotate on its axis, staying aloft for up to 45 minutes and traveling at speeds up to 60 miles per hour (100 km/h). It was evaluated by the U.S. Army in the 1980s, and was deemed inferior to the capabilities of helicopters and small unmanned aircraft.

Other VTOL systems developed by Williams International included a jet-powered flying belt developed in 1969, which was powered by a Williams WR19 turbofan, and the WASP (Williams Aerial Systems Platform) developed in the 1970s, which was powered by the more powerful WR19-9.

Do you think the patent office is faking stuff just for fun?
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

There are literally millions of patented huge hunks of worthless shit.

Not sure what a patent has to do with anything.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

expandspanos wrote:The Williams X-Jet people, it was pattented- do a quick google search

I know it's hard to believe you've been lied to about having a large amount of freedom/mobility, but how are people going to keep buying junk at convenience stores and gas stations if they're flying directly to where they want, when they want as a crow flies?

The Williams X-Jet, created by Williams International, was a small, light-weight Vertical Take Off and Landing (VTOL) system powered by a modified Williams F107 turbofan aircraft engine. This vehicle was nicknamed "The Flying Pulpit". It was designed to be operated by and carry one person and controlled by leaning in the direction of desired travel and adjusting the power. It could move in any direction, accelerate rapidly, hover, and rotate on its axis, staying aloft for up to 45 minutes and traveling at speeds up to 60 miles per hour (100 km/h). It was evaluated by the U.S. Army in the 1980s, and was deemed inferior to the capabilities of helicopters and small unmanned aircraft.

Other VTOL systems developed by Williams International included a jet-powered flying belt developed in 1969, which was powered by a Williams WR19 turbofan, and the WASP (Williams Aerial Systems Platform) developed in the 1970s, which was powered by the more powerful WR19-9.

Guess what, Perfessor?

You're right. It IS a conspiracy. Nobody wants you flying around in one of these. I am one of those people who have kept you down by stifling projects like this.

Want to know why?

Because I do not want YOU, or your soccer mom wife or your bratty entitled children flying around over my head in some coffee can with a jet engine blowing dirt and leaves in my face all the time. People like you mange to kill and maim others JUST FINE as it is driving around in those four-wheeled contraptions you use to inconveniently go to the Wal Mart and buy your consumer goods.

Nobody has been lied to about these things, ES. NOBODY HAS BEEN LIED TO. The technology works. It is just not practical, and not safe to have hundreds of them flying all over the place. If it WAS practical, AND IF the FAA would license them for public use, then you would see them. However, there is no real way to create a safety infrastructure that will support them. I don't want to build a steel net over my house so when your girlfriend runs out of gas she doesn't fall on my house and create a fireball in my living room, while shooting 5000 moving parts of that jet engine all through my walls.

Another consideration is the insurance and development costs of certification. If the fixed costs of developing an building one Cessna 182 runs at about 50% of the sale price of the airplane, and a Cessna 182 with all the bells and whistles will run you around 220K, (and general fixed wing aviation already has a worldwide, intricate and highly developed safety and control infrastructure), then how exactly do you think this thing would be affordable to anyone other than the very wealthy? Here's a clue: it wouldn't. At the end of the day it is neither practical nor cost efficient in either military or civilian applications.

The bottom line here is that conspiracy theorists like you conveniently leave out those facts that would lead logical people (which you are not) to conclude that you are either being held back, denied your freedom, lied to, discriminated against, or otherwise cheated out of the George Jetson world you think you would have IF ONLY the government would stop holding you back or concelaing the real possibilities of life from you.

In your specific case, you believe that large corporate interests hold things like this back in the interest of making money (or not allowing other money making ventures to infringe on that ability). In arriving at this conclusion, you leave off one half of the equation- if there was a buck to be made on this contraption, it would be made, because those corporate interests work in both directions.

Seriously, you should go talk to a specialist. If going through life thinking you are just a battery for the machines is your idea of happiness, then by all means continue with your fantasies. Let me tell you that most normal people, when they pause to consider what their lives would be like if only the government would allow them to have flying pods, cars that run on mule farts, teleporters, and that same government would just stop staging major terrorist attacks in order to cover up all of their covering up..... most normal people generally stop for a moment, wonder what the hell they were thinking about, and then go about finding the best happiness they can in the absence of all of these trinkets they would have if only the government would just let them bloom. If they think about it at all.

I am serious- you really should see someone. I spent 17 years in a career where I had the privilege of seeing how guys like you end up, and it is no way to live. At best, there is feces-smearing-on-bedroom-walls and cash hoarding in trash cans and behind bookshelves in your future. Now, that's the first and last I will say about it, because that is as charitable as I can be to someone who is ultimately a truther douchenozzle.
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

:thumbdown:

At one point in time, everybody was certain earth was the center of the universe... and anyone who said otherwise was off his/ her rocker.

At one point in time, eveybody was sure the earth was flat...

At one point in time, people were sure that witches existed, and we burned people alive.

People don't know the truth the majority of the time

Image :notworthy:

[youtube][/youtube]
A friend of mine in the military always says we're mushrooms-

We're kept in the dark and fed bulllshit.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

expandspanos wrote:The Williams X-Jet people, it was pattented- do a quick google search

They must be doing it for fun since it doesn't have an engine. :lol:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

houndawg wrote:They must be doing it for fun since it doesn't have an engine. :lol:
I guess you'll have to take that up with the U.S. Air Force Museum, in Dayton Ohio- ask them if they were releasing faked footage.

Quite a bit of faked footage you're alleging- here- why fake it- the faking of the this William X-Jet (do a google search) would have been more elaborate than the faking of the moon landings.. again.. who is the conspiracy theorist around here? :notworthy: :D
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

expandspanos wrote:
houndawg wrote:They must be doing it for fun since it doesn't have an engine. :lol:
I guess you'll have to take that up with the U.S. Air Force Museum, in Dayton Ohio- ask them if they were releasing faked footage.

Quite a bit of faked footage you're alleging- here- why fake it- the faking of the this William X-Jet (do a google search) would have been more elaborate than the faking of the moon landings.. again.. who is the conspiracy theorist around here? :notworthy: :D

You trying to tell me you believe the Air Force? :lol:

Dude, if they can fake the moon landings, this is a piece of cake. You know that you can't believe anything you see anymore, right? :coffee:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:
expandspanos wrote:

Dude, if they can fake the moon landings, this is a piece of cake. You know that you can't believe anything you see anymore, right? :coffee:
HD I think you have hit on something here.

How is it that the conspiracy whackos can believe that we hid aliens in Area 51 (or 54 or whatever it is) and that we have the ability to fly around in George Jetson-mobiles, yet they cannot believe that 9-11 wasn't an inside job, or that we never landed on the moon.

All the sh!t we say we cannot or didn't do, they think we did, and all those things we say we DID do, they don't buy it.

They simultaneously suspend disbelief and then believe nothing. It must be a frustrating world for these characters. Nothing is real, except for those things that really aren't.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:

HD I think you have hit on something here.

How is it that the conspiracy whackos can believe that we hid aliens in Area 51 (or 54 or whatever it is) and that we have the ability to fly around in George Jetson-mobiles, yet they cannot believe that 9-11 wasn't an inside job, or that we never landed on the moon.

All the sh!t we say we cannot or didn't do, they think we did, and all those things we say we DID do, they don't buy it.

They simultaneously suspend disbelief and then believe nothing. It must be a frustrating world for these characters. Nothing is real, except for those things that really aren't.
Mostly because this is the kind of shit they talk about when trying to pick up chicks (assuming they try at all).