Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 10-31

Post by JALMOND »

On the eve of November, the month when the conference race will be decided and the Big Sky still has four teams setting a strong pace, with two others just waiting for someone to fall off. Four teams took last week off, but only one was among the leaders. Some great matchups coming down the stretch that will decide who gets the automatic bid into the playoffs. This week is no exception. That said, here are the power rankings for the conference this week (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Here we go.

1. Montana State (1)---Last week bye, this week at Northern Arizona---With the stretch run looming, the Bobcats took last week off in order to prepare. They have what looks like on paper a couple easy games to play before their big Brawl with their huge rivals. Still, they cannot look past any of the games and with this game on the road, it may be troublesome.

2. Sacramento State (2)---Last week beat Idaho at home 31-28, this week at Weber State---Playing the conference upstart, the Hornets knew it was going to be a tough game, even at home, and they did get the win. They go on the road the next two games before meeting their rival in the big Classic. They do need to get this road win this week, however.

3. Idaho (3)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 31-28, this week Eastern Washington at home---No harm for the Vandals in getting a tough loss on the road to a strong team last week. They have two winnable home games before meeting up with their in-state brethren. Getting all three should propel them into the playoffs, but they can't overlook anyone.

4. Weber State (4)---Last week beat Montana at home 24-21, this week Sacramento State at home---The Wildcats got a good home win last week and stay at home with another conference heavy hitter coming to town. After that, the schedule is relatively easy at the end, but they cannot overlook this game this weekend, nor the others left to play.

5. UC Davis (6)---Last week beat Cal Poly at home 59-17, this week Idaho State at home---The Aggies are making a late charge towards respectability and a possible playoff berth if things break right for them. They win out and they may have a shot but with two tough road games still left, it may be tough, but they should get this game.

6. Montana (5)---Last week lost at Weber State 24-21, this week Cal Poly at home---The Grizzlies seem to have taken a stumble. Close losses may look good but they need some wins. They get some gimme games in these next two weeks and then the big Brawl on the road. Wins may be enough to get them in the playoffs, but they have to be wins.

7. Portland State (8)---Last week won at Eastern Washington 38-35, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Vikings headed on the Barney bus and stole the Dam Cup away from their rivals last week in a feel good day. Playing out the string, they still have one game that they can play spoiler, but first it would be nice to get this win.

8. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week lost to Portland State at home 38-35, this week at Idaho---Falling behind big early on is not a recipe for success in the conference, but the Eagles put a gallant effort to steal a win, only to come up short. They get a couple opportunities to play spoiler in the next two weeks, but they were hoping for bigger things.

9. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week bye, this week Montana State at home---The Lumberjacks were also hoping for better things this year but just could not put it all together. After taking last week off, they have two chances to ruin a couple of the heavy hitter's seasons. It starts this week and continues through next week.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week bye, this week at Portland State---The Bears also took last week off to get ready for a big push to end the season. Looking at the schedule, with their tough games already played, they have the opportunity to end the season on a good note. All three games are winnable. They just need to play like they are.

11. Idaho State (11)---Last week bye, this week at UC Davis---The Bengals also took last week off, but their remaining schedule is daunting. They end the year with three games against three different heavyweights in the conference. Well, they can only play what is on the schedule. The first heavyweight is this weekend. The rest come later.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week lost at UC Davis 59-17, this week at Montana---Are the Mustangs up for the challenge of the ultimate spoiler? By the indication of their recent games, the answer is probably no. Although, after the game this week, they stay home for the last two games so they may be able to surprise some. Or maybe not.

RECAP: 1-5 contenders, 6 desperately trying to hold on, 7-12 pretenders.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 10-31

Post by SuperHornet »

1. Sac State
2. MT State
3. Weber State
4. Idaho
5. UC Davis (yuck!)
6. Portland State
7. Montana
8. NAU
9. EWU
10. UNC
11. ID State
12. Cow Poly (Is it time to push Cow Poly into the Pioneer yet?)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:55 pm 1. Sac State
2. MT State
3. Weber State
4. Idaho
5. UC Davis (yuck!)
6. Portland State
7. Montana

8. NAU
9. EWU
10. UNC
11. ID State
I've been as bearish on Montana as anyone this season, but come on… the Griz beat beat PSU by 37 points. :suspicious:
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:14 am
2. MT State
3. Weber State
4. Idaho
5. UC Davis (yuck!)
6. Portland State
7. Montana

8. NAU
9. EWU
10. UNC
11. ID State
I've been as bearish on Montana as anyone this season, but come on… the Griz beat beat PSU by 37 points. :suspicious:
He doesn’t know what he’s doing, he’s high as a kite on this new drug called Skattebo.
:coffee:
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:14 am
2. MT State
3. Weber State
4. Idaho
5. UC Davis (yuck!)
6. Portland State
7. Montana

8. NAU
9. EWU
10. UNC
11. ID State
That was then, this is now.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Well done J, no arguments here.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:31 pm Well done J, no arguments here.

Only change Id really make is putting Weber above Idaho. Other than that it's solid.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Wildcat Ryan wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:20 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:31 pm Well done J, no arguments here.

Only change Id really make is putting Weber above Idaho. Other than that it's solid.
Fair, but wins over Montucky don't carry the weight they once did...I mean they literally have zero quality wins.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:22 pm
Wildcat Ryan wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:20 pm

Fair, but wins over Montucky don't carry the weight they once did...I mean they literally have zero quality wins.

True. I just dont believe a 3 loss team deserves to be higher than a 1 loss team who won thier FBS game. Regardless of how poor that FBS team was at the time.

It's a minor detail of course and means little in the end.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Wildcat Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:59 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:22 pm

True. I just dont believe a 3 loss team deserves to be higher than a 1 loss team who won thier FBS game. Regardless of how poor that FBS team was at the time.

No argument here.

Soooo...how about the loser of this Saturday's game has to sign Jody Sears to a 10 year contract? Deal?
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:50 pm
Wildcat Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:59 am

No argument here.

Soooo...how about the loser of this Saturday's game has to sign Jody Sears to a 10 year contract? Deal?

Hell to the absolute NO!!! I like Sac being competitive :D ;) :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Wildcat Ryan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:34 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:50 pm

No argument here.

I remember the old days when it was Sac and Weebs battling it out for the cellar spot, boy have times changed for the better.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:38 pm
Wildcat Ryan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:34 pm

I remember the old days when it was Sac and Weebs battling it out for the cellar spot, boy have times changed for the better.

So much better now. :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Wildcat Ryan wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:37 am
SDHornet wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:38 pm

Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

kalm wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:26 am
Wildcat Ryan wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:37 am

Well for some of us... :lol:
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Post by BlackFalkin »

I think the conference is just getting stronger as a whole. The top FIVE Big Sky teams deserve spots in this season's playoffs.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
VandalBasher

Post by VandalBasher »

I concur having Weber St. over Idaho. The four or five spot is just fine for now. If the Vandals can get past these next three games, we’ll talk. Having a 7-1 record in the BSC is nothing to scoff at.

The Vandals just need to get past EWU first. Last year’s game tells me to be quiet until the end of the game.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

VandalBasher wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:57 pm I concur having Weber St. over Idaho. The four or five spot is just fine for now. If the Vandals can get past these next three games, we’ll talk. Having a 7-1 record in the BSC is nothing to scoff at.

The Vandals just need to get past EWU first. Last year’s game tells me to be quiet until the end of the game.

Now I'd put Idaho ahead of us