Political discussions
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:See https://www.science.org/content/article ... ice-sicker.

The incident does not at all show that the NIH funded "gain of function" research. Paul is very intellectually dishonest.
Your transformation to the pig Squealer is complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by andy7171 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:59 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:11 pm

Fauxi is damaged goods. Giving him a role as spokesperson hurts the government's cause. They need to cut him loose.
Do you seriously think Paul won that exchange? There is no "preponderance of evidence" suggesting that SARS-CoV-2 came from a lab. It was not gain of function research. The guy is a demagogue. He is arguing with someone who knows a whole hell of a lot more about the subject matter involved than he does.

To me this is disturbing because I've seen it many times before. You have someone who really doesn't know what he is talking about (Paul) speaking very aggressively and assertively as though he does. So people think he's on to something when he is not.
In the battle between was The Rona created in a lab vs completely natural, the score is now, the entire earth population vs Fauci, JOS and the Chinese Communist Party
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

andy7171 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:36 am

Do you seriously think Paul won that exchange? There is no "preponderance of evidence" suggesting that SARS-CoV-2 came from a lab. It was not gain of function research. The guy is a demagogue. He is arguing with someone who knows a whole hell of a lot more about the subject matter involved than he does.

To me this is disturbing because I've seen it many times before. You have someone who really doesn't know what he is talking about (Paul) speaking very aggressively and assertively as though he does. So people think he's on to something when he is not.
In the battle between was The Rona created in a lab vs completely natural, the score is now, the entire earth population vs Fauci, JOS and the Chinese Communist Party
JSO is revealing his inner ChiComm. Introducing JohnStXi.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:08 pm Paul made a total buffoon of himself.
You'd know
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pfizer has a pill that reduces hospitalization and deaths by 89%

Possible game changer…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... 0N5qir0fKI
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

:ohno: JSO purposely lying in this case is just so sad :ohno:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:26 am Pfizer has a pill that reduces hospitalization and deaths by 89%

Possible game changer…

Interesting, does that put a hold on vaccine mandates? If you can just take a pill once you get COVID and it gives you the same benefits that the vaccine does (less hospitalization and less death), what's the public imperative to make someone get a vaccine? (btw, I'm not anti-vax, have my appointment today for my booster).
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:49 am

Brace yourselves, this is coming!!!!!
Spoiler: show
STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM MY FAMILY!!!!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

andy7171 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:56 am
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:49 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:00 am
andy7171 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:56 am

Sad that there are people here who have no idea what that is in reference to. :ohno: :ohno: :cry: :cry:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:32 am

Sad that there are people here who have no idea what that is in reference to. :ohno: :ohno: :cry: :cry:
They might be better for it. I'm still scarred.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:32 am

It was a great time to be alive! :D
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
andy7171 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:36 am In the battle between was The Rona created in a lab vs completely natural, the score is now, the entire earth population vs Fauci, JOS and the Chinese Communist Party
He also purposely tried to misrepresent what was in the article I posted as if the rest of us cannot effing read or something

Like I said - he’s become Squealer from Animal Farm and he ain’t the only one

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:29 am
kalm wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:26 am Pfizer has a pill that reduces hospitalization and deaths by 89%

Possible game changer…

Interesting, does that put a hold on vaccine mandates? If you can just take a pill once you get COVID and it gives you the same benefits that the vaccine does (less hospitalization and less death), what's the public imperative to make someone get a vaccine? (btw, I'm not anti-vax, have my appointment today for my booster).
I don't think yet, as it was only England so far that has approved it's EUA. Don't believe it is an option here in the US yet.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

No it's not. You know better than that. The Republicans on that committee have made a lot of noise and making claims about things like "preponderance of the evidence" when that's not really there. I think this article pretty well sums up the situation: https://www.newscientist.com/definition ... -come-lab/.
The World Health Organization and US intelligence are both taking the lab-leak hypothesis seriously. However, some scientists are concerned that this is a distraction from the most likely origin of the virus – wild animals – and that we are running out of time to determine the true origin of the pandemic.

Was the virus bioengineered?
The current scientific consensus is that the virus occurred naturally, not through bioengineering.

Researchers led by Shan-Lu Liu at the Ohio State University say there is “no credible evidence” of genetic engineering (Emerging Microbes & Infections, doi.org/dpvw). The virus’s genome has been sequenced, and if it had been altered, we would expect to see signs of inserted gene sequences. But we now know the points that differ from bat viruses are scattered in a fairly random way, just as they would be if the new virus had evolved naturally.
The ideas that it looks like a lab leak and/or that there was bioengineering iis another is another one of those things bouncing around in the conservative false reality echo chamber.

As I've said many times: I am a conservative philosophically. But I am really disappointed by what has happened to the "conservative" movement. It's turned into a nut job movement. Tin foil hat land. And this is another example of it.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:58 am
GannonFan wrote:
He also purposely tried to misrepresent what was in the article I posted as if the rest of us cannot effing read or something

I did not misrepresent what was in the article you posted at all. I just looked at the letter and saw that the article you posted created a false impression. But I didn't even say that. I just said look at the letter. The letter just flat does not lend credence to the lab leak theory.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:58 am
GannonFan wrote:

BTW, I can never know. But based on reaction I suspect you had not read the letter.
Could I ever be a star?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JSO declaring he was correct after disagreeing with CID ...

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Hope I'm wrong, but it looks as if the 4th wave may be starting in Israel. Some believe it may be the worst wave yet.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:58 am He also purposely tried to misrepresent what was in the article I posted as if the rest of us cannot effing read or something

BTW, I can never know. But based on reaction I suspect you had not read the letter.
It is LITERALLY IN THE VERY FIRST PARAGRAPH right there in black and white

Somebody do a house check on JSO maybe Jelly has tied him up and is now posting as JSO

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:44 pm
JohnStOnge wrote:
It is LITERALLY IN THE VERY FIRST PARAGRAPH right there in black and white

Somebody do a house check on JSO maybe Jelly has tied him up and is now posting as JSO

And you thought I was bad. :lol:

I do appreciate StOnge though. Diversity of thought.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:33 pm Hope I'm wrong, but it looks as if the 4th wave may be starting in Israel. Some believe it may be the worst wave yet.
It’s already in the US. They’re not too worried about as of yet…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... -2-states/
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:33 pm Hope I'm wrong, but it looks as if the 4th wave may be starting in Israel. Some believe it may be the worst wave yet.
Guess it’s gaining its OWN function as it spreads….
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ok. I have spent a few days trying to see what went on with the US Government saying it wouldn't fund certain research, etc. And I ended up thinking what I thought when our discussion of that issue started: Rand Paul and the Republicans are being intellectually dishonest.

As far as I can tell, this quote from the discussion at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK285586/ describes the funding restriction:
New USG funding will not be released for gain-of-function research projects that may be reasonably anticipated to confer attributes to influenza, MERS, or SARS viruses such that the virus would have enhanced pathogenicity and/or transmissibility in mammals via the respiratory route. The research funding pause would not apply to characterization or testing of naturally occurring influenza, MERS, and SARS viruses, unless the tests are reasonably anticipated to increase transmissibility and/or pathogenicity.
The letter from the NIH to Congressman James Comer clearly indicates that the research it discusses was for the purpose of determining "...if spike proteins from naturally occurring coronaviruses circulating in China were capable of binding to the human ACE2 receptor in a mouse model." It goes on to say that the instance of having mice infected with one bat coronavirus becoming sicker than those infected with another bat coronavirus was "...an unexpected result as opposed to something the researchers set out to do."

There is no "there" there with this crap. Sadly, it is yet another example of Republican demagoguery. Nobody in the NIH lied. Nobody in the NIH did anything corrupt. The test isn't whether or not increased pathogenicity and/or transmissibility in mammals via the respiratory route occurred. It's whether or not it would have reasonably been anticipated. The Republicans demagoguing this matter are completely ignoring that.

And I honestly don't know why. I don't know why it's so important to them to try to cast the NIH as corrupt when it is not.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:08 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:39 pm

Here is the latest report in the UK series you've been referencing: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... eek-43.pdf .

The authors say you should not be using Table 2 to try to assess vaccine effectiveness and the fact that people are tested through self selection is one reason the authors provide for saying that. Go to the "Interpretation of Data" discussion on page 13. In that discussion, you will find this:

At the end of the "Interpretation of Data" discussion, the authors wrote this:

The authors discuss vaccine effectiveness with respect to infection on page 6. And their conclusion is this:

Comirnaty is the Pfizer vaccine. Vaxzevria is not approved for use in the United States.

The main take away here is that you keep referring to the numbers in Table 2 of these reports while assessing vaccine effectiveness. And the authors of the reports say you should not be doing that. The people who actually write the reports said the Pfizer vaccine is highly effective. The other one is fairly effective as well. And you are using data in their report in a way they say those data should not be used in order to make your own argument that there are questions about vaccine effectiveness.
As I'm in my phone, I can only address one of your points. Let's talk vaccine effectiveness. Why do you keep reciting numbers that were generated months ago and much of it hasn't even been peer reviewed. Tsk. Tsk.

Even though you don't like comparing vaxxed vs unvaxxed because the authors tell you so, you don't find it odd that you are saying the vaccine is 80% effective, when you can clearly see it's negative in the 30+ groups. Even with hidden bias, it can't be THAT far off.

You sure they really want to be arguing differences in "more health conscious". Wouldn't that suggest prior differences in health of the vaxxed and unvaxxed populations, which would in turn suggest worse outcomes in the unvaxxed are to some unknown degree the result of statistical confounding?
I'd been meaning to get back to you on this but we swerved off into different topics. Whatever is going on with the UK data, there is nothing like it in the US data as far as I can tell. Go to https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... ine-status then click on the "Age Group" button.
Could I ever be a star?