Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: EPIC MILESTONE

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:22 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:02 am I can't really think of anyone who's looked good so far through this, it's been an epic failure and has really shone a light on how poor some facets of our government and society are at this point - Trump has been a train wreck through this, Congress has at the best looked inept and out of touch, at worst they've looked just downright incompetent, governors have been a mixed bag, and the media has been so lost down the rabbit hole of gotcha journalism that it's hard to find any US news source that's consistently reliable from day to day. Since we're looking at Trump or Biden for the next 4 years or their VP if they can't make it through the 4 years, I'm not really optimistic that much will change.
I think Dr Fauci and Dr Birx, have done a great job keeping the country from Panicking after listening to the media and Trump. The mitigation has worked and states are opening up for business. Stock market is strong. It's a matter of time before the unemployment numbers start going down.
The unemployment numbers aren't going to start going down unless we're opening things back up. If we don't they're going to keep going up and it could spiral out of control and it will take years to get them back down. I'm not advocating for throwing caution to the wind, but we need to use common sense and carefully open things back up. Nursing homes and similar will need to stay locked down and those most at risk will need to voluntarily continue to shelter-in-place.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:25 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:22 am

I think Dr Fauci and Dr Birx, have done a great job keeping the country from Panicking after listening to the media and Trump. The mitigation has worked and states are opening up for business. Stock market is strong. It's a matter of time before the unemployment numbers start going down.
The unemployment numbers aren't going to start going down unless we're opening things back up. If we don't they're going to keep going up and it could spiral out of control and it will take years to get them back down. I'm not advocating for throwing caution to the wind, but we need to use common sense and carefully open things back up. Nursing homes and similar will need to stay locked down and those most at risk will need to voluntarily continue to shelter-in-place.
I see we pretty much agree. Time and numbers are relative to each person. Remdesivir is looking very promising for a treatment.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:40 am
Chizzang wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:29 am This is one of those problems where each side has a few valid points
I really don't feel like I have a grasp on what the right answer is - because I kinda agree with both sides

:nod:
Nobody knows that the right answer is yet but it's probably not being too cautious or throwing caution to the wind. We need to find the right balance.
I know, but you won't listen to me.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:14 am
89Hen wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:24 am

Obviously they will go down, but I don't think they will come close to pre-panic, sorry pandemic, numbers. I think a lot of companies are finding out how unessential a lot of their employees are.
lower-middle management will take a beating
as upped middle management seeks to create some distance between themselves and the mob

:nod:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

It’d be nice if we don’t print and throw trillions in free money to corporations, etc over the next couple years to “stimulate” employment

But we will... Congresscritters will climb over each other to get their names on any cash from the sky bill that they can get their hands on

It’s all they know how to do and requires little though, effort or creativity
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:19 pm It’d be nice if we don’t print and throw trillions in free money to corporations, etc over the next couple years to “stimulate” employment

But we will... Congresscritters will climb over each other to get their names on any cash from the sky bill that they can get their hands on

I agree, for all of Trump's failings during this crisis, what makes it worse is that Congress looks rudderless and without concern on how to actually function. I heard a good blip on NPR today as I was coming to work - I missed the first part of it but it talked about how in Congress these days the actual power over what gets legislated is really in the hands of a few senior people in each house of Congress - the newer faces and the newly elected don't really get a lot of say or influence. As a result, the only way for newer members to make any noise is to do that, be noisy. It's why we end up electing more people that are good at soundbites but maybe not so good actually crafting legislation. I've never been one in the past for term limits but I've come full circle as of late. I'm all in favor of maxing Congresspeople at 10 years (so 5 elections) and maxing Senators at 18 years (so 3 elections). That's more than enough time to make a difference and maybe even too much time, but I'm willing to err a little on the long as we get started with this. You could still have a person spend 28 years in government if they go from one house to the next, but I'd hope that wouldn't be too common.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:19 pm It’d be nice if we don’t print and throw trillions in free money to corporations, etc over the next couple years to “stimulate” employment

I agree, for all of Trump's failings during this crisis, what makes it worse is that Congress looks rudderless and without concern on how to actually function. I heard a good blip on NPR today as I was coming to work - I missed the first part of it but it talked about how in Congress these days the actual power over what gets legislated is really in the hands of a few senior people in each house of Congress - the newer faces and the newly elected don't really get a lot of say or influence. As a result, the only way for newer members to make any noise is to do that, be noisy. It's why we end up electing more people that are good at soundbites but maybe not so good actually crafting legislation. I've never been one in the past for term limits but I've come full circle as of late. I'm all in favor of maxing Congresspeople at 10 years (so 5 elections) and maxing Senators at 18 years (so 3 elections). That's more than enough time to make a difference and maybe even too much time, but I'm willing to err a little on the long as we get started with this. You could still have a person spend 28 years in government if they go from one house to the next, but I'd hope that wouldn't be too common.
They DON’T know how to function anymore Ganny... that’s the point!

Congress has abrogated every major authority they EVER had to the executive.

Wanna know why? Because it is easier to go back to Peoria and blame everything on the President (Buttrumps) than to take ownership of a floor vote

So,

We get wars without Congressional declarations

Appropriations without deliberations

Refusals to review or check the “pen and phone”

Congress is a collection of ineffectual cunts and if they were all eaten by wild dogs tomorrow (please!) we could replace them with garbage collectors from Albuquerque and nobody would fucking notice
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:07 am
GannonFan wrote:

Wanna know why? Because it is easier to go back to Peoria and blame everything on the President (Buttrumps) than to take ownership of a floor vote

So,

Congress is a collection of ineffectual cunts and if they were all eaten by wild dogs tomorrow (please!) we could replace them with garbage collectors from Albuquerque and nobody would fucking notice
Yup, that's on full display now, assuming they show up. And it's both houses, Dems and GOP'ers. It's like an old person Twitter mob these days.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:07 am
GannonFan wrote:

So,

C'mon CID, I don't think that's true. If we replaced Congress with garbage collectors from Albuquerque, Congress would likely become more effective.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:07 am They DON’T know how to function anymore Ganny... that’s the point!

So,

Yup, that's on full display now, assuming they show up. And it's both houses, Dems and GOP'ers. It's like an old person Twitter mob these days.
It’s the whole festering rotten lot of them

You know who could fix it?

A President with historical knowledge of how this shitshow is supposed to work.

Only the Executive can yield back power granted by Congress.

That’s why I think an Amash presidency would be YUGELY beneficial

Even though most Americans are totes cool with an imperial President as long as he is from “their” party

Which is why I’m heading offshore upon retirement. I’m just too sensitive to cunts
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:08 pm A friend in Virginia (Roanoke) passed away from it last night.

Fukc you all.
A friend of mine died in a car wreck last night.

Fuck you all :coffee:

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:43 am
dbackjon wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:08 pm A friend in Virginia (Roanoke) passed away from it last night.

Fukc you all.
Sorry to hear. I've had several friends die in car accidents.
Me too

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:55 am

Chapter 58

“In which GannonFan Discovers the Seniority System”

:lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:55 am

Chapter 58

Chapter 59

"In which GannonFan Discovers the Prevalence of Dementia and Decreased Ability to Reason in Older People"

Heck, I didn't even through in an idea to cap members of Congress by age. I was going to through in there that you can't be elected to a position where you'd be 75 or older before the end of your term, but I thought I'd leave that up to the voters.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:53 am
Ivytalk wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 pm
Chapter 58

Chapter 59

"In which GannonFan Discovers the Prevalence of Dementia and Decreased Ability to Reason in Older People"

Heck, I didn't even through in an idea to cap members of Congress by age. I was going to through in there that you can't be elected to a position where you'd be 75 or older before the end of your term, but I thought I'd leave that up to the voters.
How democratic of you! :mrgreen:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:31 pm 61,342 deaths in the USA (325 Million people)

225k worldwide (7.8 billion people)

What a fucking media driven joke. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
I looked up the latest year's estimate of total deaths in the US. The latest available is 2017. The total number of deaths for 2017 was 2,813,503. That works out to 7,708 deaths per day.

The first date on which COVID-19 deaths reached 2,000 was April 7. Since then through yesterday there have been an average of 2098 COVID-19 deaths per day.

Let's just round the 2017 total deaths per day figure up to 8,000. That means that during April 7 through May 1 the number of COVID-19 deaths per day is 26% of what we'd normally expect in terms of deaths per day. And, BTW, we are talking about deaths that are known. When the final estimates come out, the deaths per day number is going to be higher.

Meanwhile, Russia shut down Moscow. The last time Russia (then the USSR) did something like that it was in response to smallpox during the early 1960s. Russia didn't shut down Moscow in 2020 because of the media.

I normally don't say personal things. But in this case I will make a general statement: If a person continues to go with this "it's no big deal" thing driven by the media narrative at this point, that person is a fool.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

People deal with this scenario all the time. Chemo patients have to be quarantined all through treatment.

You don't hear them asking to shut down the country.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:05 pm People deal with this scenario all the time. Chemo patients have to be quarantined all through treatment.

Cancer is easily spread to the rest of the population?
Go Black Bears!
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

mainejeff wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:05 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:05 pm People deal with this scenario all the time. Chemo patients have to be quarantined all through treatment.

Don't be dumb.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

grizzaholic wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:27 am

Don't be dumb.
I'm the one being dumb when he is comparing down the economy due to an an easily spread virus vs. cancer patients receiving chemo? :roll:
Go Black Bears!
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

mainejeff wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:04 am

Don't be dumb.
I'm the one being dumb when he is comparing down the economy due to an an easily spread virus vs. cancer patients receiving chemo? :roll:
Be smarter.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

No, cancer patients are at risk of contracting life threatening illnesses due to suppressed immune systems.

If we are going to cry over susceptible people, let's include them all.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

grizzaholic wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:43 am

Be smarter.
Asking a tiger to change his stripes.
Aho Old Guy
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Tweetsee
A.K.A.: Evil & Nastie

Post by Aho Old Guy »

I suspect some folks quarantine themselves, and tolerate side-effects passively. If the blood 'works' maintain minimums, there is likely no medical reason to 'self-quarantine.'

Some folks become psychologically distressed due to the side-effects --- that makes them feel uneasy. AND, since they had heard others describing the negative side-effects, it indirectly traumatizes them
:D

Don't be dumb.

Ding!
Chemo is in a controlled medical setting. An asymptomatic dunderhead (Patient 31 in S Korea?) can fook-over dozens if not hundreds ...
"But the damned and the guiltiest among you are the men who had the capacity to know, yet chose to blank out reality, the men who were willing to sell their intelligence into cynical servitude..."
- John Galt
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Aho Old Guy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:27 pm

I suspect some folks quarantine themselves, and tolerate side-effects passively. If the blood 'works' maintain minimums, there is likely no medical reason to 'self-quarantine.'

Some folks become psychologically distressed due to the side-effects --- that makes them feel uneasy. AND, since they had heard others describing the negative side-effects, it indirectly traumatizes them
:D

Ding!
Chemo is in a controlled medical setting. An asymptomatic dunderhead (Patient 31 in S Korea?) can fook-over dozens if not hundreds ...
That's not what I said, nor was it my point. We already have people who are immunocompromised and they take precautions. Those who are susceptible to COVID can exercise the same caution while life goes on.