Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by mainejeff »

kalm wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:33 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:51 pm

Uh.....US IS the top energy producer. And it happened during his term. There’s no “however” about it. We became the top oil producing country in the world last year.
And it all started in 2017! :lol:
Trumpm IS responsible for our oil boom. :thumb: If it weren't for Trump we would still be buying oil from the Muslins. :thumb:
Go Black Bears!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:51 pm

Uh.....US IS the top energy producer. And it happened during his term. There’s no “however” about it. We became the top oil producing country in the world last year.
He didn't say (and neither did I) that it started under his term. But it was under his term that it happened.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:45 am

He didn't say (and neither did I) that it started under his term. But it was under his term that it happened.
You are correct! :thumb:
Go Black Bears!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

As I was watching a Republican Congressman lie about the effect of the tax cut on revenue today I thought, for some reason, about Republicans claiming the tax cut would cause job growth to accelerate. So I first Googled about when the tax cut went into effect and saw that it was January 1, 2018. Then I went to https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/ces0000 ... w=net_1mth and copied and pasted some numbers from the table you can see when you scroll down there into Excel and did some calculations.

And here's what I got:

In the 25 months since the tax cut went into effect, the US economy has created an average of 185 thousand jobs per month.

In the 25 months before the tax cut went into effect, the US economy created 189 thousand jobs per month.

Get the picture? No, I'm not going to say the tax cut decreased job growth. But there sure as heck any evidence that it increased it.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:13 pm As I was watching a Republican Congressman lie about the effect of the tax cut on revenue today I thought, for some reason, about Republicans claiming the tax cut would cause job growth to accelerate. So I first Googled about when the tax cut went into effect and saw that it was January 1, 2018. Then I went to https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/ces0000 ... w=net_1mth and copied and pasted some numbers from the table you can see when you scroll down there into Excel and did some calculations.

And here's what I got:

In the 25 months since the tax cut went into effect, the US economy has created an average of 185 thousand jobs per month.

In the 25 months before the tax cut went into effect, the US economy created 189 thousand jobs per month.

Get the picture? No, I'm not going to say the tax cut decreased job growth. But there sure as heck any evidence that it increased it.
You’re absolutely right, John. Because those 25 month periods are exactly the same in every sense.

You know, for a guy who supposedly prefers “controlled” experiments you sure seem to make a lot of fallacious comparisons.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:48 pm
You know, for a guy who supposedly prefers “controlled” experiments you sure seem to make a lot of fallacious comparisons.
No sex talk here. :tothehand:
Go Black Bears!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Looks like the strongest economy ever is now required to cut scheduled federal pay raises for 2021... :lol:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Wrong thread...
Last edited by BDKJMU on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:13 pm As I was watching a Republican Congressman lie about the effect of the tax cut on revenue today I thought, for some reason, about Republicans claiming the tax cut would cause job growth to accelerate. So I first Googled about when the tax cut went into effect and saw that it was January 1, 2018. Then I went to https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/ces0000 ... w=net_1mth and copied and pasted some numbers from the table you can see when you scroll down there into Excel and did some calculations.

And here's what I got:

You’re absolutely right, John. Because those 25 month periods are exactly the same in every sense.

There can never be a controlled experiment with this sort of thing. But they said it would accelerate the job creation rate. Suppose the job creation rate would have increased. Then we might talk about whether or not we could say there was a cause and effect relationship and the role of a controlled experiment. But the rate did not increase.

BTW I've noted that you've said we should consider what the Federal reserve is doing. The Federal reserve lowered the rate 3 times during 2019 and the average job creation rate was 175 thousand per month. The Federal reserve raised the rate 5 times during 2018 and the average job creation rate was 193 thousand per month.

So job creation was higher during 2018 when the Federal Reserve was raising rates than it was during 2019 when the Federal reserve was lowering rates. That makes perfect sense to me based on why I think the Federal reserve decides to raise or lower rates.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Oh, and BTW Trump said GDP growth would go to 4 to 6% due to the tax cuts. How's that working out?
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:20 pm

There can never be a controlled experiment with this sort of thing. But they said it would accelerate the job creation rate. Suppose the job creation rate would have increased. Then we might talk about whether or not we could say there was a cause and effect relationship and the role of a controlled experiment. But the rate did not increase.

BTW I've noted that you've said we should consider what the Federal reserve is doing. The Federal reserve lowered the rate 3 times during 2019 and the average job creation rate was 175 thousand per month. The Federal reserve raised the rate 5 times during 2018 and the average job creation rate was 193 thousand per month.

So job creation was higher during 2018 when the Federal Reserve was raising rates than it was during 2019 when the Federal reserve was lowering rates. That makes perfect sense to me based on why I think the Federal reserve decides to raise or lower rates.

Who’s to know what the job creation rate would be if they hadn’t lowered the rate multiple times.

You’re impossible.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Who’s to know what the job creation rate would be if they hadn’t lowered the rate multiple times.

You’re impossible.
But, but, but, headwinds!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 am

You’re impossible.
Pipe down. If you don't get it, you don't get it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:45 am
kalm wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 am

Feel free to explain... :popcorn:
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

You’re impossible.
In fairness Trump directed the Fed to lower those rates. :thumb: I love a strong President! :nod:
Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Looks like a new patriotic channel from Fox....

https://nation.foxnews.com

God bLess Fox and God Bless America! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Go Black Bears!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

mainejeff wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:34 am

You’re impossible.
In fairness Trump directed the Fed to lower those rates. :thumb: I love a strong President! :nod:
Yeah, sparky. That's not how it works.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

It's not how it used to work.

But, the Fed did lower the rate 3 times in 2019 after Trump got his Fed chairman and bashing the previous one for not lowering the rate.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:58 am It's not how it used to work.

But, the Fed did lower the rate 3 times in 2019 after Trump got his Fed chairman and bashing the previous one for not lowering the rate.
Still not how it works. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

They lowered the rate three times to (successfully, I might add) stave off the recession that all the donks were praying for.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Look what the stock market did at the end of 2018. Trump was not wrong in bashing the Fed. They screwed up and changed their posture. The stock market rebounded after the Fed "corrected" their course.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

So, Trump's economy IS benefiting from Fed policy. Sounds different from what y'all usually argue.
Last edited by Skjellyfetti on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:51 am

Look what the stock market did at the end of 2018. Trump was not wrong in bashing the Fed. They screwed up and changed their posture. The stock market rebounded after the Fed "corrected" their course.
JSO is just CERTAIN the Fed is complicit in Trump's evil plan to keep the economic expansion going strong. What a bastard that Trump is. He's got a lot of nerve not letting this country sink into a recession just so he can get reelected.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:54 am So, Trump's economy IS benefiting from Fed policy. Sounds different from what y'all had been arguing.
Jesus. You really are stupid, aren't you? :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:10 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:45 am
Feel free to explain... :popcorn:
If
you
don't
get
it,
you
don't
get
it.
:mrgreen:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:54 am So, Trump's economy IS benefiting from Fed policy. Sounds different from what y'all usually argue.
:shock: :ohno: :ohno:
Fed policy is benefiting from Trump's economy in that they have been able to raise rates. But they went too far without sound reasons and have backed off a bit.

We haven't argued that rates shouldn't go up. We argued that it is more difficult to grow the economy with rising rates.
Therefore same economic growth during rising rates is more impressive than during dropping rates.