All other college sports!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

2019 NCAA Softball Tournament

Post by BDKJMU »

Going all SuperHornet on you’all. I have to admit I know much about fast pitch softball, only the slow pitch, beer drinking kind.

#16 JMU (47-7), won 19 straight game, swept the CAA tournament, outscoring opponents in 3 games 33-1. Even more impressive the games were only 5 innings long (I thought they played 7 inning games).

NCAA tournament apparently 64 teams. 16 teams are seeded and host 4 team regionals. JMU ranked #16 but not seeded/not hosting a regional. Are playing in Michigan’s regional, even though #19 Michigan (43-11) is ranked lower AND JMU beat them 3-0 earlier this season. Sounds like some P5 bias BS there. :ohno:
https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/softball/d1/2019
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: 2019 NCAA Softball Tournament

Post by dbackjon »

Games are normally 7 innings, but if a team is ahead by 8 or more after 5 innings, the game is called (Run Rule)
:thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

NDSU gets Minnesota in the first game and arguably the toughest region in Minneapolis. Bison are in their 9th regional since 2009.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JMU downs DePaul 5-2. Big clash with Michigan tomorrow ESPNU 4:30 pm.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote:Games are normally 7 innings, but if a team is ahead by 8 or more after 5 innings, the game is called (Run Rule)
So they do it in college baseball too?

Lawl imagine if they called football games after 3 quarters because a team was down by 50..
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

BDKJMU wrote:
dbackjon wrote:Games are normally 7 innings, but if a team is ahead by 8 or more after 5 innings, the game is called (Run Rule)
So they do it in college baseball too?

Lawl imagine if they called football games after 3 quarters because a team was down by 50..
Yes, a little different in baseball - if they are playing 9 innings, it is after 7.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

As for football....

The National Collegiate Athletic Association's mercy rule provides, "Any time during the game, the playing time of any remaining period or periods and the intermission between halves may be shortened by mutual agreement of the opposing head coaches and the referee." (NCAA Football Rule 3-2-2-a)[6] NCAA Football Approved Ruling 3-2-2-I cites an example: "At halftime the score is 56–0. The coaches and the referee agree that the third and fourth quarters should be shortened to 12 minutes each. The coaches also request that the second half be played with a 'running clock' i.e., that the game clock not be stopped." The NCAA Football Rules Committee determined, "The remaining quarters may be shortened to 12 minutes each. However, the 'running clock' is not allowed; normal clock rules apply for the entire game." [7]

The most recent example of an NCAA football game shortened by invoking this rule occurred September 1, 2018 during a game Georgia played against Austin Peay in Athens Georgia. With the score 45-0 in the 3rd quarter and a high heat index, the Austin Peay Coach Will Healy suggested to Georgia head coach Kirby Smart that they play a 10 minute fourth quarter instead of the typical 15 minute fourth quarter. The coaches and referee agreed and the game was shortened.[8]

September 24, 2016 the Missouri Tigers led Delaware State 58–0 at halftime. The coaches agreed to shorten the third and fourth quarters from 15 minutes to 10 minutes each, shortening the total game time from 60 minutes to 50 minutes. Missouri added three touchdowns in the abbreviated second half to make the final score 79–0, setting team records for the most points scored in a game (79), the greatest margin of victory (79), and the largest number of touchdowns scored (11). (Missouri would have scored 80 points, but it had missed an extra point early in the game).

Also in 2016, the game between Clemson and South Carolina State had both the third and fourth quarters shortened from 15 minutes to 12 as a result of Clemson leading the game at half 45-0. The final score of the game was 59-0. [9]

Earlier in 2016, the game between Texas State and Arkansas saw the fourth quarter shortened to 10 minutes when severe thunderstorms were approaching Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium. Arkansas led 42–3 at the end of the third quarter, and the final period was scoreless. A similar scenario took place in 2017 in the game between TCU and Kansas, where the coaches agreed to a running clock for the final 12:49 of the game due to severe thunderstorms approaching Amon G. Carter Stadium.

In a 2013 game, Old Dominion University (ODU) was losing to the University of North Carolina (UNC) 80–20 when ODU coach Bobby Wilder asked for the fourth quarter to be shortened by five minutes, which UNC coach Larry Fedora agreed to. Fedora also directed his quarterback to take a knee on fourth and goal with 1:53 remaining to not run up the score.[10]

In a 1988 game, Kansas Jayhawks coach Glen Mason asked if a running clock could be used after his team trailed 49–0 at halftime to the Auburn Tigers. Auburn coach Pat Dye and the officials agreed, and Auburn ended up a 56–7 winner.[11]
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

dbackjon wrote:As for football....

The National Collegiate Athletic Association's mercy rule provides, "Any time during the game, the playing time of any remaining period or periods and the intermission between halves may be shortened by mutual agreement of the opposing head coaches and the referee." (NCAA Football Rule 3-2-2-a)[6] NCAA Football Approved Ruling 3-2-2-I cites an example: "At halftime the score is 56–0. The coaches and the referee agree that the third and fourth quarters should be shortened to 12 minutes each. The coaches also request that the second half be played with a 'running clock' i.e., that the game clock not be stopped." The NCAA Football Rules Committee determined, "The remaining quarters may be shortened to 12 minutes each. However, the 'running clock' is not allowed; normal clock rules apply for the entire game." [7]

The most recent example of an NCAA football game shortened by invoking this rule occurred September 1, 2018 during a game Georgia played against Austin Peay in Athens Georgia. With the score 45-0 in the 3rd quarter and a high heat index, the Austin Peay Coach Will Healy suggested to Georgia head coach Kirby Smart that they play a 10 minute fourth quarter instead of the typical 15 minute fourth quarter. The coaches and referee agreed and the game was shortened.[8]

September 24, 2016 the Missouri Tigers led Delaware State 58–0 at halftime. The coaches agreed to shorten the third and fourth quarters from 15 minutes to 10 minutes each, shortening the total game time from 60 minutes to 50 minutes. Missouri added three touchdowns in the abbreviated second half to make the final score 79–0, setting team records for the most points scored in a game (79), the greatest margin of victory (79), and the largest number of touchdowns scored (11). (Missouri would have scored 80 points, but it had missed an extra point early in the game).

Also in 2016, the game between Clemson and South Carolina State had both the third and fourth quarters shortened from 15 minutes to 12 as a result of Clemson leading the game at half 45-0. The final score of the game was 59-0. [9]

Earlier in 2016, the game between Texas State and Arkansas saw the fourth quarter shortened to 10 minutes when severe thunderstorms were approaching Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium. Arkansas led 42–3 at the end of the third quarter, and the final period was scoreless. A similar scenario took place in 2017 in the game between TCU and Kansas, where the coaches agreed to a running clock for the final 12:49 of the game due to severe thunderstorms approaching Amon G. Carter Stadium.

In a 2013 game, Old Dominion University (ODU) was losing to the University of North Carolina (UNC) 80–20 when ODU coach Bobby Wilder asked for the fourth quarter to be shortened by five minutes, which UNC coach Larry Fedora agreed to. Fedora also directed his quarterback to take a knee on fourth and goal with 1:53 remaining to not run up the score.[10]

In a 1988 game, Kansas Jayhawks coach Glen Mason asked if a running clock could be used after his team trailed 49–0 at halftime to the Auburn Tigers. Auburn coach Pat Dye and the officials agreed, and Auburn ended up a 56–7 winner.[11]

Looks like Georgia Techs win over Cumberland will never be broken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote:As for football....

Thats the difference- ‘May be’. Have to have the 2 opposing coaches and officials agree. Sounds like baseball and softball its automatic.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Yes, in baseball and softball it is automatic

One big difference - football and basketball are timed games, so eventually they will end. A softball/baseball game could, in theory last forever if a team couldn't get anyone out.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote:Yes, in baseball and softball it is automatic

One big difference - football and basketball are timed games, so eventually they will end. A softball/baseball game could, in theory last forever if a team couldn't get anyone out.
Well, that is a good point.

In other news, I see ESPN is televising a lot of this tourney. 3 games on now (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU).
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote:NDSU gets Minnesota in the first game and arguably the toughest region in Minneapolis. Bison are in their 9th regional since 2009.
JMU's 7th straight NCAAs. I know have never made the College World Series. Not sure if 2016 was the only time ever made the Super Regionals. Word on the JMU board is this team is at least as good as 2016.
2018 Lost NCAA Regionals, finished 43-14.
2017: Lost NCAA Regionals, finished 52-8.
2016: Lost NCAA Super Regionals to LSU 2 games to. Finsished 50-6. Were 49-4 heading into the Super Regionals.
2015: Lost NCAA Regionals, finished 48-10.
2014 Lost NCAA Regionals, finished 45-14.
2013 Lost NCAA Regionals, finished 42-17
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Bison lose 3-0 to Minnesota
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Damn JMU loses to Michigan 1-0 in 12 innings.
https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2019/0 ... utType=amp
12th inning from what I was reading on the JMU board apparently JMU had I think 1 out and 1 on base and the ump called JMU player out at 1st. Everyone watching was saying it wasn’t even close to being out & JMU probably would’ve scored a run there and it would have gone to at least 13 innings. Michigan article above with comments by a # of Michigan fans saying yeah, the ump blew that one. No instant replay sounds like a crock.
In 2 games vs Michigan, 21 innings, JMU has given up 1 run. Article says JMU’s 3x All American pitcher Megan Good threw 182 pitches. Girl can’t do it by herself.

JMU now facing single elimination beats DePaul again 3-0. DePaul and StFU both eliminated. JMU would have to beat Michigan twice tomorrow in a doubleheader to advance. That’s not happening. Oh well.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Bison season over, good luck to former Bison co-coach and Minnesota.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote:Damn JMU loses to Michigan 1-0 in 12 innings.
https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2019/0 ... utType=amp
12th inning from what I was reading on the JMU board apparently JMU had I think 1 out and 1 on base and the ump called JMU player out at 1st. Everyone watching was saying it wasn’t even close to being out & JMU probably would’ve scored a run there and it would have gone to at least 13 innings. Michigan article above with comments by a # of Michigan fans saying yeah, the ump blew that one. No instant replay sounds like a crock.
In 2 games vs Michigan, 21 innings, JMU has given up 1 run. Article says JMU’s 3x All American pitcher Megan Good threw 182 pitches. Girl can’t do it by herself.

JMU now facing single elimination beats DePaul again 3-0. DePaul and StFU both eliminated. JMU would have to beat Michigan twice tomorrow in a doubleheader to advance. That’s not happening. Oh well.
Incompetent officiating. Unbelievable they would call that out.
https://csnbbs.com/attachment.php?aid=9874
The game(s) yesterday were postponed by rain & thunderstorms until today. At least JMU's AA pitcher will be more rested to go a full game again.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote:Bison season over, good luck to former Bison co-coach and Minnesota.
14 of 16 seeded teams advanced so far. Minnesota and Michigan last 2 seeds still trying to advance today after weather postponed elimination games yesterday.

JMU vs Michigan on ESPN2 now. Hopefully JMU wins the 1st and forces a 2nd game.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote:Bison season over, good luck to former Bison co-coach and Minnesota.
JMU wins 1st game today 3-0. Hit 2 HR off of Michigan's ace pitcher.
2nd deciding game on ESPN2 now. Both team's starting pitchers are pitching again. I didn't think you could pitch 2 games in a row, but maybe that's just baseball.

They just announced that Minnesota just beat UGA in Minneapolis, so 15 of the 16 seeded have advanced.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

BDKJMU wrote:
JMU wins 1st game today 3-0. Hit 2 HR off of Michigan's ace pitcher.
2nd deciding game on ESPN2 now. Both team's starting pitchers are pitching again. I didn't think you could pitch 2 games in a row, but maybe that's just baseball.

They just announced that Minnesota just beat UGA in Minneapolis, so 15 of the 16 seeded have advanced.
Yup - if JMU wins, they will be only non-seed to advance
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Congrats to JMU - only non P5 team in the Super Regionals
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

congrats JMU
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote:Congrats to JMU - only non P5 team in the Super Regionals
Gil Dobie wrote:congrats JMU
Thanks. Good that someone popped the P5 bubble. Flipping through some games I heard that ALL 13 SEC teams were in the tournament, even 1 team, forgot who, that was 6-18 in conference play.

Whenever the rare occasion I've watched any of the other womens' college sports (basketballl, field hock, lacrosse, etc) you don't see any fat girls outside of maybe goal. Flipping through some of the different games on the 3 ESPN channels over the weekend I noticed that damn, there's a lot of BIG girls playing softball. :shock: JMU has a couple, but neither play, and Michigan had a biggun DH. But a # of other teams had a # of big girls playing..UNC was one..I'm talking 200lb ers..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Mon May 20, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: In 2 games vs Michigan, 21 innings, JMU has given up 1 run. Article says JMU’s 3x All American pitcher Megan Good threw 182 pitches. Girl can’t do it by herself.

JMU now facing single elimination beats DePaul again 3-0. DePaul and StFU both eliminated. JMU would have to beat #15 seed Michigan twice tomorrow in a doubleheader to advance. That’s not happening. Oh well.
WTF do I know. JMU wins 3-0 and 2-1 today. :nod: :clap: :thumb: Advances to the Super Regional vs #2 seed UCLA.

Good pitches both games/alll 14 innings vs Michigan today. In the 3 games/26 inning this weekend vs Michigan, Good (at JMU they call her Megan Great), the only Sr on JMU's roster, yields only 2 runs. And she homered in the 2nd game. Apparently she can almost do it by herself. (Ironically, the 3-0 win over Michigan earlier in the season was JMU's #2 pitcher vs Michigan's #2 at the Az St Univ tournament).
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JMU @ #2 UCLA
Friday ESPNU 9:00 PM ECB
Saturday ESPN 8:00 PM ECB
Sunday ESPNU 4:00 PM ECB (If necessary)

With this girl pitching every game
https://jmusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=15239
JMU will still be heavy dogs, but has a chance against against the #2 Bruins. 2015-2017, before missing last season to knee surgery, she was 99-9 as a starter. In 17' she was 3rd in National Player of the Year voting, with a .63 ERA.
Article from 2015, her Fr yr, former JMU HC now at Auburn said her fastball had been clocked as fast as 72 mph, which from 43 feet is the equivalent to 110+ in baseball. This year clocked at 74..
Getting back to form, slipped to 20-6 this season, with a 1.39 ERA, pitching most of the top opponents while the #2 & 3 pitchers pitched most of the easier ones.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Liberty is still alive in the NISC, having taken out Rutgers (1-0), Kent State (4-0), and Marshall (7-0) to win the Lynchburg Regional.

The Flames (40-20) are now in the Final Four along with Iowa State, Loyola Marymount, and UT-Arlington. First game is against UT-Arlington, FRI at 1800 local time in Fort Collins, CO. It's a double-elimination format, with the ISU-LMU and Liberty-UTA losers facing off in an elimination game at 1000 Sat, with the winners playing at 1300. The winner's bracket loser will play the loser's bracket winner in a nightcap at 1600. The Final Two will play at Noon on Sunday for all the marbles; if the one climbing out of the loser's bracket wins, they'll play again at 1530.

This is the second time in the last three years Liberty has been in the NISC Final Four....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.