Trump announces Brett Kavanaugh as his 2nd SCOTUS nominee.

Political discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Trump announces Brett Kavanaugh as his 2nd SCOTUS nominee.

Post by 89Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote:Do you disagree with the proposition that he lied about that? Do you think someone could've been drinking regularly in high school as an underage drinker and not know he was underage at the time?
I don't have the transcript, but I'm pretty sure he said it was legal for seniors for most of his time in HS. I don't think he ever claimed it was legal for him to drink as a sub-18 kid. This is all you have? :coffee:
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

89Hen wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:Do you disagree with the proposition that he lied about that? Do you think someone could've been drinking regularly in high school as an underage drinker and not know he was underage at the time?
I don't have the transcript, but I'm pretty sure he said it was legal for seniors for most of his time in HS. I don't think he ever claimed it was legal for him to drink as a sub-18 kid. This is all you have? :coffee:

JSO claims he is a conservative, yet hates the conservative judge. SMH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Drinking age in Maryland change to 21 in 1982, before Kavanaugh was 18. The only way he was legal, was if a parent, spouse or teacher was with him, or he was in DC, which was 18 at the time.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: I don't have the transcript, but I'm pretty sure he said it was legal for seniors for most of his time in HS. I don't think he ever claimed it was legal for him to drink as a sub-18 kid. This is all you have? :coffee:
Drinking age in Maryland change to 21 in 1982, before Kavanaugh was 18. The only way he was legal, was if a parent, spouse or teacher was with him, or he was in DC, which was 18 at the time.
Correct but again, I'm pretty sure he said seniors were legal for most of his HS (they were for three of the four years). He never claimed to be legally drinking at age 17 or lower. Am I missing something here?

BTW, Mrs 89 turned 18 on July 2, 1982. The drinking age was changed on July 1, 1982. She literally missed it by one day. :shock:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Correct but again, I'm pretty sure he said seniors were legal for most of his HS (they were for three of the four years). He never claimed to be legally drinking at age 17 or lower. Am I missing something here?

BTW, Mrs 89 turned 18 on July 2, 1982. The drinking age was changed on July 1, 1982. She literally missed it by one day. :shock:
Got it.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

So she’s about 3 years older than you? :?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote:
89Hen wrote: Correct but again, I'm pretty sure he said seniors were legal for most of his HS (they were for three of the four years). He never claimed to be legally drinking at age 17 or lower. Am I missing something here?

Almost. 8-)
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: So she’s about 3 years older than you? :?
Almost. 8-)
I turned 18 just five days before the drinking age change in Maryland in 1982
which grandfathered me in if I remember correctly but I don't ever remember being carded

and I drank this stuff by the gallon
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote:
89Hen wrote: Almost. 8-)
which grandfathered me in if I remember correctly but I don't ever remember being carded

:puke:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

:puke:
Hey,
It's what everybody our age drank in Baltimore... (at that time)
it was cheap is probably why
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: :puke:
Hey,
I remember in boot camp I made friends with a couple guys from Pennsylvania. We were all going to the same next duty station, so when we left boot camp and went home, I brought them a case of Rainer and they brought me a case of Gennie Cream Ale. Not sure who got the worst of that deal. :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Hey,
I remember in boot camp I made friends with a couple guys from Pennsylvania. We were all going to the same next duty station, so when we left boot camp and went home, I brought them a case of Rainer and they brought me a case of Gennie Cream Ale. Not sure who got the worst of that deal. :lol:
My buddy who lives in Seattle says it's big with the hipsters (at least the ones too poor to afford craft brew), so they say it with a French(?) accent (Rawneeyea).

I equate Ranier to PBR, which is what all the rednecks in my area drink.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
My buddy who lives in Seattle says it's big with the hipsters (at least the ones too poor to afford craft brew), so they say it with a French(?) accent (Rawneeyea).

We used to sell Rainer glass pounders at the course back in the day. Also used to drink the green death once in awhile...

This was right up there with it though....

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Ivytalk wrote:[Merrick Garland ‘s opinions show that he was in the philosophical pocket of organized labor and the administrative state. So count your blessings.
The media keep talking about Roe. But you're right. The conservatives are really after the administrative state and their primary objective is to overrule Chevron deference.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: :puke:
Hey,
Did the same in NJ. :nod:
Although Red, White, and Blue was my "Go To" cheap 6-pack in NJ during the summers.

Old Milwaukee, Strohs, and Busch in college.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Dumbasses. They probably shop at Tar-jea (Target)
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:[Merrick Garland ‘s opinions show that he was in the philosophical pocket of organized labor and the administrative state. So count your blessings.
The media keep talking about Roe. But you're right. The conservatives are really after the administrative state and their primary objective is to overrule Chevron deference.
Thanks to both of you for the education...a little research, and I am much smarter...

:thumb:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Somebody better give John Roberts a tutorial on Chevron.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, like Col, I'm a little more informed now as well. Maybe Gorsuch is the one who should be talking to Roberts.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Ivytalk wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:
I assume you are referencing his ACA decision?
:nod:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Trump announces Brett Kavanaugh as his 2nd SCOTUS nominee.

Post by UNI88 »

Ivytalk wrote:
89Hen wrote: Correct but again, I'm pretty sure he said seniors were legal for most of his HS (they were for three of the four years). He never claimed to be legally drinking at age 17 or lower. Am I missing something here?

Chronologically. Philosophically, 89 is in his mid 70's. ;)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:Here's how far we've all fallen when it comes to substance...

We are borking Kavanaugh because of an unsubstantiated accusation of sexual assault ... and perusing his yearbook to see if he did what dumb teen boys do

There's literally zero evidence that he has problems with stare decisis - which would be an issue for all the Roe people. But even IF Roe was in fact overturned, abortion rights would likely increase in about 80% of the country, would be redefined and limited to 24 weeks of gestation in the other 19% and MAYBE would wind up being illegal altogether in maybe Mississippi - so the Roe concern is not a substantive concern, at least not in comparison to teen "boofing"... according to all us children

But Kavanaugh does present a threat civil liberties that affect every last one of us, and nobody really gives a damn about it. Kavanaugh has been very clear that he finds warrantless surveillance, such as the NSA collection of metadata to be perfectly in sync with the 4th Amendment. That, to me, is disqualifying ... more so than anything else

And it is telling that nobody in the Senate Jud Committee, on either side, or anybody else in the country for that matter thinks it is worth going after him on it. Not a peep. Democrats are big government statists... that's been obvious for years. But not one Republican has brought this issue up in any substantive way. There have been mentions of it, but nobody has made the stink it deserves

Its probably right there in the 96% of his body of work that isn't available for review. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Chizzang wrote:
89Hen wrote: Almost. 8-)

That stuff was huge in the 70s and early 80s for sure in this region. I basically grew up in and around a campground my grandfather owned in Slower DE that was patronized primarily by fishermen from Pennsylvania. They were knocking back cases of that shit every night.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

89Hen wrote:
It was never legal for him to drink in high school in Maryland while he was in high school. It was legal for him to drink in high school if he went to Washington DC to do it for 3 months during February to May 1983. He was clearly trying to mislead. He was clearly trying to create the impression that he didn't do anything illegal.

Would you care to bet on what would happen if they decided, just for the heck of it, to do an inquiry into the question of whether he ever drank in Maryland while he was in High School? The guy clearly showed a willingness to mischaracterize his behavior.

phpBB [video]
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

JohnStOnge wrote:
89Hen wrote: I don't have the transcript, but I'm pretty sure he said it was legal for seniors for most of his time in HS. I don't think he ever claimed it was legal for him to drink as a sub-18 kid. This is all you have? :coffee:
It was never legal for him to drink in high school in Maryland while he was in high school. It was legal for him to drink in high school if he went to Washington DC to do it for 3 months during February to May 1983. He was clearly trying to mislead. He was clearly trying to create the impression that he didn't do anything illegal.

Would you care to bet on what would happen if they decided, just for the heck of it, to do an inquiry into the question of whether he ever drank in Maryland while he was in High School? The guy clearly showed a willingness to mischaracterize his behavior.

phpBB [video]
No one cares. He's been confirmed. You seriously need to go see a counselor about your TDS. If Kavanaugh had been nominated by GWB you'd be spewing electronic diarrhea about how great he is. Seriously, please get some help.

If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire