Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 10-1

Post by JALMOND »

As we turn the calendar into October, teams are playing games that will mean something come crunch time. Those teams that are decided usually do better than those that are still trying to find themselves at this point. What started out as possibly nine teams thinking they had a shot this year has evolved into one sure team (EWU) and five others that are trying to keep up. Then, as usual, there is one from the 4 "also-mentions", Idaho State, that has emerged as a serious contender in this early season. Here are this week's power rankings in the Big Sky (last week's rankings in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Here we go.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week won at Montana State 34-17, this week Southern Utah at home---The Eagles sit atop the conference after a good, solid conference road win last weekend. They head back to their red field and welcome another worthy opponent.

2. Weber State (2)---Last week bye, this week at Northern Arizona ---The Wildcats got a strong home win two weeks ago, then took last week off. Eager to get back in the swing of things, they go out on the road to meet the reeling Lumberjacks.

3. UC Davis (3)---Last week bye, this week at Northern Colorado---Coming off an impressive home rout of the new kids in the conference, the Aggies took a week off to prepare for the rest of their conference slate. They head out on the road this weekend.

4. Montana (5)---Last week won at Cal Poly 48-28, this week Portland State at home---Every week, the Grizzlies look tougher and tougher and they showed it by getting a conference road win. They'll welcome hapless Portland State to their home field.

5. Montana State (4)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home 34-17, this week bye---The Bobcats gave a good fight at home last week but still came out short against a good Eagles team. They get a week off to lick their wounds and rest.

6. Sacramento State (6)---Last week bye, this week Cal Poly at home---After a disappointing showing on the road at a place they've never won, the Hornets took last week off to regroup and hopefully refocus. They should get an easy game this weekend.

7. Idaho State (8)---Last week beat Northern Arizona at home 56-42, this week Idaho at home---Before the big showdown this weekend, the Bengals put any notion of looking ahead to rest as they came out blazing to continue a great season so far. Now comes the game they've been looking forward to.

8. Northern Arizona (7)---Last week lost at Idaho State 56-42, this week Weber State at home---Life without Cookus has not been kind to the Lumberjacks as they continue to spiral out of control. A tough road loss and now a tough opponent comes to town.

9. Idaho (10)---Last week beat Portland State at home 20-7, this week at Idaho State---During a game when their offense was stymied, their defense and special teams rose up and got their conference win. But they get rewarded by meeting up with their in-state brethren.

10. Northern Colorado (9)---Last week lost to North Dakota at home 38-13, this week UC Davis at home---Again, the Bears looked tough for a bit, yet could not get a win. Soon, they have to figure out how to win these games because things don't get easy.

11. Southern Utah (11)---Last week bye, this week at Eastern Washington---The Thunderbirds welcomed a much needed bye to regroup and try to salvage what is left of the season. They were thought of as possible contenders, now they need a win against a strong team.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week lost to Montana at home 48-28, this week at Sacramento State---Better things have to happen soon for the Mustangs, but for now they just can't get any traction going. A brutal start to the conference has taken its toll on them.

13. Portland State (13)---Last week lost at Idaho 20-7, this week at Montana---The Vikings defense finally rose up, yet this week it was the offense that sputtered in a loss. Now they hope to recover, but they have to go to hostile grounds to try to win. Not likely.

RECAP: 1, then 2-6 in a bunch with 7 gaining quickly, 8-11 falling, then 12, then 13.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 10-1

Post by AZGrizFan »

EWU
UC Davis
Weber
Montana
Sac State
Idaho State
Montana State
NAU
Idaho
UNC
SUU
CP
PSU
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

https://bigskyconf.com/news/2018/10/2/f ... -game.aspx
OGDEN, Utah (Oct. 2, 2018) – The Big Sky Conference announced on Tuesday that the eight-man crew from this past Saturday’s Idaho State and Northern Arizona football game will be suspended for their next assignment on Oct. 6.

“After a thorough review and evaluation of the Idaho State- Northern Arizona game, we have decided to suspend the officiating crew for one game,” said Interim Commissioner Ron Loghry.

The crew failed to verify the correct sequence of downs following a targeting penalty enforcement that was reversed by replay. This resulted in Northern Arizona replaying a second down when it should have been third down. Subsequently, Northern Arizona reached a first down on 3rd and 11 when it should have faced 4th and 11. The end result of the drive was an NAU touchdown.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:https://bigskyconf.com/news/2018/10/2/f ... -game.aspx
OGDEN, Utah (Oct. 2, 2018) – The Big Sky Conference announced on Tuesday that the eight-man crew from this past Saturday’s Idaho State and Northern Arizona football game will be suspended for their next assignment on Oct. 6.

“After a thorough review and evaluation of the Idaho State- Northern Arizona game, we have decided to suspend the officiating crew for one game,” said Interim Commissioner Ron Loghry.

The crew failed to verify the correct sequence of downs following a targeting penalty enforcement that was reversed by replay. This resulted in Northern Arizona replaying a second down when it should have been third down. Subsequently, Northern Arizona reached a first down on 3rd and 11 when it should have faced 4th and 11. The end result of the drive was an NAU touchdown.
There are three types of people in this world. Those can add and those who can’t.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

kalm wrote:
There are three types of people in this world. Those can pizza, those who can't, and those that move to places where pizza is shitty.
FIFY
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
There are three types of people in this world. Those can add and those who can’t.
Reminds me that I saw someone wearing this shirt at a baseball game:

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

grizzaholic wrote:
kalm wrote:
There are three types of people in this world. Those can pizza, those who can't, and those that move to places where pizza is shitty.
FIFY
I must be bipolar. :shock:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:
Reminds me that I saw someone wearing this shirt at a baseball game:

I don’t get it. :?

Must be the third type.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Reminds me that I saw someone wearing this shirt at a baseball game:

Must be the third type.
:facepalm:
Double play. You know. Baseball.

The one constant through all the years, kalm, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, kalm. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:

Must be the third type.

The one constant through all the years, kalm, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, kalm. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.
Major League?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:

Must be the third type.

Coyotes and the rolling hills of the mighty Palouse are constant.

Baseball sucks.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: :facepalm:

Major League?
Oooohhhhh.....soooooo close. One more try...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Something that is romantic about the sport.

I'm gonna go with The Simpsons
phpBB [video]
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

EWU
UC Davis
Montana
Weber State
Sacramento State
Idaho State
Montana State
Northern Arizona
Idaho
Southern Utah
Northern Colorado
Cal Poly
Portland State
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Well, this is going to be interesting. EWU and then, I don't know. Where's my dartboard? :lol:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:Well, this is going to be interesting. EWU and then, I don't know. Where's my dartboard? :lol:
Davis & ISU have no FCS losses, so they should be above the rest for now.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
JALMOND wrote:Well, this is going to be interesting. EWU and then, I don't know. Where's my dartboard? :lol:
True. Also, Montana State's two losses have come to FCS Top 5 teams. Where do I put them?

I'm just glad I don't have to compile a nationwide top 25 anymore. :)
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
True. Also, Montana State's two losses have come to FCS Top 5 teams. Where do I put them?

I'm just glad I don't have to compile a nationwide top 25 anymore. :)
The problem is that MSU was totally handled by those 2 teams. The SDSU game wasn't vaguely competitive, and the EWU game would've been a blowout if not for all the dropped passes.
Sapper
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Idaho State University

Post by Sapper »

ISU only loss is to Cal

1, EWU
2. ISU
3. UCD
BEAT WEBER!!!

JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Sapper wrote:ISU only loss is to Cal

1, EWU
2. ISU
3. UCD
Davis' only loss is to Stanford and EWU's only loss is to Wazzu. Those two are looking better in the Pac-12 than Cal. Also, Davis has an FBS win, although ISU has a good shot at getting one here soon.
Sapper
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Idaho State University

Post by Sapper »

ISU had a better win over Idaho than Davis did. Also I comes before U.
BEAT WEBER!!!