Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 9-17

Post by JALMOND »

Finally, most of the non-conference games are complete (aside from teams playing North Dakota) and conference play can start. Still, most teams have questions, old and new, and most are trying to decipher what they have from watching teams play up a level or down. Everyone in the conference plays this weekend so it should be a great start for the conference. Heading into this week, here are the power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinion only. Here we go, heading into the conference to decide a winner.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week, lost at Washington State (FBS Pac-12) 59-24, this week Cal Poly at home---The Eagles took care of business in the non-conference, taking down both the DII ranks and the FCS, as well as hanging tough with the Pac-12. They get their conference home opener this weekend.

2. Weber State (3)---Last week, beat South Dakota (Missouri Valley) 27-10, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Wildcats have been biding their time in the non-conference while they find a new quarterback. They got the only conference win over the Valley last week and hope to carry it forward.

3. Sacramento State (4)---Last week, won at Northern Colorado 28-25, this week at Montana---The Hornets got a strong road win over a conference foe setting the stage for an even tougher conference road game this weekend. Have they ever won in Missoula? Could this be the year?

4. UC-Davis (6)---Last week, lost at Stanford (FBS Pac-12) 30-10, this week Idaho at home---Stanford is more powerful than most FBS schools, yet the Aggies went toe to toe with them in the first half, then the lack of strength began to show. Should be no worries as they won't meet anyone that strong in the conference.

5. Montana (2)---Last week lost at Western Illinois (Missouri Valley) 31-27, this week Sacramento State at home---The Grizzlies seemed to have the game all sewn up, but two late scores did them in. Still going 1-1 against the Valley is good enough that they should enjoy being home for their first conference game.

6. Montana State (7)---Last week beat Wagner (Northeast ) 47-24, this week at Portland State---The Bobcats woke up soon enough to put away a strong Wagner team from the Northeast. Conference road games can be tricky, but the Bobcats should have an easy one this weekend.

7. Idaho (8)---Last week, bye, this week at UC-Davis---New to the conference, the Vandals took an extra week to prepare for the rigors of conference play. They will start off their conference season on the road against what is all of a sudden a formidable foe.

8. Northern Arizona (5)---Last week, lost at Missouri State (Missouri Valley) 40-8, this week Southern Utah at home---No Cookus and no Butler makes the Lumberjacks just a shell of a team, but still getting blown out by a lower tier Valley team does not bode well for conference play. More questions than answers, but they do start off in their friendly confines.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---Last week lost to Sacramento State at home 28-25, this week at Weber State---If the Bears can find a way to close out these close losses and turn them in to wins, they will be on to something. As it is, they've looked good but have nothing to show for it, with a tough game to start conference play.

10. Southern Utah (10)---Last week lost at Arizona (FBS Pac-12) 62-31, this week at Northern Arizona---The Thunderbirds also seem to have more questions than answers. Money games are tough and playing two teams from the Pac-12 was going to be a grind for anyone, but they still thought they'd be competitive (somewhat).

11. Cal Poly (12)---Last week beat Brown (Ivy) at home 44-15, this week at Eastern Washington---The Mustangs finally broke through and got a good FCS win over an Ivy League school. Whether that translate to success in the conference will soon be evident as they head out to play Eastern Washington this week.

12. Idaho State (11)---Last week lost at California (FBS Pac-12) 45-23, this week at North Dakota---The Bengals took a week off and headed up a level where they were administered a strict beatdown. Undaunted, they get to be the first team to face North Dakota as an independent.

13. Portland State (13)---Last week, beat College of Idaho (NAIA) 63-14, this week Montana State at home---So the Vikings finally won a game for the first time in almost two years. It came against a winless NAIA team but winning sure feels good heading in to conference play. Now can they get that conference win?

RECAP: 1, then 2-5, 6-7 right behind, 8-9 holding their own, 10-13 a step back.
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 9-17

Post by SACCAT »

Small Correction....Portland State is playing in Hillsboro, so technically, they are not playing at home either...It is closer to their home, but would be considered a neutral site game (there may be more Cats fans than PSU fans at the game...) ;)
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I got an issue with dropping Montana past the Manure Pile here.

1. BBQ
2. EWU
3. Griz
4. Sac
5. Manure Pile (I can't believe I actually have them this high....)
6. NAU
7. Kitties
8. Idalol
9. Cow Poly
10. UNC
11. SUU
12. PSU
13. ISU

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

SACCAT wrote:(there may be more Cats fans than PSU fans at the game...) ;)
Usually so even in Portland. Last year, the split for the Griz game was roughly 60-40 for Griz. Being that the Cats are much better than the Griz in all facets of football, I am sure the split for this weekend's game will be closer to 70% pro Cats. :lol:

:winky:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Good run down J. Not sure I would change much, maybe swap the montuckies...eh...
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

If Weber's offense can really start to gel and become a little more consistent then Weber is going to be in very good shape, especially if the defense continues to play like they did on Saturday.
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

JALMOND wrote:
Usually so even in Portland. Last year, the split for the Griz game was roughly 60-40 for Griz. Being that the Cats are much better than the Griz in all facets of football, I am sure the split for this weekend's game will be closer to 70% pro Cats. :lol:

Thanks for doing these. I always look forward to them. And accurate, knowledgeable insight like this shows why.

:thumb:
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

JALMOND wrote:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Silenoz wrote:
JALMOND wrote:

Why disparage the iconic tumbleweed like that? It’s a majestic totem of all that’s right with the West!

I don’t even know you anymore... :ohno: