clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Post by clenz »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
:ohno:
After NDSU & JMU, who would be heavy favorites to beat A&T on a neutral site?
UNI would do to A&T what they've done to Monmouth, SFA, McNeese State, EIU, etc. in the OOC portion of their schedule and playoffs the last few years.

And yes, I'd have no problem leaving JSU a head of A&T in a poll submission barring some kind of crazy performance against ECU this week

In 2016 Montana beat UNI 20-14 despite the stats looking like this

First downs
Montana 12
UNI 20

Rushing yards
Montana 88 (2 ypc)
UNI 205 (4 ypc)

Passing Yards
Montana 118 (14-30 3.9 ypa)
UNI 194 (16-38 5.1 YPA)

Total Yards
Montana 206 3.2 ypp
UNI 351 4.5 ypp

UNI had a better punt average, more inside the 20, 9 more minutes of TOP and held Montana to 4-17 on third down and 0-1 on fourth down.

The difference in the game? Montana returned a punt for a TD coupled with UNI going 6-17 on third down.

UNI was clearly the better team that day. Montana won. The better team doesn't always win - contrary to that bullshit cliche that people love.

JSU had over 400 yards of offense. The difference in the game? A kick off return for a TD....and the extreme undisciplined nature of JSU.

I'm not arguing JSU deserved to win - but it's pretty damn clear that they...as bad as they were...were the better team.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote:
dal4018 wrote: Again their pass defense is a liability their front 7 needs to get much better inspite of the win!!!!
AGS vote comes out again after this weeks games. If they beat East Carolina, they deserve to be top ten at this early point of the season.
True.
But they're not going to beat ECU. ECU will beat them by multiple scores.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
After NDSU & JMU, who would be heavy favorites to beat A&T on a neutral site?
Define "heavy".

I think 3-5 teams from BSC, MVFC, and Colonial each would be multiple score favorites. A&T looked better than I thought they would Saturday, but that was also against JSU. JSU dominated the game statistically but turned it over a bunch.

I also remember the last time A&T made it to the playoffs. The got rolled by a MASH unit of a Richmond team that lost 38-0 in the quarters that year.
Yep. I bet around a doz teams would be multiple score favorites vs NC A&T, and around 2 doz would be favored. But NC A&T will lose to ECU. If they run the table in the MEAC, they'll still be top 10 in Nov, which will be a crock.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:
Define "heavy".

I think 3-5 teams from BSC, MVFC, and Colonial each would be multiple score favorites. A&T looked better than I thought they would Saturday, but that was also against JSU. JSU dominated the game statistically but turned it over a bunch.

I also remember the last time A&T made it to the playoffs. The got rolled by a MASH unit of a Richmond team that lost 38-0 in the quarters that year.
Yep. I bet around a doz teams would be multiple score favorites vs NC A&T, and around 2 doz would be favored. But NC A&T will lose to ECU. If they run the table in the MEAC, they'll still be top 15 in Nov, which will be a crock.
I really only see 2 teams that I would bet on beating A&T by 2 scores. Sure other teams in the top 20 could beat them by multiple scores, but I would not bet on it this early in the season.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
Yep. I bet around a doz teams would be multiple score favorites vs NC A&T, and around 2 doz would be favored. But NC A&T will lose to ECU. If they run the table in the MEAC, they'll still be top 15 in Nov, which will be a crock.
I really only see 2 teams that I would bet on beating A&T by 2 scores. Sure other teams in the top 20 could beat them by multiple scores, but I would not bet on it this early in the season.
Based on what? A game where they only gained 148 total yards and were gifted 4 turnovers, 24 penalties, and 2 missed field goals? Against a typically overrated JSU?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Based on what? A game where they only gained 148 total yards and were gifted 4 turnovers, 24 penalties, and 2 missed field goals? Against a typically overrated JSU?
Would you put up $1000 in any game against a top 20 team (#3-20) to beat A&T by 2 scores? I'm sure the turnovers, penalties and missed field goals would have happened if A&T just sat on the sidelines.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
Would you put up $1000 in any game against a top 20 team (#3-20) to beat A&T by 2 scores? I'm sure the turnovers, penalties and missed field goals would have happened if A&T just sat on the sidelines.
The majority of the penalties were after the play unsportsmanlike against JSU. AT didn’t force those.

JSU muffed 2 punts. AT didn’t force those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
So now we're going from "bet" to betting $1000 and from two teams to 18 teams? :roll:

Would you bet $1,000,000 that if they played again this week, A&T would still win? Would you bet $1,000,000,000 that JSU will make it to the quarters this year?

:kisswink:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

clenz wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
The majority of the penalties were after the play unsportsmanlike against JSU. AT didn’t force those.

JSU wasn't frustrated with A&T then? A&T was in their heads.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
clenz wrote: The majority of the penalties were after the play unsportsmanlike against JSU. AT didn’t force those.

JSU wasn't frustrated with A&T then? A&T was in their heads.
As stated before SAM WASHINGTON the new HC for A&T was the ex DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR he likes to play mind games vs the opposition.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
Define "heavy".

That was 2 years ago, and it was 39-10, just to put up the right numbers. They also lost to NC Central the week prior, 42-21 in 2016. They have not lost a game since the Richmond game. A&T won the TOP, which is a key stat, at least looking at the game as a Bison fan. When the field got smaller inside the 20's, A&T gets tougher. Sloppy game, but A&T wins a lot of this type of game.
The Aggies are 40-8 since '14!!!!!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
It would take a lot for me to put up $1,000. But if you make it $50 sure. Heck, if the two teams played again this weekend I'd bet on Jacksonville State to beat A&T by 2 scores. I'd bet on Eastern Washington and Montana to do it. I'd bet on Sam Houston State and Central Arkansas to do it. I'd bet on all the teams in the CAA except for Rhode Island to do it. I'd bet on all the teams in the MVFC except Indiana State and Missouri State to do it.

I"m talking about betting a reasonable amount and feeling like I have better than a 50:50 shot at winning. There are a LOT of teams that I'd take that bet on against North Carolina A&T.

Look, they won that game. They got a special teams touchdown and were +3 in the takeaway/giveaway stat. But their offense got completely snuffed. They got 148 total yards. They were 12 of 34 throwing the ball and they, as a running team, got 37 yards rushing.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
It would take a lot for me to put up $1,000. But if you make it $50 sure. Heck, if the two teams played again this weekend I'd bet on Jacksonville State to beat A&T by 2 scores. I'd bet on Eastern Washington and Montana to do it. I'd bet on Sam Houston State and Central Arkansas to do it. I'd bet on all the teams in the CAA except for Rhode Island to do it. I'd bet on all the teams in the MVFC except Indiana State and Missouri State to do it.

I"m talking about betting a reasonable amount and feeling like I have better than a 50:50 shot at winning. There are a LOT of teams that I'd take that bet on against North Carolina A&T.

Look, they won that game. They got a special teams touchdown and were +3 in the takeaway/giveaway stat. But their offense got completely snuffed. They got 148 total yards. They were 12 of 34 throwing the ball and they, as a running team, got 37 yards rushing.
Add a FBS win to the A&T resume this year. They are not the same as the MEAC schools that have been losing playoff games the ladt 20 year or more.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
So now we're going from "bet" to betting $1000 and from two teams to 18 teams? :roll:

Would you bet $1,000,000 that if they played again this week, A&T would still win? Would you bet $1,000,000,000 that JSU will make it to the quarters this year?

:kisswink:

Money talks, bullshit walks!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Add a FBS win to the A&T resume this year. They are not the same as the MEAC schools that have been losing playoff games the ladt 20 year or more.
They have a better coaching staff to me now I want to see what they do this season?????
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

BDKJMU wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
AGS vote comes out again after this weeks games. If they beat East Carolina, they deserve to be top ten at this early point of the season.
True.
Unfortunately the game was cancelled.
Last edited by dal4018 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

BDKJMU wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
True.
Surprise the Aggies pulled off the upset over the Pirates winning the game 28-23 I hope that FRANKLIN MC CAIN played better against them than he did vs Jacksonville St as stated before he is their star on defense and he was exposed as a liability on deep passes.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: True.
Surprise the Aggies pulled off the upset over the Pirates winning the game 28-23 I hope that FRANKLIN MC CAIN played better against them than he did vs Jacksonville St as stated before he is their star on defense and he was exposed as a liability on deep passes.
This NCAT is better than the other good MEAC teams that bombed in the playoffs the last 20 years.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
True.
A&T are better than people think. They are a lot better than the MEAC teams we've seen in the past.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
dal4018 wrote: Surprise the Aggies pulled off the upset over the Pirates winning the game 28-23 I hope that FRANKLIN MC CAIN played better against them than he did vs Jacksonville St as stated before he is their star on defense and he was exposed as a liability on deep passes.
This NCAT is better than the other good MEAC teams that bombed in the playoffs the last 20 years.
Yes they are as stated before the Aggies pulled off the upset beating the ECU Pirates 28-23!!!!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: True.
A&T are better than people think. They are a lot better than the MEAC teams we've seen in the past.
As stated before the Aggies they pulled off the upset they should move into the top 25 after this win over ECU.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
As stated before the Aggies they pulled off the upset they should move into the top 25 after this win over ECU.
Probably be top 10. Their resume looks good, beating a top 10 FCS team and an FBS win. Does anyone else have that on their resume this year?
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:
Define "heavy".

Yep. I bet around a doz teams would be multiple score favorites vs NC A&T, and around 2 doz would be favored. But NC A&T will lose to ECU. If they run the table in the MEAC, they'll still be top 10 in Nov, which will be a crock.
Well its official the Aggies are currently ranked 7th nationally after that upset win over East Carolina and star DB FRANKLIN MC CAIN made Major contribution with a FCS RECORD 109 INT RETURN TD that definitely made up for his poor performance vs Jacksonville St last week.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
dal4018 wrote: Surprise the Aggies pulled off the upset over the Pirates winning the game 28-23 I hope that FRANKLIN MC CAIN played better against them than he did vs Jacksonville St as stated before he is their star on defense and he was exposed as a liability on deep passes.
:blah:
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

The Aggies play Gardner Webb tonight at 6:00 this could be a TRAP GAME??????