Climate Change Beyond Reversal

Political discussions
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Climate Change Beyond Reversal

Post by Gil Dobie »

It's becoming pretty evident to me, that man will not be able to stop climate change enough to stop the sea level rise. Even the Angry Millennials won't be able to stop or reverse climate change. Might be a good time to start planning population shifts for the new sea levels, dealing with the new heat waves etc.

Hot House Link

"Human emissions of greenhouse gas are not the sole determinant of temperature on Earth. Our study suggests that human-induced global warming of 2°C may trigger other Earth system processes, often called 'feedbacks,' that can drive further warming -- even if we stop emitting greenhouse gases," lead author Will Steffen of the Australian National University said.

bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Re: Climate Change Beyond Reversal

Post by bluehenbillk »

According to this 93henfan will need to move.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

bluehenbillk wrote:According to this 93henfan will need to move.
And he said his recent Midwest trip was a vacation, hmmmm!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I’ll be dead way before any of this happens. The biggest concern for SLD in my time would be a La Palma tsunami scenario, but scientists are now saying that’s overblown.

An Atlantic tsunami angled up the mouth of Delaware Bay would pretty much wipe us off the map though, regardless of the trigger. It’d push trillions of gallons of ocean water into a shallow bay with nowhere for it to go but over low land. We’re at about 15 ft above sea level with no elevation features between us and the bay, so see ya. Same with Florida.

And we’d get no airtime whatsoever because of NYC, whose harbor is angled ESE as well. They’re the squeaky wheel.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
I’ll be dead way before any of this happens. The biggest concern for SLD in my time would be a La Palma tsunami scenario, but scientists are now saying that’s overblown.

An Atlantic tsunami angled up the mouth of Delaware Bay would pretty much wipe us off the map though, regardless of the trigger. It’d push trillions of gallons of ocean water into a shallow bay with nowhere for it to go but over low land. We’re at about 15 ft above sea level with no elevation features between us and the bay, so see ya. Same with Florida.

And we’d get no airtime whatsoever because of NYC, whose harbor is angled ESE as well. They’re the squeaky wheel.
Look on the bright side, 93. Maybe the tsunami will imitate Sandy by shifting at the last minute, and wipe out NJ. :nod:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:It's becoming pretty evident to me, that man will not be able to stop climate change enough to stop the sea level rise. Even the Angry Millennials won't be able to stop or reverse climate change. Might be a good time to start planning population shifts for the new sea levels, dealing with the new heat waves etc.

Hot House Link

"Human emissions of greenhouse gas are not the sole determinant of temperature on Earth. Our study suggests that human-induced global warming of 2°C may trigger other Earth system processes, often called 'feedbacks,' that can drive further warming -- even if we stop emitting greenhouse gases," lead author Will Steffen of the Australian National University said.

That's some ECB shit right there. :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Cool. Lots of real state possibility's there. Death Valley will once again be a inland sea.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:lead author Will Steffen of the Australian National University said
He was the same guy who predicted major catastrophe from Y2K. :coffee:
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

The ocean aint going to rise 500' I'm safe. So is the good side of Maryland. That map is BS.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:lead author Will Steffen of the Australian National University said
I'm confused...
are those maps 60 Meters of sea level rise
Jeezus thats 200 feet !!!

What a ridiculous example

:dunce:

I'm with 89 hen on this one
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Do you have a link, can't find that info on google?
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: He was the same guy who predicted major catastrophe from Y2K. :coffee:
Do you have a like, can't find that info on google?
phpBB [video]
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Chizzang wrote:
89Hen wrote: He was the same guy who predicted major catastrophe from Y2K. :coffee:
I'm confused...

First off, it would take quite a few years for this to happen, hundreds or thousands of years. Second, from what I've read, if all the ice melted on the planet, the sea level would rise about 216 feet. Third, 89hen was able to baffle you with his BS again.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

andy7171 wrote:The ocean aint going to rise 500' I'm safe. So is the good side of Maryland. That map is BS.
What is BS about the map? Looks pretty accurate for a 60 meter sea level rise. Whether it rises 60 meters, or not is another story.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

At least it takes SF out, they have been saying this crap forever,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

See to me when people put out stuff like this they get branded as unreasonable. To me there should be a reasonable concern about effects on the climate while recognizing that there is a lot of uncertainty. But stuff like saying there "could" be a 60 m sea level rise, etc. is kind of going over the top.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:It's becoming pretty evident to me, that man will not be able to stop climate change enough to stop the sea level rise. Even the Angry Millennials won't be able to stop or reverse climate change. Might be a good time to start planning population shifts for the new sea levels, dealing with the new heat waves etc.

Hot House Link

That's some ECB shit right there. :lol: :lol:
Not to mention North America ends at the 46th parallel.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
I'm confused...

You beat me to it

Even the most hysterical climate change predictions haven't gone that fully retard

We'll be terraforming Mars before we see a 60 meter rise
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
I'm confused...

You beat me to it

Even the most hysterical climate change predictions haven't gone that fully retard

60 meters isn't that unrealistic. And there may already be large populations on Mars when/if we see a 60 meter rise in sea level. If it happens, it will be over hundreds or thousands of years. The sea level is 5-8 inches higher than it was in 1900, and it's over 400 feet higher than it was about 20,000 years ago.

Smithsonian Link

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
You beat me to it

60 meters isn't that unrealistic. And there may already be large populations on Mars when/if we see a 60 meter rise in sea level. If it happens, it will be over hundreds or thousands of years. The sea level is 5-8 inches higher than it was in 1900, and it's over 400 feet higher than it was about 20,000 years ago.

Smithsonian Link

20,000 years is a very short time. Another example of how quickly things can change came from a lecture I went to given by local naturalist and historian, Jack Nesbitt. According to Jack, the hills surrounding Priest Lake Idaho had sage brush growing on them just 2000 years ago. Even if they were mixed sage brush and forest that's quite a bit of change in a short time

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote:

We had the super-derecho of '09 and nobody knew about it without any other competing disasters
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

houndawg wrote:
93henfan wrote:

We had the super-derecho of '09 and nobody knew about it without any other competing disasters
Living in BFE ain't easy.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Winterborn wrote:Cool. Lots of real state possibility's there. Death Valley will once again be a inland sea.
And Houndawg Hill will be about a half hour from the ocean :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Living in BFE ain't easy.
But we don't require the constant attention of our less hardy eastern varieties.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:The sea level is 5-8 inches higher than it was in 1900, and it's over 400 feet higher than it was about 20,000 years ago.
Wait a minute, I'm calling bullshit. You mean to tell me that the Earth warmed without industrialized man? You're crazy Gil.