So, the abortion issue is now back in the limelight...

Political discussions
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: So, the abortion issue is now back in the limelight...

Post by Silenoz »

Irony
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Silenoz wrote:Irony
Nothing ironic. People, politically and personally, have been shrugging off awful ideas for way too long. "Well logic will win out," they say. "If we play nice, we can work out an agreement," they say.

But it's reached a dangerous point because logic isn't winning out and those in power don't give a shit about working out agreements. And there's a sect of the population rabidly cheering it on.

So what's happening? People's rights are being trampled. The separation of Church and State is being trampled. Human compassion is being trampled. And we're creating a society regressing instead of sailing forward. It's time to fight fire with water and completely put the bullshit out.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

:lol:

This.

:notworthy:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

I'm waiting for Trip to throw out the "I was joking, suckers" post. But I don't think it's coming.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Nothing ironic. People, politically and personally, have been shrugging off awful ideas for way too long. "Well logic will win out," they say. "If we play nice, we can work out an agreement," they say.

But it's reached a dangerous point because logic isn't winning out and those in power don't give a shit about working out agreements. And there's a sect of the population rabidly cheering it on.

So what's happening? People's rights are being trampled. The separation of Church and State is being trampled. Human compassion is being trampled. And we're creating a society regressing instead of sailing forward. It's time to fight fire with water and completely put the bullshit out.
What do they call that, throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

Yeah, trying to unify the left under increasingly extreme "you must think this one way" ideologies is working out so well for you guys. You should double down on abortion, regardless of any further advances in science.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

andy7171 wrote:I'm waiting for Trip to throw out the "I was joking, suckers" post. But I don't think it's coming.
I've been debating if Trip has been trolling lately because of some of his posts. His flippant post on the fetus picture looks like a troll post. But then the follow up post confirms that he's serious and not trolling.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Trip, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. 89 has a different opinion and he is just as entitled to it. 89 makes a simple and logical argument that we don't really know where to draw the line on the timing of when the developing child becomes a person so let's protect the developing child's interest and rights and not allow abortions. You argue for protecting the mother's interests and rights. To believe that your opinion is absolutely right and others aren't is extremely myopic.

89's religious upbringing might have informed his opinions but they do not define them (as evidenced by his position on birth control and priest's marrying).
When an opinion is as extreme as his is trying to masquerade as logic, it's absolutely wrong. I'm not playing niceties with people if their bullshit opinions end up trampling actual logic and compassion.

89's opinion is frankly disgusting. And apathetic. And borderline sadistic.
Is 89's opinion extreme? Is his compassion toward an unborn child wrong and your compassion toward a mother-to-be right? Or do they both have some merit?

Philosophically, my opinion is consistent with Ganny and 93's which I believe is a practical approach to abortion. But I wonder what if my practical approach is morally wrong. What if it is wrong to unnaturally end that life? Despite your passion and confidence, there is no absolutely correct answer to that question at this time.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

If that was your kid in that picture, how would you feel?

I'd be haunted for life
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

Silenoz wrote:If that was your kid in that picture, how would you feel?

I'd be haunted for life
I'm not even sure he can think that far ahead.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:

What you view as "logic" 74% of Americas view as "full retard". :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote:
andy7171 wrote:I'm waiting for Trip to throw out the "I was joking, suckers" post. But I don't think it's coming.
I've been debating if Trip has been trolling lately because of some of his posts. His flippant post on the fetus picture looks like a troll post. But then the follow up post confirms that he's serious and not trolling.
He's serious as a heart attack. And dumb as a post.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

So, the abortion issue is now back in the limelight...

Post by andy7171 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:
He's serious as a heart attack. And dumb as a post.
What he said destroyed PFLs crotch fruit comment. How can someone be so confidently thoughtless and noncompassionate? To choose a teen-twenty something females freedom over an innocent life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:
Did you see the list of atheist’s posts I put up? That was just the first few from a quick Google search...

Yes, We Catholics tend to be drivers in the anti-abortion movement...but we by no way are the preponderance of the movements membership...

It’s a moral issue much, much more than a religious issue..
I maintain that Trip is correct on the religious aspect though. It's both moral (obviously), but also hugely a religious push by the Catholic church. Go walk down the line of idiots outside Planned Parenthood trying to further mentally wreck the women who had to make the excruciating decision to go there. I'd bet you any amount that they are AT LEAST 75% Catholics.
Northeast & west coast maybe. In the south I bet there are way more Baptist than Catholics protesting..Midwest not sure..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Want to cross the border illegally? Get arrested.

Don't want to get arrested and have your child taken away? don't cross the border illegally.
Detain them? Sure. Send them back? With due process.

Take children away from mothers and fathers? You've lost your humanity.

Compassion is in low supply on this board.
Don't want to get separated from your children. Don't commit a crime. Commit a crime, get arrested and separated from your children. You still get due process. See how easy that is?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote:

But it's reached a dangerous point because logic isn't winning out and those in power don't give a **** about working out agreements. And there's a sect of the population rabidly cheering it on.

And your attitude is a primary example of why Trump got elected, and will get re elected. Congrats. :clap:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Nothing ironic. People, politically and personally, have been shrugging off awful ideas for way too long. "Well logic will win out," they say. "If we play nice, we can work out an agreement," they say.

But it's reached a dangerous point because logic isn't winning out and those in power don't give a **** about working out agreements. And there's a sect of the population rabidly cheering it on.

And your attitude is a primary example of why Trump got elected, and will get re elected. Congrats. :clap:
That ANYBODY could play the "human compassion" card when they can turn around and so carelessly snuff the life of an innocent child is just DRIPPING with irony.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Nothing ironic. People, politically and personally, have been shrugging off awful ideas for way too long. "Well logic will win out," they say. "If we play nice, we can work out an agreement," they say.

Whether Trump gets re elected or not depends on whether the Democrats can come up with a decent candidate. If Obama could run against him, for instance, he'd blow Trump out. But he can't. Regardless, whether Trump wins in 2020 or not the underlying trends are all in favor of the Democrats. The Republicans should enjoy whatever time they have because it's not going to be long in historical terms.

And Trump is not a strong candidate. I was looking at stuff about that today in some of the key States. As I've noted before he got a lower percentage of the popular vote than Romney did. He didn't reach 50% of the vote in Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin. I can give you the specifics if you want but in those States it was much more a matter of Democrat doing worse and people going "third Party" than it was the Republican doing better. In Wisconsin Trump actually got fewer votes in 2016 (1,405,284) in absolute terms than Romney got in 2012 (1,410,966).

There was no big popular movement where suddenly the electorate turned more Republican. It was just a matter of having a Democrat candidate who was wounded by an FBI investigation and everything associated that along with the Russians implementing a campaign to sew discord and disunity within Democrat constituencies.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JSO :blah: :blah: :blah:

Sure, Trump didn’t get 50% in those places, but neither did Cunton.

You dismiss the third parties, but they certainly impacted the final counts in the popular vote.

Cunton got 2.8 million more votes than Trump, but the Libertarian/Independent/Constitution parties (most likely landing spots for Never-Trump conservatives) got 5.4 million votes. You can counter that the Greens siphoned the Never-Hillary votes, but they only got 1.5 million votes.

Despite all your table-pounding, the popular vote still landed right of center. Deal with it.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Now my vote is being lumped in with Trump votes? No thanks...
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Now my vote is being lumped in with Trump votes? No thanks...
And you voted for whom, exactly? You sure ain’t no Libertarian.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Gary Johnson.

And, I'm closer to Gary Johnson than Clinton, imo. But, maybe you can tell me who to vote for next time. :thumb:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:It's archaic to admit I don't know when a baby becomes a person so we should err on the side of caution? What exactly about that is archaic? Or did you just throw out a word hoping it would stick?
The err on the side of caution argument is a good one but I love how Conks and Donks both use it when it suits them and ignore or dismiss it when it doesn't. Climate change is a good example (not apple to apples but comparable so don't go comparing my analogies to Z's ;) ). Are we absolutely certain the humans are contributing to climate change? No. Can we reasonably assume that humans are contributing to climate change? Yes. Well then shouldn't we err on the side of caution and do something to lessen the impact?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:It's archaic to admit I don't know when a baby becomes a person so we should err on the side of caution? What exactly about that is archaic? Or did you just throw out a word hoping it would stick?
My Zoology degree says life begins at conception. I don't support ending a life, unless under extenuating circumstances. That being said, IMO, abortion should be a private choice, with no legal repercussions to the involved individuals that chose to end a life in this manner. I doubt the law will change.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
My Zoology degree says life begins at conception. I don't support ending a life, unless under extenuating circumstances. That being said, IMO, abortion should be a private choice, with no legal repercussions to the involved individuals that chose to end a life in this manner. I doubt the law will change.
You radical!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Gil Dobie wrote:My Zoology degree says life begins at conception. I don't support ending a life, unless under extenuating circumstances. That being said, IMO, abortion should be a private choice, with no legal repercussions to the involved individuals that chose to end a life in this manner. I doubt the law will change.
This is a sensible position.

I have nothing against those which have a core belief that life begins at conception, or try to sway women into keeping the fetus into birth. When you start wanting to take away the right to abortions and punishing them for it, that's where things get ugly.