Total votes: 19

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

What's More Important To You?

Post by CAA Flagship »

What's more important to you, a majority in Congress plus POTUS, or a majority in the SCOTUS?
This boils down to, in very simple terms, lawmaking vs. law interpreting. I know it's not that simple but you will have to factor in the variables.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Re: What's More Important To You?

Post by Chizzang »

The problem here is the assumption...
That any of them are worthy of the offices they hold...
two thirds of them are completely worthless (period)

None of them are going to fix any REAL PROBLEMS
This is like a fashion window dressing poll - Lavender or Burnt Umber - the agony

:coffee:
Last edited by Chizzang on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:The problem here is the assumption...
two thirds of them are completely worthless regardless of which side they sit on politically

None of them are going to fix any of this countries REAL PROBLEMS
This is like a fashion window dressing poll - Lavender or Burnt Umber - the agony

OK. Go from a theoretical standpoint. The way the system is designed.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote:The problem here is the assumption...
two thirds of them are completely worthless regardless of which side they sit on politically

None of them are going to fix any of this countries REAL PROBLEMS

OK. Go from a theoretical standpoint. The way the system is designed.
Can I appoint my children and my friends..?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: OK. Go from a theoretical standpoint. The way the system is designed.
You have zero of each, so YES.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

This is an immediate vs long term gratification issue.

And since I’m undiagnosed ADD, I SAY POTUS PLUS COTUS!!!!

ALSO COITUS!!!!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:This is an immediate vs long term gratification issue.

And since I’m undiagnosed ADD, I SAY POTUS PLUS COTUS!!!!

ALSO COITUS!!!!
Holla!!!!

Why are you yelling?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
*Zing..!!!

:ohno:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
KAPOW
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

BOOM goes the dynamite. My preference would be all 3,but because that is not the question, would have to go with an effective POTUS and Congress.keyword is effective, not the indecisive Congress we have now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

I didn't vote, but I will complain :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: where's pee in the butt?
Proletarians of the world, unite!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

If you have the majority in both Houses of Congress, the Presidency, and sufficient will you can control the majority of the Supreme Court. That's especially true in today's environment where both parties have made it clear that they will slap the filibuster out of the way to get what they want. If a Party has a one vote majority in the House, a one vote majority in the Senate, and the Presidency it can simply increase the number of Justices on the Supreme Court to whatever level it has to to pack the Court. And I think even somebody as old as me (60) may live to see that now.

When the Democrats gain control...and I don't think there's any question that that's going to happen unless there are some really dramatic changes to trends that have been in place for over 40 years...I don't think they are going to accept a "conservative" majority Supreme Court. And they will have the power to change the situation.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: You have zero of each, so YES.
*Zing..!!!

:ohno:
:rofl:

Buck up! There’s no finer skin on CS than getting an oh no from Chizzang! :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

I voted for POTUS + Congress on the chicken/egg theory. Unless you have this, you can’t have the potential to affect SCOTUS.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:If you have the majority in both Houses of Congress, the Presidency, and sufficient will you can control the majority of the Supreme Court. That's especially true in today's environment where both parties have made it clear that they will slap the filibuster out of the way to get what they want. If a Party has a one vote majority in the House, a one vote majority in the Senate, and the Presidency it can simply increase the number of Justices on the Supreme Court to whatever level it has to to pack the Court. And I think even somebody as old as me (60) may live to see that now.

When the Democrats gain control...and I don't think there's any question that that's going to happen unless there are some really dramatic changes to trends that have been in place for over 40 years...I don't think they are going to accept a "conservative" majority Supreme Court. And they will have the power to change the situation.
Your OCD is off the charts. Court packing will never happen for political reasons.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:If you have the majority in both Houses of Congress, the Presidency, and sufficient will you can control the majority of the Supreme Court. That's especially true in today's environment where both parties have made it clear that they will slap the filibuster out of the way to get what they want. If a Party has a one vote majority in the House, a one vote majority in the Senate, and the Presidency it can simply increase the number of Justices on the Supreme Court to whatever level it has to to pack the Court. And I think even somebody as old as me (60) may live to see that now.

Why do you repeat the same nonsense over and over and over?
NUMEROUS years a party has had the POTUS and control of both houses since 1869 (when SCOTUS was set at 9), a SCOTUS makeup not to their liking, and SCOTUS has stayed at 9. Not even FDR changed it, and he threatened to. Not a single donk or conk POTUS has since. Not gonna happen.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Rob Iola wrote:I didn't vote, but I will complain :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: where's pee in the butt?
:lol: I actually typed it in but deleted it because I really wanted to see how this vote would go.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ivytalk wrote:I voted for POTUS + Congress on the chicken/egg theory. Unless you have this, you can’t have the potential to affect SCOTUS.
There is no caveat in this where you can't have both in favor of your leaning. The question is what is more important to you. Essentially, which one has a greater impact on your life?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:I voted for POTUS + Congress on the chicken/egg theory. Unless you have this, you can’t have the potential to affect SCOTUS.
There is no caveat in this where you can't have both in favor of your leaning. The question is what is more important to you. Essentially, which one has a greater impact on your life?
I’m not sure either has had much impact on my life so...pee in the butt?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote:

Why do you repeat the same nonsense over and over and over?
NUMEROUS years a party has had the POTUS and control of both houses since 1869 (when SCOTUS was set at 9), a SCOTUS makeup not to their liking, and SCOTUS has stayed at 9. Not even FDR changed it, and he threatened to. Not a single donk or conk POTUS has since. Not gonna happen.
The rules have changed. 10 years ago nobody would have gotten rid of the filibuster to get federal judges in general confirmed but the Democrats changed that. 10 years ago nobody would've gotten rid of the filibuster to get a Supreme Court Justice on but the Republicans changed that. If they can do it, I think they will do it. And a time will come when they can do it.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:

Your OCD is off the charts. Court packing will never happen for political reasons.
I think it WILL happen for political reasons. What is the downside, politically, for Democrats if they gain power and do it? Again: The demographic trends are in their favor. The groups that might object to them doing it are shrinking in terms of proportions of the population. Their supporters are really pissed off right now by the fact that a minority controls the government. When they gain control it's going to be pitchforks time. Their supporters are going to want blood. Figuratively, of course.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

It used to be that the filibuster kind of kept a buffer on things. It used to be that each side went along with the idea that they had to have at least 60 votes in the Senate to get things done. But that buffer has obviously been severely compromised at this point. Things have changed. The Democrats started it then the Republicans put the nail in by eliminating the filibuster in order to get Gorsich in. I can't believe any of you guys think that the Democrats won't do whatever they have to do to nix whatever Supreme Court advantage the Republicans get when they inevitably gain control of the Executive and Legislative branches.
Could I ever be a star?

css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Why do you repeat the same nonsense over and over and over?
The rules have changed. 10 years ago nobody would have gotten rid of the filibuster to get federal judges in general confirmed but the Democrats changed that. 10 years ago nobody would've gotten rid of the filibuster to get a Supreme Court Justice on but the Republicans changed that. If they can do it, I think they will do it. And a time will come when they can do it.

Just send a thank you card to Harry Reid, somewhere in Nevada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Your OCD is off the charts. Court packing will never happen for political reasons.
I think it WILL happen for political reasons. What is the downside, politically, for Democrats if they gain power and do it? Again: The demographic trends are in their favor. The groups that might object to them doing it are shrinking in terms of proportions of the population. Their supporters are really pissed off right now by the fact that a minority controls the government. When they gain control it's going to be pitchforks time. Their supporters are going to want blood. Figuratively, of course.
Ivy is right. It won't happen for political reasons. Its not just conks who would be universally against it- most independents would too, and even some donks. They would have to have the POTUS and a super super majority in Congress to do that, because not all donks in Congress would vote for it. And if it ever got to that point, before it did, the donks would have already had the opportunity to nominate & confirm several SCOTUS justices into the 9 member court we have now, thereby negating the need for your court packing dream.
But you go right ahead and keep believing the court packing nonsense if it makes you feel better. Anything to help relieve your TDS is probably good for you.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Your OCD is off the charts. Court packing will never happen for political reasons.
Is this a serious question?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17