Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Delaware Assault Weapons Ban

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Which is exactly what you'll do when the militia requires your service. :coffee:

Since you're too old to serve in a militia you have no right to keep and bear arms. Unless you meant bare arms. Those you definitely got a right to even if you are no longer militia material. :coffee:
Says the old guy who can’t get out of his rocker.

I’ll keep AND bear arms, thanks tho.
I ride a lion into town and use a rattlesnake whip... :grizo1:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Says the old guy who can’t get out of his rocker.

I’ll keep AND bear arms, thanks tho.
:lol: :suspicious:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
:lol: :suspicious:
Illinois folk like to make grand entrances.

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

YAAS!!! Big setback for the “Assault” Weapons Ban in Delaware this afternoon. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Today, the Senate Judicial and Community Affairs Committee voted 3-2 to defeat radical gun ban measure, Senate Bill 163. Introduced as Senate Bill 163 and pushed by Governor Carney, this anti-gun legislation sought to ban semi-automatic firearms commonly-owned for self-defense, target shooting and hunting. While this is an important step in the ultimate defeat of SB 163, this legislation will remain alive in the legislature until the end of session on June 30. NRA members must stay vigilant in their opposition to gun control this session.
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018060 ... -committee
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

93henfan wrote:YAAS!!! Big setback for the “Assault” Weapons Ban in Delaware this afternoon. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Today, the Senate Judicial and Community Affairs Committee voted 3-2 to defeat radical gun ban measure, Senate Bill 163. Introduced as Senate Bill 163 and pushed by Governor Carney, this anti-gun legislation sought to ban semi-automatic firearms commonly-owned for self-defense, target shooting and hunting. While this is an important step in the ultimate defeat of SB 163, this legislation will remain alive in the legislature until the end of session on June 30. NRA members must stay vigilant in their opposition to gun control this session.
One small step forward for the law abiding citizens of Delaware !!! :clap:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Col Hogan wrote:
93henfan wrote:YAAS!!! Big setback for the “Assault” Weapons Ban in Delaware this afternoon. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Our State Senate is composed of 21 Senators; 11 Democrats and 10 Republicans. Two are pivotal in this matter. The first is Senator Bruce Ennis (D), retired DE State Trooper, of District 14, which I like to call the DMZ - home of Sambo's. It's the district separating Slower DE from the upstate horde (see pic at bottom of thread). He is the only Democrat against. Now, that should make it an 11-10 majority, right? Not so easy. One Republican, Greg Lavelle, is the Senator for District 4. It's as upstate as it gets, but is a 50/50 district with a lot of affluence. Lavelle is really feeing the heat on this one from both sides. I've explained earlier in the thread that this is a no-win for the man and we could only hope he voted his conscience, and he did!

Here's the word today from the man who made the difference. He actually invokes our, GASP, State Constitution. God bless him:
After months of listening to constituents, and following today’s hearing, I decided not to release SB 163 from committee. As we heard repeatedly today, this piece of legislation clearly violates Article 1, Section 20 of the Delaware Constitution. Unlike many on the other side of the aisle, I consider the Constitution the first hurdle any piece of legislation must get over, and this bill clearly fails that test. There are firearms listed in this legislation that are used for the defense of home, for hunting and for recreation. All of those uses are constitutionally guaranteed.

In addition, Senator Townsend testified in the committee hearing that as of today, there is no agreed-upon method by which legal gun owners would prove that they owned firearms prior to the implementation of the law. Legislation of this magnitude is too important to not be fully fleshed out prior to passage. The idea that we would figure it out over the next few months is woefully inadequate.

Additionally, it should be made clear that today’s outcome – the failure of SB 163 to pass out of committee – was the preferred and designed outcome of the Senate Democrats. Senator McBride and his leadership team never wanted this bill to see the floor, and they want to pin its demise on me for political gain in an election year. Senator McBride could have assigned this bill to any committee – including his own Executive committee. He did not. He chose this outcome so he and his caucus would not have to face a vote on the floor in the face of significant citizen opposition.

I have voted for and/or sponsored many pieces of sensible firearm legislation, including legislation to ban bump stocks, legislation to increase penalties for gun crimes and straw purchases, and the Beau Biden Gun Violence Act. I believe that our schools should increase their security measures in order to reduce the possibility of a tragic event like we have seen elsewhere this year. But as Maryland and others have learned, no amount of gun legislation will prevent a determined individual with evil in their hearts from acting on those impulses.

I believe we have taken great strides forward this session in keeping Delawareans safe. I look forward to working with my fellow legislators and the Governor to take additional steps this year, specifically in the area of school safety. And I believe we can do all of that while following our Constitution.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:
Our State Senate is composed of 21 Senators; 11 Democrats and 10 Republicans. Two are pivotal in this matter. The first is Senator Bruce Ennis (D), retired DE State Trooper, of District 14, which I like to call the DMZ - home of Sambo's. It's the district separating Slower DE from the upstate horde (see pic at bottom of thread). He is the only Democrat against. Now, that should make it an 11-10 majority, right? Not so easy. One Republican, Greg Lavelle, is the Senator for District 4. It's as upstate as it gets, but is a 50/50 district with a lot of affluence. Lavelle is really feeing the heat on this one from both sides. I've explained earlier in the thread that this is a no-win for the man and we could only hope he voted his conscience, and he did!

Here's the word today from the man who made the difference. He actually invokes our, GASP, State Constitution. God bless him:
After months of listening to constituents, and following today’s hearing, I decided not to release SB 163 from committee. As we heard repeatedly today, this piece of legislation clearly violates Article 1, Section 20 of the Delaware Constitution. Unlike many on the other side of the aisle, I consider the Constitution the first hurdle any piece of legislation must get over, and this bill clearly fails that test. There are firearms listed in this legislation that are used for the defense of home, for hunting and for recreation. All of those uses are constitutionally guaranteed.

In addition, Senator Townsend testified in the committee hearing that as of today, there is no agreed-upon method by which legal gun owners would prove that they owned firearms prior to the implementation of the law. Legislation of this magnitude is too important to not be fully fleshed out prior to passage. The idea that we would figure it out over the next few months is woefully inadequate.

Additionally, it should be made clear that today’s outcome – the failure of SB 163 to pass out of committee – was the preferred and designed outcome of the Senate Democrats. Senator McBride and his leadership team never wanted this bill to see the floor, and they want to pin its demise on me for political gain in an election year. Senator McBride could have assigned this bill to any committee – including his own Executive committee. He did not. He chose this outcome so he and his caucus would not have to face a vote on the floor in the face of significant citizen opposition.

I have voted for and/or sponsored many pieces of sensible firearm legislation, including legislation to ban bump stocks, legislation to increase penalties for gun crimes and straw purchases, and the Beau Biden Gun Violence Act. I believe that our schools should increase their security measures in order to reduce the possibility of a tragic event like we have seen elsewhere this year. But as Maryland and others have learned, no amount of gun legislation will prevent a determined individual with evil in their hearts from acting on those impulses.

I believe we have taken great strides forward this session in keeping Delawareans safe. I look forward to working with my fellow legislators and the Governor to take additional steps this year, specifically in the area of school safety. And I believe we can do all of that while following our Constitution.
Lavelle is my state Senator ( we still have a Wilmington house, and we still vote there). Good, thoughtful guy. The Donks have been targeting him for years. The last Donk to hold that district was a crazy doctor who, thankfully, got beat after one undistinguished term.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Here we go. Tuesday is the moment of truth. Democrats suspend rules to bring the AWB up for a vote:
...Senate Bill 163 didn't pass out of committee, and therefore traditionally wouldn't make its way to the Senate floor.

But Thursday in a floor speech, Senate President Pro Tempore David McBride (D-Hawk's Nest) said since there's a great deal of public interest in the bill, he'll suspend the rules so the measure can be brought up for a full vote on Tuesday, June 19, 2018...
https://www.wdel.com/news/ban-on-assaul ... 8c6eb.html

The bill is clearly unconstitutional and will get shot down by the Delaware Supreme Court should it pass.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Delaware Bump Stock Ban passes and Governor signs into law.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:Here we go. Tuesday is the moment of truth. Democrats suspend rules to bring the AWB up for a vote:
...Senate Bill 163 didn't pass out of committee, and therefore traditionally wouldn't make its way to the Senate floor.

But Thursday in a floor speech, Senate President Pro Tempore David McBride (D-Hawk's Nest) said since there's a great deal of public interest in the bill, he'll suspend the rules so the measure can be brought up for a full vote on Tuesday, June 19, 2018...
https://www.wdel.com/news/ban-on-assaul ... 8c6eb.html

The bill is clearly unconstitutional and will get shot down by the Delaware Supreme Court should it pass.
With Chief Justice Leo Fvcking Strine? Don’t count on the same result as the Bridgeville Gun Club case. :twocents:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

YAAS, BITCH, YAAS!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Long live Article I, §20 of the Delaware Constitution! It’s the only thing that keeps us from being MD, NJ, NY, IL, CA etc.
An effort to revive a proposed ban on the sale of assault weapons failed in the Delaware Senate on Tuesday, effectively defeating the most controversial gun control measure pending before the Legislature.

Two Democrats sided with Republicans in opposing the maneuver, including Sen. Brian Bushweller of Dover and Sen. Bruce Ennis, D-Smyrna. That left Democrats two votes short of the 11 needed to bring the measure to the floor...

Second Amendment advocates – many of whom filled the Senate chamber for Tuesday's vote – also have vowed to use Tuesday's vote to as a lever to unseat Democrats.

That posturing is indicative of the animosity surrounding the legislation that state Sen. Bryan Townsend, D-Newark, introduced March at Carney's urging...
https://www.delawareonline.com/story/ne ... 713255002/
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

93henfan wrote:YAAS, BITCH, YAAS!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Long live Article I, §20 of the Delaware Constitution! It’s the only thing that keeps us from being MD, NJ, NY, IL, CA etc.
An effort to revive a proposed ban on the sale of assault weapons failed in the Delaware Senate on Tuesday, effectively defeating the most controversial gun control measure pending before the Legislature.

Two Democrats sided with Republicans in opposing the maneuver, including Sen. Brian Bushweller of Dover and Sen. Bruce Ennis, D-Smyrna. That left Democrats two votes short of the 11 needed to bring the measure to the floor...

Second Amendment advocates – many of whom filled the Senate chamber for Tuesday's vote – also have vowed to use Tuesday's vote to as a lever to unseat Democrats.

That posturing is indicative of the animosity surrounding the legislation that state Sen. Bryan Townsend, D-Newark, introduced March at Carney's urging...
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:YAAS, BITCH, YAAS!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Bryan Townsend sees himself as POTUS material. I know the guy. He’s like a white Obama: book-smart, but clueless.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

:thumb: :clap:
Does this put the breaks on the compound in WV for retirement? (I was figuring not because the defeat of the bill is probably more like a decade or so reprieve before the gun grabbers get their way)..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BDKJMU wrote:

:thumb: :clap:
Does this put the breaks on the compound in WV for retirement? (I was figuring not because the defeat of the bill is probably more like a decade or so reprieve before the gun grabbers get their way)..
No, it changes nothing for retirement because Delaware already prohibits SBRs and suppressors. I can Class III everything in WV and I will. In addition, nowhere in Delaware would tolerate the range I will build.

You are correct that Delaware is going hopelessly blue with each passing year, so the coming congestion and taxes make it an undesirable place for my retirement, regardless of firearm legislation.

That being said, Delaware has a strongly worded right to keep and bear in its Bill of Rights. Not many states cover not only self defense, but also hunting and recreation as three purposes for having firearms. That’s some Idaho/Montana type shit!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Maybe Lavelle will survive, since two Donks (not just 1) voted against the assault weapons bill (Ennis and Bushweller, who is leaving the GA anyway).
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:Maybe Lavelle will survive, since two Donks (not just 1) voted against the assault weapons bill (Ennis and Bushweller, who is leaving the GA anyway).
Bump.

Lavelle lost in November. The gun grabbers now have the votes: Dem House, Dem Senate, Dem Gov. Delaware is about to get steamrolled. It's a sick feeling to be a gun owner and believer in the US and Delaware Constitutions right now. The only hope now is the courts, and that could take years.

Three new bills introduced yesterday by Bryan Townsend, who is a Bloomberg puppet:
Senate Bill 68 seeks to outright ban the possession, purchase, manufacture, or sale of the most commonly-owned semi-automatic firearms in Delaware with limited exceptions. These firearms are popularly owned and used for self-defense, target shooting and hunting.

Senate Bill 69 seeks to impose a requirement that individuals obtain training and a permit in order to purchase a firearm in Delaware. Not only does this place another arbitrary hurdle on what is a Constitutionally-guaranteed right, it is a dangerous practice that could slow an individual’s ability to purchase a firearm for self-defense when they need it most. SB 69 is an egregious attempt to create more avenues to deny someone their Second Amendment rights, including discriminating against those who are financially less fortunate.

Senate Bill 70 seeks to outright ban the possession, purchase, sale, and manufacture, of any magazine that can hold more than 15 rounds of ammunition. Further, all currently covered magazines would need to be relinquished by June 30, 2020.
If it weren't for my sons, I'd begin renting in Virginia this weekend. :ohno:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Col Hogan wrote:Do you have to register weapons in DE?
As soon as SB 68 passes, yes.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Col Hogan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
If it happens, I'll register a couple of shotguns. That's it. Everything else gets dropped/lost in the lake.
We already have CT and NY as examples of what happen when repressive governments try to institute registration...

In CT, it is estimated that less than 30% of the required weapons actually have been registered...

The Hartford Courant newspaper actually wrote an editorial calling on door-to-door raids on homes suspected of hiding unregistered weapons...

:suspicious:
Last year's attempted AWB was modeled after Maryland's. This year's is modeled after Connecticut's. And if this one doesn't pass, they'll just keep introducing it every year. They're trying to exhaust the resources of the Delaware Sportsman's Association, the local NRA-ILA affiliate.

They know they're on shaky ground because of one very important phrase that some smart guy with a white wig wrote many, many years ago. From the Delaware Bill of Rights:
§ 20. Right to keep and bear arms.

Section 20. A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.
http://delcode.delaware.gov/constitutio ... n-02.shtml

We are the only state with such a passage in our Constitution. It may help. We'll see.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:
We already have CT and NY as examples of what happen when repressive governments try to institute registration...

In CT, it is estimated that less than 30% of the required weapons actually have been registered...

The Hartford Courant newspaper actually wrote an editorial calling on door-to-door raids on homes suspected of hiding unregistered weapons...

:suspicious:
Last year's attempted AWB was modeled after Maryland's. This year's is modeled after Connecticut's. And if this one doesn't pass, they'll just keep introducing it every year. They're trying to exhaust the resources of the Delaware Sportsman's Association, the local NRA-ILA affiliate.

They know they're on shaky ground because of one very important phrase that some smart guy with a white wig wrote many, many years ago. From the Delaware Bill of Rights:
§ 20. Right to keep and bear arms.

Section 20. A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.

We are the only state with such a passage in our Constitution. It may help. We'll see.
Delaware also has a pro-gun State Supreme Court.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Delaware also has a pro-gun State Supreme Court.
I suspect that legislation as egregious as this will get a fast track there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Delaware also has a pro-gun State Supreme Court.

Delaware is a small state, so we have no intermediate appellate court. Appeals go straight from the trial court to the Supreme Court. Our Bridgeville Gun Club decision was a 3-2 ruling, with the hyper-Donk Chief Justice in the minority. :thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Delaware is a small state, so we have no intermediate appellate court. Appeals go straight from the trial court to the Supreme Court. Our Bridgeville Gun Club decision was a 3-2 ruling, with the hyper-Donk Chief Justice in the minority. :thumb:
Unfortunately, our last Republican Governor served before Bill Clinton was sworn in for his first term, and those conservative justices won't live forever.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Delaware is a small state, so we have no intermediate appellate court. Appeals go straight from the trial court to the Supreme Court. Our Bridgeville Gun Club decision was a 3-2 ruling, with the hyper-Donk Chief Justice in the minority. :thumb:
Unfortunately, our last Republican Governor served before Bill Clinton was sworn in for his first term, and those conservative justices won't live forever.
But Delaware has the political balance requirements on its courts, per state constitution.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:
But Delaware has the political balance requirements on its courts, per state constitution.
3-2 is all they need.