Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

$9 billion here, $21 trillion there...

Post by kalm »

Pretty soon you're talking about real money.

"Unsupported adjustments", are called "journal entries" in our Quickbooks company file. It's when you've fucked up the accounting, similar to a bird's nest on your fishing reel where at some point you just say 'screw it, I'm cutting out the mess and starting over'.

Only this is $21 Trillion worth of birds nests. :shock:

Cleets likes to point out that we don't have a revenue problem. I'm seeing the light. While the sheer size of the system makes some of this inevitable and I'm sure (as pointed out) similar stuff is going on in multiple departments, but still, $21 trillion?

It also reminds me of the de Tocqueville quote about the destruction of the republic once people learn they can vote themselves more money from the treasury. That's often used by conks to describe Democratic voters on welfare. Only this time it's defense contractors with lobbyists. Not that big pharma who bills medicare is any less of a welfare whore.

This is not capitalism, folks.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-p ... -trillion/

(Baldy will cry "truthdig" but the supporting article that is linked comes from Forbes)
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: $9 billion here, $21 trillion there...

Post by HI54UNI »

Think about it - $21 trillion is roughly the national debt. :ohno:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

I think we've finally hit a number that AZ can't quip is nothing more than a "rounding error"

:geek:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Obviously you guys have never seen Independence Day or 2012. Duh.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:Obviously you guys have never seen Independence Day or 2012. Duh.
Bill Paxton was in one of those, right? I think I saw it.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote:I think we've finally hit a number that AZ can't quip is nothing more than a "rounding error"

Please tell me when I've EVER said that. Find the quote, I'll wait. :roll:

In your zeal to win the smugness award on the internet you continually step on your own dick. :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

truthdig. :lol: :suspicious:

I don't think the DoD has gotten $21 trillion total since it was founded in 1947.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

So, you're telling me I can't believe the national debt calculator I have that runs in the upper right corner of my computer screen?
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote:truthdig. :lol: :suspicious:

I don't think the DoD has gotten $21 trillion total since it was founded in 1947.
Oops! Wrong GSU guy! :rofl:

Reading is fundamental, friend.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:I think we've finally hit a number that AZ can't quip is nothing more than a "rounding error"

In your zeal to win the smugness award on the internet you continually step on your own dick. :nod:

Lighten up Frances... I was just poking fun

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

https://youtu.be/0OnpkDWbeJs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

kalm wrote:

Kalm, I've seen stories like this before. Usually on websites like Infowars and Common Dreams. That doesn't mean it's wrong, but the idea of them having that much money to spend over 17 years causes the fuse to blow in the ole BS detector.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote:
kalm wrote:

Kalm, I've seen stories like this before. Usually on websites like Infowars and Common Dreams. That doesn't mean it's wrong, but the idea of them having that much money to spend over 17 years causes the fuse to blow in the ole BS detector.
Hint: Read my OP.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote:Pretty soon you're talking about real money.

"Unsupported adjustments", are called "journal entries" in our Quickbooks company file. It's when you've fucked up the accounting, similar to a bird's nest on your fishing reel where at some point you just say 'screw it, I'm cutting out the mess and starting over'.

Cleets likes to point out that we don't have a revenue problem. I'm seeing the light. While the sheer size of the system makes some of this inevitable and I'm sure (as pointed out) similar stuff is going on in multiple departments, but still, $21 trillion?

It also reminds me of the de Tocqueville quote about the destruction of the republic once people learn they can vote themselves more money from the treasury. That's often used by conks to describe Democratic voters on welfare. Only this time it's defense contractors with lobbyists. Not that big pharma who bills medicare is any less of a welfare whore.

(Baldy will cry "truthdig" but the supporting article that is linked comes from Forbes)
Hmmmm...just spitballin' here, but maybe post the article from Forbes instead? :idea:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote:
kalm wrote:Pretty soon you're talking about real money.

Hmmmm...just spitballin' here, but maybe post the article from Forbes instead? :idea:
No. I liked Lee Camp's snarky screed and I figured it might catch some of our more gullible fish.

Yes! :mrgreen:

(I even telegraphed the expedition in the OP... :ohno: )
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

I'll kill ya!

phpBB [video]
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

I'll kill ya!

phpBB [video]
Cuz...cuz...that’s why they call you the cruiser!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I think you've got a point there. The article says the Pentagon spent 21 trillion unaccounted-for dollars between 1998 and 2015. I don't think that much was spent in total discretionary spending over the period. I didn't look up each year but total discretionary spending, of which military spending was a little more than half, was $1.15 trillion in 2015. 1998 through 2015 is 18 years. Multiply $1.15 trillion times 18 and you get $20.7 trillion.

Something's not adding up. Yes I know it wasn't $1.15 trillion in discretionary spending every year but it's going to be in the ballpark. Probably substantially less near the beginning of the period since we're not adjusting for inflation. It's probably be fairly close to guess that TOTAL military spending was somewhere in the $10 to $15 trillion range.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:

I think you've got a point there. The article says the Pentagon spent 21 trillion unaccounted-for dollars between 1998 and 2015. I don't think that much was spent in total discretionary spending over the period. I didn't look up each year but total discretionary spending, of which military spending was a little more than half, was $1.15 trillion in 2015. 1998 through 2015 is 18 years. Multiply $1.15 trillion times 18 and you get $20.7 trillion.

Something's not adding up. Yes I know it wasn't $1.15 trillion in discretionary spending every year but it's going to be in the ballpark. Probably substantially less near the beginning of the period since we're not adjusting for inflation. It's probably be fairly close to guess that TOTAL military spending was somewhere in the $10 to $15 trillion range.
It’s the OIG that reported the amount and it pertains to undocumented “adjustments” to expenses within the Pentagon’s own accounting rather than what was budgeted.

Perhaps unaccounted for spending is off budget?
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Fvck

We have a colony on Titan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CID1990 wrote:Fvck

We have a colony on Titan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or the back side of the moon.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:

Your math and post makes the argument for $21T. You total to $20.7T then admit the discretionary spending every year was was $1.15. You're not off by much.

And you guys have no clue how badly our government can waste money. You really are giving our gov't too much credit.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Not that it defeats the general point, but after reading the Forbes article listed in the original post, it should be clarified that the DoD isn't accountable for the entire 21 trillion dollars:
...original government sources indicate $21 trillion in unsupported adjustments have been reported for the Department of Defense and the Department of Housing and Urban Development for the years 1998-2015.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotlikoff/ ... 256efe7aef

That said, the article also states at least 6.5 trillion dollars is specifically from the Army General Fund.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:

Jon. It's UNACCOUNTED FOR. As in, not in the accounting system. The government uses cash accounting methods. Which is pretty handy when you control the ability to print money.