"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Sun Belt Thread 2017

Post by Baldy »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Appalachian will be hosting South Carolina at Kidd Brewer stadium. :rockon:

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/ap ... 10d99.html
Still shoulda stayed in the SoCon, right JSO? :tothehand:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Appalachian will be hosting South Carolina at Kidd Brewer stadium. :rockon:

Damn....I may travel to Boone for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Baldy wrote:

Still shoulda stayed in the SoCon, right JSO? :tothehand:
dback had also been making a lot posts about how App's OOC schedule is worse in the Sun Belt than the SoCon. :suspicious:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Baldy wrote: Still shoulda stayed in the SoCon, right JSO? :tothehand:
dback had also been making a lot posts about how App's OOC schedule is worse in the Sun Belt than the SoCon. :suspicious:

No, how their ATTENDANCE is worse. Which it is. Hey, if you like the Sun Belt and the Poulan Weedeater Furniture.com Dollar General Bowl presented by Waffle House in Montgomery, more power to you.
:thumb:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Looks like I was confusing you for Wilcat Ryan. But, you came in this thread defending him.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... 6&start=25
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Looks like I was confusing you for Wilcat Ryan. But, you came in this thread defending him.

I presented facts. You know, your actual OOC schedule :)

So that doubles the number of good games at Kidd-Brewer in the next 10 years! Congrats.

Watch the Cocks take the home game, then sometime before 2025 find a way to cancel...
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:Looks like I was confusing you for Wilcat Ryan. But, you came in this thread defending him.

Watch the Cocks ...
There you go again, dback. :mrgreen:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:

Damn....I may travel to Boone for that.

If we're alive then

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

It's interesting to me that schools like South Carolina will play road games at places like Appalachian State while Sun Belt programs thing they are too "good" to schedule road games at FCS stadiums. The difference between the South Carolina program and the Appalachian State program n terms of budget, fan interest, caliber of athletes it can potentially recruit is much greater than the difference between the Appalachian State program and, say, the Western Carolina program.

The Sun Belt, as a league, is much closer in terms of caliber of teams, finances, fan interest, etc., to the Southern Conference than it is to the SEC. In most years it would not be all that big of an upset if the Southern Conference champion beat the Sun Belt champion. It would be a HUGE upset if the Sun Belt champion beat the SEC champion. So on and so forth.

It's just such a complete "pretend we're something we're not" exercise.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:

It's interesting to me that schools like South Carolina will play road games at places like Appalachian State while Sun Belt programs thing they are too "good" to schedule road games at FCS stadiums. The difference between the South Carolina program and the Appalachian State program n terms of budget, fan interest, caliber of athletes it can potentially recruit is much greater than the difference between the Appalachian State program and, say, the Western Carolina program.

The Sun Belt, as a league, is much closer in terms of caliber of teams, finances, fan interest, etc., to the Southern Conference than it is to the SEC. In most years it would not be all that big of an upset if the Southern Conference champion beat the Sun Belt champion. It would be a HUGE upset if the Sun Belt champion beat the SEC champion. So on and so forth.

:popcorn:

ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

JohnStOnge wrote:

Thanks again to all of you for your continued interest in Sun Belt football. :thumb:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

JohnStOnge wrote:

You should write a letter of protest to the ADs of all G5 schools explaining this...

College football isn't a meritocracy, JSO. More people watched App destroy Toledo in the Dollar General Bowl than watched the FCS championship game even though NDSU and JMU are every bit as good as App was last year...
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Sun Belt Thread 2017

Post by CID1990 »

Pwns wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

You should write a letter of protest to the ADs of all G5 schools explaining this...

College football isn't a meritocracy, JSO. More people watched App destroy Toledo in the Dollar General Bowl than watched the FCS championship game even though NDSU and JMU are every bit as good as App was last year...
Ok I just want to give credit where credit is due and pause this thread for a moment to point out how Pwns, a GSU fan, just masterfully defended the Sun Belt, threw props to the quality of the top FCS teams, and did it at the expense of Appy St all at the same time.

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

CID1990 wrote:
Pwns wrote:

Ok I just want to give credit where credit is due and pause this thread for a moment to point out how Pwns, a GSU fan, just masterfully defended the Sun Belt, threw props to the quality of the top FCS teams, and did it at the expense of Appy St all at the same time.

:lol: Truth. While Georgia Southern sucked. What's their record against the real GSU again?
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter

Post by ASUG8 »

AshevilleApp wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

:lol: Truth. While Georgia Southern sucked. What's their record against the real GSU again?
I don't know about you AA, but I'm flattered by all the interest in SB and App State football.

In April.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

ASUG8 wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:
I don't know about you AA, but I'm flattered by all the interest in SB and App State football.

In April.
Cripes, you Belters love the attention - following Jelly's lead and getting your undies all sticky over some comments on an FCS message board. :kisswink:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Actually, my Tapatalk keeps putting this thread up

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the attention.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

What's the benefit of scheduling an away FCS game?
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Skjellyfetti wrote:What's the benefit of scheduling an away FCS game?
It's as much of a benefit, at least. as there is to South Carolina scheduling a game at Appalachian State.

I live in LSU land. And I can tell you there is no way LSU would ever schedule an away game at a Sun Belt school. Same with Alabama. Let me know when that happens. Or Auburn. Or Florida.

And there are some circumstances wherein local fan interest might mean maintaining a regular home and home series with a FCS might be beneficial.

Like for instance ULL and McNeese State. That was a long time regular home and home series that always had big crowds relative to what both schools experienced until the I-A/I-AA split. The last two times ULL played McNeese it had its biggest home crowds of the season. And let me add that the last time was in 2016 when they opened the season hosting Boise State (attendance 22,661) before hosting McNeese (attendance 26,891) the next week. That was after Boise State blew ULL out in the opener; which probably damped attendance some.

It's a "local interest" thing involving two schools that are about 60 miles apart and historically had an intense rivalry. A regular home and home every year game would benefit both schools.
Could I ever be a star?

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:
It's as much of a benefit, at least. as there is to South Carolina scheduling a game at Appalachian State.

I live in LSU land. And I can tell you there is no way LSU would ever schedule an away game at a Sun Belt school. Same with Alabama. Let me know when that happens. Or Auburn. Or Florida.

And there are some circumstances wherein local fan interest might mean maintaining a regular home and home series with a FCS might be beneficial.

Like for instance ULL and McNeese State. That was a long time regular home and home series that always had big crowds relative to what both schools experienced until the I-A/I-AA split. The last two times ULL played McNeese it had its biggest home crowds of the season. And let me add that the last time was in 2016 when they opened the season hosting Boise State (attendance 22,661) before hosting McNeese (attendance 26,891) the next week. That was after Boise State blew ULL out in the opener; which probably damped attendance some.

It's a "local interest" thing involving two schools that are about 60 miles apart and historically had an intense rivalry. A regular home and home every year game would benefit both schools.
I'm willing to bet the schools will draw a lot of alumni from Charlotte, Greensboro, Columbia, Charleston, etc...
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote:

If UL-Laughayette were to schedule a home and home with McNeese, (considering 26,891 were at the game in Laughafette) how would your 17,000 seat stadium accommodate the 10K extra fans?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Baldy wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

If UL-Laughayette were to schedule a home and home with McNeese, (considering 26,891 were at the game in Laughafette) how would your 17,000 seat stadium accommodate the 10K extra fans?
It couldn't accommodate all of them. About 20,000 by letting people sit on the hill behind the end zone and such. The 2002 Grambling game attendance was reported as 20,300 and having been there I think that's about the limit. But it's clear that the football fans of the vicinity are interested in seeing the two schools play. ULL would make more money from a home and home series with McNeese State than it's going to make with home and home series against anybody in the Sun Belt Conference.

In 2016 the highest home attendance ULL had for a Sun Belt game was 21,367 and that was homecoming. They had 16,960 for Appalachian State.

In 2007, the last previous time the two schools played, ULL got 33,828 playing McNeese. The highest they got for a Sun Belt game was 14,091.
Could I ever be a star?