BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Bison get even!!!!

Post by BDKJMU »

clenz wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: If you count the 2014 signees (4th year players last season) as Bohl recruits (most would have committed when he was still HC) then most of NDSU's 4th year & 5th year players this past season would have been Bohl recruits, right?
Kleiman was the lead recruiter. This years Bison team also started line 18 non seniors woh a ton of sophomores playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, what I was saying would apply more to an outside hire.

According to their game notes (I know not 100% accurate), of the 22 starters, it was 14 non seniors/8 seniors.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Bottom line is that Tressel is still #1 with 4. If I had to bet the current NDSU coach will at least tie him. But we'll see.

Also, Erk Russell deserves a special place. He started a football program from scratch and did what he did. There was no football program at all at Georgia Southern. Their first year under Russell was 6-3-1. A winning record in the first year as a football program. The program won a national championship in its fourth year of football.

It's going to be tough for anybody to beat what Erk Russell did all things considered. Let's watch to see what the Kennesaw State guy does. He's basically following the Georgia Southern program startup model.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote:Once we had 2-3 years of Houston recruits playing we were strong.
That appears to be the case with JMU. 2017, basically Houston's 1st recruit class:
-22 straight out of HS (includes preferred walkons). At least 8 saw 2 deep action. 1 started, the ambidextrous, rugby style punter from Australia who was a freshman All American. 3 of those 8 should be starting next season.
-7 P5 transfers, 6 still on team, 5 were on 2 deep, at least 4 of whom should be starting next season.

2018 early signing:
-14 HS signees, 9 show at least 1 I-A offer, 6 of them show multiple.
-3 P5 transfers, 2 of whom were starters last season, and the 3rd played in 9 of 12 games as of true Fr at UVA in 2016..

One thing Houston has done better than the previous coaches is assistants. Right after the NC game JMU lost their OL coach to Maryland. New OL coach hired this past week has 43 years coaching experience, 35 at the Div I level, 30 of that coaching OL (ECU, Ga Tech, Cincinnatti, S Carolina, USF, FIU), 20 years also was OC (ECU, GA Tech, FIU)..

Was at the Citadel in the early 80s..
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/sh ... it-for-jmu

JMU has some old coaches. Began their coaching career/likely age
OC 1984 (55-56) (was an OC at L'ville, ECU, HC at UTC).
DC 1976 (63-64) (was a DC at Arkansas, Clemson, Duke, Baylor, NFL assistant with Giants, Pats, Browns).
OL 1974 (65-66) (was an OC at ECU, GA Tech, FIU)..
DL 1971 (68-69)

One thing is for sure, Houston's baby boomer assistants have worked out a lot better than Everett Wither's millennials did..

BTW the coach JMU got from the Citadel last year, Roy Tesh, I think did an awesome job coaching OLB & special teams. We saw how good the JMU special teams was during the NC game.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:Bottom line is that Tressel is still #1 with 4. If I had to bet the current NDSU coach will at least tie him. But we'll see.

Also, Erk Russell deserves a special place. He started a football program from scratch and did what he did. There was no football program at all at Georgia Southern. Their first year under Russell was 6-3-1. A winning record in the first year as a football program. The program won a national championship in its fourth year of football.

It's going to be tough for anybody to beat what Erk Russell did all things considered. Let's watch to see what the Kennesaw State guy does. He's basically following the Georgia Southern program startup model.
Has Klieman been offered a I-A HC job yet? He might not get to pass Tressel if a I-A hires him.

Agree on Russell.

I'll say the same thing about Kennesaw I said on the JMU board. Only 3rd year of football, finished 12-2. Looking at their game notes, they return 20 of 22 starters (11 offense, 9 defense. 15 will be seniors next season.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksuowls.com/do ... NSIHED.pdf.
Looking at their schedule:
-@ Ga State (finished 7-5, won toilet bowl).
-Samford (Kennesaw beat Samford in the 1st round).
-@ Monmouth (yeah Monmouth got an at large, but they shouldn't have, Kennesaw destroyed them).
-JSU in Atlanta (Kennesaw beat JSU in the round of 16)..
http://www.ksuowls.com/schedule.aspx?path=fb
If Kennesaw went 11-0, they would likely be a top 3 seed. JSU the last 4 seasons regular season has gone 10-1/8-0, and been the #3, #1, #3, and #3 seed. Maybe Kennesaw can put an end to that.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Bohl probably could have won 6 or 7 if he had stayed. He has turned Wyoming around after 4 years. See how good they eventually get. And he wasn't good enough for Nebraska. Klieman has to win a few more to convince people he didn't inherit a great team and ride the coat-tails.
If you count the 2014 signees (4th year players last season) as Bohl recruits (most would have committed when he was still HC) then most of NDSU's 4th year & 5th year players this past season would have been Bohl recruits, right?
Oh, it's not easy to win a championship or 3, no matter who you have on the team. Klieman has proven to be a good coach in a program that he helped build and coach. Bohl started after a not so good coach and brought NDSU into I-AA/FCS and made it a winner. Klieman has keep the ball rolling.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: If you count the 2014 signees (4th year players last season) as Bohl recruits (most would have committed when he was still HC) then most of NDSU's 4th year & 5th year players this past season would have been Bohl recruits, right?
Oh, it's not easy to win a championship or 3, no matter who you have on the team. Klieman has proven to be a good coach in a program that he helped build and coach. Bohl started after a not so good coach and brought NDSU into I-AA/FCS and made it a winner. Klieman has keep the ball rolling.
Like I said earlier he has done a phenominal job. Hasn’t he turned down I-A HC offer(s)?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Like I said earlier he has done a phenominal job. Hasn’t he turned down I-A HC offer(s)?
I have not heard that he was offered any I-A positions, just that he could have followed Bohl to Wyoming as a DC.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote:
dal4018 wrote: -QB: Big ??? is who will replace Schor.
-Cole Johnson, 6’5”/210 Soph. 1 start 2016 as a true Fr vs a bad Elon team was 12 for 13, 274, 2 TDs, 0 INT..
-Gage Maloney, rising rFr, 3 Star our of HS/Mr SC in football, had 1/2 doz G5 offers.
-Pitt transfer Ben Dinucci, will be a rJr. 6 starts last season.
http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=

-DL: Lose 3 of 4 starting, including concensus AA DE and 1st team All CAA DT. Return 3rd team All CAA DE (2016 UVA transfer). Have more 3 P5 transfers: 2 more from UVA- one who started 5 games for UVA, one who played as a true Fr 2016, spent last season at a JUCO. One from Wake who spent the last 2 seasons on their 2 deep.
From what I heard from JMU’s Spring game yesterday, while Houston is saying its down to a 2 QB battle, sounds like the Pitt QB transfer Dinucci is going to be the starting QB.
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/jm ... cut-to-two

And the transfer DT who started 5 games for UVA last year is apparently already off the roster after less than a semester. The thinnest position for JMU now.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »