JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: FBS Playoffs (Poll)

Post by JohnStOnge »

89Hen wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Just watch Bama, "3rd best" team in the SEC, pull off another title...yeah SEC really sucks. :lol:
Who said they suck? You guys crack me up.
The main thing is that if they're only going to have four teams in a playoff failing to win the conference championship should be disqualifying. Alabama did not earn getting IN to the final four. They did not even win their division within their conference. That's the part that sucks.

Like take their route as opposed to Georgia. Georgia won their division of the SEC so they would have had to win what were essentially three playoff games to get the title. They had to win the SEC championship game, then they had to win the semifinal, then they had to try to win the championship game.

Bama actually got rewarded for not winning its division of the SEC by having to win only two games to get the championship. It's like they got a bye for failing. The system has a serious flaw in that regard. No way Alabama should've been rewarded like that for failing to win its division of the SEC.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
89Hen wrote: Who said they suck? You guys crack me up.
The main thing is that if they're only going to have four teams in a playoff failing to win the conference championship should be disqualifying. Alabama did not earn getting IN to the final four. They did not even win their division within their conference. That's the part that sucks.

Like take their route as opposed to Georgia. Georgia won their division of the SEC so they would have had to win what were essentially three playoff games to get the title. They had to win the SEC championship game, then they had to win the semifinal, then they had to try to win the championship game.

Bama actually got rewarded for not winning its division of the SEC by having to win only two games to get the championship. It's like they got a bye for failing. The system has a serious flaw in that regard. No way Alabama should've been rewarded like that for failing to win its division of the SEC.
The system is totally flawed at 4 teams, but just like with FCS you're supposed select the 4 best teams regardless of conference affiliation. You also need to parse through SOS, quality wins, etc. It's tough at this point to say Bama wasn't one of the 4 best.

Lucky guess by the committee. The only antidote is to expand. Short of that, I agree that punishing Bama and SEC for scheduling weak would help.

Just need to expand.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:Just need to expand.
That's the thing. It's such an easy fix and there is NO valid argument to not expand.

Too many games? I-AA, D2 and D3 all make it work and with MORE playoff games than an 8 team field.

It makes the regular season "meaningless"? It actually makes more teams' regular seasons meaningful.

It makes the bowls "meaningless"? They already are as meaningful or meaningless as they're going to get.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
Lucky guess by the committee. The only antidote is to expand. Short of that, I agree that punishing Bama and SEC for scheduling weak would help.

Just need to expand.
Already too late for next year. 'Bama is basically already in the 2018-19 playoffs. OOC schedule includes Louisville (without Lamar Jackson and in a neutral site in Orlando), and then three home games against lightweights (LA-Lafayette, Ark St, and The Citadel). Crossover game with the SEC East is home against Missouri and the annual game with doormat Tennessee. Only 4 true away games on campus, they don't have to travel any further west than Little Rock, and the furthest game is that neutral site game against a diminished Louisville team. Even if they lose the one tough game on their schedule (at LSU) this year proves that they'll be in the playoffs anyway. Heck, they might want to lose to LSU so that they get an extra week of rest by not having to play the SEC title game.

Needs to be 8 teams just to get the SEC teams to play more teams from other power conferences. Too much schedule hiding going on.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Should expand, but won't. It's a damn shame too, I would love to see an 8 team P5 playoff.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote:Should expand, but won't.
Care to wager?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Should expand, but won't.
Care to wager?
It won't expand before the current CFP contract expires.

I'll wager a $50 donation to the local animal shelter. You game?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote:
89Hen wrote: Care to wager?
It won't expand before the current CFP contract expires.

When is that? Next year?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote:
SDHornet wrote: It won't expand before the current CFP contract expires.

When is that? Next year?
ESPN TV deal is through 2025, so I assume 2025 is the last year of the current contract. Not sure though.

Still game?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote:
89Hen wrote: When is that? Next year?
ESPN TV deal is through 2025, so I assume 2025 is the last year of the current contract. Not sure though.

Still game?
That it won't ever expand? Sure.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote:
SDHornet wrote: ESPN TV deal is through 2025, so I assume 2025 is the last year of the current contract. Not sure though.

Still game?
That it won't ever expand? Sure.
Nice job with reading comprehension there. :lol: :dunce:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote:Should expand, but won't. It's a damn shame too, I would love to see an 8 team P5 playoff.
Where do you give a timeframe when I asked if you'd like to wager?

Will it expand before it can? Um, no. Will it expand eventually? It's inevitable. Just look at I-AA. We were absolutely, perfectly fine at 16 and it still expanded. I-A is NOT fine at 4, so it will expand.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Should expand, but won't. It's a damn shame too, I would love to see an 8 team P5 playoff.
Where do you give a timeframe when I asked if you'd like to wager?

Will it expand before it can? Um, no. Will it expand eventually? It's inevitable. Just look at I-AA. We were absolutely, perfectly fine at 16 and it still expanded. I-A is NOT fine at 4, so it will expand.
The post where I state the TV deal as the time frame. Didn't know I had to hold your hand through this whole thing.

My terms was that it wouldn't expand before the current contract is up. You seemed to be incapable of grasping that straightforward guideline.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote:
89Hen wrote: Where do you give a timeframe when I asked if you'd like to wager?

The post where I state the TV deal as the time frame. Didn't know I had to hold your hand through this whole thing.

My terms was that it wouldn't expand before the current contract is up. You seemed to be incapable of grasping that straightforward guideline.
I don't know what got in your bonnet here. You said it won't expand. I begged to differ. Of course it probably won't expand during the current format contract.