Post by dal4018 »

NDSU wins 17-13!!!!!!!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bison get even!!!!

Post by 93henfan »

dal4018 wrote:NDSU wins 17-13!!!!!!!
Hell yeah! Check out the game thread here: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... =4&t=48553
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

93henfan wrote:
dal4018 wrote:NDSU wins 17-13!!!!!!!
Hell yeah! Check out the game thread here: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... =4&t=48553
Thanks celebration in Largo!!!!!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Yep, lots of Bison fans in Florida and Maryland!!

I know you meant Fargo!!!!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

NDSU has reset the bar in FCS. They have tied Georgia Southern's record of six championships in 14 seasons of I-AA/FCS play (2004-present). It took Georgia Southern 17 seasons to get their sixth (1984-2000).
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Oh, that game was today? Meh.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

93henfan wrote:NDSU has reset the bar in FCS. They have tied Georgia Southern's record of six championships in 14 seasons of I-AA/FCS play (2004-present). It took Georgia Southern 17 seasons to get their sixth (1984-2000).
One of two things has to be true:

1. Craig Bohl, Chris Klieman, and Mike Houston are the best coaches in the history of the division. They have accomplished feats other I-AA coaching legends did not, including guys like Erk Russell, Jerry Moore, Tubby Raymond, and Jim Tressel.

2. It's not as difficult for elite programs to win national championships as it used to be.

Now #1 is just not too overly easy to believe. I used to not be overly convinced the FCS was a top heavy as some made it out to be, but now I'm starting to think it is. Of course part of it is that Montana seems to have dropped off a cliff, App State and Georgia Southern are gone, and minus JMU a lot of the traditional CAA powers are just down.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

grizzaholic wrote:Oh, that game was today? Meh.
Lol yeah right!!!!!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Pwns wrote:
93henfan wrote:NDSU has reset the bar in FCS. They have tied Georgia Southern's record of six championships in 14 seasons of I-AA/FCS play (2004-present). It took Georgia Southern 17 seasons to get their sixth (1984-2000).

1. Craig Bohl, Chris Klieman, and Mike Houston are the best coaches in the history of the division. They have accomplished feats other I-AA coaching legends did not, including guys like Erk Russell, Jerry Moore, Tubby Raymond, and Jim Tressel.

2. It's not as difficult for elite programs to win national championships as it used to be.

Now #1 is just not too overly easy to believe. I used to not be overly convinced the FCS was a top heavy as some made it out to be, but now I'm starting to think it is. Of course part of it is that Montana seems to have dropped off a cliff, App State and Georgia Southern are gone, and minus JMU a lot of the traditional CAA powers are just down.
I think the Dukes will be back we are looking at a potential rivalry????
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Pwns wrote:

NDSU can only play who’s on the schedule. It’s not their fault the SoCon fizzled after Appy’s last title and Delaware and Montana decided to sit this decade out.

Plus, they’re pretty fucking good.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dal4018 wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Thanks celebration in Largo!!!!!
NDSU plays in the Florida Keys? Who knew? :?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Pwns wrote:[ I used to not be overly convinced the FCS was a top heavy as some made it out to be, but now I'm starting to think it is. Of course part of it is that Montana seems to have dropped off a cliff, App State and Georgia Southern are gone, and minus JMU a lot of the traditional CAA powers are just down.
You know, one thing I think about when you write that because of where I went to school is that the entire Southland Conference in general and McNeese State in particular are a lot weaker than they used to be. During 1984-1989 the Southland only won one national title but it had four different programs make the championship game during those six years. McNeese frequently had teams that could play with anybody in the country during 1991 through 2002. They went into the playoffs as the #1 seed in 1995 and lost a competitive 24-13 semifinal to Marshall (it was 17-13 until very late when Marshall scored to put the game on ice). In 1997 they lost the national championship game to Youngstown State by 10-9. In 1998 they lost in the first round but the loss was to eventual national champion UMass by 22-19 when McNeese narrowly missed a field goal at the end. In 2002 they laid an egg in the championship game but they beat the national champion by 38-13 during the regular season. Another thing is that during 1991 through 2002 they made the playoffs at the end of 10 of the 12 seasons.

Since 2002 they have only made the playoffs 5 times in 15 seasons and have not won a playoff game. Also, 4 of the losses were blowout losses. I keep hoping the program will come back but it's been a long drag.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Ivytalk wrote:
dal4018 wrote:Thanks celebration in Largo!!!!!
NDSU plays in the Florida Keys? Who knew? :?
You wish lol.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Pwns wrote:

Meh. I'll take John Volek over those guys....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SuperHornet wrote:
Pwns wrote:

Meh. I'll take John Volek over those guys....
What was his record? Can't find much info other than he was at Cal-Sac for 8 years before getting fired.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

dal4018 wrote:
Pwns wrote:

I think the Dukes will be back we are looking at a potential rivalry????
Maybe not next season, which is part rebuild, part reload.
The bad news for JMU is that only 9 of 22 who started the NC game were non seniors.
The good news for JMU is that there are 10 other players with multiple game starting experience at JMU and/or a P5. 7 of them weren‘t on the field for the NC game- 5 out with injury, and 2 P5 who started at UVA & Pitt.

-QB: Big ??? is who will replace Schor.
-Cole Johnson, 6’5”/210 Soph. 1 start 2016 as a true Fr vs a bad Elon team was 12 for 13, 274, 2 TDs, 0 INT..
-Gage Maloney, rising rFr, 3 Star our of HS/Mr SC in football, had 1/2 doz G5 offers.
-Pitt transfer Ben Dinucci, will be a rJr. 6 starts last season.
http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/roste ... rp_id=5613

-OL: loses 3 with double digit starts, including a near consensus AA, but returns 6 with with multiple to double digit starts going back to 2016 (2 weren‘t on the field for the NC game, a 3rd was limited).

-TE: Lose starting (didn’t do much last season). #2 TE (rising JR, season ending injury Oct) and #3 TE (rising Soph, who’s older brother was 1st team All CAA in 2015) have all CAA potential.
-WR loses 3 of 6 2 deep, but return Riley Stapleton, who had a monster playoffs and should be a pre season All American.

-RB: Top 3 return, including Cardon Johnson (2015 2nd team All CAA, 265 yds vs ECU, season ending injury in Sept).

-WR: Lose 3 off 2 deep, but return 2nd & 3rd leading. Riley Stapleton, banged up for much of the regular season, was a monster in the playoffs. Could be an All American.

-DL: Lose 3 of 4 starting, including concensus AA DE and 1st team All CAA DT. Return 3rd team All CAA DE (2016 UVA transfer). Have more 3 P5 transfers: 2 more from UVA- one who started 5 games for UVA, one who played as a true Fr 2016, spent last season at a JUCO. One from Wake who spent the last 2 seasons on their 2 deep.

-LB: Lose 2 of 3 starting, one AA, other 3rd team All CAA. Return 1 starter + 2015 starting LB (16 tackles vs NDSU IN 2016 semis) who missed season due to injury. Also return 2 deep who rotated in. 2016 played as a true Fr at UVA with multiple starts.

-Corner: Top 4 All return, including an American, a 1st team All CAA, the nickel, and a 2 deep who missed the entire season due to injury.

-Safety: Lose both AA’s.1 or 2 of the corners might be moved to safety.

Next season might slip a little, but should only be starting 5-6 seniors (2 Offense, 3-4 defense) and should be loaded for a title run in 2019..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Pwns wrote:
A few of asides:

Jim Tressel won 4 national championships. Bohl and Klieman have 3 each. Houston has 1.

Also, Erk Russell and Jerry Moore each have 3 each. So, actually, we're not to the point yet where any of the "new" guys mentioned have more championships than 3 of the "old" guys mentioned.

Klieman's in good position to tie then perhaps surpass Tressel at the top. But he hasn't done it yet.

And what's up with even putting Houston into the discussion at this point? The guy has 1 national championship. I mean, you have to have 1 before you can have multiple. But at this point he's not even in the conversation.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Pwns wrote:
A few of asides:

Jim Tressel won 4 national championships. Bohl and Klieman have 3 each. Houston has 1.

Also, Erk Russell and Jerry Moore each have 3 each. So, actually, we're not to the point yet where any of the "new" guys mentioned have more championships than 3 of the "old" guys mentioned.

Klieman's in good position to tie then perhaps surpass Tressel at the top. But he hasn't done it yet.

And what's up with even putting Houston into the discussion at this point? The guy has 1 national championship. I mean, you have to have 1 before you can have multiple. But at this point he's not even in the conversation.
Well, in the last 3 seasons he has:
-taken a Citadel team (2015) to their 1st playoff birth in close to a quarter century (and beat S Carolina & won playoff game to boot).
-took JMU to back to back NC games while going 28-2, 27-1 vs I-AA.

I believe Kleiman & Houston are the only 2 HC who have made NC game in their 1st 2 seasons..

Russell: 1st made & won NC 4th season at GSU (was only their 4th year of football & 2nd I think playing a full I-AA schedule).
Tressel: 1st made & won NC game in his 6th season at YSU.
Moore: 1st made & won NC game in his 17th? season at ASU.
Bohl: 1st made & won NC game in his 9th season at NDSU/8th in I-AA/4th season eligible for playoffs.

What Kleiman has done has been phenominal, but he did inherit a team that had won the past 3 straight NCs, and he had Carson Wentz as the starting QB for his 1st 2 seasons.

While Houston certainly didn't inherit a bare cupboard at JMU, he inherited a JMU team that had lost in the round of 16 the previous 2 seasons. 2016 Weren't a pre season top 10, and were picked to finish 3rd in the CAA.

Here's how I would rank the coach's with NC wins. I'd have Houston 9th, 2nd highest of those that have 1, behind Jim Donnan.
-Tressel: 4
-Russel: 3
-Bohl: 3
-Moore 3
-Kleiman: 3
-Paul Johnson 2 (GSU)
-Roy Kidd: 2 (EKU)
-Jim Donnan: 1 (Marshall)
-Houston

Johnson at GSU: (inherited a GSU team that was 4-7 the season prior):
97' lost qtr final
98' lost NC
99' won NC
00' won NC
01' lost semis

Kidd at EKU (39 seasons 1964-2002). (I-AA those 1st 5 seasons 78'-82' was in major flux with teams moving up and down..
79' won NC (4 team field)
80' lost NC (4 team field)
81' lost NC (8 team field)
82' won NC (8 team field)
Made playoffs 13 of next 15 seasons, but only as far as semis 3 times..

Jim Donnan at Marshall:
90' 6-5
91' lost NC
92' won NC
93' lost NC
94' lost semis
95' lost NC
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
Here's how I would rank the coach's with NC wins. I'd have Houston 9th, 2nd highest of those that have 1, behind Jim Donnan.
-Tressel: 4
-Russel: 3
-Bohl: 3
-Moore 3
-Kleiman: 3
-Paul Johnson 2 (GSU)
-Roy Kidd: 2 (EKU)
-Jim Donnan: 1 (Marshall)
-Houston
I think that's reasonable. But the only point I'm really getting at is that we aren't at a point yet where the "new" guys have done markedly better than the "old" guys. You, for example, ave three of the top four positions assigned to the "old" guys.

Kleiman is in really good position to surpass Tressel's 4 though with the way North Dakota State is going.

Sad thing for Tressel is that he was OH so close to winning 4 in a row and 5 overall. The last second 1992 loss to Marshall was a nail biter.
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Bohl probably could have won 6 or 7 if he had stayed. He has turned Wyoming around after 4 years. See how good they eventually get. And he wasn't good enough for Nebraska. Klieman has to win a few more to convince people he didn't inherit a great team and ride the coat-tails.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote:Bohl probably could have won 6 or 7 if he had stayed. He has turned Wyoming around after 4 years. See how good they eventually get. And he wasn't good enough for Nebraska. Klieman has to win a few more to convince people he didn't inherit a great team and ride the coat-tails.
If you count the 2014 signees (4th year players last season) as Bohl recruits (most would have committed when he was still HC) then most of NDSU's 4th year & 5th year players this past season would have been Bohl recruits, right?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Bohl probably could have won 6 or 7 if he had stayed. He has turned Wyoming around after 4 years. See how good they eventually get. And he wasn't good enough for Nebraska. Klieman has to win a few more to convince people he didn't inherit a great team and ride the coat-tails.
If you count the 2014 signees (4th year players last season) as Bohl recruits (most would have committed when he was still HC) then most of NDSU's 4th year & 5th year players this past season would have been Bohl recruits, right?
Using that logic Houston hasn’t proved anything yet. it’s all been the previous coach's recruits...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

BDKJMU wrote:
Kleiman was the lead recruiter. This years Bison team also started line 18 non seniors woh a ton of sophomores playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: If you count the 2014 signees (4th year players last season) as Bohl recruits (most would have committed when he was still HC) then most of NDSU's 4th year & 5th year players this past season would have been Bohl recruits, right?
Using that logic Houston hasn’t proved anything yet. it’s all been the previous coach's recruits...
Geez I wasn't saying Kleiman hadn't proved anything yet. Was just trying to point out that since most HC's get hired in Dec or Jan, their 1st recruit class mostly committed under the previous staff, so a majority of the starters might not be his recruits until his 3rd or 4th season, and not 100% his recruits until his 5th or 6th season. Of course this depends on how many guys are redshirting, how many younger guys are starting, how many transfers, etc. Obviously with this past season being Kleiman's 4th season, I assume a majority of NDSU starters committed after Bohl left.

According to the game notes for the NC game, by my count, of the 22 starters:
8 Mickey Matthew's recruits.
10 Everette Wither's recruits.
4 Houston recruits.

Next year's starters look like they'll be about a 50/50 split of Withers & Houston recruits. It won't be until 2019 when its mostly Houston recruits, and 2020 or 2021 when its 100% his guys (of course Houston is likely to be gone by then).

JMU missed the playoffs the last 3 seasons under Matthew's, and got bounced at home in the 1st round and the round of 16 in the 2 seasons under Withers. Houston took made back to back NC games with that talent. No doubt in my mind JMU would not have made an NC with Withers..
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Once we had 2-3 years of Houston recruits playing we were strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris