All other college sports!
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

UCF beats Auburn!!!!!

Post by dal4018 »

The Golden Knights pull off biggest upset in school history won the game 34-27!!!!!!
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: UCF beats Auburn!!!!!

Post by Skjellyfetti »

UCF's win and Big Ten getting shut out of the playoffs will hopefully speed up the 8-team playoff. :nod:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:UCF's win and Big Ten getting shut out of the playoffs will hopefully speed up the 8-team playoff. :nod:
Point taken maybe it will increase to 12 one day!!!!!!Wisconsin beat Miami again wow!!!!!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UCF undefeated National Champions!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:UCF undefeated National Champions!
I wish.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Skjellyfetti wrote:UCF's win and Big Ten getting shut out of the playoffs will hopefully speed up the 8-team playoff. :nod:
UCF may not have made an 8 team playoff. The college football playoff rankings by the all powerful Committee had the Knights at #10. It won't happen but they need to just turn things over to the NCAA and have a NCAA playoffs like in the other sports and football levels.

What hacks me off is here is Alabama again being given a shot to win the national championship when they not only didn't win their conference but didn't even win their division within their conference. It happened like that with the 2011 BCS title game and now it's happening in the College Football Playoff (CFP).

I realize they say "the best four teams" but I don't think that's what it should be. I think if it's going to be four teams it should be the four teams that did the most to earn one of the spots.

Like take Wisconsin vs. Alabama. Wisconsin won their division of their conference and played in the Big 10 championship game where they lost by 6 points to Ohio State; which finished at #5 in the CFP rankings. Alabama LOST in the game for the SEC West title by 12 points to Auburn; which finished at #7 in the CFP rankings. Wisconsin clearly did more to earn a spot than Alabama did.

Really, though, if they're going to have only 4 teams in the CFP one of the rules ought to be that a team has to win its conference championship to be included.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

8 team playoff with 5 auto-bids from the P5, highest ranked G5 gets auto-bid, and two other at-large.

A 6 team playoff with conference P5 champions and highest ranked G5 would work as well. :nod:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Congrats - I heard Danny White is scheduling a parade!!
Make Delaware Football Great Again
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
UCF may not have made an 8 team playoff. The college football playoff rankings by the all powerful Committee had the Knights at #10. It won't happen but they need to just turn things over to the NCAA and have a NCAA playoffs like in the other sports and football levels.

What hacks me off is here is Alabama again being given a shot to win the national championship when they not only didn't win their conference but didn't even win their division within their conference. It happened like that with the 2011 BCS title game and now it's happening in the College Football Playoff (CFP).

I realize they say "the best four teams" but I don't think that's what it should be. I think if it's going to be four teams it should be the four teams that did the most to earn one of the spots.

Like take Wisconsin vs. Alabama. Wisconsin won their division of their conference and played in the Big 10 championship game where they lost by 6 points to Ohio State; which finished at #5 in the CFP rankings. Alabama LOST in the game for the SEC West title by 12 points to Auburn; which finished at #7 in the CFP rankings. Wisconsin clearly did more to earn a spot than Alabama did.

Really, though, if they're going to have only 4 teams in the CFP one of the rules ought to be that a team has to win its conference championship to be included.
Anyone who watched the Alabama-Clemson game, knows Alabama belongs in the NC game.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

bluehenbillk wrote:
I believe it will be Scott Frost.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:8 team playoff with 5 auto-bids from the P5, highest ranked G5 gets auto-bid, and two other at-large.

A 6 team playoff with conference P5 champions and highest ranked G5 would work as well. :nod:
Option 1 sounds good, Option 2 sounds sketchy to me. I think you have to leave room for a second place conference team.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:8 team playoff with 5 auto-bids from the P5, highest ranked G5 gets auto-bid, and two other at-large.

Option 1 sounds good, Option 2 sounds sketchy to me. I think you have to leave room for a second place conference team.
I'd be fine with Option 1, but I would put a limit on t he highest ranked G5 team - make them be at least 15th or something in the rankings (either a separate ranking or a composite of polls). UCF was clearly a deserving team this year and should've been in there over a 'Bama, but you don't get that every year. It's still just 8 teams and you want the best in there, not just 7 teams and an obligatory G5 team. If a G5 team in worthy, most years being in the top 15 will get them in.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

UCF's best wins:
1. A Memphis team that lost to Iowa State
2. a USF team whose only Power 5 win was squeaking by 6-6 Texas Tech.
3. A 4-8 Maryland team.

I hate it for them and think the CFP needs to expand, but you can't tell me it's fair to put them in over any of the 4 teams in the playoff, especially either of the SEC teams.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

They had 2 wins over top-25. Same as Alabama.

Alabama's best win was a pretty mediocre LSU.

Alabama is probably one of the best 4 teams in the country... but, their resume wasn't great. 3rd place in conference and 2nd place in your division shouldn't get you in a 4 team playoff, imo.

89Hen wrote:

I would prefer Option 1 as well.

But, I wouldn't have any qualms about a second place conference team being left out of the playoffs. If you want to be the national champion - win your conference. Pretty simple.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

bluehenbillk wrote:
Why? D. White is an Arizona State alum.

:roll:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

UCF Celebrates National Championship

Post by Gil Dobie »

SuperHornet wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:
Why? D. White is an Arizona State alum.

:roll:
The other Danny White

Link

UCF athletic director Danny White said Wednesday that the program has decided to claim a national championship and will place a championship banner inside Spectrum Stadium to recognize its undefeated 2017 season.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Pwns wrote:UCF's best wins:
1. A Memphis team that lost to Iowa State
2. a USF team whose only Power 5 win was squeaking by 6-6 Texas Tech.
3. A 4-8 Maryland team.

I hate it for them and think the CFP needs to expand, but you can't tell me it's fair to put them in over any of the 4 teams in the playoff, especially either of the SEC teams.
Before the semi-finals Alabama's best win was Fresno State, food for thought....... :coffee:
Make Delaware Football Great Again
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Alabama just decisively beat the team none of the SEC haters (and that's really what a lot of this all is about, butthurt that the NCG is an all-SEC affair) had any objection to having the #1 seed. They were the correct team to put in the playoff, period.
Celebrate Diversity.*
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote:Alabama just decisively beat the team none of the SEC haters (and that's really what a lot of this all is about, butthurt that the NCG is an all-SEC affair) had any objection to having the #1 seed. They were the correct team to put in the playoff, period.
Nope, sorry, good try. You can't justify inclusion into a 4 team playoff based on the outcome of that 4 team playoff after the fact. Just because you win games after getting into something you shouldn't have been in in the first place doesn't erase the fact you shouldn't be there.

UCF #nationalchamps
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Pwns wrote:Alabama just decisively beat the team none of the SEC haters (and that's really what a lot of this all is about, butthurt that the NCG is an all-SEC affair) had any objection to having the #1 seed. They were the correct team to put in the playoff, period.
:nod:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:UCF #nationalchamps
Nope. They just join the long list of eligible undefeateds without a BCS and/or AP national championship (you know, the ones that matter). Small sample:

2010 - TCU 13-0
2009 - Boise St 14-0
2008 - Utah 13-0
2006 - Boise St 13-0
2004 - Auburn 13-0
1997 - Nebraska 13-0
1994 - Penn State 12-0
1993 - Auburn 11-0
1991 - Washington 12-0
1973 - Penn State 12-0
1969 - Penn State 11-0
1968 - Penn State 11-0
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

GannonFan wrote:
Nope, sorry, good try. You can't justify inclusion into a 4 team playoff based on the outcome of that 4 team playoff after the fact. Just because you win games after getting into something you shouldn't have been in in the first place doesn't erase the fact you shouldn't be there.

UCF #nationalchamps
But apparently you can use UCF's post-season win over Auburn as a post-hoc justification that they should've been in the playoff and should be national champs. How do you justify UCF with just the regular season?

Their best regular-season win was Memphis (only Power 5 win was a 4-8 UCLA team) and South Florida (didn't beat any Power 5 teams). Their strength of schedule pales in comparison to any SEC team's strength of schedule.
Celebrate Diversity.*
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Pwns wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

UCF #nationalchamps
But apparently you can use UCF's post-season win over Auburn as a post-hoc justification that they should've been in the playoff and should be national champs. How do you justify UCF with just the regular season?

Their best regular-season win was Memphis (only Power 5 win was a 4-8 UCLA team) and South Florida (didn't beat any Power 5 teams). Their strength of schedule pales in comparison to any SEC team's strength of schedule.
Alabama's non-conference wins? Fresno St, Florida St (7-5), Colorado St, Mercer.
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Pwns wrote:

Alabama's non-conference wins? Fresno St, Florida St (7-5), Colorado St, Mercer.
You aren't really trying to say the SEC is no better than the AAC are you?
Celebrate Diversity.*
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

UCF #nationalchamps

Typical 'Bama fan/SEC apologist only bringing up the regular season game against Memphis, when UCF actually beat Memphis twice as they had to face them again in the conference championship game (you know, the kind of conference championship game 'Bama didn't even qualify for). When you look at 'Bama's schedule, they played three hard games all year (strangely, the same number as UCF) - they played Mississippi St, LSU, and Auburn. And unlike UCF, which won all of their hard games, 'Bama went 2-1. 'Bama got in because the system's rigged, not because they earned it.

#UCFNationalChamps