Will Healy (Austin Peay) Wins Robinson Award

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Will Healy (Austin Peay) Wins Robinson Award

Post by Gil Dobie »

Great season for AP, too bad they were not selected to the playoffs.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:Great season for AP, too bad they were not selected to the playoffs.
Want to see what they do next yr when they can no longer sneak up on the opposition.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Well deserved. The turn around he has led at AP has been absolutely phenominal. Only 32, was already a finalist for the USA job..
-AP’s last winning season before this season 2007. Before Healy got there were an absolute abomination. One of the worst teams in all of Div 1.
2013 0-12
2014 1-11
2015 0-11
2016 0-11 (Healy’s 1st season).
2017 8-4 (2 I-A losses).
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/ ... 875053001/
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/spor ... ar/459172/
http://www.apsugovernors.com/coaches.aspx?rc=570
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I guess it's all relative but the best team Austin Peay beat, 6-5 Tennessee Martin, is currently rated 39th among FCS teams in the Sagarin ratings and playing at home they only beat them by 7-0.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote:I guess it's all relative but the best team Austin Peay beat, 6-5 Tennessee Martin, is currently rated 39th among FCS teams in the Sagarin ratings and playing at home they only beat them by 7-0.
In the past they were losing against these same bad teams. Give credit where credit's due.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:I guess it's all relative but the best team Austin Peay beat, 6-5 Tennessee Martin, is currently rated 39th among FCS teams in the Sagarin ratings and playing at home they only beat them by 7-0.
In the past they were losing against these same bad teams. Give credit where credit's due.
I think he deserves credit for improving a historically bad program but I think Nicholls State's Tim Rebowe has been a little more impressive. There may have been others that arguably had more impressive accomplishments but that's the one I can think of due to familiarity.

Austin Peay actually has a bigger athletic budget than Nicholls State does. According to the numbers at http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/ Austin Peay spent $14 million on athletics in 2016 while Nicholls State spent $8 million. Nicholls State went 0-12 the year before Rebowe took over in 2015. In 2016 his squad seriously threatened to beat Georgia. This year his team was tied with Texas A&M at the end of the third quarter and ended up making the playoffs. He's accomplished more than the guy at Austin Peay has at a school that spends about 60% as much on athletics as Austin Peay does.

If the award was going to go to someone who improved a program that's historically had difficulty winning I think Rebowe would have been a better choice.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I think he deserves credit for improving a historically bad program but I think Nicholls State's Tim Rebowe has been a little more impressive. There may have been others that arguably had more impressive accomplishments but that's the one I can think of due to familiarity.

Austin Peay actually has a bigger athletic budget than Nicholls State does. According to the numbers at http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/ Austin Peay spent $14 million on athletics in 2016 while Nicholls State spent $8 million. Nicholls State went 0-12 the year before Rebowe took over in 2015. In 2016 his squad seriously threatened to beat Georgia. This year his team was tied with Texas A&M at the end of the third quarter and ended up making the playoffs. He's accomplished more than the guy at Austin Peay has at a school that spends about 60% as much on athletics as Austin Peay does.

If the award was going to go to someone who improved a program that's historically had difficulty winning I think Rebowe would have been a better choice.
EWU now so spends around $14 million but has been at or near the bottom of Big Sky athletics budgets and has been able to make deep playoff runs. Just saying.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

So how much did Nichols St improve from last year, compared to AP going from 0 wins to 7 wins.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

How in the heck did Jody Sears not get this?!?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SuperHornet wrote:How in the heck did Jody Sears not get this?!?
Because he didn't win 8 games with a team that only had 1 win the previous 3 years combined.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

So how much did Nichols St improve from last year, compared to AP going from 0 wins to 7 wins.
Nicholls State won 5 games in 2016. But the program made the playoffs this year for the first time since 2005. Now, I realize that Austin Peay has never made the playoffs. But they didn't make the playoffs this year either. I also think that Nicholls State's effort against Texas A&M was more impressive than anything Austin Peay did this year by a long shot.
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Nicholls State won 5 games in 2016. But the program made the playoffs this year for the first time since 2005. Now, I realize that Austin Peay has never made the playoffs. But they didn't make the playoffs this year either. I also think that Nicholls State's effort against Texas A&M was more impressive than anything Austin Peay did this year by a long shot.
Austin Peay was 0-11 in 2016, 1-45 going into to this season, 29 straight losses. They were 8-1 against FCS opponents this year. McNeese is the only win that stands out for Nichols, otherwise, both won games against bottom teams. Austin Peay, however improved 8 games from 2016.

Games won with Sagarin ratings

Austin Peay
Morehead St 251
Murray St 225
UT Martin 176
Tenn St 193
SE Missouri 210
Tenn Tech 230
E Kentucky 204
E Illinois 190

Nichols St
McNeese 139