Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

JMU's Houston to I-A rumor mill cranking up

Post by BDKJMU »

I knew this was gonna happen.. :ohno:

1st was GSU:
"...USA Today reported Sunday that James Madison head coach Mike Houston withdrew his name from consideration for the Georgia Southern job to focus on the FCS playoffs. The Dukes are the reigning national champions....."
http://savannahnow.com/local-colleges/s ... ices-being

Now according to Bruce Feldman:
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/sta ... 3924307969
No way in hell Houston goes to Rice..he can do way better..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: JMU's Houston to I-A rumor mill cranking up

Post by 93henfan »

I remember when KC Keeler was going to Michigan and then Penn State.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Houston's next stop is a P5 school. He IS that good, and people have taken notice that he has excelled leading multiple schemes, in diverse environments, and he is as good at landing great assistants as he is at landing recruits.

All these mid-major also-rans and academic schools need to stop and take a valium because he ain't going there unless they are willing to pay him many millions of dollars.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

I still hope we get 1 more year with Houston. But the thing is IF win the NC this year (or make Frisco & lose) could take a dip next year. Starting 15 seniors now, including Schor...Couple lose @ NC State & 1-2 CAA games..Maybe not a deep playoff run..Houston has a better chance of going out at the pinnacle after this season than next..But then again, next year could just reload for another run with returning 2 deep (have a very good #2 QB), this years true Fr, & a handful of P5 transfers..
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

My guess is Houston's next stop is some place like East Carolina or UCF. He's not going straight to a P5 job right away unless it's some place where you can get a statue on campus for going to 5 straight bowl games. Even a lot of G5 teams have it in their head that you need to hire someone from "big-time" football and turn up their noses at FCS head coaches, and P5 programs are obviously even worse about that.

The chances he goes straight from JMU to some job like Tennessee or even Arkansas or Miss State are next to nil, but he certainly could be at some place like that in 5 years.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GSU poster JCGSU with close to 4k posts on CSN:
Welp like I said our AD was going to F this up and he did royally. We paid a national search firm, interviewed FCS coaches, P5 coords, NFL assistants from all over the country and hired a guy in Statesboro GA. You really cant fathom how screwed we are at the AD position.

From a guy that is in the athletic foundation we were $200-300K and week away from getting Houston. If anyone thinks Houston was not worth the 200-300K more than what we offered they are morons. One bullet dodged JMU!! Hope you keep him one more year! From what I can deduce he is wanting atleast 1-1.2M which his resume would dictate. We probably offered $900K+/- tops.

Pray this Lunsford guy is the next PJ Fleck for us we need all the help we can get. If you do lose him there the Healey guy at Austin Peay would be a great pick up.
JMU poster
This is how it went down. GSU contacted HCMH’s agent. Agent gauged interest with HCMH. HCMH said it would have to be in the $1m-$1.2m range. Agent relayed. GSU came back at 900k per. Agent said no thanks. No offer, no interview.

Interview happens after a verbal on $. They never got there.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Pwns wrote:My guess is Houston's next stop is some place like East Carolina or UCF. He's not going straight to a P5 job right away unless it's some place where you can get a statue on campus for going to 5 straight bowl games. Even a lot of G5 teams have it in their head that you need to hire someone from "big-time" football and turn up their noses at FCS head coaches, and P5 programs are obviously even worse about that.

The chances he goes straight from JMU to some job like Tennessee or even Arkansas or Miss State are next to nil, but he certainly could be at some place like that in 5 years.
Pretty much agreed. Like Cid said, he is that good. He could go to a high G5 like you mentioned, ECU or UCF, or a mid P5 (like an NC State). Billy Ray Cyrus has reportedly already turned down the Vols (rumored at 6 years/42 million). Will parlay that into a big raise in Stillwater. Some of UT's back up choices are reportedly Dave Doeren at NC State, Purdue's Jeff Brohm, and SMU's Chad Morris. Would Doeren get & take the UT job? the SEC East for a school like Tenn is an easier path to the playoffs than the ACC Atlantic (Clempson, Free Shoes U, Louisville) for a school like NC State.

The 2 that really worry me the most because Houton is from NC:
-NC State if Doeren gets hired away..
-ECU if/when they fire Scottie Montogomery. They haven't yet last weeks embarrassing 70-13 blowout loss @ Memphis to finish 3-9 for the 2nd straight season. Made the incredibly stupid decision 2 years ago to Ruffin McNeill after finishing 5-7 in his 6th sixth season. But 4 of his 1st 5 were bowls, including a 10 win season the year before he was fired. Then they turned around and hired the then 37 old Montgomery, OC at Duke with 0 head coaching experience, and he's been a disaster. ECU top notch for a G5 facilities and had very good fan support. The only reason ECU wouldn't fire Montgomery yet is because they would be on the hook for 3 years/about 3 million..
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

There's no question Houston would take the Georgia Southern job if it was his best offer. We have the money to offer $1 million and our beat writer confirmed Houston's interest and that he was a finalist. The reality is if you want a coaching job at a top 40 program you usually have to go through the G5 internship (unless you have some coaching connection to that major program). It doesn't make a lot of sense, but a lot of stuff in coach hiring doesn't.

The issue with Georgia Southern hiring Houston is that we're basically on the waiting list and not at the front of it. With the early signing day you've got more schools making their hiring decisions earlier than ever before (you usually didn't see any hires going on before the conference championship weekend). You've also got an interim head coach who has taken a team that was legitimately the worst in FBS and made them into a team that can play with any Sun Belt/CUSA/MAC team. There is really no better vetting of a head coaching candidate than to have him take over a program for half a season and see how he does with it, and Lunsford has passed with flying colors. If he succeeds he will be coaching longer than Houston too, that's for sure.

Honestly, a couple of weeks ago I would've been surprised if Houston was still at JMU after this season but now it's looking like there's a decent chance he'll still be at JMU, especially now that it looks like ECU is going to keep Scottie Montgomery (idiots).
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

With Frost probably going to Nebraska, UCF would be perfect. And yes, some Nebraska folks would like Klieman on their staff with Frost.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Pwns wrote:There's no question Houston would take the Georgia Southern job if it was his best offer. We have the money to offer $1 million and our beat writer confirmed Houston's interest and that he was a finalist. The reality is if you want a coaching job at a top 40 program you usually have to go through the G5 internship (unless you have some coaching connection to that major program). It doesn't make a lot of sense, but a lot of stuff in coach hiring doesn't.

The issue with Georgia Southern hiring Houston is that we're basically on the waiting list and not at the front of it. With the early signing day you've got more schools making their hiring decisions earlier than ever before (you usually didn't see any hires going on before the conference championship weekend). You've also got an interim head coach who has taken a team that was legitimately the worst in FBS and made them into a team that can play with any Sun Belt/CUSA/MAC team. There is really no better vetting of a head coaching candidate than to have him take over a program for half a season and see how he does with it, and Lunsford has passed with flying colors. If he succeeds he will be coaching longer than Houston too, that's for sure.

Honestly, a couple of weeks ago I would've been surprised if Houston was still at JMU after this season but now it's looking like there's a decent chance he'll still be at JMU, especially now that it looks like ECU is going to keep Scottie Montgomery (idiots).
1 million ballpark base + incentives + I assume that would mean an assistant salary pool of about 2? million. +other employee costs and that would be an annual FB compensation pool of around 3.5 million? I'm surprised GSU has that kind of coin at this point.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Joe Moorhead, O-Coordinator at Penn State, just got hired as HC at Mississippi St.
Fordham before Moorhead: 2007-2011 losing records, 2011 1-10
Under Moorhead:
2012: 6-5
2013: 12-2/6-0 L 2nd round
2014: 11-3/6-0 L 2nd round
2015: 9-3/5-1 L 1st round
Followed by 2 years at PSU as OC. 2 year route to probably a 6 fold or more pay increase.

After being the HC the last 7 seasons at 3 different schools I don't see Houston going the P5 coordinator route..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Houston gets 10 year contract extension at JMU, replacing current contract. Financial details not disclosed Current contract 375k base + incentives (last year were 87.5k incentives after winning NC).
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/ho ... gram-here-
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I remember when Craig Bohl signed a 8 year contract at NDSU and then like a week later took the Wyoming job.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

clenz wrote:I remember when Craig Bohl signed a 8 year contract at NDSU and then like a week later took the Wyoming job.
I could be wrong, but it seems like this means one of 2 things: JMU is going to make the jump to FBS within the next 8 or years, or he's using JMU as a placeholder until he gets the FBS offer he really wants (i.e. P5).
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

clenz wrote:I remember when Craig Bohl signed a 8 year contract at NDSU and then like a week later took the Wyoming job.
Yeah, I'm thinking this is to just make JMU feel good for now.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Grizalltheway wrote:
I could be wrong, but it seems like this means one of 2 things: JMU is going to make the jump to FBS within the next 8 or years, or he's using JMU as a placeholder until he gets the FBS offer he really wants (i.e. P5).
JMU has the highest athletic revenue in FCS, almost double NDSU. Can see them moving to FBS next. Not going to say moving UP, not sure G5 is up.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

89Hen wrote:
Yeah, I'm thinking this is to just make JMU feel good for now.
Things like this only come around if there was another job offer that was a real/serious threat to him leaving.

IOW - He's still gonna leave but it's probably next year and not this year.

Or if they win another title it's next month and not this one.

Seniors leaving after this season
Brian Schor
Cardon Johnson - 3rd leading rushing
Terrence Alls - leading WR
Ishmael Hyman (rofl) - 4th in WR
John Miller - 5th in WR
Nick Edwards- starting right guard
Aaron Stinnie - starting left tackle

Kyre Hawkins - leading tackler, 2nd in TFL, 1st in sacks, 2nd in PBU
Raven Greene - 2nd in tackles, 3rd in INT, 3rd in PBU, 2nd Forced fumbles
Jordan Brown - 3rd in tackles, 1st in INT, 3rd in PBU
Brandon Hereford - 5th in tackles, 5th in sacks, 3rd in QBH
Urqhart Cornell - 6th in tackles, 5th in TFL, 2nd in QBH
Andrew Ankrah - 8th in tackles, 1st in TFL, 1st in sacks, t2nd QBH
Simeyon Robinson - 9th in tackles 2nd in TFL, 4th in sacks
Only 3 players return had more than 35 total tackles this year. None had more than 60

His top running backs are gone after next year. His other top WR are gone after next year. 2 of the top 10 tacklers that weren't seniors are gone after next year.

I'd put money on Houston not being the JMU coach by signing day 2019
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Long extensions like this are often the harbinger of coaches leaving. It does seem likely he's not long for JMU.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

GannonFan wrote:Long extensions like this are often the harbinger of coaches leaving. It does seem likely he's not long for JMU.
It's like ADs and GMs giving a coach their full endorsement/trust to the media.

That only ever signals the end.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:Long extensions like this are often the harbinger of coaches leaving. It does seem likely he's not long for JMU.
Yikes, Klieman just got a 6 year deal. He's a perfect coordinator type too.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

clenz wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yeah, I'm thinking this is to just make JMU feel good for now.
Things like this only come around if there was another job offer that was a real/serious threat to him leaving.

IOW - He's still gonna leave but it's probably next year and not this year.

Or if they win another title it's next month and not this one.

Brian Schor
Cardon Johnson - 3rd leading rushing
Terrence Alls - leading WR
Ishmael Hyman (rofl) - 4th in WR
John Miller - 5th in WR
Nick Edwards- starting right guard
Aaron Stinnie - starting left tackle

Kyre Hawkins - leading tackler, 2nd in TFL, 1st in sacks, 2nd in PBU
Raven Greene - 2nd in tackles, 3rd in INT, 3rd in PBU, 2nd Forced fumbles
Jordan Brown - 3rd in tackles, 1st in INT, 3rd in PBU
Brandon Hereford - 5th in tackles, 5th in sacks, 3rd in QBH
Urqhart Cornell - 6th in tackles, 5th in TFL, 2nd in QBH
Andrew Ankrah - 8th in tackles, 1st in TFL, 1st in sacks, t2nd QBH
Simeyon Robinson - 9th in tackles 2nd in TFL, 4th in sacks
Only 3 players return had more than 35 total tackles this year. None had more than 60

His top running backs are gone after next year. His other top WR are gone after next year. 2 of the top 10 tacklers that weren't seniors are gone after next year.

I'd put money on Houston not being the JMU coach by signing day 2019
Left off Bolden & Kloosterman. Yeah, Houston will probably be gone in 2019. But it won't be because there is too much talent drop off to be replaced. Yeah, JMU loses a lot this season. Still have a lot returning, will undoubtedly bring in some P5 transfers for 2018 (brought in 7 this year, 5 on the 2 deep, 2 now starting). JMU is also signing excellent HS classes for the I-AA level. For JMU its reload, not rebuild.

Offensive Starters lost:
-2nd team All CAA QB Brian Schor (1st team All CAA 2016).
-3rd team All CAA WR Terrence Alls - leading WR (suspended 1st 4 games, 2nd team All CAA last year).
-CAA Special teams POTY WR John Miller - went down in SBU game to ankle sprain, dnp vs Weber, not on 2 deep for SDSU.
-1st team All CAA/1st team All American LT Aaron Stinnie
-OL Nick Edwards (started last 8 games at RG, replaced injured rSo starter who started 1st 5 games). vs Weber moved to RT after starting RT Jackson went down)
-LG AJ Bolden: starting LG, season ending injury vs SBU.
-TE Johnathan Kloosterman: 1st team All CAA 2016, this season suspended 1st 2 games, missed several with mono, several more games not 100%. Injured knee vs Weber, don't know if will play vs SDSU

Returning:
-rSo RT Jahee Jackson (2nd team All CAA): went down vs Weber, status vs SDSU unknown.
-OC Mac Patrick
-rSo RG Gerren Butler: Started 1st 5 games, suffered season ending injury.
-Would have started at RT RSo Tyree Chavious: started 2016 playoffs, Aug camp starting RT when suffered season ending injury.
-1st and 2nd leading rushers, have alternated at starter.
-WR David Eldridge (UVA transfer, 8 starts, 2nd leading WR)

Plus:
-2nd team rSo WR Riley Stapleton (6 starts): Starting vs Weber in place of the inured Miller: 8 catches, 189 yds, 1 TD
-#2 QB so Cole Johnson (6'5"/210, can chuck it): in his one start last year vs Elon as a tru Fr was 12 of 13 for 274 yds, 2 TDs, 0 INT.

Defesive starters lost
-1st team All CAA, CAA Defensive POTY, 1st team AP AA Andrew Ankrah
-1st team All CAA DT Simeyon Robinson
-DT Urqhart Cornell
-1st team All CAA LB Kyre Hawkins
-3rd team All CAA Brandon Hereford (probably would have been 2nd team All CAA if not suspended for 4 games).
-1st team All CAA S Raven Greene (4 INT).
-2nd team All CAA/1st team AP AA S Jordan Brown (7 INT).

Return:
-3rd team All CAA rJr DE Darrious Carter
-1st team All CAA/1st team AP AA Jr corner Rashad Robinson (7 INT)
-1st team All CAA rJr corner Jimmy Moreland (5 INT)
-Starting So LB Bryce Maginley

Plus:
-rFr LB Gus Little, started 1st 5 games.
-2016 starting LB Jr Dimitri Holloway (16 tackles vs NDSU in semis, injured vs YSU in NC game, reinjured vs ECU, out for season, med redshirt).
-3rd/nickel corner, rotates with 2 starters Jr Curtis Oliver: almost as good as Robinson & Moreland.
-Jr corner Charles Tutt: was running with the starters in Aug when suffered season ending injury for 2nd year in a row.
+most of the rest of the 2 deep

I predict will lose @ NC State and 1 CAA game, still be 9-2, a semifinal type team..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: I could be wrong, but it seems like this means one of 2 things: JMU is going to make the jump to FBS within the next 8 or years, or he's using JMU as a placeholder until he gets the FBS offer he really wants (i.e. P5).
JMU has the highest athletic revenue in FCS, almost double NDSU. Can see them moving to FBS next. Not going to say moving UP, not sure G5 is up.

It's not.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: I could be wrong, but it seems like this means one of 2 things: JMU is going to make the jump to FBS within the next 8 or years, or he's using JMU as a placeholder until he gets the FBS offer he really wants (i.e. P5).
You do know where that revenue comes from right?

They are pretty tapped out because you can only rape students so far before you can't anymore

Total Revenue - 47,442,648
Student Fees - 36.3m
Ticket sales - 2.7m
Donations - 2.5m
Rights - 3.2m
School funds - 1.8m
Other - 650k
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

clenz wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
You do know where that revenue comes from right?

They are pretty tapped out because you can only rape students so far before you can't anymore

Total Revenue - 47,442,648
Student Fees - 36.3m
Ticket sales - 2.7m
Donations - 2.5m
Rights - 3.2m
School funds - 1.8m
Other - 650k
One thing about that 47 million+ is Virginia schools JMU's athletic budget is stuff schools in many other states don't count under their athletic dept budgets, like debt services & other infrastructure related costs, band, spirit groups, services paid by the athletic dept to the univ for various stuff, etc. Different states have different accounting rules as to what is counted under atheltic budgets vs general. Allow VA schools to use the accounting rules in some other states and about 20-25% of that 47+ million could be shift elsewhere.

That and JMU fully funds all 17 varsity sports (11 women, 6 men's), something a lot of other mid majors don't do..Part of that is Title IX and the "problem" of about 60% female student body..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

"HARRISONBURG — Mike Houston is gaining a major bump in pay that will push his salary to more than half a million dollars annually.

The second-year James Madison football coach’s 10-year extension will pay him $515,311 per year.

That total includes a base salary of $390,311 — a $15,311 increase from the first extension he signed after leading the Dukes to the national title last year — and an additional $125,000 per year of privately funded pay, raised by “anonymous donors” through the school’s foundation....

....Houston will also receive a $50,000 retention bonus on Feb. 1. All of his bonuses and incentives stay the same from the initial extension he inked after last season. This year he’s already notched incentives for winning the Colonial Athletic Association ($5,000), earning a playoff berth ($31,250), winning three playoff games ($15,625 per win) and making a national championship game appearance ($31,250). A victory on Jan. 6 will net him an additional $31,250.

New to Houston’s contract are large buyouts. The amount owed is based on when he’d leave and where he’d leave for.

If he’s to leave JMU before Jan. 2020, he’ll have to pay the school $500,000 for a job in Conference USA, the Mountain West, the Mid-American Conference or Sun Belt, or $750,000 for one in the American Athletic Conference and then $1,000,000 to move all the way up the Power Five.

The buyout numbers lessen the longer he stays at JMU....

....The pay raise comes along with something Houston said his football program has needed since his arrival.

...The contract states the school will build a temporary indoor practice facility in time for the start of the 2018 season.....

.....Offensive coordinator Donnie Kirkpatrick and defensive coordinator Bob Trott are wrapping up the first year of three-year deals. The rest of the coaches are on one-year contracts.

All staff members that have been with Houston since he arrived at JMU received pay raises last offseason...."
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/ho ... -big-raise

So if he were to win a future NC game after this season, he could top 650k..