2R - UNI @ (5) SoDak State

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Back on October 14th., Northern Iowa browbeat South Dakota State on the road by 20 points. Since that point, the Jackrabbits have won 5 in row with 3 of those coming over playoff teams. The Panthers have also been playing better late in the season, but the surge hasn't been as dramatic and I don't think they've got enough firepower to dodge SDSU's revenge bid in Brookings.

Here's my assessment of the matchups & my pick for the game:

• Quarterbacks -- South Dakota St.

Running Backs - South Dakota St.

Receivers/TEs - South Dakota St.

Offensive Line - South Dakota St.

Defensive Line - Northern Iowa

Linebackers --- Northern Iowa

Secondary ---- Northern Iowa

Kicking ------ (push)

Punting ------ Northern Iowa

Return Teams - South Dakota St.

Kickoffs ------ Northern Iowa

• Northern Iowa 20-28 South Dakota St.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: 2R - UNI @ (5) SoDak State

Post by SuperHornet »

UNI by 14....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

So I take it SDSU has ther better offense, UNI the better defense. Predicting SDSU here.

Only know a little about SDSU. Know on offense they are very good, with a # of studs with likely NFL futures. Just looked at NFLDraft Scout and the TE Goedert is rated as the #2 TE, projected 2nd-3rd round. The WR Wienke is projected as a 3rd-4th Rd. I see for some reason weren't as good the 1st half of the season, with losing @ YSU and to UNI 38-18. How in the heck did SDSU lose to UNI by 20 at home, then beat NDSU by 12 at home?

See SDSU has won 5 straight since losing to UNI. UNI has won 4 straight.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Marcus Weymiller came on the scene in the SDSU game and rushed for 170 yards and 2 TD's. Finished the season with 720 yards in the last 7 games, with 8 TD's. If the Jacks can stop him, that will go a long way to winning this one. SDSU had only 63 yards rushing in that game.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Gil Dobie wrote:Marcus Weymiller came on the scene in the SDSU game and rushed for 170 yards and 2 TD's. Finished the season with 720 yards in the last 7 games, with 8 TD's. If the Jacks can stop him, that will go a long way to winning this one. SDSU had only 63 yards rushing in that game.
Weymiller needed 42 carries to put up those SDSU numbers, though. Even with Weymiller, the Panthers ranked last in the MVFC in league play with 2.9 yards-per-carry. SDSU's run defense is sub-par, but UNI is still going to need more than just Weymiller running well to win this.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Marcus Weymiller came on the scene in the SDSU game and rushed for 170 yards and 2 TD's. Finished the season with 720 yards in the last 7 games, with 8 TD's. If the Jacks can stop him, that will go a long way to winning this one. SDSU had only 63 yards rushing in that game.
Weymiller needed 42 carries to put up those SDSU numbers, though. Even with Weymiller, the Panthers ranked last in the MVFC in league play with 2.9 yards-per-carry. SDSU's run defense is sub-par, but UNI is still going to need more than just Weymiller running well to win this.
Yeah. Eli Dunn’s sucks. He hasn’t thrown for 2500 yards in 10 games with 25 TDS or anything.

The UNI run game isn’t about averaging 5 yards per carry. It’s about forcing the defense to respect that it can run. The UNI backs have a good number of 10+ yard runs because the defense gets lazy on those “2.9 ypc”

It’s also about clock control. UNI picks up 6 yards in 2 runs. It’s 3rd and 4. That’s pretty manageable. And opens a ton of options up

That’s where watching games actually comes in handy. You can’t see those things from stats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

clenz wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Yeah. Eli Dunn’s sucks. He hasn’t thrown for 2500 yards in 10 games with 25 TDS or anything.

The UNI run game isn’t about averaging 5 yards per carry. It’s about forcing the defense to respect that it can run. The UNI backs have a good number of 10+ yard runs because the defense gets lazy on those “2.9 ypc”

It’s also about clock control. UNI picks up 6 yards in 2 runs. It’s 3rd and 4. That’s pretty manageable. And opens a ton of options up

That’s where watching games actually comes in handy. You can’t see those things from stats.
Uh, where did I say Eli Dunne sucks? :?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Guess what I was saying was, UNI turned the season around with Weymiller. If UNI can control the clock with Weymiller, things could get interesting in Brookings.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Guess what I was saying was, UNI turned the season around with Weymiller. If UNI can control the clock with Weymiller, things could get interesting in Brookings.
Oh, I know. The play of Weymiller has been important to their second-half turnaround. I just don't think he's something the Jackrabbits really have to be scared of—his longest run of the season is just 28 yards. UNI's running game is better now than it was early, but it still hasn't really been anything more than a "keeping them honest" counter. The Panther passing game and dissecting UNI's defense should be higher priorities, IMO.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Worth noting that Marcus led the MVFC in rushing at 112 yards per game during conference play.

Again, it's not the 10+ yard runs that UNI depends on.

It's clear you haven't watched a single UNI game.

FWIW, Adrian Peterson would have 24 carries in a game for the Vikings. 22 of them would go for 3 yards or less. It was the 1 big one he broke every game at got him yards.

With Marcus, most of his carries go for 4 yards or less. It's that he breaks 7-10 yard runs a couple times per game. Those aren't MASSIVE yards, but you sleep on the UNI run game and he picks up 10 to keep a drive going and all of a sudden your defense is back on the field for another 3 minutes. Jake, Dallas and Taryon aren't on the field putting up points.

Marcus isn't a burner. He doesn't make moves to make defenders miss. He's a straight down hill leg mover. He'd have a ton of big runs (20-25+) if he'd make a move or be a step or two faster. That's not who he is as a back. That's not what this offense needs.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote:Worth noting that Marcus led the MVFC in rushing at 112 yards per game during conference play.

Again, it's not the 10+ yard runs that UNI depends on.

It's clear you haven't watched a single UNI game.

FWIW, Adrian Peterson would have 24 carries in a game for the Vikings. 22 of them would go for 3 yards or less. It was the 1 big one he broke every game at got him yards.

With Marcus, most of his carries go for 4 yards or less. It's that he breaks 7-10 yard runs a couple times per game. Those aren't MASSIVE yards, but you sleep on the UNI run game and he picks up 10 to keep a drive going and all of a sudden your defense is back on the field for another 3 minutes. Jake, Dallas and Taryon aren't on the field putting up points.

Marcus isn't a burner. He doesn't make moves to make defenders miss. He's a straight down hill leg mover. He'd have a ton of big runs (20-25+) if he'd make a move or be a step or two faster. That's not who he is as a back. That's not what this offense needs.
:thumb: UNI's defense got a whole lot better when Marcus came back and the offense's TOP went up.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Jackrabbits up 34-14 with 4:17 to go.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SDSU wins 37-22.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gonna be SDSU @ JMU in the semis..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

??? for you MVFC folks. The 1st game UNI won @ SDSU by 20. Last night again @ SDSU, SDSU won by 15. Why was there that 35 point swing? Was UNI missing a bunch of injured players that were available for the 1st game? Or did SDSU have guys injured in the 1st game that were back for last night?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Weather may have been off that first game. Have to confirm with UNI or Jack fans.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BDKJMU wrote:??? for you MVFC folks. The 1st game UNI won @ SDSU by 20. Last night again @ SDSU, SDSU won by 15. Why was there that 35 point swing? Was UNI missing a bunch of injured players that were available for the 1st game? Or did SDSU have guys injured in the 1st game that were back for last night?
SDSU started playing a lot better after that point. I doubt that was injury related, but I could be wrong.
Thumper 76
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: South Dakota State

Post by Thumper 76 »

BDKJMU wrote:??? for you MVFC folks. The 1st game UNI won @ SDSU by 20. Last night again @ SDSU, SDSU won by 15. Why was there that 35 point swing? Was UNI missing a bunch of injured players that were available for the 1st game? Or did SDSU have guys injured in the 1st game that were back for last night?
Here’s the first half drives of the Hobo Day game that was miserably rainy, windy, and cold. It’s pretty easy to see what happened.

SDSU receives. 3&out
UNI 3&out
SDSU fumbles punt
UNI Possesion at SDSU 39-FG
SDSU throws INT that’s returned to their 3
UNI TD 10-0
SDSU gets 3 yds punt
UNI starts at SDSU 48 TD 17-0
SDSU fumbles at their 35
UNI turnover on downs @SDSU 20
After this SDSU scores a TD eventually, misses the XP, gets a UNI fumble, goes to kick a fg as the half expires and the snap goes through the holder’s hands. It was an absolute abortion. SDSU had 3 turnovers, a missed XP and a botched field goal that half I believe. On top of looking like they have never seen what a football before in their lives.

Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

clenz wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:

You said Dunne sucks what are his weaknesses he has NFL size 6'5 238 he threw for close to 2500 yds he is a junior he will be back.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
clenz wrote: Yeah. Eli Dunn’s sucks. He hasn’t thrown for 2500 yards in 10 games with 25 TDS or anything.

Uh, where did I say Eli Dunne sucks? :?
Good question I asked him as well about Dunne.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

South Dakota St has a redshirt frosh QB ALEC CROOMER 6'5 230 be on the lookout for him for the next 3 yrs.