Football Championship Subdivision discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

I-AA Polls

Post by 89Hen »

After running the AGS Poll for so many years I've been completely uninterested in the I-AA polls the last several years. I'm sure it has something to do with with the Hens being absent, but it's really a case of being burnt out listening to the dummies who vote and don't really put in the time.

That said, here is the most recent STATS Poll.

1 James Madison (160) 5-0 4192 1
2 North Dakota State (8) 5-0 4038 2
3 Jacksonville State 4-1 3718 3
4 South Dakota 5-0 3629 4
5 Wofford 5-0 3484 5
6 Central Arkansas 4-1 3325 6
7 South Dakota State 4-1 3054 9
8 Youngstown State 3-2 2990 10
9 Sam Houston State 4-1 2924 11
10 Eastern Washington 4-2 2730 13
11 Villanova 4-2 2329 12
12 New Hampshire 4-1 2156 14
13 Richmond 3-2 2012 19
14 Western Illinois 4-1 1967 7
15 North Carolina A&T 6-0 1803 15
16 Elon 5-1 1696 8
17 Illinois State 4-1 1472 21
18 Weber State 4-1 1439 24
19 Samford 4-2 1251 NR
20 Grambling State 5-1 1038 23
21 Western Carolina 4-2 636 22
22 McNeese 5-1 592 16
23 Citadel 3-2 498 NR
24 Montana 4-2 251 20
25 North Carolina Central 4-1 226 18
Others: Dartmouth (211) , Albany (199) , Northern Arizona (136) , Stony Brook (127) , Nicholls (104) , Delaware (81) , Tennessee State (74) , Monmouth (44) , Eastern Illinois (25) , Columbia (23) , Liberty (19) ,Charleston Southern (18) , UNI (16) , Kennesaw State (16) , Colgate (9) , UT Martin (8) , Princeton (7) , Duquesne (7) , Mercer (7) , Austin Peay (6) , Alcorn State (6) , Furman (3) , UC Davis (3) , Saint Francis U (1)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: I-AA Polls

Post by AZGrizFan »

So Montana FELL 4 spots after winning on the road?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote:So Montana FELL 4 spots after winning on the road?
Haven't been paying attention, but I think Montana is unranked in the coaches poll.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

The AGS poll is consistently better than coaches' or STATS. Even if 89 isn't running it anymore. ;)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... 10-09-2017
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Grizalltheway wrote:The AGS poll is consistently better than coaches' or STATS. Even if 89 isn't running it anymore. ;)

I left it in good shape. 8-) :D

And yes, my passing interest was somewhat to see if the Hens were actually receiving votes. When I saw The Citadel in the rankings, I thought to myself that if they're ranked, the Hens should be too. I'm not sure the Hens actually are a Top 25 team, but they're better than some of the ones that were in the STATS and Coaches polls.
Last edited by 89Hen on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

ORV!!! We're almost legit again baby!!!
Proletarians of the world, unite!
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Rob Iola wrote:ORV!!! We're almost legit again baby!!!
:lol:

We know how you feel. :oops:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Rob Iola wrote:ORV!!! We're almost legit again baby!!!
Who are you kidding? Nicholls, whatever the fuck that is, would kick our ass, and apparently Dartmouth would tear us a new hole in it. Seems legit.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

App State & ODU aren't even ranked?? HAHA you guys suck!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:The AGS poll is consistently better than coaches' or STATS. Even if 89 isn't running it anymore. ;)

I left it in good shape. 8-) :D

And yes, my passing interest was somewhat to see if the Hens were actually receiving votes. When I saw The Citadel in the rankings, I thought to myself that if they're ranked, the Hens should be too. I'm not sure the Hens actually are a Top 25 team, but they're better than some of the ones that were in the STATS and Coaches polls.
I ranked UD and Montana in both polls (AGS and STATS).

As a rule I try hard to not rank non-playoff conference teams but I do have NCA&T ranked (they can technically still compete).

Weber, WCU, and Elon are too low in the Coaches. :twocents:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: I left it in good shape. 8-) :D

As a rule I try hard to not rank non-playoff conference teams but I do have NCA&T ranked (they can technically still compete).

You're a STATS poll voter?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote:So Montana FELL 4 spots after winning on the road?
No. Montana was unranked last week. Not sure where the "20" comes from.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:

You're a STATS poll voter?
Yes. And I throw my WC(b) around ruthlessly! :thumb:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

89Hen wrote:After running the AGS Poll for so many years I've been completely uninterested in the I-AA polls the last several years. I'm sure it has something to do with with the Hens being absent, but it's really a case of being burnt out listening to the dummies who vote and don't really put in the time.
I stopped being involved in the AGS poll because after making an honest effort to assess teams I got criticized for putting too many teams from one conference in. In fact if I remember correctly my submission got rejected because of that. I DID put in the time to do a lot of research and I ended up putting a bunch of CAA teams in it. This was back when the CAA was clearly the strongest conference. I started off with a process for picking teams with the attitude of "let the chips fall where they may" once I implemented the process.

Then I got pushback for putting too many teams from one conference in my poll. Never mind that I am clearly a Southland Conference fan and the conference involved wasn't the Southland. So I said to hell with it and quit participating.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Not thrilled with the Manure Pile getting ORV, and the Hornets are not....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: You're a STATS poll voter?
Well, there obviously are a lot of retards voting in that poll (not you I assume).

Team A (5-1/3-0) wins @ Team B (3-2/1-1) then Team A would logically be ahead of Team B, right? Well, the retards in the Stats Poll have Team B ranked 13, and Team A ranked 16. ZERO logical explanation for that.

The Coaches Poll is even more retarded. Team A is ranked 20th, while team B is ranked 13th. They should have it flipped.

Well, AGS I see does have it flipped. Team A is 13th, and Team B is 18th. What that tells me is the Stats and Coaches Polls are as worthless as titties on a bull, and the AGS poll at least makes some sense..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:
Well, there obviously are a lot of retards voting in that poll (not you I assume).

Team A (5-1/3-0) wins @ Team B (3-2/1-1) then Team A would logically be ahead of Team B, right? Well, the retards in the Stats Poll have Team B ranked 13, and Team A ranked 16. ZERO logical explanation for that.

The Coaches Poll is even more retarded. Team A is ranked 20th, while team B is ranked 13th. They should have it flipped.

Well, AGS I see does have it flipped. Team A is 13th, and Team B is 18th. What that tells me is the Stats and Coaches Polls are as worthless as titties on a bull, and the AGS poll at least makes some sense..
In the ranking composite at https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm Team A is ranked 14th and Team B is ranked 18th. I know people can find individual systems that go into that composite that have weird outcomes. But overall I view it as the most credible ranking I know of. It would be more credible if they left human polls out of it. But the number of human polls involved is small enough to keep them from compromising the results too much.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: You're a STATS poll voter?
Are you a media person? I thought you had to be a media person to be a STATS voter.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
kalm wrote:
Are you a media person? I thought you had to be a media person to be a STATS voter.
I am. At least if that means getting paid a pittance, having press credentials, and a wife who yells at me for spending hours each week at this stuff. :mrgreen:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

JohnStOnge wrote:
89Hen wrote:After running the AGS Poll for so many years I've been completely uninterested in the I-AA polls the last several years. I'm sure it has something to do with with the Hens being absent, but it's really a case of being burnt out listening to the dummies who vote and don't really put in the time.
I stopped being involved in the AGS poll because after making an honest effort to assess teams I got criticized for putting too many teams from one conference in. In fact if I remember correctly my submission got rejected because of that. I DID put in the time to do a lot of research and I ended up putting a bunch of CAA teams in it. This was back when the CAA was clearly the strongest conference. I started off with a process for picking teams with the attitude of "let the chips fall where they may" once I implemented the process.

Then I got pushback for putting too many teams from one conference in my poll. Never mind that I am clearly a Southland Conference fan and the conference involved wasn't the Southland. So I said to hell with it and quit participating.
For me, it was fun being a voter in the AGS poll. However, bigger priorities came, mainly trying to generate interest in PSU athletics (and FCS in general) in Pac-12 crazy Portland, that I was running out of time trying to evaluate Samford or Yale or Northern Arizona for my 25th spot. I just could not devote as much time as I wanted, and still do my power rankings, keep Portland somewhat interested in PSU athletics, and also follow the Blazers, so I dropped out of the AGS poll.

That said, I would recommend people participate in the AGS poll at least once. It does force you to follow teams from outside your conference and your area, and thus gives you a greater knowledge of FCS as a whole.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JALMOND wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

For me, it was fun being a voter in the AGS poll. However, bigger priorities came, mainly trying to generate interest in PSU athletics (and FCS in general) in Pac-12 crazy Portland, that I was running out of time trying to evaluate Samford or Yale or Northern Arizona for my 25th spot. I just could not devote as much time as I wanted, and still do my power rankings, keep Portland somewhat interested in PSU athletics, and also follow the Blazers, so I dropped out of the AGS poll.

That said, I would recommend people participate in the AGS poll at least once. It does force you to follow teams from outside your conference and your area, and thus gives you a greater knowledge of FCS as a whole.
:nod:

And the poll threads and Superman's how they fared thread and spreadsheet are outstanding for checking your rankings.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
I am. At least if that means getting paid a pittance, having press credentials, and a wife who yells at me for spending hours each week at this stuff. :mrgreen:
Well, that's still more than I get. :?
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

kalm wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Beat writer for the Cheney Plain Dealer?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Grizalltheway wrote:
kalm wrote:
Beat writer for the Cheney Plain Dealer?
The Medical Lake Journal? :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

In the ranking composite at https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm Team A is ranked 14th and Team B is ranked 18th. I know people can find individual systems that go into that composite that have weird outcomes. But overall I view it as the most credible ranking I know of. It would be more credible if they left human polls out of it. But the number of human polls involved is small enough to keep them from compromising the results too much.
Christ, here we go again. John, just STOP until you man up and put your computers up against the humans. Massey is a giant turd.