The KuppAngeles Rams

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: The KuppAngeles Rams

Post by Silenoz »

Anyone draft Kupp in fantasy? I'm thinking about targeting him rounds 12 or 13, if he makes it that far (I play with mostly Bobcat fans so I assume they all know who he is)
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

He's playing but I wouldn't say he's creating a "greatest receiver to come out of I-AA/FCS ever" impression. So far he hasn't started a game and has 17 catches. Today he had a drop on the Rams' potential game winning TD (https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/8/1644 ... e-seahawks).

Just to compare him to a I-AA/FCS receiver who came out without much fanfare: Marques Colston came out of Hofstra and as a rookie in 2006 ended up starting 12 games during what was then a 14 game season. Had 70 catches in the 14 game season. If Cupp continues at the rate of his first five games he'll end up with 54 in a 16 game season.

Not that 54 catches in a season is bad. But this "greatest receiver to come out of I-AA/FCS" stuff is a bunch of crap. He's nowhere near the level of people like Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, and Randy Moss.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:He's playing but I wouldn't say he's creating a "greatest receiver to come out of I-AA/FCS ever" impression. So far he hasn't started a game and has 17 catches. Today he had a drop on the Rams' potential game winning TD (https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/8/1644 ... e-seahawks).

Just to compare him to a I-AA/FCS receiver who came out without much fanfare: Marques Colston came out of Hofstra and as a rookie in 2006 ended up starting 12 games during what was then a 14 game season. Had 70 catches in the 14 game season. If Cupp continues at the rate of his first five games he'll end up with 54 in a 16 game season.

Not that 54 catches in a season is bad. But this "greatest receiver to come out of I-AA/FCS" stuff is a bunch of crap. He's nowhere near the level of people like Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, and Randy Moss.
He owns 13 FCS records including career marks for receptions, receiving yards, and TD's. And those were against an FCS power conference schedule plus 4 PAC 12 teams including pro-bowler Marcus Peters. His per game averages against the PAC 12 were better than his overall numbers.

I don't recall anyone predicting he would eclipse Rice's NFL career, but he was the clearly the best receiver to ever come out of the FCS using statistics and SOS as the metrics.

I remember when you used to rely on facts rather than emotion... :ohno:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Big miss on that 3rd down play at the end of the game, though. Would've really upped his status if he could've pulled in that catch.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Silenoz wrote:Anyone draft Kupp in fantasy? I'm thinking about targeting him rounds 12 or 13, if he makes it that far (I play with mostly Bobcat fans so I assume they all know who he is)
Convinced my son to take him...he's very happy. :lol: Then again, his starting QB is Rothlesberger....so there's that.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:He's playing but I wouldn't say he's creating a "greatest receiver to come out of I-AA/FCS ever" impression. So far he hasn't started a game and has 17 catches. Today he had a drop on the Rams' potential game winning TD (https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/8/1644 ... e-seahawks).

He owns 13 FCS records including career marks for receptions, receiving yards, and TD's. And those were against an FCS power conference schedule plus 4 PAC 12 teams including pro-bowler Marcus Peters. His per game averages against the PAC 12 were better than his overall numbers.

I don't recall anyone predicting he would eclipse Rice's NFL career, but he was the clearly the best receiver to ever come out of the FCS using statistics and SOS as the metrics.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing!

And he's already ready to pass judgment after 5 games. :ohno:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

In Jerry Rices first season he had 11 drops (to lead the NFL in drops)
and 49 receptions with 3 TD's

Just an FYI
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

GannonFan wrote:Big miss on that 3rd down play at the end of the game, though. Would've really upped his status if he could've pulled in that catch.
I was stuck starting him and Goff in fantasy (don't ask) so I really could of used that one...
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote:

When it comes to this kind of thing I have ALWAYS said that the test is how a player does in the NFL. That's when you get the relevant facts with respect to how good they really are.

Again: You cannot with a straight face tell me that any NFL team, if given the choice between Randy Moss in his prime and Cooper Kupp in his prime, would choose Cooper Cupp. That's even with all of Randy Moss' personality problems. It's just ridiculous to say Cooper Cupp is the best receiver to ever come out of I-AA/FCS.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote:Big miss on that 3rd down play at the end of the game, though. Would've really upped his status if he could've pulled in that catch.
That miss was all Goff....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
kalm wrote:

When it comes to this kind of thing I have ALWAYS said that the test is how a player does in the NFL. That's when you get the relevant facts with respect to how good they really are.

Again: You cannot with a straight face tell me that any NFL team, if given the choice between Randy Moss in his prime and Cooper Kupp in his prime, would choose Cooper Cupp. That's even with all of Randy Moss' personality problems. It's just ridiculous to say Cooper Cupp is the best receiver to ever come out of I-AA/FCS.
Well we haven't seen Cooper Kupp in his prime, yet. Why is that simple concept so difficult for you to fucking grasp?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Well we haven't seen Cooper Kupp in his prime, yet. Why is that simple concept so difficult for you to **** grasp?
Come on, Moss was fantastic from day 1. Kupp may end up being a great receiver, and I think he will, but Moss was on a different planet. Talent-wise and personality-wise.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: The KuppAngeles Rams

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Well we haven't seen Cooper Kupp in his prime, yet. Why is that simple concept so difficult for you to **** grasp?
Come on, Moss was fantastic from day 1. Kupp may end up being a great receiver, and I think he will, but Moss was on a different planet. Talent-wise and personality-wise.
True but it's already been pointed out that Rice had a slow start. Not that Kupp is going to end in the same category as Rice but it does show that it's too early to call him a bust. IMO Kupp has the potential to surpass Owens at #3 on the list of I-AA/FCS receivers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
True but it's already been pointed out that Rice had a slow start. Not that Kupp is going to end in the same category as Rice but it does show that it's too early to call him a bust. IMO Kupp has the potential to surpass Owens at #3 on the list of I-AA/FCS receivers.

Who's calling him a bust? He's having a nice rookie year. He'll be in the league, barring injuries, for many years to come. Just because he's no Randy Moss doesn't make him a bust.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:True but it's already been pointed out that Rice had a slow start. Not that Kupp is going to end in the same category as Rice but it does show that it's too early to call him a bust. IMO Kupp has the potential to surpass Owens at #3 on the list of I-AA/FCS receivers.

Who's calling him a bust? He's having a nice rookie year. He'll be in the league, barring injuries, for many years to come. Just because he's no Randy Moss doesn't make him a bust.
You did. By not declaring him the unanimous number one WR to ever grace a I-AA field you are in essence calling him a bust. Don't you know how this works?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The KuppAngeles Rams

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
You did. By not declaring him the unanimous number one WR to ever grace a I-AA field you are in essence calling him a bust. Don't you know how this works?
Lighten up Hen. That was meant for JSO. He has pretty much decided that because Kupp isn't fast he is going to be a bust and his slow start is proof.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
89Hen wrote: You did. By not declaring him the unanimous number one WR to ever grace a I-AA field you are in essence calling him a bust. Don't you know how this works?
Lighten up Hen. That was meant for JSO. He has pretty much decided that because Kupp isn't fast he is going to be a bust and his slow start is proof.

Hen is the unanimous number one curmudgeon to ever grace a message board! :mrgreen:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

So, according to JSO, speed is more important than route precision and great hands?

Then I guess Ray Berry and Steve Largent were busts....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
(in my best DiNiro voice) You talking to me??? I'm sure I never said that. :coffee:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote:
89Hen wrote: You did. By not declaring him the unanimous number one WR to ever grace a I-AA field you are in essence calling him a bust. Don't you know how this works?

Then quote JSO next time. :geek:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Update:

56 receptions ranks 17th among WR's
783 yards 17th
4 TDs 24th
14.0 ypc 20th

He's the Ram's leading receiver in both yards and catches and the Rams are 8th in total offense.

Solid rookie season so far.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

He's having a pretty good season. Got to see him play in person last year at the Fargodome. Very versatile, as he lined up just about anywhere on the field. Great hands, and quick moves to get open.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

Gil Dobie wrote:He's having a pretty good season. Got to see him play in person last year at the Fargodome. Very versatile, as he lined up just about anywhere on the field. Great hands, and quick moves to get open.
No one can stick with him out there now, makes me feel better about him being wide open on every single play against us for 4 years
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Silenoz wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:He's having a pretty good season. Got to see him play in person last year at the Fargodome. Very versatile, as he lined up just about anywhere on the field. Great hands, and quick moves to get open.
No one can stick with him out there now, makes me feel better about him being wide open on every single play against us for 4 years
Yep. It's also much easier to appreciate and enjoy his talents. :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:Ok I'll go ahead and stick my neck out and say what I think we can expect. I think you guys over rate him. I've watched him over the years and I don't think he's anywhere near the top of the list in terms of the best receivers to come out of I-AA/FCS. I think he will play. But his best 40 at the combine was 4.62 seconds. He's downright slow by NFL wide receiver standards.

I'll go ahead and say I don't think he's ever going to amount to much in the NFL. But the nice thing is that if it turns out that he does you guys can link this post and tell me how wrong I was.
He just caught another TD. He's already past Rice's rookie season catches and TD's and might get close to yardage. He won't get close to Moss's rookie year though. Still a good start.