Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 9-25

Post by JALMOND »

So one week down in the conference season and some things may be coming in to view. I stress "may" as it could all change next week. But, really, when you have your two usual heavyweights going at it right off the bat in EWU and Montana, how much are you going to learn? Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Some things are emerging, but still very cloudy.

1. Weber State (1)---Last week beat UC-Davis at home 41-3, this week at Montana State---The Wildcats turned away the Aggies in big fashion last weekend. They seem to be one of the top teams so far in the conference. This week is a true test however, and on the road.

2. Montana State (4)---Last week, won at North Dakota 49-21, this week Weber State at home---Some people thought the Bobcats had a chance on the road last week, but people would have not thought it would be as easy as it seemed. Things may get tough this weekend.

3. Eastern Washington (7)---Last week won at Montana 48-41, this week Sacramento State at home---Never say die is what propelled the Eagles to a stunning come from behind, impressive road win last week. Have they turned the corner? They get one of the many conference upstarts this week.

4. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week won at Cal Poly 28-10, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Lumberjacks have been hit hard by injuries but they still have Cookus chucking the football around and a defense that kept their opponent at bay. They get a strong test this weekend.

5. Montana (5)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home 48-41, this week at Portland State---Heartbreaking, to say the least for the Grizzlies to go down the way they did. They still tried to salvage the win but came up just short. They head out on the road this weekend, hoping for better results.

6. North Dakota (3)---Last week lost to Montana State at home 49-21, this week at UC-Davis---The injuries keep piling up for the Hawks and they lost their other stud corner during the game last week. Injuries are a part of the game and the Hawks need to find a way to recover.

7. Sacramento State (13)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 54-27, this week at Eastern Washington---The best kept secret in the conference may be the fast and physical Hornet defense that has kept the team within their games so far. Now the offense is beginning to come around.

8. Southern Utah (2)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 54-27, this week bye---The Thunderbirds were looking really impressive in their non-conference games only to run in to a buzzsaw last weekend. They are the odd team out this weekend as they get a bye.

9. Northern Colorado (12)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 43-42, this week at Northern Arizona---The Bears seemed to have the game in hand last week, only to watch Idaho State come back and make it a game. Even so, the Bears got the win on a last second field goal.

10. Idaho State (9)---Last week lost at Northern Colorado 43-42, this week Cal Poly at home---The Bengals recovered and thought they had the game in had only to watch a last second field goal go through. Dejected, they return home suddenly as a favorite to win this week.

11. UC-Davis (8)---Last week lost at Weber State 41-3, this week North Dakota at home---The euphoria of the win the previous week went quickly away for the Aggies as they were never really in the game. This season now has questions as they face one of the top teams in the conference.

12. Portland State (10)---Last week bye, this week Montana at home---After coming back down to earth the previous week, the Vikings took a week off to right the ship and get refocused. They get the mighty Montana team this weekend at home, well, Hillsboro.

13. Cal Poly (11)---Last week lost to Northern Arizona at home 28-10, this week at Idaho State---What happened to the Mustangs? They get to face basically a MASH unit and got mashed themselves. They can't be this bad, can they? They need a win this weekend.

RECAP: 1-2 edging out front, 3-7 keeping pace, 8-10 right there, 11-13 bringing up the rear.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 9-25

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:4. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week won at Cal Poly 28-10, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Lumberjacks have been hit hard by injuries but they still have Cookus chucking the football around and a defense that kept their opponent at bay. They get a strong test this weekend.
That WIU loss doesn't look quite as bad now after what they did to CCU. Still… with Emmanuel Butler out for the season, NAU's ceiling seems a bit lower.
cats2506
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: MSU Bobcats

Post by cats2506 »

I would swap MSU and EWU, I think the win in mizzoula is better that the one in Grand Forks.

I think that 4-8 is very close and some below that still have the ability to make some noise.

probably going to be another 2 weeks before the BSC settles in some kind of order
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
JALMOND wrote:4. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week won at Cal Poly 28-10, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Lumberjacks have been hit hard by injuries but they still have Cookus chucking the football around and a defense that kept their opponent at bay. They get a strong test this weekend.
That WIU loss doesn't look quite as bad now after what they did to CCU. Still… with Emmanuel Butler out for the season, NAU's ceiling seems a bit lower.

That's pretty much my assessment. WIU looks to be a top team in the country. Loss of Butler is a killer.
:thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I'd go with Sac at 5 and swap CP and PSU. Otherwise no arguments here.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SDHornet wrote:I'd go with Sac at 5 and swap CP and PSU. Otherwise no arguments here.
I'm still clinging to the two good showings by PSU against the Power 5 opponents. Also, Poly's loss to Colgate is looking worse every week. But really, we are talking about the last two spots. It's similar to reading some Blazer fan posts of who is going to get the 15th roster spot. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

JALMOND wrote:
SDHornet wrote:I'd go with Sac at 5 and swap CP and PSU. Otherwise no arguments here.
I'm still clinging to the two good showings by PSU against the Power 5 opponents. Also, Poly's loss to Colgate is looking worse every week. But really, we are talking about the last two spots. It's similar to reading some Blazer fan posts of who is going to get the 15th roster spot. :lol:
PSU looked like total crap at home against a rebuilding davis team.

Forgot that CP lost to Colgate. :lol: I watched the first qtr of the CP-NAU game and they didn't look overly bad considering they dropped an early TD pass.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:
I agree that PSU should be above CP, but BYU isn't Power-5. Also, BYU & Oregon State have looked awful against FBS competition.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:I agree that PSU should be above CP, but BYU isn't Power-5.
You should try to explain that to all the BYU fans who think they are still at least on a par with Utah. :lol:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:
You should try to explain that to all the BYU fans who think they are still at least on a par with Utah. :lol:
OK, but that kind of delusional fan thinking applies to pretty much every FBS program. :lol:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
JALMOND wrote:
OK, but that kind of delusional fan thinking applies to pretty much every FBS program. :lol:
Not to the extent BYU fans do. BYU fans are just.....well......different :?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
I got that impression from trolling the BYU message boards before the first game. Even though it is true, you don't tell them they are not on the same level as Utah, unless you are prepared for a lecture. They won't return to the Mountain West because they would have to admit they are on the same level at Utah State (oh, perish the thought) and no longer are equal to Utah.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

JALMOND wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:
I got that impression from trolling the BYU message boards before the first game. Even though it is true, you don't tell them they are not on the same level as Utah, unless you are prepared for a lecture. They won't return to the Mountain West because they would have to admit they are on the same level at Utah State (oh, perish the thought) and no longer are equal to Utah.

BYU fans do actually think they are national title bound before each season starts, and they HATE the very idea that they are at the same level as Utah State
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:
JALMOND wrote:

BYU fans do actually think they are national title bound before each season starts, and they HATE the very idea that they are at the same level as Utah State
This year, at least, BYU fans better get used to the idea that they are on the same level as Weber State. :lol:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

JALMOND wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:

This year, at least, BYU fans better get used to the idea that they are on the same level as Weber State. :lol:
They would be so lucky :lol:
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Big Sky Power Rankings 9-25

Post by Jjoey52 »

JALMOND wrote:
You should try to explain that to all the BYU fans who think they are still at least on a par with Utah. Image

Utah, BYU thinks they are on a par with Clemson. Good to see them struggle this year. But they will be talking national title next year, one has to live in Utah to fully understand this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cats2506
Level2
Level2

Post by cats2506 »

I just read this page and replaced BYU with UM and it makes sense :thumb:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

cats2506 wrote:I just read this page and replaced BYU with UM and it makes sense :thumb:

:lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

cats2506 wrote:I just read this page and replaced BYU with UM and it makes sense :thumb:
except you won't find a lot of Griz fans predicting NC's right now....too easy to jump on the Bash Stitt wagon...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

How quickly you forget 2011 and 2012...oh wait, that's the last time you posted with any regularity. :rofl:
cats2506
Level2
Level2

Post by cats2506 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
except you won't find a lot of Griz fans predicting NC's right now....too easy to jump on the Bash Stitt wagon...
that quote said beginning of the season, a few weeks ago there was talk........
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Honest question for you AZGriz...Do you think (like a few over on egriz, and a couple of my griz buddies) That you guys can run the table the rest of the season, end at 9-2?
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

SACCAT wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Honest question for you AZGriz...Do you think (like a few over on egriz, and a couple of my griz buddies) That you guys can run the table the rest of the season, end at 9-2?
I know you weren't asking me, but I would say it's possible but not likely. 8-3 is more realistic goal.