Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 9-4

Post by JALMOND »

Well, what I thought was going to be a week when we start getting some answers ended up being a week where there seems to be more questions. Maybe that was to be expected as nine of the conference teams played FBS opponents, including five against the Pac-12., which led to a dismal showing by the conference overall. This week we get five games against the strong Missouri Valley conference, and twelve games total with Portland State taking the weekend off. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Oh, my.

1. North Dakota (1)---Last week, lost at (Pac-12) Utah 37-16, this week Missouri State (Mo Valley) at home---Not too perplexing was the outcome of the game as stepping up to the Pac-12 is a tall order for any FCS school, but the Hawks were pretty much shut down by Utah last week. They have their home opener this week, but a game that may not be really easy.

2. Northern Arizona (2)---Last week, lost at (Pac-12) Arizona 62-24, this week Western Illinois (Mo Valley) at home---The Lumberjacks did move the ball pretty well, but were unable to come up with points, therefore putting a lot of pressure on their inexperienced defense to hold down a Pac-12 offense. They also play the Missouri Valley at home this weekend.

3. Weber State (4)---Last week, beat (NAIA) Montana-Western 76-0, this week at (Pac-12) Cal---The Wildcats showed what it is like to schedule easy in the first game. A lot of offense, a strong defense, a lopsided win. But can they do similar things at the DI level?

4. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week, lost at (Big-12) Texas Tech 56-10, this week North Dakota State (Mo Valley) at home---Maybe because we are so used to seeing the Eagles hang tough with the FBS schools that made the final score rather surprising. But giving up so many points and scoring so few does not feel right. A good test this weekend for the Eagles.

5. Portland State (9)---Last week, lost at (Pac-12) Oregon State 35-32, this week bye---Surprising what ended up being the most competitive game involving conference teams was the Vikings stepping up and giving Oregon State quite the game. But they are still 0-2 which is where most people had them at the start of the season. They have the week off to find a kicker.

6. Montana State (5)---Last week, lost at (Pac-12) Washington State 31-0, this week South Dakota State (Mo Valley) at home---The Bobcats are not going to be mistaken for a passing team, but they will need to pass in order to give their strong running game a chance. They will need it to stay with a strong Missouri Valley opponent.

7. Montana (7)---Last week, beat Valparaiso (Pioneer) at home 45-23, this week at (Pac-12) Washington---Not surprising was the final score for the Grizzlies, but really surprising was how they got there. What should have been an easy game was not put away until the 4th quarter. And now they go on the road and play one of the strong FBS teams.

8. Cal Poly (8)---Last week, lost at (Mountain West) San Jose State 34-13, this week at (Missouri Valley) Northern Iowa---Likewise, the Mustangs will not be a strong passing team but they do seem to be having trouble running the ball. Not a trait to have when running is your specialty. And a road game into the Missouri Valley.

9. Southern Utah (6)---Last week, lost at (Pac-12) Oregon 77-21, this week at (Southland) Stephen F Austin---Not surprising was fact that the Thunderbirds lost, but they could not get anything going, especially in the second half. Teams will make adjustments at halftime and the Thunderbirds have to as well.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week, beat (NAIA) College of Idaho 41-14, this week at (SEC) Florida---The Bears did what they were supposed to, jump out quickly on a lesser opponent and then play everyone. After playing a cupcake, they get to be the cupcake. No, that is not a typo. That is who they play.

11. Sacramento State (12)---Last week, lost to (Sun Belt) Idaho 28-6, this week (Southland) Incarnate Word at home---After Portland State's close loss to Oregon State, the next closest game in the conference was...the Hornets? Cal Poly maybe, but the Hornets may have found they have something in their defense.

12. UC-Davis (11)---Last week, lost to (Mountain West) San Diego State, this week (Pioneer) San Diego at home---A rude awakening for the Dan Hawkin's led Aggies team last week, that had two quick scores late to make the game seem closer. They bring in San Diego's other DI teem to their friendly confines this week.

13. Idaho State (13)---Last week, beat (DII) Western Oregon 37-6, this week at (Mountain West) Utah State---After a scary first half against a lesser opponent, the Bengals woke up, flexed their muscles and got a strong win. They will need to play a complete game when they enter the conference, as well as moving up a level.

RECAP: 1-2 leading, 3-7 right behind, 8-10 right there, 11-13 not that far off.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 9-4

Post by AZGrizFan »

Eastern showed me nothing (and I was AT the game) that would indicate they're in the top 4 in this conference. They've got LOTS of things to work on....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:Eastern showed me nothing (and I was AT the game) that would indicate they're in the top 4 in this conference. They've got LOTS of things to work on....
Agreed. But you could honestly say that about the 1st 4.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Lemme get this straight. #1 and #2 get their rears handed to them, and they stay put, while EWU loses ground with a similar result. And MSU only lost one spot after getting blanked by FCS-vulnerable Wazzu?

I know the first few weeks are always tough, but (IMO) about the only thing you got right was that push for PSU. Heck, I just might have PSU in the driver's seat (though OSU is ALSO FCS-vulnerable).

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.