Wofford 24 Furman 23 FINAL

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
hitchinaride
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Western Carolina

Wofford 24 Furman 23 FINAL

Post by hitchinaride »

Paladins miss a 2 pt conversion that would've won it. Good showing Furman.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Wofford 24 Furman 23 FINAL

Post by CID1990 »

What is it with Firmun and going for two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

CID1990 wrote:What is it with Firmun and going for two?

:lol: Rarely works out well.

This time it was the right decision. Furman D was gassed in the 4th qtr. Don't think we could have won in OT. The trick play would have been a stunner if it worked, but since it didn't most are howling about it.

Oh well better than I thought it would be. So, while cautiously optimistic, the caution factors has diminished somewhat.
Last edited by OL FU on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Wasn't that game traditionally a rivalry game that was played at the end of the season?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
OL FU
Level3
Level3

Post by OL FU »

Ivytalk wrote:Wasn't that game traditionally a rivalry game that was played at the end of the season?
No, typically it was The Citadel. Charlie Taffe blew the end of the season series when he took The Citadel to the playoffs for a few years and didn't want to expend the energy play the rival game before the playoffs started. Then, of course, he was fired and El Cid went out of site for years. Wofford is 25 miles from Furman andI think this is the rivalry of the future. Woffies have typically considered Furman a rival. Furmmies haven't quite yet reciprocated although it is getting closer since recently they have had our number.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

OL FU wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Wasn't that game traditionally a rivalry game that was played at the end of the season?
No, typically it was The Citadel. Charlie Taffe blew the end of the season series when he took The Citadel to the playoffs for a few years and didn't want to expend the energy play the rival game before the playoffs started. Then, of course, he was fired and El Cid went out of site for years. Wofford is 25 miles from Furman andI think this is the rivalry of the future. Woffies have typically considered Furman a rival. Furmmies haven't quite yet reciprocated although it is getting closer since recently they have had our number.
Thanks for the history, OL FU. I knew how close Wofford is to Furman as the crow flies, so I just assumed that was your "big game."
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
OL FU
Level3
Level3

Post by OL FU »

Ivytalk wrote:
OL FU wrote:
Thanks for the history, OL FU. I knew how close Wofford is to Furman as the crow flies, so I just assumed that was your "big game."
On the other hand, I Will be glad when Ayers retires :(
The Cats
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: WCU
A.K.A.: The Cats

Post by The Cats »

I haven't decided if Furman is better than advertised or Wofford was over rated, or just a little of both.
OL FU
Level3
Level3

Post by OL FU »

The Cats wrote:I haven't decided if Furman is better than advertised or Wofford was over rated, or just a little of both.
Also, it's the first game. Now part of that makes me feel better about Furman. The main difference is that we came to play where last year many times we didn't. I think you can give a little deference to Wofford since it was the first game.

Time will tell.
OL FU
Level3
Level3

Post by OL FU »

Also related to early season or one game interpretations (and nothing I say here means I am not optimistic), last year while Furman didn't win an early season game, some were giving us more credit than we deserved playing Citadel close, Chatt decent and Michigan State decent. It wasn't until Kennesaw handed our asses to us that reality hit. Even then later in the season we played Wofford to a touchdown ( a game that we could've won) so as I said, Time will tell.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I don't see any way that Wofford's defense has somehow fallen off from last year. They are pretty much the same team. Maybe there was some early season rust, but my inclination would be to say firmun has improved.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris