Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 8-21

Post by JALMOND »

Hardly out of the middle of August and we are talking football already. Cal Poly and Portland State both get the jump on the rest of the conference, playing this weekend in what is typically called Week 0. It mainly forces all the pundits to get their forecasts out early. As usual, the Big Sky looks like a big sandwich, solid on top and solid on the bottom, and a hodgepodge of questions in the middle. Here are this week's initial power rankings. With it being the first one, I'm sure it will generate plenty of discussion.

1. North Dakota Fighting Hawks---Even with their NFL caliber cornerback, Harris, missing this season with an injury, the Fighting Hawks are still the most complete team in the conference. While others have questions up and down their rosters, the Fighting Hawks should be ready to go out the gate. This week, off.

2. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---With Cookus healthy and Butler back, the Lumberjack offense should be ready to fire on all cylinders. If they can get help from the defense, they should be able to shine, but the offense has the power to outscore other teams. This week, off.

3. Eastern Washington Eagles---The Eagles bring Gubrud back, but most of the receivers and almost all the coaching staff are new. But in the Big Sky, an experienced quarterback can take a team pretty far and the Eagles has a good one. This week, off.

4. Cal Poly Mustangs---The Mustangs come in with their workhorse running back, Prothroe, back to lead the triple threat offense, a different flavor in the pass-happy Big Sky. Questions elsewhere but they get an early jump on everyone else. This week, Colgate (Patriot) at home.

5. Weber State Wildcats---Defense is the name of the game, at least early on for the Wildcats. Defense has been their main calling card for a few years now. How soon the offense can get going will determine how successful the season will be. This week, off.

6. Montana State Bobcats---The Bobcats seek to build on the momentum generated from a successful ending to last season as their young quarterback, Murray, led them to a win at Montana. If Murray can keep it going, watch for the Bobcats to be near the top. This week, off.

7. Southern Utah Thunderbirds---Maybe a bit low for the Thunderbirds to start, as they do have some great possibilities on both sides of the ball. They could be the sleeper team, similar to 2015 when they won the conference title. This week, off.

8. Montana Grizzlies---The Grizzlies this low? They are going to have to rely on their defense to keep them within striking distance as they try to find a quarterback and some play makers. The sooner they can find some, the better. This week, off.

9. Northern Colorado Bears---The last few years have seen the Bears go from laughingstock to a formidable conference opponent. This year, many questions mainly on defense. They will need to find some answers there in order to stay near the top. This week, off.

10. Portland State Vikings---Some good pieces coming in for the Vikings, but in order to win in the conference, you need either a great quarterback or a strong defense and the Vikings have questions at both. This week, at BYU (FBS Independent).

11. UC-Davis Aggies---Needing to get some help in a hurry, the Aggies found a top-notch coach in Hawkins to lead them. However, questions abound everywhere. The sooner they are answered, the sooner Hawkins can start rebuilding. This week, off.

12. Sacramento State Hornets---Between graduation and defections, the Hornets had an interesting summer. What they have now is possibilities but extremely low on experience. Maybe some diamonds, but this may be a rebuilding year. This week, off.

13. Idaho State Bengals---There may be no other way to describe the Bengals situation other than calling it simply a mess. There is some talent, but it is spotty and as soon as help can arrive, the better. They still have a week, however. This week, off.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 8-21

Post by kalm »

Jalmond....like the return of Orion... :thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Outside of the bottom three, the other 10 could be in just about any order at this point.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Thundernuts
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southern Utah

Post by Thundernuts »

Weber State has come a long way, Im looking forward to the game in Ogden against SUU, this has turned into a great little rivalry. SUU opens against Oregon, Im hoping they give a decent showing and come away with nearly half a million in their pocket to show for it. Should be a great season. Good luck to all the teams (except when they are playing my birds).
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Thundernuts wrote:Weber State has come a long way, Im looking forward to the game in Ogden against SUU, this has turned into a great little rivalry. SUU opens against Oregon, Im hoping they give a decent showing and come away with nearly half a million in their pocket to show for it. Should be a great season. Good luck to all the teams (except when they are playing my birds).
:+1:

Gotta give credit to the Athletic departments for both schools for helping to promote the Beehive Bowl and building it into the great Rivalry it deserves to be. Strong Rivalries are good for the Big Sky and College football in general. I will for sure be there on October 14th, wont want to miss it for the world.

The Beehive Bowl is also being Televised on the 11 Sports Network so it's cool that the game will be on National TV. Hopefully Weber wont need another 23 point comeback in this one. :thumb:

As far as the rankings go, not much to argue about, they look pretty solid at this point. Well done Jalmond
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

First off...This list looks good, except MSU should be in the #1 spot....Did you not read my post on them?

Second...Is the BYU/PSU game on TV?
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

SACCAT wrote:First off...This list looks good, except MSU should be in the #1 spot....Did you not read my post on them?

Second...Is the BYU/PSU game on TV?

Yes, ESPN
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Great run down J. :thumb:

Hornets should be pretty bad, but a soft home schedule means they "could" win a few games (between 2-4 IMO). The good news is Sears is more than likely gone after this season, so in the end it is a win for Hornet fans. :nod:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

SACCAT wrote:Is the BYU/PSU game on TV?
ESPN, right before the Chatty/J'Ville State game.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

1. EWU
2. UM

3. Everyone else....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SuperHornet wrote:1. EWU
2. UM

3. Everyone else....
This isn't 2012.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

AZGrizFan wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:1. EWU
2. UM

3. Everyone else....
This isn't 2012.
You mean when we went 5-6? :?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
This isn't 2012.
You mean when we went 5-6? :?
Yes, but PRE-2012 we weren't expected to go 5-6. See the difference? Subtle, I know...but I thought you were better than klammy with the whole "subtlety" thingy....
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: You mean when we went 5-6? :?
Yes, but PRE-2012 we weren't expected to go 5-6. See the difference? Subtle, I know...but I thought you were better than klammy with the whole "subtlety" thingy....
Sorry to let you down. In my defense, you should be used to it by now. :lol:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: You mean when we went 5-6? :?
Except EWU went 6-5 in 2011. The Griz shared the title with MSU, at least prior to the NCAA sanctions.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

The important thing is SH makes no sense
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Except EWU went 6-5 in 2011. The Griz shared the title with MSU, at least prior to the NCAA sanctions.
Good lord. Pick a year then. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Silenoz wrote:The important thing is SH makes no sense
That pretty much goes without saying at this point.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Based on yesterday's results looks like PSU and Cal Poly ought to maybe switch places...
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

AZGrizFan wrote:Based on yesterday's results looks like PSU and Cal Poly ought to maybe switch places...

I couldn't tell if Portland State was playing really well, or if BYU was just playing really bad, or if it was a combination of both.

Portland State looked decent at times defensively but they couldn't really move the ball.

BYU's defense looked stout but the offense looked lost at times.

I guess next week will be a better indication with PSU @ Oregon State and BYU playing LSU.