NAU
UM
SUU
Sac-State
PSA
UC-Davis
Northern Colorado
ISU

Here is why...Montana State has more Playmakers, speed, talent, height, short, size and non-size than any team I have ever seen!!! This includes Clemson and Alabama

QB: We have 5 or 6 or 7 QB's that wouldn't start at every other school that puts pads onto players and has them do football stuff on a field. Murry didn't throw well last year, because he didn't want teams being able to watch film on him before this year...He has one of the greatest QB's ever to play the game, teaching him the MAYBE one thing he didn't already know. Behind him are a handful of kids that all have Rocket Arms, that can throw on a dime, read the D, and have good feet. We should average about 500-600 passing yards a game...

RB: Again...have probably about 6 guys that can Tote the Rock. They all have great vision, lateral movement, run north/south, unless they have to run east/west, homerun speed. The only problem I see is, how are we going to get all these guys the ball. We should average about 300-400 rushing yards a game rushing

WR: Where do I even start with this group. Every one of them is Tall and can jump with GREAT hands, unless they need to be short and run great routes, and then they are that....Yes THEY ARE BOTH...Speed to burn you deep, but routs as crisp as a 2 dollar bill. The only real problem I see with this group is, at times they are to nice, and don't want to make every play themselves...I expect about 100 yards receiving PER WR per game

O-line: All over 6'6"...All over 330 lb's...All run about a 4.5 40...All pure muscle. Amazing thing is, even with that height, they actually "Play smaller" allowing the QB's a very clear line of sight. Probably won't give up a sack all year, unless they mean to so the other team gets penisy

D-Line: Here is where the Cats REALLY shine....We have big nastys in the middle (about 4 deep) and strong Speed rushers, who can also run stop, and know there assignments. all of them are engineer Majors, so they know trains as well. I expect about 6 sacks a game from this group

LB: Most of these guys should probably be D-end guys, but they are just to fast and strong, so they are LB. Cats are about 10 deep here, and most are running about a 4.3 40 at 6'4" 260. I expect about 6 Sacks and 3/4 INT's a game from this group

Secondary: We aren't very good here.
Hmmm....nothing about special teams?

I see a chink in the armor.

:coffee:
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Re: 2017 Big Sky Predictions

Post by SACCAT »

kalm wrote:
SACCAT wrote:Here is how I see it...

MSU
UND
EWU
Cal-Poly
Weber State
NAU
UM
SUU
Sac-State
PSA
UC-Davis
Northern Colorado
ISU

Here is why...Montana State has more Playmakers, speed, talent, height, short, size and non-size than any team I have ever seen!!! This includes Clemson and Alabama

QB: We have 5 or 6 or 7 QB's that wouldn't start at every other school that puts pads onto players and has them do football stuff on a field. Murry didn't throw well last year, because he didn't want teams being able to watch film on him before this year...He has one of the greatest QB's ever to play the game, teaching him the MAYBE one thing he didn't already know. Behind him are a handful of kids that all have Rocket Arms, that can throw on a dime, read the D, and have good feet. We should average about 500-600 passing yards a game...

RB: Again...have probably about 6 guys that can Tote the Rock. They all have great vision, lateral movement, run north/south, unless they have to run east/west, homerun speed. The only problem I see is, how are we going to get all these guys the ball. We should average about 300-400 rushing yards a game rushing

WR: Where do I even start with this group. Every one of them is Tall and can jump with GREAT hands, unless they need to be short and run great routes, and then they are that....Yes THEY ARE BOTH...Speed to burn you deep, but routs as crisp as a 2 dollar bill. The only real problem I see with this group is, at times they are to nice, and don't want to make every play themselves...I expect about 100 yards receiving PER WR per game

O-line: All over 6'6"...All over 330 lb's...All run about a 4.5 40...All pure muscle. Amazing thing is, even with that height, they actually "Play smaller" allowing the QB's a very clear line of sight. Probably won't give up a sack all year, unless they mean to so the other team gets penisy

D-Line: Here is where the Cats REALLY shine....We have big nastys in the middle (about 4 deep) and strong Speed rushers, who can also run stop, and know there assignments. all of them are engineer Majors, so they know trains as well. I expect about 6 sacks a game from this group

LB: Most of these guys should probably be D-end guys, but they are just to fast and strong, so they are LB. Cats are about 10 deep here, and most are running about a 4.3 40 at 6'4" 260. I expect about 6 Sacks and 3/4 INT's a game from this group

Secondary: We aren't very good here.
Hmmm....nothing about special teams?

I see a chink in the armor.

:coffee:
I did forget that didn't I...Our special teams are just that, SPECIAL. Problem Is, we will probably go for 2 every time...So you will only see us Kick off to the other team.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:Whatever you think about my Sac prediction, I'm still conditioned by recent years in terms of looking at other teams. Venus' idea that EWU will just barely squeak past .500 is even more nuts, IMO. I might well be "out there" as well in seeing EWU at 11-0, about the only "stretch" in that 11-0 (in my view, anyway) is Texas Tech. They should win just about every other game rather handily....
You do know they play both North Dakotas, right? And that they changed coaches? And that they lost all their receivers? They should still be a good team, but that non-conference schedule is pretty brutal.
Had a new OL and new QB last year coming off a 6-5 season, against a brutal schedule...

Plus, not like we've ever struggled at the WR position. Coaching staff changes will have the biggest impact on the season, IMO. I'm cautiously optimistic, enough so for 8-3 on the down side, 9-2 on the up side.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
You do know they play both North Dakotas, right? And that they changed coaches? And that they lost all their receivers? They should still be a good team, but that non-conference schedule is pretty brutal.
Had a new OL and new QB last year coming off a 6-5 season, against a brutal schedule...

Plus, not like we've ever struggled at the WR position. Coaching staff changes will have the biggest impact on the season, IMO. I'm cautiously optimistic, enough so for 8-3 on the down side, 9-2 on the up side.
:nod:

I was thinking 7-4 last year.

Coaching is the biggest question mark.

Stu Stiles and Nick Splendorio ripped two great defenses in UNI and NDSU on the road the last two seasons when Kupp went down in both games. With a big target in Terrence Grady, Webster returning and some younger talent behind them I think we'll be fine at WR.

TTU is no less winnable than WSU was. I'd expect another close game against NDSU. We should be road favorites against Montana and Fordham. We could go 0-4 to start but I can also see a path to 3-1.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

Stu Stiles and Nick Splendorio ripped two great defenses in UNI and NDSU on the road the last two seasons when Kupp went down in both games. With a big target in Terrence Grady, Webster returning and some younger talent behind them I think we'll be fine at WR.

TTU is no less winnable than WSU was. I'd expect another close game against NDSU. We should be road favorites against Montana and Fordham. We could go 0-4 to start but I can also see a path to 3-1.
Eastern should be "fine" at WR, but last year's Eagle team had arguably the best receiving corps in FCS history (almost 300 ypg from just Kupp, Bourne, & Hill). There's nowhere to go but down.

In theory, TTU should be no less beatable than Wazzu, but Wazzu played their last two Big Sky opponents noticeably worse than they did anyone else those seasons (they lost to PSU in 2015). Plus, there's the Texas heat & humidity…

The Fordham game may be tougher than you think. It's cross country, they have arguably the best RB in FCS, and it's at 10:00 AM Pacific time. How much the Eagle running game improves will likely be the deciding factor.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
kalm wrote:

Eastern should be "fine" at WR, but last year's Eagle team had arguably the best receiving corps in FCS history (almost 300 ypg from just Kupp, Bourne, & Hill). There's nowhere to go but down.

In theory, TTU should be no less beatable than Wazzu, but Wazzu played their last two Big Sky opponents noticeably worse than they did anyone else those seasons (they lost to PSU in 2015). Plus, there's the Texas heat & humidity…

The Fordham game may be tougher than you think. It's cross country, they have arguably the best RB in FCS, and it's at 10:00 AM Pacific time. How much the Eagle running game improves will likely be the deciding factor.
Agreed. We don't need to replace last year's insane production at wr if the running game materializes. With a veteran o-line, that's exactly the plan.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
kalm wrote:

EWU's "fine" at WR is typically as good if not better than most FCS teams' best WR corp ever. Nobody thought we could match the contributions of Nick Edwards, Brandon Kaufman, and Greg Herd when we lost those three. We just reload. :thumb:
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:

EWU's "fine" at WR is typically as good if not better than most FCS teams' best WR corp ever. Nobody thought we could match the contributions of Nick Edwards, Brandon Kaufman, and Greg Herd when we lost those three. We just reload. :thumb:
Not even the best receiving corp in the Big Sky...that goes to MSU....Didn't you read my prediction?
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:EWU's "fine" at WR is typically as good if not better than most FCS teams' best WR corp ever. Nobody thought we could match the contributions of Nick Edwards, Brandon Kaufman, and Greg Herd when we lost those three. We just reload. :thumb:
Sounds like something AZ used to say. Nothing lasts forever
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

89Hen wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:Here is my 2nd attempt at Predicting how the upcoming Big Sky season will pan out. I believe I did relatively well in my first attempt despite over and underestimating a few teams.
107-36 was pretty good Ryan. :thumb: :thumb: Probably a lot better than JSO's computers would have done, but he's not brave enough to put up the numbers.

I kinda hope I'm wrong on a few teams, especially Weber. Because I don't think Weber gets into the playoffs with the record I have for them despite playing one of the more difficult Big Sky schedules.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Silenoz wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:EWU's "fine" at WR is typically as good if not better than most FCS teams' best WR corp ever. Nobody thought we could match the contributions of Nick Edwards, Brandon Kaufman, and Greg Herd when we lost those three. We just reload. :thumb:
Sounds like something AZ used to say. Nothing lasts forever
It's lasted as long as I've been an EWU fan (2004). Eric Kimble, Aaron Boyce, Nick Edwards, Greg Herd, Brandon Kaufman, Cooper Kupp, Kendrick Bourne, Shaquille Hill....
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

SACCAT wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Not even the best receiving corp in the Big Sky...that goes to MSU....Didn't you read my prediction?
Reading it, and giving it any ounce of sincerity or respect are two completely different things.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
Reading it, and giving it any ounce of sincerity or respect are two completely different things.
Lighten up, Francis! SACCAT does some fine work!

A primer on the re-load...

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/a ... ivers-pre/
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

kalm wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Lighten up, Francis! SACCAT does some fine work!

A primer on the re-load...

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/a ... ivers-pre/
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
  • 1. North Dakota ________8-0____10-1_____ With 21 seniors, this is their big chance
    2. Northern Arizona ____7-1_____9-2_____ They have a golden opportunity with 2 MVFC home games
    3. Montana _____________6-2_____8-3_____ We know they'll start 2-1, at least
    4. Eastern Washington__6-2_____6-5_____ Eastern's playoff fate may hinge on that unusual game in the Bronx
    5. Cal Poly _____________5-3_____6-5_____ They don't look too good, but the last 7 games aren't at all daunting
    6. Montana State_______4-4_____5-6_____ If Murray can start hitting broadsides of barns, watch out
    7. Weber State__________4-4_____6-5_____ They could easily go undefeated at home & winless on the road
    8. Northern Colorado___3-5_____4-7_____ Fun fact: NoCo is one of only 3 Big Sky teams to play a non-DI
    9. Southern Utah _______3-5_____4-7_____ It's not good when Cal Poly is by far your easiest home game
    10.Portland State________2-6_____3-8_____ PSU's home slate isn't really any friendlier
    11.Sacramento State ____2-6_____3-8 _____ Sac's season may entirely depend on two offensive dropdowns
    12.Idaho State __________1-7_____2-9_____ It's rebuilding time in Pocatello… what else is new?
    13.UC Davis ____________1-7_____1-10____ At least they play Sac at the end…
  • 1. Southern Utah ____________7-1_____9-2_____+4/+5 vs. my predictions
    2. Weber State_______________7-1_____9-2_____+3/+3 vs. my predictions
    3. Eastern Washington_______6-2_____7-4_____0/+1 vs. my predictions
    4. Northern Arizona _________6-2_____7-4_____-1/-2 vs. my predictions
    5. Sacramento State _________6-2_____7-4_____+4/+4 vs. my predictions
    6. Montana State_____________5-3_____5-6_____+1/0 vs. my predictions
    7. Montana __________________5-3_____7-4_____-1/-1 vs. my predictions
    8. UC Davis _________________3-5_____5-6_____+2/+4 vs. my predictions
    9. North Dakota _____________2-6_____3-8_____-6/-7 vs. my predictions
    10.Northern Colorado________2-6_____3-7_____-1/-0.5 vs. my predictions
    11.Idaho State _______________2-6_____4-7_____+1/+2 vs. my predictions
    12.Cal Poly __________________1-7_____1-10____-4/-5 vs. my predictions
    13.Portland State_____________0-8_____0-11____-2/-3 vs. my predictions

Pretty rough, to be honest. I think this is the first year I haven't nailed a team dead on (I would've nailed the Griz if they'd beaten the Cats). So many weird, unexpected things: NoDak was decimated by injuries, Sac & Suutah came outta nowhere, Cal Poly was inexplicably terrible (and I was more bearish on them than most). Oh well, here's hoping for a more accurate 2018.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Re: Bests & Worsts Predictions

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

• Best Rushing Offense (preseason) - North Dakota
    Best Rushing Offense (reality) - Montana St.

Worst Rushing Offense (preseason) - UC Davis
    Worst Rushing Offense (reality) - Northern Colorado

Best Passing Offense (preseason) - Northern Arizona
    Best Passing Offense (reality) - UC Davis

Worst Passing Offense (preseason) - Cal Poly
    Worst Passing Offense (reality) - Cal Poly

Best Overall Offense (preseason) - Northern Arizona
    Best Overall Offense (reality) - Sacramento St.

Worst Overall Offense (preseason) - UC Davis
    Worst Overall Offense (reality) - Cal Poly

Best Run Defense (preseason) - North Dakota
    Best Run Defense (reality) - Weber St.

Worst Run Defense (preseason) - Northern Colorado
    Worst Run Defense (reality) - Portland St.

Best Pass Defense (preseason) - North Dakota
    Best Pass Defense (reality) - Northern Arizona

Worst Pass Defense (preseason) - Northern Colorado
    Worst Pass Defense (reality) - Cal Poly

Best Overall Defense (preseason) - North Dakota
    Best Overall Defense (reality) - Weber St.

Worst Overall Defense (preseason) - Northern Colorado
    Worst Overall Defense (reality) - Portland St.

Best Special Teams (preseason) - Montana St.
    Best Special Teams (reality) - Weber St.

Worst Special Teams (preseason) - Portland St.
    Worst Special Teams (reality) - Montana St.

Best Quarterback (preseason) - Case Cookus (NAU)
    Best Quarterback (reality) - Gage Gubrud (EWU)

Best Running Back (preseason) - Joe Protheroe (CP)
    Best Running Back (reality) - James Madison (ISU)

Best Wide Receiver (preseason) - Emmanuel Butler (NAU)
    Best Wide Receiver (reality) - Keelan Doss (UCD)

Best Tight End (preseason) - Andrew Vollert (WEB)
    Best Tight End (reality) - Andrew Vollert (WEB)

Best WR/TE Corps (preseason) - Northern Arizona
    Best WR/TE Corps (reality) - UC Davis

Best Offensive Lineman (preseason) - David Reese (UMT)
    Best Offensive Lineman (reality) - Skyler Phillips (ISU)

Best Offensive Line (preseason) - Northern Arizona
    Best Offensive Line (reality) - Montana St.

Best Defensive Lineman (preseason) - Robert Torgerson (SUU)
    Best Defensive Lineman (reality) - Tucker Schye (UMT)

Best Defensive Line (preseason) - Southern Utah
    Best Defensive Line (reality) - Sacramento St.

Best Linebacker (preseason) - Josh Buss (UMT)
    Best Linebacker (reality) - Josh Buss (UMT)

Best LB Corps (preseason) - Montana
    Best LB Corps (reality) - Montana

Best Defensive Back (preseason) - Cole Reyes (UND)
    Best Defensive Back (reality) - Dre Terrell (SAC)

Best Secondary (preseason) - North Dakota
    Best Secondary (reality) - Northern Arizona

Best Kicker (preseason) - Reid Taubenheim (UND)
    Best Kicker (reality) - Devon Medeiros (SAC)

Best Punter (preseason) - Jacob DeMaio (WEB)
    Best Punter (reality) - Jacob DeMaio (WEB)

Best Ret. Specialist (preseason) - John Santiago (UND)
    Best Ret. Specialist (reality) - Rashid Shaheed (WEB)

Best Return Teams (preseason) - Montana St.
    Best Return Teams (reality) - Weber St.

Best Cover Teams (preseason) - (none)
    Best Cover Teams (reality) - Weber St.

Best Coaching Job (preseason) - (none)
    Best Coaching Job (reality) - Jody Sears (SAC)
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:Here is my 2nd attempt at Predicting how the upcoming Big Sky season will pan out. I believe I did relatively well in my first attempt despite over and underestimating a few teams. Well here it goes.

Cal Poly Mustangs - 6-5, 5-3
Colgate- W
@ San Jose State- L
@ Northern Iowa- L
Northern Arizona- L
@ Idaho State- W
@ Southern Utah- L
Weber State- W
@ UC Davis- W
Portland State- W
Sacramento State- W
@ Northern Colorado- L