THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

College Hoops discussion
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Post by vutomcat »

Villanova will be in the 2017 Battle 4 Atlantis- (my November vacation destination)

NC State whiteboard gave us the tip about 55 weeks ago that the Villanova Wildcats would be returning to the Bahamas. All was quiet on that front until Wednesday night when CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein provided the report that the 'Cats will be heading to the Battle 4 Atlantis in November 2017.

'Nova will be joined by the Arizona Wildcats, the Big Ten's Purdue Boilermakers (for the second consecutive pre-season), a 2015 NCAA re-match against the North Carolina State Wolfpack, the Tennessee Volunteers, Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, and Northern Iowa Panthers (potential FCS matchup!).

Founded in 2011, the Battle 4 Atlantis is a relatively young preseason exempt tournament, but its offering of unprecedented riches to participants has advanced it into one of the elite early-season events in college hoops. The Battle awards over $2 million to participating teams annually.

Villanova won the 2013 Battle 4 Atlantis by defeating Southern California, Kansas, and Iowa.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Crazy that Kris Jenkins last second buzzer beater to win a National Championship didn't win the ESPY award for best play. :evil:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:Crazy that Kris Jenkins last second buzzer beater to win a National Championship didn't win the ESPY award for best play. :evil:
Nah, the real injustice was that the Michigan St punt block for a TD didn't win it, that was the better play. Heck, I'd even put the Ronda Rousey being knocked out as a better play too, that was huge.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

GannonFan wrote:
vutomcat wrote:Crazy that Kris Jenkins last second buzzer beater to win a National Championship didn't win the ESPY award for best play. :evil:
Nah, the real injustice was that the Michigan St punt block for a TD didn't win it, that was the better play. Heck, I'd even put the Ronda Rousey being knocked out as a better play too, that was huge.
Plenty of better plays than the nova guy with a wide open shot while the opponent didn't play defense.

Usually a, "best play" clip involves skill without the opponent bumbling around and offering no resistance.

Now, if you want a dumbest play of the year, then sure, play the clip where nova's opponents collectively decide to let nova get an open look at the basket. That was, indeed, the dumbest play of the year, not even close to being the best. :nod:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

dbackjon wrote:Top 10 conferences: 10) MAC, 9) WCC <gap> 8) AAC, 7) A-10 <gap>
6) SEC <gap> 5) Pac12, 4) B1G, 3) Big East, 2) Big 12, 1) ACC

https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/7 ... 7509216256

And in the fourth year of the new Big East.... still one of the elite conferences and that starts with the defending champs.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

UCONN TO THE BIG EAST A LONGSHOT BUT THERE IS SOME MUTUAL INTEREST

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2016/8 ... 1462211654
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

4-star wing Jermaine Samuels commits to Villanova

Samuels is a 4-star 6’6" wing who attends The Rivers School (Mass.) and played for Expressions Elite (Mass.) on the Nike EYBL circuit. He's ranked #44 in the 247 Composite. With Josh Hart and Kris Jenkins set to graduate, he fills a position of need and should compete for early playing time when he arrives on campus.
More: Buy New Villanova Gear!
Samuels took an official visit to Villanova which went well, but a Duke offer during the visit increased speculation that Samuels may be leaning towards Durham. A shot an early playing time has been key in Samuels’ recruitment, and a verbal commitment from Top-75 wing Alex O’Connell may have helped Villanova’s cause, with the Blue Devils expected to bring in up to 7 players in this class.
Samuels is an athletic prospect who excels on the defensive end. He’s a potent slasher on offense with a solid mid-range skillset, and he’s made strides shooting the ball from the outside. Given all their targets on the wing, this is a home run from the ‘Nova staff to land their #1 target and the highest ranked player of the bunch.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

So I read that Nova is going to renovate the Pavilion & play possibly all their non Wells Fargo home games at the Palestra for at least a year - that'd be cool.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

bluehenbillk wrote:So I read that Nova is going to renovate the Pavilion & play possibly all their non Wells Fargo home games at the Palestra for at least a year - that'd be cool.
Saw that too. Probably wouldn't be until the 2017-18 season. Using that Finneran money to finally renovate (i.e. gut and redo) the Pavilion. Should be good - a whole year of games in the Palestra (minus the Wells Fargo Games) and at the end the Pavilion is so upgraded that it makes it better to watch a game there. As college facilities go, even Wright said it, the Pavilion sucks. And Wells Fargo, unless it's packed, isn't a great college venue. They didn't say if the capacity of the Pavilion would be increased (it is small currently) but I liked the comment about maybe getting the students in better seats and moving where the old folks are. Just don't make it look like Pitt's stadium - I know the students are right on the floor but you have those awful looking luxury suites on the side of the floor you see on TV - looks like people are sitting on their patio watching the game.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

EPJr wrote:Image

As the fissures continue to grow in the Big East, the league's seven non-football members have decided to explore their options.

The athletic directors of St. John's, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova, Providence, DePaul, Marquette and Notre Dame have scheduled a teleconference Monday to discuss the league's ever-changing status. The move follows the defections of Pittsburgh and Syracuse to the ACC, with the prospect of more losses if the SEC targets West Virginia, the ACC absorbs Connecticut and perhaps Rutgers, and TCU reconsiders its decision to join this BCS conference in 2012.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... z1YSQp3WqA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Delaware St pulls upset knocks off St.Johns 79-72!!!!!!
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Young Johnnies struggling early. Will need that 4 star 7 footer to be the real deal next year.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:Young Johnnies struggling early. Will need that 4 star 7 footer to be the real deal next year.
St. John's always seems to be young and always seems to be struggling. Ever since the Sweater retired times have been tough up in Queens other than a few aberrant good seasons. I don't think Mullin is a long term answer.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Villanova seniors Hart, Jenkins and Reynolds have a chance to make history tonight by beating Temple and being the first Big 5 class to go undefeated in Big 5 play. Temple is no pushover as demonstrated by their two top 25 wins already this year, so this should be must watch TV.

Or, will it be another Nova blowout of a Big 5 rival? Let's see if Dunphy can win a big game for a change.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Cats 20 game win streak (8 over top 25 teams-no home games) will be tested at Butler this week. Butler was caught looking forward by St John's. Can't be much question about strength of schedule now or who is the best team over this time frame. Only two other undefeated teams left this year.

The Big East has started fast again in the games prior to league play. Hard to see them not having at least 4 teams in the tournament with a chance for maybe two more.

UNC and Duke both go down by double figures last night. Still early, but Baylor has a couple nice wins. Other contenders--- Kentucky, Louisville, Virginia, UCLA, UNC and Duke. Maybe Creighton. They seem to have a lot of options this year. (for Clenz only...I know their record in the tourney).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

vutomcat wrote:Cats 20 game win streak (8 over top 25 teams-no home games) will be tested at Butler this week. Butler was caught looking forward by St John's. Can't be much question about strength of schedule now or who is the best team over this time frame. Only two other undefeated teams left this year.

The Big East has started fast again in the games prior to league play. Hard to see them not having at least 4 teams in the tournament with a chance for maybe two more.

UNC and Duke both go down by double figures last night. Still early, but Baylor has a couple nice wins. Other contenders--- Kentucky, Louisville, Virginia, UCLA, UNC and Duke. Maybe Creighton. They seem to have a lot of options this year. (for Clenz only...I know their record in the tourney).
This might be the best Gonzaga team ever with wins over SDSU, Florida, Iowa State, Tennessee, and Zona. WCC is appears to be decent but they have a shot to run the table...
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

kalm wrote:
vutomcat wrote:Cats 20 game win streak (8 over top 25 teams-no home games) will be tested at Butler this week. Butler was caught looking forward by St John's. Can't be much question about strength of schedule now or who is the best team over this time frame. Only two other undefeated teams left this year.

This might be the best Gonzaga team ever with wins over SDSU, Florida, Iowa State, Tennessee, and Zona. WCC is appears to be decent but they have a shot to run the table...

They are having a good year but they are in that same category as Creighton. Lots of appearances (19) but never made it to the Final four.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:
kalm wrote:

They are having a good year but they are in that same category as Creighton. Lots of appearances (19) but never made it to the Final four.
Is this a troll attempt? Creighton=Gonzaga??? Come on, that's just crazy. Creighton has never won two games in the same NCAA tournament (and no, I'm not counting the times they did when they won the regional consolation games they used to have back in the 60's and early 70's). Gonzaga has won multiple games in NCAA tournaments on 5 different occasions. If you want to look at recent records, say, since 1999 when both Creighton and Gonzaga began to repeatedly make the tournament (Gonzaga has been in all of the past 18 tournaments and Creighton has made 10 of those 18) Creighton has won all of 5 NCAA tournament games - Gonzaga has won 24 games. 24>5. Sure, no Final Fours between them, but no one is going to say that VCU or George Mason have been more successful than Gonzaga over this time just because of the Final Fours they reached.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

GannonFan wrote:
vutomcat wrote:

Is this a troll attempt? Creighton=Gonzaga??? Come on, that's just crazy. Creighton has never won two games in the same NCAA tournament (and no, I'm not counting the times they did when they won the regional consolation games they used to have back in the 60's and early 70's). Gonzaga has won multiple games in NCAA tournaments on 5 different occasions. If you want to look at recent records, say, since 1999 when both Creighton and Gonzaga began to repeatedly make the tournament (Gonzaga has been in all of the past 18 tournaments and Creighton has made 10 of those 18) Creighton has won all of 5 NCAA tournament games - Gonzaga has won 24 games. 24>5. Sure, no Final Fours between them, but no one is going to say that VCU or George Mason have been more successful than Gonzaga over this time just because of the Final Fours they reached.

Nope. Just pointing out that they have made the tournament 19 times (just happens to be the same as Creighton) and haven't made the Final Four. Hard to put Gonzaga in the "contender" category for a National Championship. I think you missed the point of the post, but that wouldn't be unusual.

Now maybe your list of contenders is different than mine and it would include Gonzaga?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Nope. Just pointing out that they have made the tournament 19 times (just happens to be the same as Creighton) and haven't made the Final Four. Hard to put Gonzaga in the "contender" category for a National Championship. I think you missed the point of the post, but that wouldn't be unusual.

Now maybe your list of contenders is different than mine and it would include Gonzaga?
Dude, when you have Creighton on a list of potential national title contenders, then most people would miss the point of that post. Creighton has never made a Sweet Sixteen, let alone compete for a national title, and that's not changing this year. Yes, without a doubt, Gonzaga would be much higher on that list than Creighton would. On any list by any person with a pulse. Creighton is a paper tiger, again. Xavier is the only other team in the Big East that can make noise in the tourney, assuming Hinkle Field House is not a tourney venue.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

vutomcat wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Yeah...you included Creighton in your list but not GU. Aside from history this is a really solid team with a good resume.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

GannonFan wrote:
vutomcat wrote:

Dude, when you have Creighton on a list of potential national title contenders, then most people would miss the point of that post. Creighton has never made a Sweet Sixteen, let alone compete for a national title, and that's not changing this year. Yes, without a doubt, Gonzaga would be much higher on that list than Creighton would. On any list by any person with a pulse. Creighton is a paper tiger, again. Xavier is the only other team in the Big East that can make noise in the tourney, assuming Hinkle Field House is not a tourney venue.

So, where's your list?
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

kalm wrote:
vutomcat wrote:

Yeah...you included Creighton in your list but not GU. Aside from history this is a really solid team with a good resume.

Maybe Xavier would be a better comparison. Solid number of appearances and solid performance in the tourney but no Final Fours.

Despite what GF is posting, I really didn't mean to insult you by comparing Gonzaga to C. I have watched them three times now and they are playing really well and appear to be very good. I know the history very well though.

Your list?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

So, where's your list?
What's so hard about the list? This is another year, like two years ago, when the top contenders are heads and shoulders better than the rest of the field. It should be a pretty chalk year. Kentucky, nova, UVA, West Virginia, Kansas, Baylor, Duke, UNC, and Louisville with maybe Gonzaga thrown in there. I'm not a believer in UCLA long term - like Creighton, they don't play any defense. Wisconsin or Arizona might slip in there because they do play defense. Funny how the guy's game is getting as predictable as the women's game in basketball, just with more teams continually vying for the same spots. It's a blue-blood type of year, don't expect too many surprises.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

State of the conference: Kenpom has the Big East 4th out of the 32 conferences.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

And he's got Gonzaga #1 right now, and more interestingly, Gonzaga and West Virginia are the only teams he has as top 10 in both offense and defense. There are several teams, including all of the top 7, that are top 20 in both offense and defense, and that is normally a short list of teams that could win the national title.

Not much noise for the Big East again likely this year in the tourney - nova will be the only team getting to the Sweet 16. Creighton losing the point guard is just devastating, Butler is a nice team but not much else, and Xavier has just not pulled it together so far. nova will go as far as Josh Hart takes them, which could be very far. Just a special player.

ACC could and should get at least 10 teams in the tourney this year, and despite that, I don't think they have a national title team among them. Granted, it's hard to see when there are so many teams and the conference schedule is just loaded, but I think UNC is the best they've got and it's hard to see them winning 6 straight in the tournament. Best conference by a mile, I just don't think they have a team that will be the best team.

Arizona is the type of team that could win it. Just getting healthy now, great all the way around. Certainly one of a handful that could win it.