NFL 2020 Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: NFL 2020 Season

Post by UNI88 »

Chizzang wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:15 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:36 pm
Peter King likes it ...
I don't disagree ^ with much of that...
The only problem is - at the 53rd slot he has to make the team - even if he doesn't make the team he has to make the team
So Jalen Hurts will be on the Eagles roster for at least 3 years regardless of his ability or progress
because he was taken in the 2nd round

:nod:
Albert Breer with SI would agree with you ...

I’m not as wild about the Eagles’ Jalen Hurts pick.
I’m not as wild about the Eagles’ Jalen Hurts pick. And that’s nothing against Hurts the player, a guy who showed great determination in making it through all he did—at one point while he was at Bama, some NFL scouts were assessing him as a running-back prospect—to go in the second round. More, there would be two factors gnawing at me here if I’m the Eagles. One, I’m not sure he wouldn’t have slipped a little further, had Philly not taken him at 53, where they could’ve added a corner like LSU’s Kristian Fulton, a linebacker like Wyoming’s Logan Wilson or a pass-rusher like Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa, or traded down. Remember, it was the fourth round before another quarterback came off the board. Second, I’d worry his on-field value over the next four years may be minimal, if Carson Wentz stays healthy. Now, all that said? I like the conviction in the evaluation by Howie Roseman, and if Hurts gives them good depth for three years and gets flipped for a second or something better after that, then this will look better as a Wentz insurance policy.
I didn't think highly of Hurts' QB talent at Alabama - he seemed like a game manager. I saw a lot more from him at Oklahoma that was impressive and worth taking a chance on. Plus the way he handled being demoted at Alabama showed character. Philly probably took him earlier than they needed to but I don't think it was a bad pick.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:40 pm

The only problem is - at the 53rd slot he has to make the team - even if he doesn't make the team he has to make the team
So Jalen Hurts will be on the Eagles roster for at least 3 years regardless of his ability or progress

I’m not as wild about the Eagles’ Jalen Hurts pick. And that’s nothing against Hurts the player, a guy who showed great determination in making it through all he did—at one point while he was at Bama, some NFL scouts were assessing him as a running-back prospect—to go in the second round. More, there would be two factors gnawing at me here if I’m the Eagles. One, I’m not sure he wouldn’t have slipped a little further, had Philly not taken him at 53, where they could’ve added a corner like LSU’s Kristian Fulton, a linebacker like Wyoming’s Logan Wilson or a pass-rusher like Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa, or traded down. Remember, it was the fourth round before another quarterback came off the board. Second, I’d worry his on-field value over the next four years may be minimal, if Carson Wentz stays healthy. Now, all that said? I like the conviction in the evaluation by Howie Roseman, and if Hurts gives them good depth for three years and gets flipped for a second or something better after that, then this will look better as a Wentz insurance policy.
I didn't think highly of Hurts' QB talent at Alabama - he seemed like a game manager. I saw a lot more from him at Oklahoma that was impressive and worth taking a chance on. Plus the way he handled being demoted at Alabama showed character. Philly probably took him earlier than they needed to but I don't think it was a bad pick.
it's hard to complete passes in the NFL
ask Marcus Mariotta and Jameis Winston - both completely competent albeit expensive back-ups

Hurts rookie deal will be 6.5 mill a season as a 2nd round QB
the exact same salary as Marcus and Jameis above
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Chizzang wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:49 pm

ask Marcus Mariotta and Jameis Winston - both completely competent albeit expensive back-ups

What do you think of where Fromm went?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I don't think Hurts gets past the Patriots pick in the 2nd round, which came 7 picks after the Eagles pick.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Trey Lance made this guys top 10 for 2021. Who was the last FCS Soph to be drafted?

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:52 pm

its a solid roster move for the Bills
you get him for 4 years 7 Mil total contract value (5th round)
you can't get a backup for cheaper than that - with a similar top side as your starter

if you can save 5 or 6 mil a year on your back-up that's a quality linebacker or runningback

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:00 pm Trey Lance made this guys top 10 for 2021. Who was the last FCS Soph to be drafted?

Kevin Hanson of SI has him going to the Patriots @ #26
26. New England Patriots: Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State

With only two quarterbacks—Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer—on the roster, it’s surprising that Bill Belichick (or his trusted sidekick) didn’t at least draft a late-round quarterback. This dual-threat quarterback threw 28 touchdowns (and no interceptions) while also rushing for 1,100 yards and 14 touchdowns as Lance won the Walter Payton Award as a redshirt freshman.
Last edited by UNI88 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:39 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:00 pm Trey Lance made this guys top 10 for 2021. Who was the last FCS Soph to be drafted?

With only two quarterbacks—Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer—on the roster, it’s surprising that Bill Belichick (or his trusted sidekick) didn’t at least draft a late-round quarterback. This dual-threat quarterback threw 28 touchdowns (and no interceptions) while also rushing for 1,100 yards and 14 touchdowns as Lance won the Walter Payton Award as a redshirt freshman.
I wish the Packers had waited until next year.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:48 pm
And Trey's a redshirt sophomore (true sophomores aren't draft eligible), Isaiah Coulter (Rhode Island) was drafted this year and I think was 3 years removed from high school.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:51 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:48 pm

And Trey's a redshirt sophomore (true sophomores aren't draft eligible), Isaiah Coulter (Rhode Island) was drafted this year and I think was 3 years removed from high school.
There's a precedent, but I hope he stays in school for selfish reasons. If not, they best wishes.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:05 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:51 pm
There's a precedent, but I hope he stays in school for selfish reasons. If not, they best wishes.
I believe Coulter was the first though.

I wish Klieman had kept his greedy little fingers off of Briley Moore. ;)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:09 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:16 pm
I'm surprised we haven't had a dissertation from JSO about all the SEC and LSU 1st round picks..
:lol: Don't give him any ideas.
Luckily was another thread for that lol..
viewtopic.php?p=1309010#p1309010
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:39 pm

IF that were to happen, for NDSU’s run of the last decade (2011-2020), they would have had:
-3 year starter (CFL)
-2 year starter (#1 pick)
-3 yr starter (#5th rd pick)
-2 yr starter (1st? round pick)
With as far as I know only 1? somewhat major injury to boot (when Wentz missed about 1/2 the season 2015, but returned for the NC game). From an outsider’s perspective, for all the reasons of NDSU’s success, the QB position has been the #1 reason.

Has any I-AA program ever had 3 successive starters drafted? Heck, how many P5 programs have even had 3 successive starters drafted, with at least 1 1st round/#1 pick to boot? The success NDSU has at that position has been amazing.

Heck, JMU just had their 1st QB drafted somce 1996. Have had 3 great ones over the last 16 yrs, but none of those made it further than rookie tryouts. None got drafted or even a UDFA & ended up CFL or Arena League..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Meh. I'll take Kevin Thomson over Lawrence any day of the week....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:25 am Meh. I'll take Kevin Thomson over Lawrence any day of the week....
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:52 pm

You are asking what he'll be wearing?
:thumb:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Guess the Bengals will be going full Burrow this season by releasing Andy Dalton.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Bleacher Report had Trey Lance going 4th in the first round of next year's draft, made it seem like he could even be a threat to go before Lawrence.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:17 am Bleacher Report had Trey Lance going 4th in the first round of next year's draft, made it seem like he could even be a threat to go before Lawrence.
Who?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

It looks like the Dak Prescott era may be over in Dallas. The Cowboys have reportedly just signed free agent QB Andy Dalton, who recently washed out of Cincinnati. I'd still MUCH rather have Danny White, though....

https://247sports.com/Article/Dallas-Co ... 146747969/

grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

I have never seen talking heads flip-flop on their assessments of Andy Dalton so fast. In Cinci he is a piece of shit not worthy of a flag football league, with Dallas
PURE GENIUS DECISION
COWBOYS HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK AGAIN
A SOLID TEAM PLAYER
A BENEFIT IN THE LOCKER/FILM ROOM
ETC ETC ETC
Last edited by grizzaholic on Sun May 03, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

grizzaholic wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:16 am I have never seen talking heads flip-flop on their assessments of Andy Dalton. In Cinci he is a piece of shit not worthy of a flag football league, with Dallas
PURE GENIUS DECISION
COWBOYS HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK AGAIN
A SOLID TEAM PLAYER
A BENEFIT IN THE LOCKER/FILM ROOM
ETC ETC ETC
It isn't so much that Dalton's the Saviour. It's that they're all on Jones' jock, so every move he makes is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'd love to see Jones gone so we can hire Danny White as our HC for the next 30 years....

Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:49 am It looks like the Dak Prescott era may be over in Dallas. The Cowboys have reportedly just signed free agent QB Andy Dalton, who recently washed out of Cincinnati. I'd still MUCH rather have Danny White, though....

They didn't bring Dalton in to start. He is a solid backup in case Dak holds out.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Vidav wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:58 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:49 am It looks like the Dak Prescott era may be over in Dallas. The Cowboys have reportedly just signed free agent QB Andy Dalton, who recently washed out of Cincinnati. I'd still MUCH rather have Danny White, though....

They didn't bring Dalton in to start. He is a solid backup in case Dak holds out.
He's the best available backup QB in my opinion - and if you've got the cap space - fine
I'd take him over 35% of the NFL starters right now

including Jared Goff / Ryan Tannehill / Phillip Rivers / Dwayne Haskins / Sam Darnold and a few more for sure