2018/19 Hot Stove League

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Re: 2018/19 Hot Stove League

Post by Chizzang »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Yup...
There's an epidemic of MLB executives over valuing saves

Teams just can't help themselves even though they have the math
The Red Sox (a deep Saber Metrics organization) know full well Kimbrels actual value on paper
But they can't help themselves

They will over spend to keep him

:nod:
The team that signs Kimbrel is highly likely to get burned on the deal.

Kimbrel up to this point in his career has been brilliant. But almost every closer in baseball history has begun to fade right around this point in his career. If Kimbrel is the next Rivera, then his next contract will be worth it. But history is not on Kimbrel's side.
Agreed,
His career post season ERA is 3.92
So against quality opponents he's dangerously average - and way too expensive

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

I cannot see Harper worth 300 mil. Look close at his numbers and I don’t think you can justify much over 20 mil per season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Chizzang wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:
Some saves are more valuable than others.

A guy who can come in a turn a one-run lead in the 9th into a win 85% of the time or more -- he's putting up valuable saves.

Holding a three-run lead for an inning? Any competent big league pitcher should be able to do that almost all the time.
Yup...

The Red Sox (a deep Saber Metrics organization) know full well Kimbrels actual value on paper

I love when people cite the 2004 Red Sox as justification for Sabermetrics. The Sox were a very good team, but they were the second best team in their division that had a very memorable eight-game win streak in October.

And they say that the Sox signed David Ortiz because Bill James told them too. George Steinbrenner wanted Ortiz too. And the guy they wanted to sign was a much smaller, non-steroid version of David Ortiz.

The YES network use to show a "Yankees Classic" game from 2002 in which Jason Giambi hit an extra-inning grand slam to beat the Twins. So I was watching it one day, and the announcers said that David Ortiz was coming to plate. And I looked, and looked, waiting to see David Ortiz. And then this puny-looking guy stepped into the batters' box.

https://goo.gl/images/EACbdA
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Yup...

I love when people cite the 2004 Red Sox as justification for Sabermetrics. The Sox were a very good team, but they were the second best team in their division that had a very memorable eight-game win streak in October.

And they say that the Sox signed David Ortiz because Bill James told them too. George Steinbrenner wanted Ortiz too. And the guy they wanted to sign was a much smaller, non-steroid version of David Ortiz.

The YES network use to show a "Yankees Classic" game from 2002 in which Jason Giambi hit an extra-inning grand slam to beat the Twins. So I was watching it one day, and the announcers said that David Ortiz was coming to plate. And I looked, and looked, waiting to see David Ortiz. And then this puny-looking guy stepped into the batters' box.

Well, if anyone would know about steroids it would be the Yankees. You can asterisks most of those titles in the late 90's and 00's as a result. DiMaggio was probably rolling in his grave.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:

Well, if anyone would know about steroids it would be the Yankees. You can asterisks most of those titles in the late 90's and 00's as a result. DiMaggio was probably rolling in his grave.
DiMaggio died in 1999, so he saw 1996 & 98, rolling in his grave for 1999, 2000 and 2009
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Yup...

The pre juiced little Popi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

GannonFan wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:

Bullshit. Read the Mitchell Report. Just about any Yankee named in the report tried PEDs for the first time in 2001 or later, according to Mitchell's report.

Below is a link naming every player who played on the 1998 Yankees. The only two ever implicated for PED use were Chuck Knoblauch and Andy Pettite.

Mitchell reported that Knoblauch started using PEDs in 2001, after his career started to decline. He was out of New York by 2002.

Mitchell reported that Pettite used HGH twice, in 2002, while rehabbing from an injury. Hardly a PED user.

So, as a matter of documented fact, no member of the 1998 Yankees was implicated as a PED user at any time during that season, or any season thereafter, until 2001.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... ster.shtml
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

This quote is from the article linked below......
Donald Trump is a thin-skinned, self-promoting narcissist, prone to violent tantrums and playing fast and loose with the truth, possessing a persecution complex that would make Richard Nixon blush.
.....except it really said "David Ortiz" and not Donald Trump. :lol: :lol:

https://theweek.com/articles/645685/fra ... h-big-papi
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CAA Flagship wrote:This quote is from the article linked below......
Donald Trump is a thin-skinned, self-promoting narcissist, prone to violent tantrums and playing fast and loose with the truth, possessing a persecution complex that would make Richard Nixon blush.

What..!!!
I'm shocked that a NY beat writer would shovel dirt on David Ortiz career
Did this same guy write a hit piece article on A-Rod and Jason Giambi..?

I suspect NOT
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Chizzang wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:This quote is from the article linked below......

What..!!!

I suspect NOT
No one in New York is delusional enough to think that Giambi and Arod played clean.

In Boston, though, it is a sacrilege to mention the obvious fact that Papi was juicing.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
What..!!!

I suspect NOT
No one in New York is delusional enough to think that Giambi and Arod played clean.

In Boston, though, it is a sacrilege to mention the obvious fact that Papi was juicing.

Well why would anybody dispute Giambi and A-rod used Steroids..?
both were busted and admitted using steroids already

So...
Yeah hopefully nobody is delusional enough to NOT admit what is already a documented fact

:coffee:

But to your point, the denial regarding Ortiz is ridiculous...
But NY based writers should probably avoid hit pieces - it just looks like jealousy
which is totally unnecessary for any Yankees fan

Coke never bothers to mention Pepsi ever
Pepsi mentions Coke every day

The Yankees and Yankee fans are better served ignoring Boston entirely
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Chizzang wrote:

Times have changed. We live in the alternate universe now where the Red Sox are the superior organization to the Yankees. It's like what would've happened if people really did like Pepsi better than Coke (which is absurd of course). But the absurd has happened in baseball. Boston > NY Yankees. :coffee:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

GannonFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

Times have changed. We live in the alternate universe now where the Red Sox are the superior organization to the Yankees. It's like what would've happened if people really did like Pepsi better than Coke (which is absurd of course). But the absurd has happened in baseball. Boston > NY Yankees. :coffee:

I spent a lot of time in Boston... A. Lot. of. Time.
Time I will never get back, I might add

The Boston Red Sox (as much as I enjoy them) will never be superior to the Yankees
certainly not in my lifetime and likely well beyond that

Special Notes:
I'm a guy who's not from Boston but I have spent 12 years there total on two different adventures
a born and bred Boston guy has no chance of seeing clearly when it comes to sports
and they have no sense of humor regarding sports

Which is a shame really... because, by it's nature, sports is funny stuff
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Chizzang wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

The Boston Red Sox (as much as I enjoy them) will never be superior to the Yankees

Special Notes:
I'm a guy who's not from Boston but I have spent 12 years there total on two different adventures
a born and bred Boston guy has no chance of seeing clearly when it comes to sports

As a brand, you are right. The Red Sox will never be the Yankees. Just like Liverpool will never be Manchester United, even though Liverpool has had the leg up on United the last few years.

The Yankees are a world-wide brand with a deep and devoted following on six continents. When you see the Forbes list of the world's most valuable sports franchises, the top of the list consists of NFL teams; the world's biggest soccer brands; and the New York Yankees. The Yankees are the only baseball team in the mix, year in and year out, for the No. 1 spot.

That being said, the Sox have been the more successful team in the past 15 years. Period.

And it all started when the entire Sox lineup was juicing and putting up the most amazing offensive numbers ever in 2003-2004. Boston's following multiplied in those steroid-infused offensive years, and the value of the team and the money at its disposal has now dramatically increased. No team in baseball has benefited from the steroid era more than Boston. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Chizzang wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Special Notes:

I'm a Philly guy, I by nature then think all sports is funny. It's what gets us through the morass of Philly sports over the years (although truthfully, there's been some real good moments lately).
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

Looks like the Phillies are landing Realmuto.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:Looks like the Phillies are landing Realmuto.

ABD
:thumb:
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

dbackjon wrote:

ABD
Asian Booty Disease?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
ABD
Asian Booty Disease?
Anybody But Dodgers
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Awesome pickup - team is substantially better than last year already. Now on to Harper and then keep the fires warm for Trout in a year (by trade) or two (free agency). Can the Phillies comp Trout's Eagles' season tickets?