2018 World Cup

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: 2018 World Cup

Post by Ivytalk »

And those Silly English Kniggets beat the Colombian Coffee Grinders in a PK shootout, breaking their PK jinx. 8-)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Harry Kane with more knockout WC goals than Ronaldo and Messi combined.

:D
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Colombian goalie on execution watch.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:Colombian goalie on execution watch.
The PKs he let in were all on his lower right (lower left as you look at it). Good scouting report! :thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:Colombian goalie on execution watch.
The PKs he let in were all on his lower right (lower left as you look at it). Good scouting report! :thumb:
That's my standard running joke every time Colombia has been eliminated since Escobar was executed after the own-goal in the loss to the USA in '94.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BDKJMU wrote:World Cup ratings down 42%..
https://in.news.yahoo.com/us-world-cup- ... 24342.html

No surprise. As soon as the US was eliminated last year by Trinidad and Fucking Tobago, a ratings disaster in the US for Fox was ensured.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:World Cup ratings down 42%..h
https://in.news.yahoo.com/us-world-cup- ... 24342.html

No surprise. As soon as the US was eliminated last year by Trinidad and **** Tobago, a ratings disaster in the US for Fox was ensured.
Even Telemundo is way down. Its audience is all trying to get into the US.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
That's my standard running joke every time Colombia has been eliminated since Escobar was executed after the own-goal in the loss to the USA in '94.
I was telling my wife about that while we were watching the England/Colombia PK's - it almost made you want to root for the Colombians because you knew the keeper and any of them who missed a PK could be in danger going back home. We always talk about bad things that fanbases do in the US, but we're softies compared to the rest of the world when it comes to fan violence.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
I was telling my wife about that while we were watching the England/Colombia PK's - it almost made you want to root for the Colombians because you knew the keeper and any of them who missed a PK could be in danger going back home. We always talk about bad things that fanbases do in the US, but we're softies compared to the rest of the world when it comes to fan violence.
Team Juan Valdez ( egged on by a now-plump Maradona) thinks they were robbed by the US referee. Oh, well, Colombia was never on my bucket list anyway.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Team Juan Valdez ( egged on by a now-plump Maradona) thinks they were robbed by the US referee. Oh, well, Colombia was never on my bucket list anyway.
The irony of Maradona complaining about cheating and breaking the rules is not lost on anyone. Well, I guess he doesn't get it, so he's one. :rofl:
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:

No surprise. As soon as the US was eliminated last year by Trinidad and **** Tobago, a ratings disaster in the US for Fox was ensured.
The quote below from BDK's article explains a lot. If you take out US games from 2010 and 2014, viewership is close when you account for time zone change. This year is in Russia which is the furthest off time zone in the past 3 World Cups. The 2022 Cup in Qatar will be similar taking out US games.
Excluding games involving the U.S. team in previous World Cups, the average declined 28 percent from the 2014 tournament in Brazil and was up 1 percent from the 2010 tournament in South Africa.

Most group-stage kickoff times this year were morning EDT, starting as early as 6 a.m., and the latest matches began at 2 p.m. Games in 2014 started mostly from noon to 4 p.m. EDT, while in 2010 games there were many matches at 10 a.m. and some as early as 7:30 a.m.

Twenty-six group-stage matches were aired on Fox, up from six on ABC in 2014 and four on ABC in 2010.

Ratings include only television viewers and not those who viewed digital streams.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

tribe_pride wrote:If you take out US games from 2010 and 2014, viewership is close when you account for time zone change.
And if you back out games involving darkie countries and those that didn't speak English and take into account the humid temperatures in the US, ratings were actually up.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
The quote below from BDK's article explains a lot. If you take out US games from 2010 and 2014, viewership is close when you account for time zone change. This year is in Russia which is the furthest off time zone in the past 3 World Cups. The 2022 Cup in Qatar will be similar taking out US games.
Excluding games involving the U.S. team in previous World Cups, the average declined 28 percent from the 2014 tournament in Brazil and was up 1 percent from the 2010 tournament in South Africa.

Most group-stage kickoff times this year were morning EDT, starting as early as 6 a.m., and the latest matches began at 2 p.m. Games in 2014 started mostly from noon to 4 p.m. EDT, while in 2010 games there were many matches at 10 a.m. and some as early as 7:30 a.m.

Twenty-six group-stage matches were aired on Fox, up from six on ABC in 2014 and four on ABC in 2010.

Ratings include only television viewers and not those who viewed digital streams.
2022 in Qatar will be interesting. Because FIFA decided (i.e. was bribed mightily) to stage that World Cup in a desert country with no soccer stadiums, they're running that World Cup in the colder months of November and December (they final will be on December 18th of that year). Normally the World Cup runs into relatively no sports interference in the US as baseball is the only sport running at that time and is just in mid-season. Now, the World Cup will be going up against the heart of college football season, the NFL as it moves into the final months of its regular season, not to mention college basketball, NBA basketball, and heck, even that NHL thing that 89 keeps talking about. It will be a shortened schedule for the World Cup (again, due to FIFA picking Qatar), but I don't see it doing well in terms of ratings in the US when it goes up against all of those sports, especially considering they'll still have the factor of a bad time zone difference as well.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Depending on who I listened to in the military, on the news, or on the street, I'm not sure which of these three things Qatar rhymes with:

ImageImageImage
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

93henfan wrote:Depending on who I listened to in the military, on the news, or on the street, I'm not sure which of these three things Qatar rhymes with:

ImageImageImage

Laurel
:thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

dbackjon wrote:
93henfan wrote:Depending on who I listened to in the military, on the news, or on the street, I'm not sure which of these three things Qatar rhymes with:

ImageImageImage

Laurel
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SUCK IT BRAZIL!!! :clap:

I realize it's not over.

Btw, soccer is a very boring sport, but this game is the exception. Bad break for Brazil on the first Belgian goal, but the second was a laser by the red-headed honky for Belgium. And the Belgian keeper is doing a heckuuva job. His name must be Brownie.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

So the Frogs knocked out Uruguay today. If Belgium holds on against Brazil, there will be no Team Brown squads left. :o
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I figured I'd see more Anheuser-Busch InBev signage on the field with their two big countries, Belgium and Brazil, playing.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

My brother was in the rear with the gear a couple times there. He always called it "gutter".
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Brazil is out! Neymar will try out for Olympic diving next.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ivytalk wrote:So the Frogs knocked out Uruguay today. If Belgium holds on against Brazil, there will be no Team Brown squads left. :o

Have you been watching the games? Plenty of Brown on France, Belgium, etc.
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:So the Frogs knocked out Uruguay today. If Belgium holds on against Brazil, there will be no Team Brown squads left. :o

Have you been watching the games? Plenty of Brown on France, Belgium, etc.
Sure. But no more OFFICIAL Team Brown. The others are more lend-lease. 8-)
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie wrote:It has begun.

Tough to pick between Germany and Brazil, with Germany the favorite after winning the last Cup. Spain still might surprise after their coaching change. Belgium as the sleeper.
Well my sleeper is still alive, beating one of my favs. After watching the Rusky game, Spain should not have changed coaches.