2018 US Open

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: 2018 US Open

Post by CAA Flagship »

The weekend leaderboard is shaping up to look like a Shitshow. :shock:

Afternoon round 1 scores to add to the morning massacre:

Woods +8
Bradley +11
Kisner +7
Rahm +8
Scott +8
Matsuyama +5
Garcia +5
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:The weekend leaderboard is shaping up to look like a Shitshow. :shock:
It's not sexy to the casual fan, but there's plenty of talent in the top 30. The course was the victor yesterday. Sounds like wind is down today and it might be moving day a day early.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:No hate here. He's one of my 8 I picked in our pool..
:lol: You bet with your head then and not your heart. Your hatred of Eldrick is longer than your tee ball.
I don’t understand. I don’t “hate” Tiger...he’s harmless...certainly no Jack Nicklaus. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:The weekend leaderboard is shaping up to look like a Shitshow. :shock:
It's not sexy to the casual fan, but there's plenty of talent in the top 30. The course was the victor yesterday. Sounds like wind is down today and it might be moving day a day early.
This. :nod:

The talent level is extraordinary and the course is brutal but fair...kind of like the sport in general.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: :lol: You bet with your head then and not your heart. Your hatred of Eldrick is longer than your tee ball.
I don’t understand. I don’t “hate” Tiger...he’s harmless...certainly no Jack Nicklaus. :coffee:
Woods was the best golfer on the planet for a number of years, but..........

Nicklaus------

Victories: 20
Second Place: 19
Third Place: 9
Top-Three Finishes: 48
Top-Five Finishes: 56
Top-10 Finishes: 73

Played in a record 154 consecutive major championships for which he was eligible from the 1957 U.S. Open to the 1998 U.S. Open.

Major Titles
6 Masters; 5 PGA Championships; 4 United States Opens; 3 British Opens; 2 U.S. Amateur Championships

As An Amateur
1959: Won U.S. Amateur, defeating Charles Coe, 1-up
1960: Runner-up, United States Open
1961: Won U.S. Amateur a second time, defeating Dudley Wysong, 8 and 6
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:but..........

Nicklaus------
played in a different era.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:

Nicklaus------
Is less competition your argument.

Is it scoring? The ball is juiced, wood/metal technology is clearly superior, and course conditions are way better now.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:

Nicklaus------
1970 Jack Nicklaus would lap the field today with the manicured courses and the technology improvements.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: played in a different era.
1970 Jack Nicklaus would lap the field today with the manicured courses and the technology improvements.
A drive-by AZGF posting from Vegas! :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ivytalk wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
A drive-by AZGF posting from Vegas! :lol:
It's AZ just Tupac-ing.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Well, the USGA fucked up again. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:Well, the USGA fucked up again. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
The course set up or no Dairy Queen for Phil?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:

Nicklaus------
Your hatred of Jack is longer than your tee ball. :lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote:Well, the USGA **** up again. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
I enjoyed watching yesterday. Phil was a nice interlude, got his 2 stroke penalty.

But if you are Fowler, maybe put the pole vaulting on hold until Monday, after shooting an 84 on Saturday.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Daniel Berger commercial

phpBB [video]
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

I would like to see Patrick Reed win the US Open. He's sitting 3 strokes back, and a possible back to back Major wins. That would bring more people to the telly for the British Open.

Oh, and Tigers 10 year exemption for winning the 2008 US Open has expired. He does have other ways of getting back to the open next year.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Well, the USGA fucked up again. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
The course set up or no Dairy Queen for Phil?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

More from Poulter
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:More from Poulter
Mike Davis...89's favorite guy! :lol:

The USGA appears to be an elitist, boutique organization that's no longer helping the game or the industry. After seeing all the "Play 9" promotional ads the first two days, I decided to check it out and see if we can join the program. The Washington State Golf Association has a Play 9 landing page with zero events or programs created and the link to the USGA's Play 9 page gives you 404 not found error. :ohno:

And then they don't DQ Phil for an obvious major breach. I guarantee you if that takes place in the PNW Section at the Washington Open or Oregon Open, the player is done. :nod: :ohno:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: played in a different era.
Yes and IMO there is no disputing it.

Nicklaus was incredible, he is one of my favorites too. My guess is he would have been one of the greats today if here were playing, but there's no way he puts up the numbers he did. There are simply too many incredible talents not only in the US, but also the world. That's a HUGE difference. You had Player, Jacklin, and Devlin. Can you even name another international player of the 60's and early 70's worth mentioning? Jack faced the same 12 guys year after year in the majors. Just go back and look at the Open and Masters leaderboards from then. Same dozen guys every year.

I played competitive junior golf and was pretty good. Today I wouldn't even sniff making any invitational tournaments. The number of entries in the US Open is so much higher today than the 60/70's. There are simply more better players today than ever. I don't think it has to do with equipment either. I know plenty of guys who always have the latest and greatest equipment and never improve. Technology wise, I think the only case you could make is video and computer instruction aids. You can do your own HD videos on your phone in your backyard. People who actually work on their games have an easier time doing it today.

It was simply a different era.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:Mike Davis...89's favorite guy! :lol:
:lol: Yup. His ability to stay employed is impressive. How many US Opens can one man fuck up and keep his job. Apparently the answer is as many as they have.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

Nicklaus was incredible, he is one of my favorites too. My guess is he would have been one of the greats today if here were playing, but there's no way he puts up the numbers he did. There are simply too many incredible talents not only in the US, but also the world. That's a HUGE difference. You had Player, Jacklin, and Devlin. Can you even name another international player of the 60's and early 70's worth mentioning? Jack faced the same 12 guys year after year in the majors. Just go back and look at the Open and Masters leaderboards from then. Same dozen guys every year.

I played competitive junior golf and was pretty good. Today I wouldn't even sniff making any invitational tournaments. The number of entries in the US Open is so much higher today than the 60/70's. There are simply more better players today than ever. I don't think it has to do with equipment either. I know plenty of guys who always have the latest and greatest equipment and never improve. Technology wise, I think the only case you could make is video and computer instruction aids. You can do your own HD videos on your phone in your backyard. People who actually work on their games have an easier time doing it today.

That's a completely fair assessment and tough to argue with. I totally agree there are more tour caliber players than ever before and there are guys on mini tours everywhere that are PGA Tour level talent who could win right now and simply have not been hot at the right time (Q-School) to get their shot.

You may be right that Jack wouldn't have put up the numbers but, similar to Tiger in his prime, he had the extremely rare ability to grind out wins almost through force of will. Unlike Tiger he was able to sustain for full two decades plus.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

I would add Roberto De Vicenzo, Bob Charles, Peter Thomson, David Graham, Sandy Lyle, Bernhard Langer, Greg Norman and Seve Ballesteros to your list. All played during Nicklaus Major run. Sure there are a lot more great players today in number of players. It's a matter of opinion on if you think Jack could win today like he did in the 1950's, 60's, 70's and 80's More better players doesn't mean Jack wouldn't have still won as many tournaments. They didn't stop Tiger in his prime. IMO, Jack's style of play, would give him a chance to win during any era.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yes and IMO there is no disputing it.

I would add Roberto De Vicenzo, Bob Charles, Peter Thomson, David Graham, Sandy Lyle, Bernhard Langer, Greg Norman and Seve Ballesteros to your list. All played during Nicklaus Major run. Sure there are a lot more great players today in number of players. It's a matter of opinion on if you think Jack could win today like he did in the 1950's, 60's, 70's and 80's More better players doesn't mean Jack wouldn't have still won as many tournaments. They didn't stop Tiger in his prime. IMO, Jack's style of play, would give him a chance to win during any era.
Well if you want to go there, you've gotta add:

Miller, Watson, Floyd, Trevino, Casper, Irwin, Crenshaw....among others.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Reed and Fleetwood on the move.

Well, many players are on the move for that matter, after they watered down the greens and placed the holes in non-ridiculous locations today. :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-