Justify wins Triple Crown but Pffft

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Justify wins Triple Crown but Pffft

Post by JohnStOnge »

Yes Justify won the Belmont Stakes and the Triple Crown today. But what I watch for every year is whether any horse an approach what Secretariat did in that race in 1973. 2:24. And Justify ran 2:28.18.

So we still have Secretariat. Fastest time ever anywhere for a mile and half on dirt. Also distinctly separated from the other fastest Belmont times. Two through six are all in the 2:26 through 2:26.8 range. All within 0.08 seconds of each other. Secretariat's time is 2 or more full seconds faster than any of them.

Freak of nature. Secretariat would've beaten Justify by something like 70 yards if the we had a time machine, could match the two up against each other, and have each of them run their Belmont times over 1 1/2 miles.

The other 1973 Belmont horses know what that felt like. Yes I know I post this video every year. But this is freak of nature stuff. I actually did watch it live and I'm grateful I was alive to see this horse run even though I'm not a horse racing fan per se. At the end of the video it's noted that he had just broken the 1 1/2 mile record by 2 3/5 seconds. They said it was a record that may stand forever. I wonder. 45 years ago now and no other horse has come close to his Belmont record.

phpBB [video]
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Justify wins Triple Crown but Pffft

Post by 93henfan »

Good thing they didn't drug-test horses in the 70s. :coffee:

But seriously, I think Secretariat's performance in the first turn at Pimlico was the most impressive part of his Triple Crown. Last to first in a turn. It was like he had a fucking turbo. At Belmont, the rest of the horses just quit. Even if Secretariat had run slower than record pace, he'd have still beaten them by many lengths. In the Preakness, he passed them all and flipped them the bird starting down the backstraight. :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:Yes Justify won the Belmont Stakes and the Triple Crown today. But what I watch for every year is whether any horse an approach what Secretariat did in that race in 1973. 2:24. And Justify ran 2:28.18.

So we still have Secretariat. Fastest time ever anywhere for a mile and half on dirt. Also distinctly separated from the other fastest Belmont times. Two through six are all in the 2:26 through 2:26.8 range. All within 0.08 seconds of each other. Secretariat's time is 2 or more full seconds faster than any of them.

Freak of nature. Secretariat would've beaten Justify by something like 70 yards if the we had a time machine, could match the two up against each other, and have each of them run their Belmont times over 1 1/2 miles.

The other 1973 Belmont horses know what that felt like. Yes I know I post this video every year. But this is freak of nature stuff. I actually did watch it live and I'm grateful I was alive to see this horse run even though I'm not a horse racing fan per se. At the end of the video it's noted that he had just broken the 1 1/2 mile record by 2 3/5 seconds. They said it was a record that may stand forever. I wonder. 45 years ago now and no other horse has come close to his Belmont record.

phpBB [video]

Don’t worry, John, we’re used to it. :nod:

Anyway, I was pulling for Gronkowski. Anyone to take down that Red Chinese-owned horse. :tothehand: First, they steal our intellectual property. Next, they steal our primo horse jizz. :ohno:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

93henfan wrote:Good thing they didn't drug-test horses in the 70s. :coffee:

But seriously, I think Secretariat's performance in the first turn at Pimlico was the most impressive part of his Triple Crown. Last to first in a turn. It was like he had a fucking turbo. At Belmont, the rest of the horses just quit. Even if Secretariat had run slower than record pace, he'd have still beaten them by many lengths. In the Preakness, he passed them all and flipped them the bird starting down the backstraight. :lol:
I just went back and watched all three races. Unbelievable what that horse did in that turn. Unbelievable.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

My parents used to go to the Derby every year (aunt lives across the river in Jeffersonville IN) and they were at the one that year

I read somewhere that when they dissected Secretariat that he truly was a freak of nature - his heart was something like twice the size of a normal heart from a horse of the same size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CID1990 wrote:My parents used to go to the Derby every year (aunt lives across the river in Jeffersonville IN) and they were at the one that year

I read somewhere that when they dissected Secretariat that he truly was a freak of nature - his heart was something like twice the size of a normal heart from a horse of the same size

That is correct on his heart. The average racing thoroughbred heart weighs 9lb and Secretariat's was 22 lbs.

Cocaine is a helluva drug. :coffee:
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: MONTANA
A.K.A.: The Beer Snob

Post by polsongrizz »

This was a total joke. I mean the last race had a total of 8 f u cking horses for christ sake. What a scam.
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
Mexico will pay for the wall
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

polsongrizz wrote:This was a total joke. I mean the last race had a total of 8 f u cking horses for christ sake. What a scam.
Secretariat's Belmont had six. A lot of owners don't want their horses running the two extra furlongs of the Belmont. It's a graveyard.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Not discrediting Secratariat's performances, but the Belmont is not a sprint. It's a matter of setting a pace to set up the finish. The jockey's manage the race. The race is against the other horses, not the clock. Comparing times is of little relevance.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote:Not discrediting Secratariat's performances, but the Belmont is not a sprint. It's a matter of setting a pace to set up the finish. The jockey's manage the race. The race is against the other horses, not the clock. Comparing times is of little relevance.
That's what everyone that lost to Usain Bolt said.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Not discrediting Secratariat's performances, but the Belmont is not a sprint. It's a matter of setting a pace to set up the finish. The jockey's manage the race. The race is against the other horses, not the clock. Comparing times is of little relevance.
:lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

That actually lends even more credit to Secretariat’s performance. When you’re up by 31 lengths, why not just cruise home?

Unless you’re on drugs!!!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Bolt is a sprinter. Which one of my sentences relates to sprinting?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:
That actually lends even more credit to Secretariat’s performance. When you’re up by 31 lengths, why not just cruise home?

You clearly pointed out the differences (drugs, heart, etc.) and there is no disputing that.
But I don't think breaking a record time is as important as winning the race.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Bolt is a sprinter. Which one of my sentences relates to sprinting?
Bolt won on speed, just like Secretariat. Big Red demolished the competition.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:Good thing they didn't drug-test horses in the 70s. :coffee:

But seriously, I think Secretariat's performance in the first turn at Pimlico was the most impressive part of his Triple Crown. Last to first in a turn. It was like he had a **** turbo. At Belmont, the rest of the horses just quit. Even if Secretariat had run slower than record pace, he'd have still beaten them by many lengths. In the Preakness, he passed them all and flipped them the bird starting down the backstraight. :lol:
I just went back and watched all three races. Unbelievable what that horse did in that turn. Unbelievable.
I just watched the Preakness replay as well based on 93's comment; that was insane. Kentucky too...flying from 6th place on a wide outside turn to beat every horse.

What a ridiculous machine.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Justify wins Triple Crown but Pffft

Post by UNI88 »

93henfan wrote:

I sense as Jersey connection.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:
93henfan wrote:

You clearly pointed out the differences (drugs, heart, etc.) and there is no disputing that.
93 blew up your point. Nobody pushed Secretariat. Not sure he got the crop once in the second half of the race. There is no disputing that Secretariat was the greatest of all time.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: You clearly pointed out the differences (drugs, heart, etc.) and there is no disputing that.
93 blew up your point. Nobody pushed Secretariat. Not sure he got the crop once in the second half of the race. There is no disputing that Secretariat was the greatest of all time.
Except for the horse racing equivalent of a GannonFan, who will argue Man o’ War’s case. :D.

It’s hard to argue with the standing record for 45 years at all three jewels though.

And Secretariat did it the wrong way at all three tracks: way back to start the Derby and Preakness and then setting the pace at Belmont.

Ugh, my Belmont comment made me think of poor Smarty Jones again. That race still makes me mad. Stewart Elliott blew it.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
89Hen wrote: 93 blew up your point. Nobody pushed Secretariat. Not sure he got the crop once in the second half of the race. There is no disputing that Secretariat was the greatest of all time.
Except for the horse racing equivalent of a GannonFan, who will argue Man o’ War’s case. :D.

It’s hard to argue with the standing record for 45 years at all three jewels though.

And Secretariat did it the wrong way at all three tracks: way back to start the Derby and Preakness and then setting the pace at Belmont.

Ugh, my Belmont comment made me think of poor Smarty Jones again. That race still makes me mad. Stewart Elliott blew it.
Well, let's be honest, Man o' War had a great name. And he knocked the crap out of Sir Barton in that match race. And his only loss was when they were using a starting net rather than gates up at Saratoga. And his son, War Admiral, won the Triple Crown, and his grandsire was Seabiscuit and there's plenty of Man o' War genes in both Seattle Slew and American Pharaoh. But that Sam Riddle guy owned him and he was a meany in the Seabiscuit movie so maybe not!
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: You clearly pointed out the differences (drugs, heart, etc.) and there is no disputing that.
:suspicious:
My point is that Justify wasn't racing the record, he was racing the other horses in the race. Why jump out to a blistering pace if you are not sure if you can finish. You jump out front at a good pace and save a kick for the end.
What's so hard to understand?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Well, let's be honest, Man o' War had a great name. And he knocked the crap out of Sir Barton in that match race. And his only loss was when they were using a starting net rather than gates up at Saratoga. And his son, War Admiral, won the Triple Crown, and his grandsire was Seabiscuit and there's plenty of Man o' War genes in both Seattle Slew and American Pharaoh. But that Sam Riddle guy owned him and he was a meany in the Seabiscuit movie so maybe not!
You forgot to mention that he is Bloodhorse’s GOAT.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:
89Hen wrote: 93 blew up your point. Nobody pushed Secretariat. Not sure he got the crop once in the second half of the race. There is no disputing that Secretariat was the greatest of all time.
:suspicious:
My point is that Justify wasn't racing the record, he was racing the other horses in the race. Why jump out to a blistering pace if you are not sure if you can finish. You jump out front at a good pace and save a kick for the end.
Each of Secretariats splits were faster than the previous. The reason he set the record is because he was the fastest horse in history, without being pushed. It wasn't like he hung on after a blistering start.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: :suspicious:
Each of Secretariats splits were faster than the previous. The reason he set the record is because he was the fastest horse in history, without being pushed. It wasn't like he hung on after a blistering start.
Good for him. What does any of that have to do with Justify's race?