Masters Banned Phrase List

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Masters Banned Phrase List

Post by kalm »

CitadelGrad wrote:
kalm wrote:
Yeah, I'll bite.... :lol:

One of the most popular events on tour and and the exception to the rule:

phpBB [video]

I actually think golf needs more of this. There's a vocal minority of purist curmudgeons that don't, but bluetooth speakers in carts, music piped to the driving range at less traditional facilities, and encouraged heckling events like horse races and Muni Madness are gaining popularity and helping the game.

As for whether it's a sport, that comment is only made by simpletons who never played or who tried it a few times and weren't coordinated or athletic enough to meet their own expectations of how easy it should be. :nod:

Michael Jordan
Wayne Gretzky
Stephen Curry
Tony Romo
Johnny Bench
Charles Barkley
Drew Brees
Ben Rothlisberger
Brett Favre
Pete Sampras
Brett Hall
Mike Scmidt.....

all disagree. But what the hell do they know? :kisswink:

(Spits out the hook and swims away)
Actually, I played for several years but only because my father forced me to. He finally figured out I really didn't like the game when I took a sledgehammer to my clubs.
Both my boys have played since they were little. They never developed a true passion for the game and I never forced it. Neither have put the reps in to be talented but the youngest could be varsity as a freshman however he doesn't "like competitive golf" and chose not to play. The oldest (after lettering as a sophomore last season) rode the fence all winter, wanting to work on grades (which he's done very well at). I offered to help him with his swing, he declined. At one point he admitted he was really stressed about letting me down if he didn't play. I tried to reassure him that it's his decision and I'm fine either way. He went to the team meeting before the season started and felt an obligation to play for his teammates (they're decent as a team and he could help them win their first league title in a long time as the 4th man).

I try to keep this in mind.

“Nothing has a stronger influence psychologically on their environment and especially on their children than the unlived life of the parent.”

― C.G. Jung

(I'm actually more pissed that they won't go fishing with me... :mrgreen: )
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:

“Nothing has a stronger influence psychologically on their environment and especially on their children than the unlived life of the parent.”

― C.G. Jung
"Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight"
-- Wang Chung
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
kalm wrote:

― C.G. Jung
"Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight"
-- Wang Chung
:ohno:
Spoiler: show
:rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

CitadelGrad wrote:Golf isn't a sport. It's an activity -- and a pretty useless one at that.
Ah, the old what's a sport folly. There's always one guy in the crowd. :coffee:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote:
CitadelGrad wrote:Golf isn't a sport. It's an activity -- and a pretty useless one at that.
Hey you scratched my anchor!

A 4 hour walk is more of an athletic effort than 12 minutes of play, 6 minutes on each side of the ball in an NFL game.
I thought this debate was over when Casey Martin was allowed to use a cart following a SCOTUS decision during Tour events due to his birth defect. Unfortunately, it reared its ugly head again in 2013, and with Martin himself again. Then the HC at Oregon, he was thrown off the course at the US Junior Amateur qualifier in Oceanslime for violating USGA rules, simply because he was now classified as a "spectator." SMH....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/g ... n/2458135/

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Hey you scratched my anchor!

A 4 hour walk is more of an athletic effort than 12 minutes of play, 6 minutes on each side of the ball in an NFL game.
I thought this debate was over when Casey Martin was allowed to use a cart following a SCOTUS decision during Tour events due to his birth defect. Unfortunately, it reared its ugly head again in 2013, and with Martin himself again. Then the HC at Oregon, he was thrown off the course at the US Junior Amateur qualifier in Oceanslime for violating USGA rules, simply because he was now classified as a "spectator." SMH....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/g ... n/2458135/
Walk a mile in Casey’s shoes, SH... :ohno:
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

Gil Dobie wrote:These are the dumb phrases that you are not allowed to yell at this years Masters.

Bryce Ritchie
@Bryce_bunkered
Just been told security staff at Augusta National have been handed a sheet with a list of sayings that are prohibited. I'm told "dilly dilly" is one of them. Patrons who shout out these phrases will be "removed" immediately. #themasters

Last month, Sergio Garcia had a fan ejected; Rory McIlroy said he needed ibuprofen after being in a group with Tiger because of his exuberant fans. McIlroy also had a fan ejected for repeatedly shouting “Erica,” his wife’s name.

“It’s gotten a little much,” McIlroy said afterwards.

Link

FULL LIST:
Dilly Dilly
Baba Booey
Mashed Potatoes
You da/the man
I love Martha Burk
Sweep the leg, Johnny
Anika Sorenstam loves trapeze
Free Meek
Dinklage for President
To infinity and beyond!
Activate the glutes
Jimmy Carter eats peanuts
Hey security can you pick me out of this sea of people?
RIP Harambe
Nobody beats the Wiz
Brandel’s my daddy
Bikini wax
Drive it Miss Daisy
(Insert band name) should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Can you hear me now? (Good)
Hashtag (anything)
So the new game is to see what creative phrases you can shout between shots that get added to next year's list (beyond the stale "hey Tiger, do you inhale or exhale on your backswing? or on your downstroke in bed?")...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Masters Banned Phrase List

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
Ah, the old what's a sport folly. There's always one guy in the crowd. :coffee:
And I'm that guy. :D

Did somebody add "Noonan?". That would be awesome during a critical putt (or a key move in a chess match for the equally faint of heart).
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Masters Banned Phrase List

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
89Hen wrote: Ah, the old what's a sport folly. There's always one guy in the crowd. :coffee:
And I'm that guy. :D

Did somebody add "Noonan?". That would be awesome during a critical putt (or a key move in a chess match for the equally faint of heart).
You’re supposed to be undecided on what’s a sport... :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Masters Banned Phrase List

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote:And I'm that guy. :D

Is that the same as wishy washy? Something along the lines of "I'm not sure if golf is a sport. It does take some concentration and you do walk a short distance. But you don't even carry your own clubs and there isn't much stamina required except for waving down the beverage cart." ;)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote:
Is that the same as wishy washy? Something along the lines of "I'm not sure if golf is a sport. It does take some concentration and you do walk a short distance. But you don't even carry your own clubs and there isn't much stamina required except for waving down the beverage cart." ;)
I'm not saying it's the most physically demanding sport...but it's a sport. And remember, Doc Ellis threw a no-hitter for the Pirates after dropping acid.

Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote:
Golf may be the only major "sport" where historically it's greatest players have all won its biggest championships while chain smoking during the competition...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Masters Banned Phrase List

Post by UNI88 »

Rob Iola wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Is that the same as wishy washy? Something along the lines of "I'm not sure if golf is a sport. It does take some concentration and you do walk a short distance. But you don't even carry your own clubs and there isn't much stamina required except for waving down the beverage cart." ;)
Golf may be the only major "sport" where historically it's greatest players have all won its biggest championships while chain smoking during the competition...
Did Minnesota Fats smoke?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Masters Banned Phrase List

Post by Gil Dobie »

Rob Iola wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Is that the same as wishy washy? Something along the lines of "I'm not sure if golf is a sport. It does take some concentration and you do walk a short distance. But you don't even carry your own clubs and there isn't much stamina required except for waving down the beverage cart." ;)

I can remember high school basketball games, where you walked into a concourse full of smoke. Even had people smoking in the cube beside me at work, as late as the 1980's.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »