2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: 2018 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote:Nice crowd at the track today, which was encouraging. Stated capacity of Vegas is 115K. I'm guessing 100k were there at least. Only a few small empty patches in the corners.

By contrast, Dover has reduced its seating capacity from the 140K it used to sell out regularly down to 85k, and they're lucky to get 50K on a good day, with massive empty patches and advertising tarps placed over several entire sections, even after ripping out Turn 2 and 3 seating.
Yeah, I was surprised at Vegas looking that full. Ironically the only other track I know of besides surprisingly Kentucky (local ordinance) that doesn't let fans bring in their own coolers. I remember thinking last year when I had looked at going to the Vegas race (didn't go) thinking they need to be doing everything they can to stem the attendance loss, and not allowing coolers doesn't help.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:Nice crowd at the track today, which was encouraging. Stated capacity of Vegas is 115K. I'm guessing 100k were there at least. Only a few small empty patches in the corners.

By contrast, Dover has reduced its seating capacity from the 140K it used to sell out regularly down to 85k, and they're lucky to get 50K on a good day, with massive empty patches and advertising tarps placed over several entire sections, even after ripping out Turn 2 and 3 seating.
I'm foregoing Dover for Richmond again, although I'd still like to check out a race there sometime (perhaps as soon as the playoffs). It does suck that NASCAR's viewership and ticket sales are on the decline, but that's also the case with almost any other sport. I do think as a whole, it still does the best job in creating a festive family atmosphere, but it's gotten a bit pricey to actually experience that atmosphere.

My decent seats at the Richmond Raceway were $120 with another $30 for a scanner rental. And even then, there's no amenities, I might get rained on, I can't access most of the pre-race festivities unless I pay $50, and I can't get a tailgating spot unless I fork up another $50.
You can get good decent seats at RIR IMHOP for $75. 2013 through last year I went to 5 RIR races. The 1st 2 races tickets were $95 (+ processing fee). The last 3 were $75. Looking now most everything RIR shows is $20-$105. Only the Commonwealth Tower show show $95-$120. If you're paying $120 at RIR you're paying for the most expensive tickets (outside of suites/clubs).

I've never paid for parking at RIR. They have multiple Gen admission lots that don't charge, where lots of people tailgate...

Sometimes you can get pit passes for no extra (I get bombarded with mail & e-mail from ISC & SMI tracks). I got pit passes a couple times at Dover with AAA specials that included discounted tickets, up close parking & pit passes. Last 2 fall Martinsville got $65 tickets with pit passes included months beforehand on 1 day flash sales. Got them once at Pocono on a pre sale Terrace Club seats came with pit passes included. Not sure if RIR ever does anything similar...

IMHOP if you're just going to 1 race a year not worth buying a scanner/headphones. 2 races a year maybe. 3 or more a year definitely worth it..
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

As a converted F1 fan, I will say that is the ONLY area that doesn’t top Brian France-era NASCAR: team communications are encrypted, so no scanning. Any transmissions you get are tape-delayed (usually a minute or two) and served by a third party after being cleared by F1 and NBC (ESPN starting 2018).

The good thing is, with the current F1 engine package, you don’t really need headphones, and you can hear ~75% of the race broadcast over the house PA between cars at the track. It was a more comfortable race day experience for my son and me than a typical NASCAR race.

Gawdammit F1 can’t start soon enough.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Now 3 day old news, but Harvick's team receives major penalties after Vegas, basically an encumbered win, although NASCAR not using that term anymore.
Not a big deal:
-Cannot use the win for playoff eligibility, but with the win at Atlanta he's still in.
-Loses 20 owner points.
-Car chief suspended 2 races.
-Crew chief fined 50k.
Big deal:
-Loses 7 playoff bonus points for winning the 2 stages & race.
-Loses 20 driver points- regular season points winner gets an additional 15 bonus playoff points, 2nd place gets 10 additional. Harvick drops from 1st to 3rd in the regular season points behind Logano & Blaney.

"...rear windshield support braces on Harvick’s car failing to keep rear the rear windshield rigid in all directions. Officials also determined the right side rocker panel extension (the bottom of the side skirt) did not meet NASCAR specifications, with the extension not being made of aluminum."
https://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2018/3/ ... y-childers

The thing is, Harvick's rear windshield only bowed in when the car was at speed. When it slowed it popped back out, so it wasn't noticeable..The 4 team is claiming innocence, saying just a broken part, and no advantage gained. Others are saying they probably did gain a sleight advantage..
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Claiming innocence when you had a stiffer sideskirt than aluminum is laughable.

"Oh yeah, we're not sure how that stiffer panel made of the space-age material got on there. We'll be sure to check with our QC folks. Honest mistake!"

The toying with sideskirts the past few years has been hilarious. I forget which crew it was a couple of years ago that had crewmen pulling out the skirts on the first pit stop, but I know it was a JGR team. It definitely puts more downforce on the right rear tire.

As far as the rear windshield support, also not a mistake. More aerodynamic, so benefits gained in speed and fuel. Ever looked close at the roofline on a Prius? Those two indentations are there for a reason:

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote:The thing is, Harvick's rear windshield only bowed in when the car was at speed. When it slowed it popped back out, so it wasn't noticeable..The 4 team is claiming innocence, saying just a broken part, and no advantage gained. Others are saying they probably did gain a sleight advantage..
So, "slight" advantage, or an advantage due to "sleight of hand?"

Sounds like either could be valid here. Nice catch, BDK.
Last edited by SuperHornet on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Harvick gets a 3rd straight win in Phoenix, although as mentioned, the Vegas victory had issues.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Didn’t watch a lap. How was the race?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:Didn’t watch a lap. How was the race?
It was pretty good and exciting until I fell asleep sometime after Stage 2. But I had just come back from two straight days of partying at a mountain cabin so I was tired as hell.

On TV, attendance looked great.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

There was 25 laps or so of really good racing, from around 90 something laps to go until 70 something to go. Was about a doz laps when Hamlin was leading & Harvick was right on him but couldn't make the pass. Then Kyle Busch then caught up & they were going at it for a while in a 3 way battle for the lead. Kyle passed them both, then Harvick passed Hamlin, then Elliott I think passed Hamlin- Hamlin used up his stuff trying to hold off Harvick for so long. Green flag pit stops Busch stayed out a few laps longer & it backfired. Several others stayed out way longer, hoping for a yellow, but there was none. Last 2 to pit running 1-2 were Keselowski, who started running out of gas & Newman. When Newman pitted Harvick retook the lead and cruised to the checkered.

Harvick had the best car, but didn't totally dominate like ATL & Vegas. Kyle Busch actually led the most laps.
Attendance looked good, but not as good as Vegas.
Top 10 was all 4 SHR, all 4 JGR, Truex (3rd straight top 5), and the lone Chevy of Elliott.
Jimmie Johnson goes his 27th points race without a win, and 10th straight without a top 10. Believe those are both career highs..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Forgot to mention Harvick's 3 wins in a row is the 1st time since Logano did it in 2015. 1st driver over 40 to win 3 in a row since Harry Gant in 1991..
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BDKJMU wrote:Forgot to mention Harvick's 3 wins in a row is the 1st time since Logano did it in 2015. 1st driver over 40 to win 3 in a row since Harry Gant in 1991..
Flaggy TRIGGERED
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

So, anyone care to guess who SH's new favorite NASCAR driver is? My money's on 93, SDH, or Andy....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote:So, anyone care to guess who SH's new favorite NASCAR driver is? My money's on 93, SDH, or Andy....
Image??
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Lowe's, the home improvement chain that has sponsored Jimmie Johnson since his NASCAR Cup Series debut in 2001, announced Wednesday that it won't return to the seven-time champion's car after this season. The company is leaving the sport and will not sponsor any car next year.
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/22766304

This is following Home Depot and Target's recent departures, among others.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:This is following Home Depot and Target's recent departures, among others.
Makes sense. It's a dying sport. Maybe they'll get into rugby.
WWII
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by WWII »

Tying in rugby, one of my old rugby team mates son is Keven Harvick's business mgr. so I've become a Harvick fan. The son was a placekicker in college and was in the arena football league for a while.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SuperHornet wrote:So, anyone care to guess who SH's new favorite NASCAR driver is? My money's on 93, SDH, or Andy....
Here is my new favorite vadriver:

Natalie Decker
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

ESPN releases F1 broadcast schedule. Generally speaking P1 & P2 will be online only (ESPN3), P3 will be on ESPN News, Q will be on ESPN2, and R will be on either ABC, ESPN, or ESPN2 depending on the typical ratings (ie. USGP, Monaco, Canada, Mexico, Brazil get the ABC treatment sort of like they got NBC instead of NBCSN last year). Good to see Germany back on the schedule this year: http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/22757 ... edule-2018

I will miss the NBC broadcast team of David Hobbs, Leigh Diffey, and Steve Matchett in studio and Will Buxton at track. ESPN is not going to put together their own production but rather will pipe in the feed of the UK production from Sky Sports F1: https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsport ... stitution/

I love that they bumped all the European races back an hour. Perfect for going to Sunday breakfast and then coming home and watching the race live at 9am. That's what I loved about living in California. First NFL games at 10am. MNF as soon as you get home from work. Perfect.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Hailie Deegan and Natalie Decker are definitely up-and-comers in the sport. For all the crap Danica Patrick gets as a driver, she at least captured the imagination of younger girls to get into motor sports (both cite her as an inspiration) and is a great ambassador for NASCAR.

Hopefully Deegan/Decker will be more successful (and should be considering they'll have more stock car experience than Patrick ever did before she jumped into the sport).

NASCAR really is the only major sport in the US where men and women can be competitive on the same field. While it's declining now, that may benefit it if more women become successful. :twocents:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Hailie Deegan and Natalie Decker are definitely up-and-comers in the sport. For all the crap Danica Patrick gets as a driver, she at least captured the imagination of younger girls to get into motor sports (both cite her as an inspiration) and is a great ambassador for NASCAR.

Hopefully Deegan/Decker will be more successful (and should be considering they'll have more stock car experience than Patrick ever did before she jumped into the sport).
Those two may have actual talent. Time will tell. Danica was just not a good driver. Spin it however you want, but she was dreadful. The only reason she hung around was because she had a pretty face for advertising. Those are just the facts.

Janet Guthrie had better stats in the Winston Cup Series 40 years ago. Finished top 10 in 15% of her Cup starts (vs 3% for Danica) and highest point finish was 23rd (vs 24th for Danica). Janet's problem was that she made a bulldog look pretty if she stood next to it. Otherwise, she'd have been around longer than the Go Daddy girl. She could actually drive, and those cars were much more difficult to wrestle around a track back then.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

You'll never hear me argue she was a great driver compared to her peers...I'm not sure where you think I'm spinning something. I'm just arguing she was/is a great ambassador for NASCAR.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

NASCAR levied a P1 penalty on Chase Elliott's team in Wed:

"...NASCAR determined that the car violated the rule that the trailing arm and pinion angle mating surfaces must be in complete contact at all points at all times..."

-Docked 25 points.
-Suspended car chief 2 races.
-Crew chief Alan Gustafson fined $50k

-Dropped Elliott from 16th to 23rd in the standings.
-Elliott also cannot use the third-place finish to determine any tiebreaker in the standings, in which the tiebreaker is best finish.
-HMS will appeal the penalty

"...NASCAR issued $10,000 fines to five NASCAR Cup crew chiefs -- Mike Wheeler (driver Denny Hamlin), Jeremy Bullins (Ryan Blaney), Brian Pattie (Ricky Stenhouse Jr.), Todd Gordon (Joey Logano) and Cole Pearn (Martin Truex Jr.) -- for having one lug nut not secure on the car post-race...."
http://scores.espn.com/racing/story/_/i ... -violation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Autoclub Qualifying-Truex on the pole for the 2nd straight week. Harvick won the 1st 2 rounds, but had a bobble in the final. Think he is the car to beat.
1. Martin Truex Jr. (38.592)
2. Kyle Busch (38.619)
3. Kyle Larson (38.683)
4. Erik Jones (38.770)
5. Austin Dillon (38.770)
6. Joey Logano (38.798)
7. Kurt Busch (38.880)
8. Ryan Blaney (38.903)
9. Ryan Newman (38.903)
10. Kevin Harvick (39.038)
I don't watch that much qualifying, but I've never seen over 1/3 of the field fail to even turn a qualifying lap because they couldn't pass inspection (I think most failed it 3 times):
The 4 Hendrick cars turned ZERO qualifying laps. Might not be a big deal for top cars that didn't qualify, as they will all have the advantage of being on fresh tires:
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story ... b-speedway
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Lowe's, the home improvement chain that has sponsored Jimmie Johnson since his NASCAR Cup Series debut in 2001, announced Wednesday that it won't return to the seven-time champion's car after this season. The company is leaving the sport and will not sponsor any car next year.
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/22766304

This is following Home Depot and Target's recent departures, among others.
This is a big blow to NASCAR. I wouldnt have been surprised if they had stuck with Johnson until he retired in a few years years and then completely pulled out. Surprised it will be after this season.

I doubt this would happen, but would be funny if Home Depot stepped in and said (in a way to stick it to their rival company) we'll sponsor you for the last few years of your career..

In other sponsor news,
"Busch returns as 'Official Beer of NASCAR'

....Busch beer has returned as the “Official Beer of NASCAR” after a two-decade absence, taking over the slot vacated by Coors Light at the end of last season.

The Budweiser-owned brand was NASCAR’s official beer sponsor from 1988-1997, followed by Budweiser itself through 2007...."
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/03/16/ ... ascar.html