2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Re: 2018 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

93henfan wrote: With a Chase format I cannot stand, going on 15 years now, a stage format that is completely artificial and cheesy, Toyota dominating the sport, wildly arbitrary rules enforcement, and commercial, after commercial, after commercial, I’m all done following fervently. It’s too much of a chore for too little return.
Yep it's true. NASCAR has completely lost its' way. It is amazing that an organization could have so little understanding of what made it popular and then let outsiders (the major networks), who were only interested in the bucks with no other care for the sport, force changes on them.

Oh well. It sure does free up those race weekends.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

TheDancinMonarch wrote:
93henfan wrote: With a Chase format I cannot stand, going on 15 years now, a stage format that is completely artificial and cheesy, Toyota dominating the sport, wildly arbitrary rules enforcement, and commercial, after commercial, after commercial, I’m all done following fervently. It’s too much of a chore for too little return.
Yep it's true. NASCAR has completely lost its' way. It is amazing that an organization could have so little understanding of what made it popular and then let outsiders (the major networks), who were only interested in the bucks with no other care for the sport, force changes on them.

Oh well. It sure does free up those race weekends.
Amen. Delaware Football freed up my Saturdays and NASCAR is helping with Sundays. That’s another thing I love about F1: 2 hour time limit (which is rarely needed, except for a deluge of rain). And no rainouts.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Kyle Busch wins at TX (also wins with the 2nd stage). Busch's 5th straight top 3 finish (2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st)

Harvick was 2nd (also won the 1st stage). 3rd 1st-2nd finish between Harvick & Bush this season, Harvick had the best car and probably would have won if not for pit road issues, which a # of drivers had.
-Had a lug nut get stuck in the jack.
-Had a loose wheel (A # of drivers had them: also Johnson, Harvick, Blaney, Elliott, Almendinger, others. Probably because of issues with the NASCAR issued pit guns).
-Had a too many men over the wall penalty (caused by an uncontrolled tire)..
-Last stop clearly should have been called for an uncontrolled tire as the rule reads, but NASCAR didn’t. What a crock- they probably didn’t want to ruin a chance at a Busch/Harvick battle at the end, which they got.

Weather caused a lot of issues with set ups. High of 86 for Friday's qualifying, which was cancelled after the 1st round due to lightning from a cold front moving in. Sat morning's practice had a low of 33 with 20+ mps winds. Crazy. Then the race Sun saw a high of 57..

-A # of blown right front tires in turn 2 causing drivers to slam the wall and be done for the day (Truex near the end of Stage 1 when he was running 2nd, Larson, Newman).

-Big final stage wreck that involved 7 cars, knocked out the race Hamlin, Almirola & Keselowski, all of whom were running Top 12, and Johnson, who was a lap down. Saw graphic that said 29 wrecked cars at Daytona, only 12 in the next 5 races, 14 on Sunday at TX.
Race highlights.
phpBB [video]
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Ok, William Byron? At Autoclub he ran his primary sponsor (I believe for most of the season) Axalta. At Martinsville his primary is Liberty Univ, which he ran at Atlanta.
BDK for the win.

:D
He finished 10th on Sun, his 1st Top 10 of the season. Was the highest Headrick car (Elliott was 11th, Bowman 28th (wrecked), Johnson 35th (wrecked).

Point standings among Hendrick drivers after 7 races:
-14th Bowman
-15th Elliott
-18th Byron (Bubba Wallace is 19th in the battle between Byron and Wallace for rookie of the year).
-21st Johnson (was 17th coming into TX).
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Just watched the highlights of the Chinese Grand Prix; it looks like it was an exciting race with a shock win by Daniel Riccardio/Red Bull. I'll definitely have to catch the replay (too bad it was so early).
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Just watched the highlights of the Chinese Grand Prix; it looks like it was an exciting race with a shock win by Daniel Riccardio/Red Bull. I'll definitely have to catch the replay (too bad it was so early).
Red Bulls smartly capitalized on the safety car (due to Toro Rosso incident) to pit and get fresh tires over Ferrari and Mercedes. Easy pickings for Ricciardo with fresh tires. Verstappen should have also been right there at the end, but like the impatient fool he is, he overdrove and took himself out trying to force past Vettel, taking them both out.

IMHO, Ricciardo is the most likable guy in the field, so that was cool. He chose #3 years ago to honor Dale Earnhardt.

Shoey!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Great crowd at Bristol today. Maybe 10,000. I know it rained, but southern folks are usually pretty hardy.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'm watching the third stage at Bristol right now while listening to it on the radio.

I'm doing this every time from now on; the radio broadcast is 1000x better than Fox.

(This is a great race btw. I really wish NASCAR would schedule more short tracks.)
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

∞∞∞ wrote:I'm watching the third stage at Bristol right now while listening to it on the radio.

I'm doing this every time from now on; the radio broadcast is 1000x better than Fox.

(This is a great race btw. I really wish NASCAR would schedule more short tracks.)
Of course the radio broadcast is better, Be it Fox or later in the season NBC, the TV people are gearing their broadcast to non-fans who get bored with cars going in circles. The radio folks are the eyes and ears to what is actually happening and all the info provided, word pictures if you will, are provided to the basic fan of auto racing.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:I'm watching the third stage at Bristol right now while listening to it on the radio.

Yes, short tracks are the best on the schedule and MRN/PRN is far better than TV.

And I went to school with Mike Bagley. He was a stuttering mofo as a kid. His success in broadcasting is not without irony and a shitload of perseverence.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Cassill with a top 20 finish.

Best ever finish for Starcom.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

And just like that starcom gives the car to Joey Gase (also from Cedar Rapids) for Talledega.

I guess Landon getting back to back highest finish ever for them wasn’t good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote:Great crowd at Bristol today. Maybe 10,000. I know it rained, but southern folks are usually pretty hardy.
Well they were calling for rain starting late AM and goin all day. If I had tickets I wouln’t have gone on Sunday- I assumed they wouldn’t even start the race, much less finish it. I was wrong on the 1st part as they got a little bit of a window after moving the start up 1 hour. But damn- 4 red flags on Sun over nearly 3 1/2 hours- 3 due to rain and 1 on 1 of the 2 big wrecks. And they still only got about 40% of the race in. They should have just moved the whole thing to Monday. That being said it could have been calling for 75 and sunny and I bet there wouldn’t have been more than 50-60k there at the 153k capacity track. Aug night race could get over 100k if good weather. Night race so much better atmosphere IMHOP (been to 2 night and 1 day race).

Anyway, results:
Sucks for Larson to lead the most laps and finish 2nd, and for Blaney to lead 100 of the 1st 117 and get caught up in that wreck.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Couple of day old news, but the Ford Mustang, which Ford has been running in Xfinity since 2011, is coming to Cup next season, replacing the Fusion. Like the new Camry had for the 1st half of last season, and the new Chevy Camaro ZL1 is having now, there’s bound to be teething problems until the Ford teams get the balance down.
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story ... eries-2019
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

GORGEOUS day for racing here in Richmond. Looking like it'll be packed.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Great atmosphere. Great race. AWFUL ending.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Great atmosphere. Great race. AWFUL ending.
They don't race anymore in NASCAR. They just make laps. That's what a chase format does.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

93henfan wrote:
They don't race anymore in NASCAR. They just make laps. That's what a chase format does.
From what I’ve seen that’s all F1 is. Actually more so what F1 is.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

clenz wrote:
93henfan wrote:
From what I’ve seen that’s all F1 is. Actually more so what F1 is.

Not at all. Here's Lewis Hamilton with a triple overtake this season.

phpBB [video]

Granted, open wheel cars can't bang all over each other like NASCAR. Here's what happen when they try to. An entire team of Ferraris and several million dollars up in smoke. :lol:

phpBB [video]

I'm so glad I found F1 after many years of resistance. It's better than NASCAR in just about every way. :nod:
Last edited by 93henfan on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:
No pits during caution and caution laps don't count towards the race.

It's not a difficult solution.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I’ve watched a few. There’s like 5 passes in the entire race. I get it’s faster and has more dramatic crashes but you’re critique is still fitting for F1.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:
No pits during caution and caution laps don't count towards the race.

It's not a difficult solution.
I'm not going to get started again on NASCAR. It's not worth my time. They did right to copy F1's qualifying format. There are many more things from F1 they should copy that would make it a lot better, but I don't want to make a JSO-length post about NASCAR anymore.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Hey, if anyone wants my Dover ticket, let me know. I have zero desire to use my family's season tickets that we've had for 49 years.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

F1 is about technology. I love it, but it's essentially a race between 4 cars.

You'll get a surprise every 1 in 10 races, but parity is significantly larger in F1 than NASCAR. Rules in F1 are better though. NASCAR with F1 rules would be the bomb.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:F1 is about technology. I love it, but it's essentially a race between 4 cars.

You'll get a surprise every 1 in 10 races, but parity is significantly larger in F1 than NASCAR. Rules in F1 are better though. NASCAR with F1 rules would be the bomb.
No disagreements.

Although, I'd up 4 to 6 this season. If Verstappen ever gets his head on straight, he is going to be awesome. He's the best starter, and has the biggest balls. He just needs to shrink them slightly and grow his brain equally.