2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I figured we can combine all-things into one thread for the seasons of the "Big 3."

As always, it kicks off with the Daytona 500 next week; Bowman won the pole today with the 88 car (Earnhardt Jr's old car). Obviously one of the stories going into next Sunday is Daytona being Danica Patrick's last race in NASCAR (we'll see her again at the Indy 500). She finished 28th of 40 in qualifications, and I highly doubt her car/team can pull off any sort of top finish, but I'm still sad to see her leave the series. Obviously her results were never great, but she definitely brought new fans into the fold...and inspired young female drivers that we'll see sometime in the next few years (Natalie Decker, Hailee Deegan).
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2018 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

Post by 93henfan »

Wake me up when F1 starts (March 25).

I'm post-NASCAR and never-was-Indy.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:Wake me up when F1 starts (March 25).

F1 should be good this year with the changes; only three engines can be used per season and there's now 7 tire compounds. There's a few other technical changes to the cars, but those first two makes for a lot of interesting choices in the course of a season and individual race.

With the engine change, hopefully it gives the smaller teams a better chance to compete with the big dogs of F1. A few teams couldn't afford to run four engines in optimal condition the last couple of years.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:Wake me up when F1 starts (March 25).

F1 should be good this year with the changes; only three engines can be used per season and there's now 7 tire compounds. There's a few other technical changes to the cars, but those first two makes for a lot of interesting choices in the course of a season and individual race.

With the engine change, hopefully it gives the smaller teams a better chance to compete with the big dogs of F1. A few teams couldn't afford to run four engines in optimal condition the last couple of years.
Yes, McClaren was the driving force behind that vote, and hopefully they become relevant again.

It'll still be a MB-AMG/Scuderia Ferrari battle for 1/2 again and should be fun to watch. Hamilton and Vettel both trying to get to 5 first. Vettel was almost back last year and then ran into some shit luck. It doesn't help that he has a temper that Hamilton knows how to trigger. :lol:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

You heard it here, first. Danica's going out with wins at Daytona and Indy....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SuperHornet wrote:You heard it here, first. Danica's going out with wins at Daytona and Indy....
Danny White (the immortal) second? Gary Hogeboom third?

A girl can dream, right?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: F1 should be good this year with the changes; only three engines can be used per season and there's now 7 tire compounds. There's a few other technical changes to the cars, but those first two makes for a lot of interesting choices in the course of a season and individual race.

Yes, McClaren was the driving force behind that vote, and hopefully they become relevant again.

It'll still be a MB-AMG/Scuderia Ferrari battle for 1/2 again and should be fun to watch. Hamilton and Vettel both trying to get to 5 first. Vettel was almost back last year and then ran into some **** luck. It doesn't help that he has a temper that Hamilton knows how to trigger. :lol:
Hmmm, didn't realize it was McLaren which fought for those changes; I'm a Sahara fan, so I'm ok with it..maybe they'll get a Top 3 finish this year in one race with the change. I do want to see McLaren become relevant again, and I think with the Renault partnership, they'll compete in a few races (along with Red Bull). But I'm with you, it'll be MB-AMG and Scuderia Ferrari again for the Constructors' Cup.

Also :lol: at SH.

edit: As for NASCAR, I'll probably be at Dover this year. I've always gone to Richmond, but as I've never been to Dover, I think I'm going to switch it up this year since it's the next closest track.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Chevy: Bye bye SS, hello Camaro ZL1
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/08/11/ ... -2018.html
And the #88 is on the pole for Daytona
https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/video/1159062595668
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Top 7 in qualifying for the 500 are Chevy & Toyota. Highest qualifying Ford was 8th.
The Clash at Daytona today- Keselowski wins, and the top 4 were Fords. Go figure.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Slew of new rules changes...
1. Pit Crew & team rosters.
Biggest is over the wall on pit stops drops from 6 allowed to 5.
Also During pit stops the refueler no longer be allowed to perform other duties
Limiting the # of other personnel for each team allowed at the track.
2. New Hawkeye system for pre race inspection: 8 projectors/17 cameras (1 underneath the car)
http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/ ... ess-works/
3. More time for repairs
4. Penalty adjusted for too many crew members making repairs
5. Common pit gun
6. High speed camera in cars
7. No ride-height rules for restrictor-plate races
8. Sealed engine rule
9. Backup car automatically to the rear
10. Side skirt rules
11. Daytona 500 engine/impound rule prior to duels
12. No exceptions to pitting outside the box
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story ... anges-2018
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

The new Camaro body-style is such a good looking chassis (and ironically has more visibility than an actual Camaro). That said, the front-end of the car looks like it'll catch air and create resistance, but I trust the engineers know what they're doing (and the car obviously placed well at the Daytona pole).
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

#9 raced at The Clash is a fine looking piece of machinery:

That green.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote:You heard it here, first. Danica's going out with wins at Daytona and Indy....
First? Like anyone else is stupid enough to say that. :rofl:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:#9 raced at The Clash is a fine looking piece of machinery:

That green.
Totally agree. :nod:

Texted same to Flaggy during the Clash.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:I'm post-NASCAR
You and everyone else.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Not that anyone cares, but changes among the top 30 or so teams.
Chevy:
Hendrick:
-Junior retired, #88 taken over by Alex Bowman.
-William Byron replaces Kasey Kahne, whose contract wasn't renewed. Byron will drive the #24.
-Chase Elliott switching from to #9 that his daddy Awesome Bill from Dawsonville drove.
-Jimmy Johnson now the old man at Hendrick. In the last 3 years has gone from having fellow 40+ year olds in Gordon & Junior & the 30 something Kahne to having 3 teammates in their early-mid 20s.
Richard Childress Racing:
-RCR goes from 3 cars to 2 (#3 driven by Austin Dillon, #31 driven by Ryan Newman). Paul Menard leaves to drive the Wood Brother’s #21 Ford. RCR has shut down the 27 team.
-RCR now has a technical alliance with 3 single car teams- Germain Racings #13 driven by Ty Dillon, Leavine Family Racing's #95, now being driven by Kahne, who took over for Michael McDowell & RPM’s #43 driven by Bubba Wallace.
Richard Petty Motorsports:
-Makes a manufacturer switch from Ford to Chevy & form a technical alliance with RCR, opening up shop on RCR’s campus.
-Bubba Wallace moves up from Xfinity to take over RPM’s famous #43 car, replacing Aric Almirola who went to Stewart-Haas Racing,
No changes:
Chip Ganassi Racing: Kyle Larson still driving the #42, but no longer with Target as the sponsor as has been the case his 1st 4 seasons, as Target exits NASCAR. Jamie McMurray still in the #1.
JTG Daugherty Racing: A. J. Allmendinger still driving the #47 & Chris Buescher still driving the #37.

Ford:
Stewart-Haas Racing (now the most senior team in NASCAR, all 4 drivers in their mid 30s to early 40s).
-Danica Patrick retires from Cup, will be making sammies. #10 now driven by Almirola.
-Kevin Harvick still in the #4, Clint Bowyer still in the #14, Kurt Busch still in the #41.
Penske
-Ryan Blaney leaves the Wood brothers #21 to drive a 3rd Penske car, the #12.
-Brad Keselowski still in the Penske #2, Logano still in the #22
Wood Brothers: (Still have tight alliance with Penske)
-Paul Menard comes over from RCR to drive the Wood Brother’s #21.
Front Row Motorsports (still have alliance with Rousch Fenway).
-Michael McDowell replaces Landon Cassill in the #34.
-David Reagan returns in the #38.
No changes:
Rousch Fenway Racing: Ricky Stenhouse still driving the #17, but no longer banging Danica. Trevor Bayne still driving the #6

Toyota:
Joes Gibbs Racing:
-Matt Kenseth retires. JGR replaces him in the #20 with Eric Jones who comes over from driving the Furniture Row #77.
-Kyle Busch still in the #18, Denny Hamlin in the #11, Daniel Suarez in the #19.
Furniture Row Racing:
-FRR idles the #77 and will go back to a 1 Cup car operation with Truex & the #78.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

The Daytona 500 has a real good shot at being a demolition derby this year. The cars are so aero-loose over the rear axle that they are losing control when another car is within a foot of the left rear quarter. If they are in any turning axis whatsoever, they end up sideways.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Glad to see Chase win, but the second duel race was a real snoozefest.

How does Danica have a ride?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
Because she has two tits, a hole, and a heartbeat. -- AD Clay
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:
89Hen wrote:
:lol: :lol:
My favorite AD Clay line:
"Jack and Jill went up the hill, each with a buck and a quarter. Jill came down with two-fifty."
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
93henfan wrote:
:lol: :lol:
My favorite AD Clay line:
"Jack and Jill went up the hill, each with a buck and a quarter. Jill came down with two-fifty."

...the fucking whore.

Always finish the quote.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote:Glad to see Chase win, but the second duel race was a real snoozefest.

This is supposedly her only Cup race, the other race being the Indy 500. The team, Premium Motorsports, has been around NASCAR under various names since 2000. Started in Cup in 2014 with 1 car running part time, often failing to qualify and without sponsorship. Last year was the 1st time they ran a car (#15) in every race. Had a 1/2 doz drivers for the 2 cars, including a digit # of races with now 59 year old Derrick Cope. Bought the #15 charter from HScott Motorsports, finished 34th in owner points.

This year they bought all Tommy Baldwin Racing assets, including the charter for the #7 car, apparently the only car they are going to run this season. The car wasn't even ready for the Clash, and if Danica had wrecked in the Duel, well, there apparently is no backup car ready. Receiving tech assistance from ECR engine, RCR pit crew. They haven't even announced a driver(s) for the rest of the season.

Danica sucked running top equipment for SHR for 5 seasons. Now she'll just suck worse running low budget equipment. This is nothing more than a publicity stunt..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

You must be trolling, because there is no way any race fan could be dumb enough to think that. :dunce: After seasons/190 races, 5 full time seasons/180 races running top equipment at SHR, she not only never won a race, but never even got a top 5. Now running with a low budget team in what is nothing more than a publicity scunt, she is somehow going to win the Daytona 500.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You heard it here 1st. She won't finish in the top 30, and likely won't even finish the race.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

BDKJMU wrote:
You must be trolling, because there is no way any race fan could be dumb enough to think that. :dunce: After seasons/190 races, 5 full time seasons/180 races running top equipment at SHR, she not only never won a race, but never even got a top 5. Now running with a low budget team in what is nothing more than a publicity scunt, she is somehow going to win the Daytona 500.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You heard it here 1st. She won't finish in the top 30, and likely won't even finish the race.
:rofl: :rofl:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

CAA Flagship wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

:rofl: :rofl:
Oops, typo.. ;)