2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: 2018 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote:
89Hen wrote: :suspicious: It's a road course dummy. There is no way there is 35' of elevation change on an oval track and its infield.
35 ft over 2.28 miles is nothing dummy, even if wasn't the banking.
:wall:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

One of the best uses of elevation on a track is at America’s own GP in Austin at CotA:

phpBB [video]
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: MONTANA
A.K.A.: The Beer Snob

Post by polsongrizz »

Ibanez wrote:http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2018/sto ... -roval-400

Charlotte Motor Speedway expanded on its groundbreaking new era of innovation on Monday, with the unveiling of a new, dynamic logo for the Sept. 28-30 Bank of America ROVAL™ 400 race weekend - which will feature the first playoff road course races in NASCAR history.

The first-ever 400-kilometer Bank of America ROVAL™ 400 will be the longest road-course race in NASCAR.
35" in elevation change... :rofl: :rofl: :ohno: Don't get me wrong here, nascar needs more road races, but bragging about 35' ? :lol:
BTW I have always though that it would be great to see them at Eldora also. I love that track.
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
Mexico will pay for the wall
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4

Post by polsongrizz »

93henfan wrote:One of the best uses of elevation on a track is at America’s own GP in Austin at CotA:

phpBB [video]
They should also race at Laguna Seca. Speaking of elevation change, it is something like 180'. And lets not forget the Corkscrew.
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

polsongrizz wrote:
35" in elevation change... :rofl: :rofl: :ohno: Don't get me wrong here, nascar needs more road races, but bragging about 35' ? :lol:
BTW I have always though that it would be great to see them at Eldora also. I love that track.
I agree. At least the trucks race at El Dora- will be on Wednesday night FS1.
http://www.espn.com/jayski/trucks/races ... -race-info
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GD double post...
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Last year Truex dominated Kentucky, sweeping the stages & winning the race, leading 152 of 267 laps. After winning the pole on Fri, last night he put on an even more dominating performance, again sweeping the stages & the race, leading 174 of 267 laps, getting his 4th win of the season.

Playoff standings after 19 of 26 races regular season before 10 race playoffs:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote:Chevy has a problem.

Only one Chevy in the Top Ten in the standings: Larson, 9th.

No Chevy's in the Top Ten in qualifying at Michigan yesterday.
And a month later they still have a problem.
Kentucky Qualifying on Fri: Top 12 in qualifying was only 1 Chevy, Ryan Newman in 10th. Top 12 in race only only 1 Chevy, Kyle Larson in 9th.

Kentucky Results.
1. Martin Truex Toyota
2.Ryan Blaney Ford
3. Brad Keselowski Ford
4. Kyle Busch Toyota
5. Kevin Harvick Ford
6. Kurt Busch Ford
7. Erik Jones Toyota
8. Aric Almirola Ford
9. Kyle Larson Chevy
10. Joey Logano Ford
11. Paul Menard Ford
12. Clint Bowyer Ford

Regular season points Larson still only the top one in the top 11 (8th). Playoff standings only 2 in the top 13, Austin Dillon in 7th and Larson in 10th..
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4

Post by polsongrizz »

BDKJMU wrote:
polsongrizz wrote: 35" in elevation change... :rofl: :rofl: :ohno: Don't get me wrong here, nascar needs more road races, but bragging about 35' ? :lol:
I agree. At least the trucks race at El Dora- will be on Wednesday night FS1.
http://www.espn.com/jayski/trucks/races ... -race-info
Thanks, I forgot about that. I stopped watching watching nascar but I love dirt track racing.
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Looking forward to the biennial German GP at the Hockenheimring. Hopeful Mercedes can win one for the home crowd. Ferrari is getting a bit uppity lately.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Not too shabby:
Reigning Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton has signed a two-year contract extension at Mercedes and will remain with the team until the end of 2020. The deal is reported to be worth $52 million per year...
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/07/19/motors ... ect.org%2F
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

German GP was a heartbreaker for (now former) point leader Sebastian Vettel.

Lewis Hamilton had a mechanical failure at the end of Q1 on Saturday and started 14th. Anybody after the top 10 can start on whatever tires they want. They started him on the longer lasting but less grippy Softs, while the guys at the front had to use the Ultra Softs (faster, more grip, shorter life) they qualified on.

The strategy worked. Hamilton went 2/3 of the race before switching to Ultras just before rain came. The leaders had switched to Softs 1/3 into the race. When the rain came, they had to either stay out on old, hard tires or lose track position pitting for intermediate rain tires.

Hamilton’s Ultras were just grippy enough to get around the track and gain 1-2 seconds every lap on the leaders.

Then Vettel made a mistake, locking up going into a turn and eating a tire wall head on.

New point leader in Hamilton and Constructor in Mercedes. Woot.
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4

Post by polsongrizz »

93henfan wrote:
New point leader in Hamilton and Constructor in Mercedes. Woot.
:thumb:
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Kevin Harvick used a bump-and-run on Kyle Busch with seven laps left to pull off the win at the 2 hr rain delayed Cup race at Loudon on Sun.

1. Kevin Harvick (led 12 laps)
2. Kyle Busch (led 36 laps)
3. Aric Almirola (led 42 laps)
4. Martin Truex (led 83 laps, won 1st stage)
5. Chase Elliott (led 23 laps, won 2nd stage)
6. Ryan Newman
7. Ryan Blaney
8. Kurt Busch (led 94 laps)
9. Joey Logano
10. Jimmie Johnson
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/07/22 ... hampshire/
Playoff standings
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4

Post by polsongrizz »

Hamilton tearing it up today in Hungary...
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

polsongrizz wrote:Hamilton tearing it up today in Hungary...
As long as the soft tires hang on, this one's in the bank.

Last two races (assuming a win today) are a real boost going into the summer break. It really looked like Ferrari might check out a couple of weeks ago.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Why is it always the same 3-4 guys at the top? Doesn’t that get boring? Why do the other 25 even bother?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

AZGrizFan wrote:Why is it always the same 3-4 guys at the top? Doesn’t that get boring? Why do the other 25 even bother?
It's a different approach than NASCAR. NASCAR has become a participation medal approach where they put restrictor plates on at superspeedways, laser measure every car to fit an equalizing template (they are far from stock cars in that regard), and change rules as they go if they see that any child is left behind. Even with that, one guy has won seven of the last twelve championships.

NASCAR would prefer to bunch everyone up, induce wrecks, and thereby try to make a series of left turns more exciting. If one guy gets too far out front, they look for a hot dog wrapper blowing across the track and throw a debris caution. They also added "stages" and a "chase" to give additional catch-up opportunities for the lesser drivers. It's just contrived and Mickey Mouse anymore. Unwatchable.

F1 has a far less restrictive set of rules and encourages the highest spending, most technically innovative engineered team to kick everyone's ass. It's kind of like capitalism. Survival of the fittest.

And yes, right now in F1, there are three teams that realistically win the race MB-AMG (Hamilton/Bottas), Scuderia Ferrari (Vettel/Raikkonen), and Red Bull (Ricciardo/Verstappen). There are historic powerhouse like McClaren and Martini-Williams who are simply down at the moment and will likely be back.

And no, it doesn't get boring at all. I quit watching NASCAR and now get my fix from F1. I find it far, far more exciting and engaging to watch. Races over in 1.5 hours, no commercials, way more exciting qualifying.
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4

Post by polsongrizz »

93henfan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Why is it always the same 3-4 guys at the top? Doesn’t that get boring? Why do the other 25 even bother?
It's a different approach than NASCAR. NASCAR has become a participation medal approach where they put restrictor plates on at superspeedways, laser measure every car to fit an equalizing template (they are far from stock cars in that regard), and change rules as they go if they see that any child is left behind. Even with that, one guy has won seven of the last twelve championships.

NASCAR would prefer to bunch everyone up, induce wrecks, and thereby try to make a series of left turns more exciting. If one guy gets too far out front, they look for a hot dog wrapper blowing across the track and throw a debris caution. They also added "stages" and a "chase" to give additional catch-up opportunities for the lesser drivers. It's just contrived and Mickey Mouse anymore. Unwatchable.

And no, it doesn't get boring at all. I quit watching NASCAR and now get my fix from F1. I find it far, far more exciting and engaging to watch. Races over in 1.5 hours, no commercials, way more exciting qualifying.
This^^^^^^^^^, I would add in for at least me dirt track racing.

How about those last five laps?
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Thanks....that helps.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

AZGrizFan wrote:Thanks....that helps.
And I'm not saying F1 doesn't get boring from time to time. Today's track (Hungary) and Monaco, for example, are tight tracks with fewer opportunities for overtaking.
polsongrizz wrote:How about those last five laps?
Bottas is getting sick of being hit by Ferraris. Unfortunately with no front wing end plate left and less downforce on the front tires, he clobbered Ricciardo, which luckily didn't affect finishing positions. The best part was they had Christian Horner, team principal for Red Bull, on for live commentary when his guy Ricciardo was hit and he said "FUCK" live on air. :lol:

The postrace was the first time I've ever seen any anger from Bottas. That was weird.
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4

Post by polsongrizz »

93henfan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Thanks....that helps.
And I'm not saying F1 doesn't get boring from time to time. Today's track (Hungary) and Monaco, for example, are tight tracks with fewer opportunities for overtaking.
polsongrizz wrote:How about those last five laps?
Bottas is getting sick of being hit by Ferraris. Unfortunately with no front wing end plate left and less downforce on the front tires, he clobbered Ricciardo, which luckily didn't affect finishing positions. The best part was they had Christian Horner, team principal for Red Bull, on for live commentary when his guy Ricciardo was hit and he said "FUCK" live on air. :lol:

The postrace was the first time I've ever seen any anger from Bottas. That was weird.
Agreed, it was awesome... :lol:
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

No surprise to me: NASCAR CEO Brian France arrested for drug possession and DUI.

Driving a Toyota (Lexus) of course.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story ... -substance
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote:No surprise to me: NASCAR CEO Brian France arrested for drug possession and DUI.

Driving a Toyota (Lexus) of course.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story ... -substance
"NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France has taken an indefinite leave of absence, NASCAR announced Monday, after he was reportedly arrested Sunday night and charged with aggravated driving while intoxicated and criminal possession of a controlled substance.

NASCAR vice chairman and executive vice president Jim France -- Brian's uncle -- will serve as interim chairman and CEO....."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/reports-nasc ... --spt.html
Maybe, just maybe NASCAR might give this idiot the boot. But they probably won't..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

In other news, Kyle Busch wins last weekend at Loudon.

In more positive news, on Sunday Chase Elliott finally got his 1st career cup win at sold out Watkins Glen (one of the few (only?) tracks to still sell out besides Daytona for the 500. Held off Truex for 17 laps. Truex ran out of gas 1-2 turns before the checkered flag. Elliott ran out of gas on the victory lap, and had to be given a shove by Jimmie Johnson to get to victory lane. Symbolic passing of the torch perhaps? Maybe the most popular NASCAR victory since Junior (who one of the broadcasters for NBC calling the race) last won at PHX in 2015.
phpBB [video]

Bill Elliott had 8 2nd place finishes before his 1st career win, at a road course, Riverside, in 1983, driving the #9.
Chase Elliott had 8 2nd place finishes before his 1st career win, at a road course, at Watkins Glen on Sunday, driving the #9. Talk about deja vu..
https://www.yahoo.com/news/elliott-clai ... --spt.html

Current playoff standings with 4 races left in the 26 race regular season before the 10 race playoffs.