2017-18 NBA Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season

Post by 93henfan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
93henfan wrote:Did Ben Simmons play tonight? /sarcasm

Stick a fork in the Sixers.
Young Ben has a ways to go. :lol:

I would laugh if it wasn’t so painfully true. That guy was a tremendous disappointment in these playoffs. Here’s hoping he can wash it away and be a decent player next year. GF or BDK or some other dink can quote this post and we’ll all have a good laugh about that first year that the Sixers stopped tanking but sucked anyway.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
They're not a finished product yet. And they don't call them mercenaries, they call them "free agents". Sports term. :coffee:
So you agree, soft. Thanks. :thumb:

Just be honest with yourself from time to time. That team isn’t ready for prime time.

You figure after tanking for half a decade they’d have come up with a decent roster by now. Alas, shitty drafting and whiff after whiff. Even the two decent picks they made, one is constantly getting injured and the other disappears during playoff games.
Nah, they're not soft. Toronto, now that's what soft looks like. If NBA teams were SleepNumber beds, the Raptors would be close to 20, and the Sixers would be something like 70 or so, and trending upwards.

Remember, they won Game 4 and came back multiple times, including having the lead at the 1:01 mark of the 4th quarter of Game 5. If Redick makes that wide open three pointer ten seconds before then (a wide open three setup by the disappearing Simmons - who had a double double in the potential elimination game in Game 4 and put up 18 last night - when Simmons drove the lane and sucked in the whole defense) then we might be talking about Game 6. You seem to want to call them soft without bothering to look at the details of what it means.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Young Ben has a ways to go. :lol:

I would laugh if it wasn’t so painfully true. That guy was a tremendous disappointment in these playoffs. Here’s hoping he can wash it away and be a decent player next year. GF or BDK or some other dink can quote this post and we’ll all have a good laugh about that first year that the Sixers stopped tanking but sucked anyway.
52 wins. Number 3 seed. Playoff round victory. 93 says the Sixers "sucked". Apparently NASCAR and F1 expertise is not translational across sports. :rofl:

Btw, Meek Mills is now officially lobbying Lebron to come to the Sixers. Wronfully Accused Felon rap power in action. #TrustTheProcess
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Soft

For a couple of years now, you’ve been telling us how SOFT the East is, and how once the Sixers decided to open the spigot they’d run right through these chumps.

So now 50 wins in a shitty conference and a 2nd round curb stomping is a great achievement?

C’mon man! :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:Soft

For a couple of years now, you’ve been telling us how SOFT the East is, and how once the Sixers decided to open the spigot they’d run right through these chumps.

So now 50 wins in a shitty conference and a 2nd round curb stomping is a great achievement?

C’mon man! :lol:
It's a bigger step sooner than anyone thought they would make so yes, that is a big deal. No one said before this year or last year that they would be competing for NBA titles this year. Maybe they could next year or the year after, let's see how The Process continues to unfold. But I do like being way ahead of schedule. :thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Cleveland is down 2 games to Boston.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:Cleveland is down 2 games to Boston.
The odds of Lebron leaving Cleveland increase with every game that proves to him that he can't win in Cleveland with what they have going forward. Not getting lucky in the draft lottery last night is just one more brick in that wall as well. LA or Philly (or possibly Houston) could be selling James jerseys pretty soon.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Cleveland is down 2 games to Boston.
The odds of Lebron leaving Cleveland increase with every game that proves to him that he can't win in Cleveland with what they have going forward. Not getting lucky in the draft lottery last night is just one more brick in that wall as well. LA or Philly (or possibly Houston) could be selling James jerseys pretty soon.
A lot Lebron scenario's out there right now. Other names involved have been George and/or Leonard, teaming with Lebron for another super team.

Game 3 will be key to the series. If Cleveland wins, it's back on, if they lose it's over.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
A lot Lebron scenario's out there right now. Other names involved have been George and/or Leonard, teaming with Lebron for another super team.

Game 3 will be key to the series. If Cleveland wins, it's back on, if they lose it's over.
Games 3 and 4 are key - can't go down 3-1 going back to Boston. Philly almost won Game 5 in Boston (and should've won it) but Philly played Boston much closer than anything the Cavs have done so far.

I did read a thing in SI about Lebron possibly coming to Philly if Philly pulls off a trade for Kawhi. The Kawhi trade to Philly has been out there before - it would be Kawhi for Saric, Fultz, and a #1 pick. A lineup of Simmons, Embiid, Redick, Kawhi, and Lebron would be a pretty good starting 5. I could live with that.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Games 3 and 4 are key - can't go down 3-1 going back to Boston. Philly almost won Game 5 in Boston (and should've won it) but Philly played Boston much closer than anything the Cavs have done so far.

I did read a thing in SI about Lebron possibly coming to Philly if Philly pulls off a trade for Kawhi. The Kawhi trade to Philly has been out there before - it would be Kawhi for Saric, Fultz, and a #1 pick. A lineup of Simmons, Embiid, Redick, Kawhi, and Lebron would be a pretty good starting 5. I could live with that.
In Minnesota,we keep hearing Wiggins+ for Leonard. Not betting on it though.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

I don't think Leonard would go to Minnesota - part of the reason he's on the outs in San Antonio is, from my understanding, the lack of media exposure in San Antonio. He wants to play in a bigger market. I like Minneapolis, but it's a small market and similar to what he's in in San Antonio. Of course, that makes him sound like a real drama queen, so maybe not getting Kawhi could be a win?

I also hear Boston could be a destination for Kawhi - some combination of Rozier and others.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I don't think Leonard would go to Minnesota - part of the reason he's on the outs in San Antonio is, from my understanding, the lack of media exposure in San Antonio. He wants to play in a bigger market. I like Minneapolis, but it's a small market and similar to what he's in in San Antonio. Of course, that makes him sound like a real drama queen, so maybe not getting Kawhi could be a win?

I also hear Boston could be a destination for Kawhi - some combination of Rozier and others.
Minneapolis is the #15 market, San Antonio is #37, so it would be an improvement, but not as big as Philly #4 or Boston #7. Having a playoff team would help though, like Chicago #3, but not in the running this year.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Well, the Least hasn't changed much, first Lebronto, then Leboston.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Minneapolis is the #15 market, San Antonio is #37, so it would be an improvement, but not as big as Philly #4 or Boston #7. Having a playoff team would help though, like Chicago #3, but not in the running this year.
How is “market” identified? San Antonio is the 6th or 7th largest city in America.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
How is “market” identified? San Antonio is the 6th or 7th largest city in America.
That's the city proper. Market area typically includes the suburbs. My guess is that San Antonio, while not as high as Minneapolis, is higher than #37 and gaining ground quickly.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
That's the city proper. Market area typically includes the suburbs. My guess is that San Antonio, while not as high as Minneapolis, is higher than #37 and gaining ground quickly.
It is moving up fast, just checked the wiki list for markets and San Antonio is up to 31st. I don't remember where I got the original ranking, but it's a holiday and I'm sweating my ass off working on my deck, watching people playing on the lake in the background.

After looking at the list, San Antonio doesn't have a TV in every household.

Wiki Link
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Could have 2 different teams in the finals if Irving and Paul were not injured.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

How many burner Twitter accounts does your team GM have?
Make Delaware Football Great Again
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:Could have 2 different teams in the finals if...
it weren't the NBA.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

bluehenbillk wrote:How many burner Twitter accounts does your team GM have?
Could be a blessing, we could get Colangelo out of here before he does any more damage. On the bright side, anything that brings Embiid out posting on Twitter is a good thing. :thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Could have 2 different teams in the finals if...
it weren't the NBA.
They just might have to start a team up in Vegas, to break up the Warriors streak. :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: it weren't the NBA.
They just might have to start a team up in Vegas, to break up the Warriors streak. :lol:
Something, anything. Last time one of these teams (Cavs, Spurs, Heat, Lakers, Bulls, Rockets, Pistons) wasn't in the Finals... 1979. Too much of the same for my liking. Seems like other leagues have increased parity over the years while the NBA has not.

2018 Cleveland Cavaliers
2017 Cleveland Cavaliers
2016 Cleveland Cavaliers
2015 Cleveland Cavaliers
2014 San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat
2013 Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs
2012 Miami Heat
2011 Miami Heat
2010 Los Angeles Lakers
2009 Los Angeles Lakers
2008 Los Angeles Lakers
2007 San Antonio Spurs and Cleveland Cavaliers
2006 Miami Heat
2005 San Antonio Spurs
2004 Los Angeles Lakers
2003 San Antonio Spurs
2002 Los Angeles Lakers
2001 Los Angeles Lakers
2000 Los Angeles Lakers
1999 San Antonio Spurs
1998 Chicago Bulls
1997 Chicago Bulls
1996 Chicago Bulls
1995 Houston Rockets
1994 Houston Rockets
1993 Chicago Bulls
1992 Chicago Bulls
1991 Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers
1990 Detroit Pistons
1989 Detroit Pistons and Los Angeles Lakers
1988 Los Angeles Lakers and Detroit Pistons
1987 Los Angeles Lakers
1986 Houston Rockets
1985 Los Angeles Lakers
1984 Los Angeles Lakers
1983 Los Angeles Lakers
1982 Los Angeles Lakers
1981 Houston Rockets
1980 Los Angeles Lakers
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Something, anything. Last time one of these teams (Cavs, Spurs, Heat, Lakers, Bulls, Rockets, Pistons) wasn't in the Finals... 1979. Too much of the same for my liking. Seems like other leagues have increased parity over the years while the NBA has not.

2018 Cleveland Cavaliers
2017 Cleveland Cavaliers
2016 Cleveland Cavaliers
2015 Cleveland Cavaliers
2014 San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat
2013 Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs
2012 Miami Heat
2011 Miami Heat
2010 Los Angeles Lakers
2009 Los Angeles Lakers
2008 Los Angeles Lakers
2007 San Antonio Spurs and Cleveland Cavaliers
2006 Miami Heat
2005 San Antonio Spurs
2004 Los Angeles Lakers
2003 San Antonio Spurs
2002 Los Angeles Lakers
2001 Los Angeles Lakers
2000 Los Angeles Lakers
1999 San Antonio Spurs
1998 Chicago Bulls
1997 Chicago Bulls
1996 Chicago Bulls
1995 Houston Rockets
1994 Houston Rockets
1993 Chicago Bulls
1992 Chicago Bulls
1991 Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers
1990 Detroit Pistons
1989 Detroit Pistons and Los Angeles Lakers
1988 Los Angeles Lakers and Detroit Pistons
1987 Los Angeles Lakers
1986 Houston Rockets
1985 Los Angeles Lakers
1984 Los Angeles Lakers
1983 Los Angeles Lakers
1982 Los Angeles Lakers
1981 Houston Rockets
1980 Los Angeles Lakers
Dude, that has to be a joke post, right? There's only one team in that whole list which actually spans the whole list, and that's the Lakers. The Bulls sucked before and after MJ was there. The Cavs were a Harvard Business School Study in losing for pretty much their entire existence until the last decade (for reference, see Craig Ehlo photo), the Houston Rockets have been all over the place. Heck, the Warriors hadn't even been in an NBA finals on your list until 2015, now they're in 4 straight. Parity exists, but it's just not year to year. I think there have been 17 different franchises in the NBA finals since 1980 (I counted the Super Sonics and the Thunder as the same franchise, even though that's two different cities). Heck, even the New Jersey Nets have been to the Finals in that timeframe. Unlike a lot of other sports, you get more mini-dynasties in the NBA - Lakers and Celtics in the 80's, Pistons late 80's, Bulls in the 90's, Spurs and Lakers in the early '00's, the Heat in the late '00's, and the Warriors now.

I think you're just trying to paint a potential Caps loss to the expansion team in its first year as a good thing in advance of the Caps losing. :coffee:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Dude, that has to be a joke post, right?

Unlike a lot of other sports, you get more mini-dynasties in the NBA
/ point
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Dude, that has to be a joke post, right?

Unlike a lot of other sports, you get more mini-dynasties in the NBA
/ point
We get it, you're okay with Vegas beating the Caps despite just being a first year expansion team. :rofl: