2017 NFL Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

Post by CAA Flagship »

CAA Flagship wrote:I don't know what's going on here, but there is some cool shit. :shock:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/307792955 ... 7/?lp=true
This one for Utah is pretty cool. :thumb: :nod:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Fly Eagles Fly

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

What about the Warshington Fighting Hawks?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:Ouch. Brutal cheap shot by Kiko Alonso on Flacco on TNF. Flacco slides and Alonso puts a shoulder right on his head, bending Flacco’s neck and knocking off the helmet. I have no idea how Flacco got right up from that, even though he’s out for the rest of the game. Tough dude.
If you can't get thrown out of a game for that hit, then there's literally no action right now, other than walking over to the other team's sideline and cold cocking a guy, that will get you ejected from the game. Flacco's ear was so damaged it needed stitches in addition to the concussion, and all of this while sliding feet first as QB's are supposed to in order to avoid being hit, let alone being hit directly in the head. It's amazing that teams that Suh plays on end up becoming dirty - that guy, while a great player, infects teammates to just become dirty.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:Ouch. Brutal cheap shot by Kiko Alonso on Flacco on TNF. Flacco slides and Alonso puts a shoulder right on his head, bending Flacco’s neck and knocking off the helmet. I have no idea how Flacco got right up from that, even though he’s out for the rest of the game. Tough dude.
If you can't get thrown out of a game for that hit, then there's literally no action right now, other than walking over to the other team's sideline and cold cocking a guy, that will get you ejected from the game. Flacco's ear was so damaged it needed stitches in addition to the concussion, and all of this while sliding feet first as QB's are supposed to in order to avoid being hit, let alone being hit directly in the head. It's amazing that teams that Suh plays on end up becoming dirty - that guy, while a great player, infects teammates to just become dirty.
In a league under fire for CTE, I just don't know how this and the Trevathan hits are allowed to go with token fines as the only repercussion. Sure, the NFL got carried away a couple of years back with the defenseless receiver calls, but now they've completely swung back the other way to allowing shit like this to happen. There has to be a middle ground, but these feeble, old officials the NFL uses are incapable of making that happen:

phpBB [video]
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
In a league under fire for CTE, I just don't know how this and the Trevathan hits are allowed to go with token fines as the only repercussion. Sure, the NFL got carried away a couple of years back with the defenseless receiver calls, but now they've completely swung back the other way to allowing shit like this to happen. There has to be a middle ground, but these feeble, old officials the NFL uses are incapable of making that happen:

phpBB [video]
Yeah, you would hope NFL refs could do better than Big Sky ones. This hit wasn't called in the game and I don't think think the player received any discipline from the conference.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

I would like to point out that Joe Flacco had an area about 5x5 yards to slide into completely safely...
He chose to try and beat the linebacker to the first down marker and got popped

Yes it's a penalty

But also Flacco got what he asked for
There was a very safe place to slide seconds before but he chose to try and beat Alonzo to the line

Yes it's a penalty
But Flacco made a bad choice

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Chizzang wrote:I would like to point out that Joe Flacco had an area about 5x5 yards to slide into completely safely...

Yes it's a penalty

There was a very safe place to slide seconds before but he chose to try and beat Alonzo to the line

Yes it's a penalty

And the Flacco hater chimes in predictably. :lol: :thumb:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:I would like to point out that Joe Flacco had an area about 5x5 yards to slide into completely safely...

Yes it's a penalty

Yes it's a penalty

And the Flacco hater chimes in predictably. :lol: :thumb:
And the flacco lover is blind to the facts see image
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

So the goal in football is not to make a first down and the QB slide rule is that you are allowed to lay a shoulder into the head of the sliding QB? My bad. This is all news to me. I'll try to get current. Forgive me.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:So the goal in football is not to make a first down and the QB slide rule is that you are allowed to lay a shoulder into the head of the sliding QB? My bad. This is all news to me. I'll try to get current. Forgive me.
You're making irrelevant observations

As stated: It's a penalty
As shown in the image also Flacco takes a HUGE risk and gets popped
Every ball carrier has to balance risk vs. reward - especially QB's
and he clearly does have a safe spot to slide which he opts out of for the line to gain

Regardless of "Football goals" and team aspirations
When a QB takes a risk sometimes they get hit - albeit an illegal hit - it's still a huge stupid risk
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Chizzang wrote:
93henfan wrote:So the goal in football is not to make a first down and the QB slide rule is that you are allowed to lay a shoulder into the head of the sliding QB? My bad. This is all news to me. I'll try to get current. Forgive me.

and he clearly does have a safe spot to slide which he opts out of for the line to gain

When a QB takes a risk sometimes they get hit - albeit an illegal hit - it's still a huge stupid risk
He gets paid too much. :kisswink:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

He gets paid too much. :kisswink:
Nobody would argue he's not a tough son-of-a-bitch..
He played half a game with a torn ACL a while back
and by all accounts that's like having a nail gun fired into your knee every time you flex

:nod:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Chizzang wrote:

What are you even arguing here? You agree that it's a penalty, so you agree that it was an illegal hit. Sure, you can say that Flacco put himself in the position to get hit illegally, but that doesn't turn an illegal hit into a legal one. How does it help the NFL, and even football in general, that there isn't a greater punishment for what even you declare, as everyone else did, that this is an illegal hit? That same play that happens in college football and Alonso would've been tossed from the game and would've missed a portion of the next game. We can all guffaw about how the NFL was a "tougher" league back in the day and how you can't hit anyone anymore (gee, such softies with this CTE thing) but surely there has to be a way not to hit QB's in the head so hard that their helmet pops off. How is the NFL in a better position when QB's can be drilled in the head and knocked out of games (and Flacco may not be cleared for the next game) and all that happens to Alonso is a 15 yard penalty and possibly some spare change when he gets a token fine in a few days?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

GannonFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

What are you even arguing here? You agree that it's a penalty, so you agree that it was an illegal hit. Sure, you can say that Flacco put himself in the position to get hit illegally, but that doesn't turn an illegal hit into a legal one. How does it help the NFL, and even football in general, that there isn't a greater punishment for what even you declare, as everyone else did, that this is an illegal hit? That same play that happens in college football and Alonso would've been tossed from the game and would've missed a portion of the next game. We can all guffaw about how the NFL was a "tougher" league back in the day and how you can't hit anyone anymore (gee, such softies with this CTE thing) but surely there has to be a way not to hit QB's in the head so hard that their helmet pops off. How is the NFL in a better position when QB's can be drilled in the head and knocked out of games (and Flacco may not be cleared for the next game) and all that happens to Alonso is a 15 yard penalty and possibly some spare change when he gets a token fine in a few days?
What I'm arguing is...
The choice to scramble happens every game

Choices:
1) Throw the ball away
2) Scramble a bit and slide
3) Try to make a full 10 yard scramble and risk getting killed

Flacco made a choice that nearly every other QB's makes differently every single game
The opportunity to scramble and push your luck is available in almost every single NFL offensive drive

Flacco had a wide open 5x5 yard free space to slide into
The price for a bad decision is getting "blowed up" by a scumbag dirty player
Which in case you haven't noticed every NFL team has at least two of roaming around out there

I'm not arguing what should or shouldn't happen to Alonzo
I'm pointing out that decisions were made by the QB and he chose poorly and paid for it
and every QB in this league is faced with that kind of choice almost every possession
He be "smarter" than that... next time I bet you
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Chizzang wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
What I'm arguing is...

Choices:
1) Throw the ball away

Flacco made a choice that nearly every other QB's makes differently every single game
The opportunity to scramble and push your luck is available in almost every single NFL offensive drive

Which in case you haven't noticed every NFL team has at least two of roaming around out there

I'm pointing out that decisions were made by the QB and he chose poorly and paid for it
and every QB in this league is faced with that kind of choice almost every possession
Or, you know, we could actually hold accountable the guy who actually did the illegal thing here. You're so drifting into the blame the victim thing here it's beyond remarkable. If guys got significant suspensions for hits like this (and let's be honest, this is even more aggregious than the hit the Bears guy had in the other Thursday night game and he got 2 games) then guys would be less likely to deliver hits like this. You've already gone on record that the hit is illegal, so all we're doing (other than blaming the victim - heck, I bet Flacco never gets hurt if he just hung up his cleats and didn't play) is debating what the punishment should be.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

GannonFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
What I'm arguing is...

Choices:
1) Throw the ball away

Or, you know, we could actually hold accountable the guy who actually did the illegal thing here. You're so drifting into the blame the victim thing here it's beyond remarkable. If guys got significant suspensions for hits like this (and let's be honest, this is even more aggregious than the hit the Bears guy had in the other Thursday night game and he got 2 games) then guys would be less likely to deliver hits like this. You've already gone on record that the hit is illegal, so all we're doing (other than blaming the victim - heck, I bet Flacco never gets hurt if he just hung up his cleats and didn't play) is debating what the punishment should be.
Flacco the victim...

:rofl:

The only thing he's a victim of in this case is his own stupidity
And I don't think we need any more evidence of that than the outcome of the play itself

Play stupid games
Win stupid prizes
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
What I'm arguing is...

Choices:
1) Throw the ball away

It wasn't any more egregious than the Travathan hit. Maybe less as Adams momentum was stopped while Flacco and Alonzo were both diving. I take no issue with the call but it was fairly close to being a legal hit as Flacco slid late.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Yes it's a penalty

Yes it's a penalty

Agreed. This pussy rule for QB's that then allow them to fake out defenders, etc then slide at the last moment is BS. If they are going to allow sliding, then they need to make it where you slide as soon as a defender can make a play - no evasion, etc.

No sympathy for Flacco. Alonso was just trying to prevent Flacco from sliding for the first down.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
What I'm arguing is...

Choices:
1) Throw the ball away

Any other ball carrier and it's a clean hit, since they wouldn't be sliding. Might as well make it too handed touch for QB's.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
It wasn't any more egregious than the Travathan hit. Maybe less as Adams momentum was stopped while Flacco and Alonzo were both diving. I take no issue with the call but it was fairly close to being a legal hit as Flacco slid late.
And again, no one, even here, has called it a legal hit. Everyone has said it's illegal. So again, the only penalty is a 15 yard penalty. Football has plenty of problems on its hands *cough* CTE *cough*, but when we can't come up with an appropriate punishment for a 100% agreed illegal hit that knocks out a player in a position (starting NFL QB) of which there aren't even enough qualified players to spread around to each of the teams in the league, then the league is in trouble of its own making.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Any other ball carrier and it's a clean hit, since they wouldn't be sliding. Might as well make it too handed touch for QB's.
If this was college football, Alonso would've been ejected and would miss a portion of the next game. And thanks for agreeing that the hit was illegal. No dissenters yet. :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

If this was college football, Alonso would've been ejected and would miss a portion of the next game. And thanks for agreeing that the hit was illegal. No dissenters yet. :thumb:

In college, he wouldn't have slid. And the more I watch, the more I am convinced it was a clean hit. Flacco was running full bore, made a last second decision to slide after Alonzo had already started the tackling move.

In fact, it could have been far worse, but Alonzo pulled up as best he could. Penalty, if any, should have been on Flacco. It was 100% his fault.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

And you are missing the point - illegal hit or not, it SHOULD Not be illegal. if Flacco wants to be a running back, then run, not slide. When Flacco passed up first chance to slide, it should have been illegal to hit the QB.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

dbackjon wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

In college, he wouldn't have slid. And the more I watch, the more I am convinced it was a clean hit. Flacco was running full bore, made a last second decision to slide after Alonzo had already started the tackling move.

In fact, it could have been far worse, but Alonzo pulled up as best he could. Penalty, if any, should have been on Flacco. It was 100% his fault.
:rofl:

Check the 54 second mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fINqlSUB-EU&t=53s

Alonzo "pulled up as best he could"? You're delusional.

You weren't always this unhinged. What happened, bro?