Canadian Football League

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Canadian Football League

Post by AZGrizFan »

Watching the BC/Montreal game right now (yes, I'm desperate)...and a few things quickly come to mind:

1) there are VERY few white guys on these two teams. Not sure if it's indicative of the entire league, but in running through the offenses & defenses I saw a total of TWO white starters

2) the football is like watching paint dry. Note to the CFL: go ahead and allow that 4th down. Otherwise, it's a whole lotta punting.

3) You'd have to REALLY love football or have virtually nothing else of note to be able to do in life to play this violent game for the pittance these guys surely earn.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Canadian Football League

Post by AZGrizFan »

Side note....just noticed Travis Lulay from the 'Scats is a backup QB on the BC team....
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ok Casey
:thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Another observation....there is a WHOLE lot of helmet-helmet contact in this game that's not being called. A whole lot...
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Hell, even Montreal's KICKER is black.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:Ok Casey
Ouch. That cuts deep. I'm fucking bored, man. What can I say?
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

AZGrizFan wrote:Another observation....there is a WHOLE lot of helmet-helmet contact in this game that's not being called. A whole lot...
Is helmet to helmet contact illegal up there? I would think the Canucks wouldn't be that pussified.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

AZGrizFan wrote:Side note....just noticed Travis Lulay from the 'Scats is a backup QB on the BC team....
Funny he's the first player you mention, as he makes $450k per season as a back-up. Not a bad pittance...

But yeah, you're right, most of the players don't make much. I think I read last year when I was in Montreal that the average salary is $80k? Not bad for a kid out of college, but laughable when compared to playing for an SEC team or in the NFL
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

bandl wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Side note....just noticed Travis Lulay from the 'Scats is a backup QB on the BC team....
Funny he's the first player you mention, as he makes $450k per season as a back-up. Not a bad pittance...

But yeah, you're right, most of the players don't make much. I think I read last year when I was in Montreal that the average salary is $80k? Not bad for a kid out of college, but laughable when compared to playing for an SEC team or in the NFL
My roommate was on the Baltimore CFL team. They used to practice at Towson the first year. The was it was explained to me was there is one maybe two guys on the team that made seven figures and the majority was 60-70K. Tracey Ham was the player on the team at the point who made the big bucks.
I've had severl friends wo played in the CFL, Arena and Europe leagues. All say the smaller salary is made up for in housing and car payments paid by sponcers and businesses.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

andy7171 wrote:
bandl wrote: Funny he's the first player you mention, as he makes $450k per season as a back-up. Not a bad pittance...

My roommate was on the Baltimore CFL team. They used to practice at Towson the first year. The was it was explained to me was there is one maybe two guys on the team that made seven figures and the majority was 60-70K. Tracey Ham was the player on the team at the point who made the big bucks.
I've had severl friends wo played in the CFL, Arena and Europe leagues. All say the smaller salary is made up for in housing and car payments paid by sponcers and businesses.
Jesus, man. Did you even go to college?
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

bandl wrote:
andy7171 wrote: My roommate was on the Baltimore CFL team. They used to practice at Towson the first year. The was it was explained to me was there is one maybe two guys on the team that made seven figures and the majority was 60-70K. Tracey Ham was the player on the team at the point who made the big bucks.
Jesus, man. Did you even go to college?
GFY, I have a shitty keyboard and fat fingers.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

andy7171 wrote:
bandl wrote: Jesus, man. Did you even go to college?
GFY, I have a shitty keyboard and fat fingers.
We'll shit on your keyboard!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

bandl wrote:

You sure its not 45k? That seems like a TON of money for a backup qb in that league.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

http://gazettereview.com/2017/05/averag ... yers-make/

Average Salary for CFL Player – $80,000

You read that right, out of the 9 teams and around 44 players per team, the average salary of a player is only around $80,000. Now, this can expand to over $400,000 per year for quarterbacks, but can be as little as just over $42,000 per year as a minimum payment for someone who often sits on the bench. For reference, this means that if everyone on a team averaged a salary of the aforementioned $80,000 a year, the top player in the NFL in terms of earnings Peyton Manning, with a salary of $42.4 Million with both endorsements and salary could pay for 530 CFL players or about 12 teams worth. This means that Peyton Manning’s salary alone could pay about the entire leagues player salaries, add three more teams and still have about a million and a half dollars left over. This is partially due to the fact that the CFL has a strict salary cap for entire teams, currently just over $5 Million USD and this certainly cuts into the players Ferarri funds.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

AZGrizFan wrote:
bandl wrote: Funny he's the first player you mention, as he makes $450k per season as a back-up. Not a bad pittance...

You sure its not 45k? That seems like a TON of money for a backup qb in that league.
I wasn't sure until right....about.....NOW, when I googled that shit ("Travis Lulay salary" in the googles)

That was back in 2013. I don't care to look into it any further than that though, because Canada
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

I went to several games up in Winnipeg in the past, including the Grey Cup game in 1991. Mostly to see Doug Flutie, Rocket Ismail, Vince Feragamo or other USA players that happen to be in town when I was back in ND. My hometown was only 75 miles from Winnipeg. Fans are just as crazy as NFL fans. They let the fans on the field after the Grey Cup, try that at a USA pro sports game.