2017 MLB Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: 2017 MLB Thread

Post by Gil Dobie »

Took my grandson to his first Twins game. Great day for baseball. Twins hit 4 homers, and even Joe Mauer gets a Grand Slam. Great fireworks for a 2 year old.

Twins up 2 games on the CF.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Twins lose to Yankees, lead drops to 1.5 games on the CF
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

Rockies 1 game up now on Brewers, 2.5 on Cards, wild card getting too tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Twins get swept by the Yankees, but remain 1.5 games ahead of the CF
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Jjoey52 wrote:wild card getting too tight
Impossible
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

Rocks are dying the last week,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Twins up 2.5 games on the CF
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Jjoey52 wrote:Rocks are dying the last week,
Here come the Cards. :?
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Tigers are making a late season push for worst record in baseball, currently only a game above Philadelphia and San Francisco! They go for a 4 game swept against the Twins this afternoon. :nod:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AshevilleApp wrote:Tigers are making a late season push for worst record in baseball, currently only a game above Philadelphia and San Francisco! They go for a 4 game swept against the Twins this afternoon. :nod:
Tigers have nothing left in the tank. Miggy might sit out the last road trip.

Twins are 4.5 games up on the CF.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Phillies just need 1 more win in their last 6 to avoid 100 losses for the year. :thumb: Nola gets two more starts, so the odds are pretty good.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

93henfan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Rhys Hoskins of the Phillies now has 11 homers in his first 18 games. MLB record. Bright spot in a dismal season.
Quoting everyone in America's know-it-all uncle, "once they figure out how to pitch to that boy, he won't be shit!"
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... 70924.html
It has been 10 days since Rhys Hoskins’ last home run, which qualifies the rookie slugger for his first prolonged slump, and the 13 pitches he saw in Sunday’s 2-0 win over the Braves provided some evidence for the reasons behind it. Hoskins expected pitchers to adjust after the prodigious start to his career.

They have attacked him down and away...

Of the 13 pitches Hoskins saw Sunday, just two were on the inner half of the plate. He took both for balls. Hoskins was 0 for 3 with a walk. He is 5 for 33 (.152) with 12 strikeouts and six walks since his last homer, Sept. 14...
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Quoting everyone in America's know-it-all uncle, "once they figure out how to pitch to that boy, he won't be ****!"
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... 70924.html
It has been 10 days since Rhys Hoskins’ last home run, which qualifies the rookie slugger for his first prolonged slump, and the 13 pitches he saw in Sunday’s 2-0 win over the Braves provided some evidence for the reasons behind it. Hoskins expected pitchers to adjust after the prodigious start to his career.

They have attacked him down and away...

Of the 13 pitches Hoskins saw Sunday, just two were on the inner half of the plate. He took both for balls. Hoskins was 0 for 3 with a walk. He is 5 for 33 (.152) with 12 strikeouts and six walks since his last homer, Sept. 14...
They said the same thing when he came up and pitchers had early success on him busting him inside - there is no such thing as a book on batters who are MLB worthy - they can adjust to what the pitchers are doing. He adjusted early on and now they don't pitch him in. Give it a little time and we'll see if he can adjust to pitching down and away. If you have a long enough career then you have to adjust multiple times in a season.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Chasing History - Minnesota Twins

Post by Gil Dobie »

Minnesota Twins magic number is 2. About to be the first team to go from 100 losses to the playoffs.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

As exciting as the WC race is, I think the fact that the Dbacks will have to waste their ace playing a winner take all game against a team from the same division who they hold an 11-8 head to head record and a six game lead, is just dumb. Given that baseball is about a season long run and they've faced the same schedule.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:As exciting as the WC race is, I think the fact that the Dbacks will have to waste their ace playing a winner take all game against a team from the same division who they hold an 11-8 head to head record and a six game lead, is just dumb. Given that baseball is about a season long run and they've faced the same schedule.
The price of not winning the division. Can't say the Dodgers didn't do their best to give up the lead. If Arizona is that much better than Colorado then they might be able to pull the starter early and save some innings. I still like Arizona's chances in the NLDS regardless of who they pitch.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote:As exciting as the WC race is, I think the fact that the Dbacks will have to waste their ace playing a winner take all game against a team from the same division who they hold an 11-8 head to head record and a six game lead, is just dumb. Given that baseball is about a season long run and they've faced the same schedule.
The price of not winning the division. Can't say the Dodgers didn't do their best to give up the lead. If Arizona is that much better than Colorado then they might be able to pull the starter early and save some innings. I still like Arizona's chances in the NLDS regardless of who they pitch.
Yeah, but I'd rather have #1 vs #1 in the DS opener and the one game play-in after 162 games to distance yourself just seems very anti-baseball.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Yeah, but I'd rather have #1 vs #1 in the DS opener and the one game play-in after 162 games to distance yourself just seems very anti-baseball.
No. The best team in the League plays the WC in the LDS. And since the WC can't have a better record than the best team in the League (because MLB allows LDS matchups within same division), the advantage should go to the best team in the League, IMO.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
We should just go back to no divisions and have the best team in the AL play the best team in the NL with no NLCS or NLDS or Wild Card. That would mean the 162 games would have the ultimate meaning. Joltin Joe was a huge proponent of this, maybe talking about this will rouse him again.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yeah, but I'd rather have #1 vs #1 in the DS opener and the one game play-in after 162 games to distance yourself just seems very anti-baseball.
We should just go back to no divisions and have the best team in the AL play the best team in the NL with no NLCS or NLDS or Wild Card. That would mean the 162 games would have the ultimate meaning. Joltin Joe was a huge proponent of this, maybe talking about this will rouse him again.
Those were the days when baseball was king.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Chasing History - Minnesota Twins

Post by Gil Dobie »

Minnesota Twins 1 game from being the first team to go from 100 losses to the playoffs the next season.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yeah, but I'd rather have #1 vs #1 in the DS opener and the one game play-in after 162 games to distance yourself just seems very anti-baseball.
No. The best team in the League plays the WC in the LDS. And since the WC can't have a better record than the best team in the League (because MLB allows LDS matchups within same division), the advantage should go to the best team in the League, IMO.
The advantage is home field and playing a non-division winner (that could be debated too). Imagine if the #8 seed in the NHL playoffs had to sit their starting goalie to give the best team in the conference an advantage.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
Really? Me saying they should get rid of the extra WC team because a one game playoff flies in the face of baseball means I want only two teams in the post season? Holy hyperbole Batman.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

89Hen wrote: Imagine if the #8 seed in the NHL playoffs had to sit their starting goalie to give the best team in the conference an advantage.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Nice analogy, Z! :thumb:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: No. The best team in the League plays the WC in the LDS. And since the WC can't have a better record than the best team in the League (because MLB allows LDS matchups within same division), the advantage should go to the best team in the League, IMO.
The advantage is home field and playing a non-division winner (that could be debated too). Imagine if the #8 seed in the NHL playoffs had to sit their starting goalie to give the best team in the conference an advantage.
All playoff teams this year will have winning records on the road. Home field is an advantage, but small.
Look at 2014. Both WC winners advanced to the WS and the LDS and LCS were not even close.
And WC winners have a 23-19 record in the LDS.